An idea for critical hits.

This idea came to me and I was wondering what other people thought.  Basically, I know Wizard of the Coast is trying to combine elements from the previous editions.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the max damage on a crit thing.  There's nothing wrong with it, I just feel that its a little anti-climatic as opposed to rolling double damage.  However, instead of just putting my vote in for that method why not reach into 4th edition a little bit.

What do people think of the idea that if you crit you get to choose from a list that allows you to do a special action.  Kind of like a power from 4th.  (A little bit of a stretch, I know.  lol)  And the special action could be determined by class, race, weapon type, a combination of those or just a general list.  I haven't come up with anything specific just yet, but I think it could have potential.
I would like to see injuries - persistent random conditions that are inflicted by critical hits and dropping to 0 or less hp (or maybe a failed death save).
That's why they need to bring back critical hit and fumble charts to roll a percentile on. Me and my group still use this in our 3.5 games. Instead of rolling double damage, we do percentiles for a special effect depending on the damage type of the weapon itself being used. Some really cool stuff can happen.
One thing I really enjoy in Pathfinder is the critical hit deck. It's a deck of cards and when you score a critical hit, you draw one to see what happens. They could do something similar by having an optional rule with a random table of effects that you roll and see what happens when you crit, based on the type of attack you're using. They could even have it simplified by damage type (i.e., if you crit with a bludgeoning attack, the target is also knocked down, if you crit with a fire attack, the target ignites in flames and takes 1d6 fire damage per round until it makes a Dex save to put out the flames, etc).
I'm quite sure that there will be optional rules in the finished product about critical hits.
As for now it is only the beta of the core of the fifth edition so it makes sense we only got the basic rules covered. 
I agree - I think it would be a wonderful optional supplement to add into the game at release!  

FallingIcicle, you mentioned the Pathfinder Crit Deck.  I have mixed feelings about this approach, as the results weren't always as descriptive as I would have liked - though I did appreciate the extra effects!  I did an house ruled a critical hit table based off the called shot results from the Ultimate Combat in my Pathfinder game that I DM'd awhile back and the players loved it (then again, most of us originated from Hackmaster 4e, which has some of the most well-balanced and extensive crit tables I've seen, imho)  Having a crit table, based off damage type (S/B/P or Fire, Ice, Radiant, etc.), with body locations and severity (anything from extra damage or bleeding, to broken bones, lost limbs, or even death) would be amazing for adding in those extra character details and a bit of realism, not to mention a great story to tell while sipping on ale in the inns/bars.

"So tell me again, Bob, how'd you get that nasty scar?  And that missing eye - now that would have hurt!"

i agree, this variant of D&D could use a fumble/ crit chart. 
max damage just doesn't work for me, it's feels slightly generic. 
This idea came to me and I was wondering what other people thought.  Basically, I know Wizard of the Coast is trying to combine elements from the previous editions.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the max damage on a crit thing.  There's nothing wrong with it, I just feel that its a little anti-climatic as opposed to rolling double damage.  However, instead of just putting my vote in for that method why not reach into 4th edition a little bit.

What do people think of the idea that if you crit you get to choose from a list that allows you to do a special action.  Kind of like a power from 4th.  (A little bit of a stretch, I know.  lol)  And the special action could be determined by class, race, weapon type, a combination of those or just a general list.  I haven't come up with anything specific just yet, but I think it could have potential.

Like in Dragon Age RPG?
Yes, it would be grat!

But better than that it would be to have guides for build your own list as a group! Or as a DM if you're that way.
So you can say: "make the list thinking on race/class/weapon/fictional positioning/etcetera following these examples."
One thing I really enjoy in Pathfinder is the critical hit deck.

I've got both the critical hit and critical fumble decks as Android apps. Laughing

I think for now I'm just going to take it back to the way we used to do it back in the day. That is... nat 20 = double ROLLED damage (modifiers get doubled as well). No confirm etc.

IMO the core game should have a simple crit mechanic or no crits. People sometimes fail to realize how crits and fumbles can "break" the game when a PC or monster has multiple attacks. I hope crits/fumbles are modular though.
I thing it should be deuble damage. much more fun and climatic. Full damage kind of kills that excitement indeed.
My approach would be roll double damage and take that or max damage, whichever is higher. It does away with the lameness or rolling average damage on a crit, while retaining the game changing destructiveness possible in earlier editions.
I love you guys.
I'd kind of intended to ignore whatever crit rules they put in - but max damage on a 20 is instantaneous to apply, and doesn't create gigantic damage spikes. I'll allow it.
One thing I really enjoy in Pathfinder is the critical hit deck.

I've got both the critical hit and critical fumble decks as Android apps.

I think for now I'm just going to take it back to the way we used to do it back in the day. That is... nat 20 = double ROLLED damage (modifiers get doubled as well). No confirm etc.

I forgot about fumbles!!!  Yes, a table for critical hits and critical fumbles would pretty much be AMAZING and an insta-buy for myself and I'm sure many others!

IMO the core game should have a simple crit mechanic or no crits. People sometimes fail to realize how crits and fumbles can "break" the game when a PC or monster has multiple attacks. I hope crits/fumbles are modular though.

I agree, they definitely can.  That's why a lot of us are suggesting the additions to crits and fumbles as a module and not part of the core rules.  They can be fun, deadly and descriptive, but not for everyone. Smile

When you roll a double 1 after a critical hit, you know how bad that idea is.

In this case I see the lack of an "high critical" property, probabily because this playtest has this cut out.

Please, consider that now every dice you would roll is maxed out, even extra dice from rogue's ability.

There is something I don't get: the rule say that you deal the maximum damage allowed; if the character is intoxicated, does it count as he automatically roll a 1 on the d6 or does he roll it anyway?
I'm not sure, since the section under "Damage rolls" talk about damage dice.

I would have critical hits as fighter special ability. In my experience it is fighter players who are after important critical hits and they can feel awesome when they do a whole lot of damage even if it is rarely. Critical hits for monsters are less useful for the game as such and players of wizards and others tend to use more planing and are excited by other things than pure gambling luck of the roll.
Sign In to post comments