Typo? Intoxicated gives you damage reduction? :-D

Intoxicated seems to give a damage reduction of 1d6. This could be right, meaning that alcohol lessens the pain, but that much? Is this meant to be like that? Note that I would actually like this!

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

That's what it says in my packet. I liked this condition. One of the devs, Jeremy I think, also liked this too.
Seems like fair compensation for disadvantage on attacks and checks (every d20 roll).
Well, maybe you're all stupid-drunk and can't tell that you're hurt.

Plus, I think I've heard that drunk drivers often survive crashes where other drivers/passengers don't.  Maybe being drunk lets you "roll with it".
I think I've heard that drunk drivers often survive crashes where other drivers/passengers don't.

They don't tense up, which avoids bad whiplash and such.  Best advice if you are about to crash: go limp.
What I like the most is that it works very well for Defenders, and thus, in particular, the Mountain Dwarf Moradin Cleric is best used when drunk!

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!

*All my latest rolls!*

- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

What I like the most is that it works very well for Defenders, and thus, in particular, the Mountain Dwarf Moradin Cleric is best used when drunk!

Time to load one keg of gut buster into the wagon, pronto. Blessed by Moradin first, o' course.

Time to load one keg of gut buster into the wagon, pronto. Blessed by Moradin first, o' course.

It will also be quite anti-economic to be a dwarf and be intoxicated all the time... Who knows how much gut buster you'd need, with the posion immunity and everything!

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

I think it's supposed to account for someone who's drunk to ignore pain, however I think it's a bit too powerful for my campain settings. My groups tend to play low level campagins, and I just know that my power gamers are going to start playing "drunken sword masters" and the like because it will allow them drastically reduce the damage they take.

Perhaps I'll modify it to -1d6 to subdual dmg, or allow them to operate up to -10 in health instead of dropping 0.

It's realistic to ignore pain while your drunk. It's unrealistic to say that an arrow that just pierced your belly didn't hurt you at all cause you were drunk.
It's realistic to ignore pain while your drunk. It's unrealistic to say that an arrow that just pierced your belly didn't hurt you at all cause you were drunk.

HP is an abstaction as it is: you likely didn't take said arrow to the gut until you droped to 0hp or lower.
It's unrealistic to say that an arrow that just pierced your belly didn't hurt you at all cause you were drunk.

It's equally unrealistic to say that an arrow that just pierced your belly didn't immediately take you out of the fight altogether, no matter how much damage was rolled on it.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Fine, it pierced your calf instead. As it stands, being drunk at level 1 effectivally doubles your hitpoints. I find that to be too powerful for something that is to simulate the dulling of your pain sensors. 
Still comes with a negative d20 on every roll you make.
Still comes with a negative d20 on every roll you make.

Well it's not so much a "negative d20", just that you take the lowest of two d20's.  Not the worse negative effect really for d6 damage reduction.  Though it depends to on how long being intoxicated lasts.  May have missed it, but I don't think there's any rules yet to govern how long you'll stay drunk or if they're going to break down how much will actually get you drunk.  I'm going to assume it'll revolve around Con checks.  I'm just hoping they'll do a monk, and then a drunken master if they have thinks like paragon paths/prestige classes/etc.
I don't care about realism, this is a fantasy game, but they'd better keep this in the final version. It might get a little bit tired having everybody roleplay their character drunk all the time, but it'll encourage roleplaying. And it perfectly simulates addiction, you need an in game mechanical benefit to encourage characters to keep drinking.
Intoxicated seems to give a damage reduction of 1d6. This could be right, meaning that alcohol lessens the pain, but that much? Is this meant to be like that? Note that I would actually like this!

Some muds I used to play on have rules like this. Intoxication would boost healing rate so all the characters would get wasted during big fights and be vomiting as often as they swung weapons.
I can tell you from my own experiences that being heavily intoxicated will not let you resist bodily damage.It will however allow you to ignore the pain associated with it.Since hp is not supposed to be just bodily damage taken this works just as well as anything else.I did not read the rules but I would think there would be some negative effects from being drunk enough to gain dr.Something like a minus 1 to hit and or a/c and or skill checks etc.

Now you have an excellent base rule to play your dwarven ale sluggging monk with the drunken monkey style.   
This would be cool if it were true.  However, it is also true that the drunken elf wizard can stagger around the room firing off magic missiles with impunity...

That doesn't seem right to me... 

