D&D playtester Old School

Ok, the email arrived and the links are all down.  I am old school and that means I have a bit of patience when new items roll out on line. 
I started rolling dice back in the dark ages (before on line gaming existed and we used PENCILS).  My hopes for this new release are very huge, I actually expect to be disappointed. Cry 
I see 4E as a give away to the power gamer, not the role player that made D&D a really fantastic adventure.  I tried 4E (hated it! Yell).  I prefer characters who build a back ground, acquire items and if really lucky grow into hero's with pretty cool powers.  In 4E I saw items and powers hung on frameworks we use to call the character...
Here's to hope that the role play portion comes back, "successful encounters" evolve into actually role playing an adventure, and characters are no longer are defined by card decks but by inventive imaginative players who confound DM's with original (sometime unorthodox) schemes to loot, pillage and tell bad jokes.
But hey this is just my 2 coppers worth of opinion..
Ok, the email arrived and the links are all down.  I am old school and that means I have a bit of patience when new items roll out on line. 
I started rolling dice back in the dark ages (before on line gaming existed and we used PENCILS).  My hopes for this new release are very huge, I actually expect to be disappointed.  
I see 4E as a give away to the power gamer, not the role player that made D&D a really fantastic adventure.  I tried 4E (hated it! ).  I prefer characters who build a back ground, acquire items and if really lucky grow into hero's with pretty cool powers.  In 4E I saw items and powers hung on frameworks we use to call the character...
Here's to hope that the role play portion comes back, "successful encounters" evolve into actually role playing an adventure, and characters are no longer are defined by card decks but by inventive imaginative players who confound DM's with original (sometime unorthodox) schemes to loot, pillage and tell bad jokes.

I felt 3.0 (and even 2nd with advanced player's options combat and tactics, spells and magic, etc.) were more for the power gamer type. 4e while still able to be broken by the persistant power gamer, feels more like OD&D than then 2nd or 3rd ever did.

Every edition has their strengths and weaknesses but they were all fun to play if given the chance.  
I started rolling dice back in the dark ages (before on line gaming existed and we used PENCILS).  My hopes for this new release are very huge, I actually expect to be disappointed.  
I see 4E as a give away to the power gamer, not the role player that made D&D a really fantastic adventure.  I tried 4E (hated it! ).  I prefer characters who build a back ground, acquire items and if really lucky grow into hero's with pretty cool powers.  In 4E I saw items and powers hung on frameworks we use to call the character...

It's good to have a varied playtest of all types of players so we can all try and make D&D 5e great for all of us.

With that said I play 4e and have just as detailed characters as 3.5 with just as much role play and impromptu player actions both in and out of combat *shrug*.  To me 3.5 was more to the power gamer since the mechanics in 3.5 were just as detailed and complex (if not more) but required a power game to truly excel, while 4e leveled the playing field a bit (often I see the critique of 4e was it leveled the playing field too much that it's harder for someone who invests extra time and understand to excel).  Though I guess this points out that though we have completely different opinions of editions we have the same desire (good mechanics, good roleplay).

I hope we both like 5e though, despite our difference of opinions, that would be a true testament if it can pull it off.  
Sign In to post comments