Dealing with WotC customer service is like milking an emu... You might get scratched, bitten or kicked, or might simply be ignored, but you won't be successful... and people will think you odd for trying.
This would be cool if it were true.  However, it is also true that the drunken elf wizard can stagger around the room firing off magic missiles with impunity...

That doesn't seem right to me... 

"Wheeeee! Pretty lights! Pretty lights *EVERYWHERE*!!!!"

And that is why he takes less damage, because teh enemy doesn't want to get close to him :D 
"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup If dragons are to be invovled, I much prefer to play as a dragon, dragon rider, dragonslayer-slayer, dragonfriend, or anything else *but* a dragonslayer.
Give Cleric Guardian a reach weapon.
Give Cleric Guardian a drink
Give Cleric Guardian 2 levels
Give everyone else in party ranged weapons
Rocks Falls

:D

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

I can tell you from my own experiences that being heavily intoxicated will not let you resist bodily damage.It will however allow you to ignore the pain associated with it.Since hp is not supposed to be just bodily damage taken this works just as well as anything else.I did not read the rules but I would think there would be some negative effects from being drunk enough to gain dr.Something like a minus 1 to hit and or a/c and or skill checks etc.

Now you have an excellent base rule to play your dwarven ale sluggging monk with the drunken monkey style.   

Yeah, you have disadvantage on all attack rolls and skill checks.  Basically when your drunk(intoxicated), you reduce all damage by a d6.  But you also have disadvantage on every roll you make.  So when drunk you'll have to roll 2d20's and take the lowest of the two, which could be bad.

On the other side, even with a disadvantage you still run the chance of it being more beneficial then just being normal.  I mean even taking the lowest of the two gives you twice the chance to succeed. 
The weird thing to me about intoxication is that, assuming that HP scales approximately as the first three levels suggest, it's a pretty okay benefit (mixed with a significant drawback) at low levels, but rapidly becomes irrelevant later. Disadvantage is always reletively bad; 1d6 DR starts out great and then stops mattering much. (Probably. I have no idea what scaling looks like exactly.)
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.

Yeah, you have disadvantage on all attack rolls and skill checks.  Basically when your drunk(intoxicated), you reduce all damage by a d6.  But you also have disadvantage on every roll you make.  So when drunk you'll have to roll 2d20's and take the lowest of the two, which could be bad.

On the other side, even with a disadvantage you still run the chance of it being more beneficial then just being normal.  I mean even taking the lowest of the two gives you twice the chance to succeed. 

Two chances to succeed/crit two chances to fail/fumble.
The weird thing to me about intoxication is that, assuming that HP scales approximately as the first three levels suggest, it's a pretty okay benefit (mixed with a significant drawback) at low levels, but rapidly becomes irrelevant later. Disadvantage is always reletively bad; 1d6 DR starts out great and then stops mattering much. (Probably. I have no idea what scaling looks like exactly.)

Well, apart from the fact that with the HP scaling I'm seeing, the d6 remains relevant for quite a bit, I think it's ok t make it a desirable status only at low levels: it's a lowly thing after all! It gives that "adventurers just becoming so" feel, the fact that they actually need to drink to survive. If it was a benefit for many levels, it would become a bad joke! As it is, it's between a good joke and a realistic thing! I think I'd just make it 1d6-1, or 1d4 though.

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

I like this condition.  It gives roleplaying benefits and consequences in combat.  

I AM STRONGEST *HIC*
I think the most amusing trait of this whole "drinking problem" is that it's an inversion of what the Dwarf Fortress universe teaches about being intoxicated.

"Being on fire sure makes me thirsty for a beer."

To the Devs: Don't change intoxication! Fun and funny glitches are very much a part to a game's identity as anything else.
I love the take-the-lowest mechanic for being drunk. Seems perfect. Im fine with the benefit.

Sadly ... since the Dwarf is immune to poison, it seems he wont be able to benefit from this Intoxicated condition.  
Not necessarily, immunity would be antibodies getting rallied to attack the invading pathogen. Alcohol is actually produced on a small level in the stomach by fermenting carb based foods, so if the antibodies were called in every time you ate something, you'd find the dwarf developing an alergy to apples.
I think Intoxicated is too steep. Id prefer -2 to all checks for a +2 to damage.
If it's all in your head, shouldn't intoxicated give a chance of not reducing damage at all, or giving you a slight chance of being a big drunk crybaby? Say, reduction of 1d6 -2?

Also, do we really want D&D Next to be known as "the one where you should be drunkall the time?"
As the limitation is pretty severe, I think a damage reduction of 1-6 is pretty reasonable. As it won't scale with your HP or the more dangerous attacks at higher level, I doubt it will be a viable enough benefit as things scale.

Essentiall, its more likely to be "the game of recovering alcoholics" than "the one where you should be drunk all the time." In addition, I'm pretty okay with that.

Also, do we really want D&D Next to be known as "the one where you should be drunkall the time?"

Yes, yes, we do.
The thing is to people keep talking about how their entire party is just going to remain drunk all the time, or get drunk before going into a situation where they're most likely going to fight.  And they think they've come across this awesome benefit for a little damage reduction with not much penalty.  But seriously, I can't think of a DM who would just let them do that without more repercussions.  It doesn't matter if the rules say intoxicated only gives disadvantage on rolls and dam reduction, a smart DM who sees his players trying to take advantage of this is going to penalize them.  Make it so they can't charge because they're too uncoordinated drunk, or else when they're sober they're going to still suffer the disadvantage or something worse because of hangovers, or any number of things.  Or even just telling the group he's no longer going to allow the damage reduction if the party is just going to drink all the time.  Or any number of things.  And if the DM isn't smart enough to figure out how ridiculous it is for the party to be drunk all or nearly all the time without real consequence then he deserves what he gets I guess.

But this really isn't a big deal, not even a huge advantage or anything. 
I like the parts of the condition EXCEPT for the damage reduction. It just doesn't seem logical.
It's not unbalanced, just silly.
I don't think this will be abused (since disadvantage is a huge drawback) except by wizards only casting save spells. Maybe add to it that all creatures have advantage when saving against spells you cast. 
I like the parts of the condition EXCEPT for the damage reduction. It just doesn't seem logical.
It's not unbalanced, just silly.

It actually does make sense.  If you've been drunk you really don't feel pain sometimes, you're kinda numb to it.  That's why drunk people do stupid crap and get stab and whatnot and don't feel it.  That's basically what the DR is for.  They're still getting hit but they don't feel all the pain so it affects them less.
I don't think this will be abused (since disadvantage is a huge drawback) except by wizards only casting save spells. Maybe add to it that all creatures have advantage when saving against spells you cast. 

Actually DV isn't that huge of a drawback.  Yeah you take the lesser of the two but it still gives you twice the chance to hit.  And if you roll an 18 and a 16 you're still most likely going to be hitting even if forced to take the 16.  So it isn't a big deal, but at the same time I think adding more negatives to it really isn't necessary either.
The silliness is all of the fun with this condition.

I asked Mike on Twitter "would it make sense that someone's save would have advantage against an intoxicated wizard's spell?" and he replied "Seems reasonable."
"I don't want to fight dragons." - Hiccup If dragons are to be invovled, I much prefer to play as a dragon, dragon rider, dragonslayer-slayer, dragonfriend, or anything else *but* a dragonslayer.
This is questionable. Since HP are an abstraction (takes into account luck, skill, toughness), being drunk should probably make combat skill worse, ergo, more likely to lose HP. That 1st level fighter that does 1d8 damage with a sword should be more likely to kill the drunk guy than less likely to kill the drunk guy. Perhaps that could be ameliorated by the property "attacks against the creature have advantage" along with the d6 damage reduction to take into account the "Liquid Courage" factor. In other words, not only are your attacks less likely to hit, but you're more likely to get hit, even if it won't hurt you quite as much. I still think d6 damage reduction seems a bit silly in this regard, especially for low level campaigns.

I asked Mike on Twitter "would it make sense that someone's save would have advantage against an intoxicated wizard's spell?" and he replied "Seems reasonable."

But why?  A drunk wizard has disadvantage because that represents how being drunk is impairing their ability to do stuff.  All adding advantage for saves is doing is just adding even more penalty that is unneeded.  The advantage to the save is basically the same thing, a representation of impaired spell casting because of being drunk.  That's already covered by the disadvantage on the player so doubling that up is pointless and just heaping more penalties on the player needlessly.  Now if you were to trade the disadvantage to rolls for the target getting advantage on the save against the spell that would make sense because the equate the same idea.  Or even doing something like, "Player has disadvantage on all skill rolls.  Targets of spells cast by player have advantage against saves against spell effects" would be alright.  Now that I type it out though it sounds much better just saying you have disadvantage on your rolls that what I typed out about the advantage and such...  But heaping the advantage to target saves on top of roll disadvantage is too much, or just simple needless and unfair.
Sign In to post comments