On one thing we can all agree: we love the D&D game.

I was very pleased today with the downloading of the DnD Next Playstest packet. I like the new system very much and I find it very smooth. I gave my players the 'How to Play' pdf booklet in printed form and told them to study it so we could start playing this preview of the game.

We are all so excited.

Edition wars aside, veterans vs newcomers aside and different playstyles aside, we can all safely say that we love the Dungeons and Dragons game and we all want to see it succeed!

So "Let's Go Wotc" and "Let's Go DnD Next"!
I like D&D. I like the simplicity and such. And this edition is supposed to be more simple and versatile - which is good 8D.
I don't care for the name or it's setting or it's history. If this edition doesn't shape up into something I want I'd gladly go elsewhere.

We care for the name, we care for the setting, we care for the legacy since we love the Dungeons and Dragons game and all that it has brought us throughout all this arc of time.
i think regardless of how good 5th ed is, 4th ed was getting fry towards the end and i think we can all trust WotC to not release a bad game. the main thing im wonderign is how the timeline will shift. 3rd ed to 4th ed was a big shift in story and had alot of blanks and confusion. it was a perfect place for dms to decide how they wanted fate to work itself out

I'd like to thank WotC for bringing the beta to us. I've read everything (hadn't yet had the chance to play yet), but I like what I've read A LOT. You guys are on the right track, sure a lot will need to be adjusted and this is just the core system, but we have faith in you and the playtest with the core rules to me now feels solid and fun. Thank you for giving us the chance to play a game such as D&D!
I really like what DnD wants to be. But 5th makes me think it isn't going to get there.

/Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.
I will not agree to this. Sorry, but like any consumer product out there, I'm not attached to a name. If D&D's goal is to wallow in D&D's past, I'll move on to games I like, and not stick with something I'm not 100% with. I liked D&D 4e, not D&D as a whole.

And right now? OSH and Savage Worlds are looking a far bit better than 5e.
I will not agree to this. Sorry, but like any consumer product out there, I'm not attached to a name. If D&D's goal is to wallow in D&D's past, I'll move on to games I like, and not stick with something I'm not 100% with. I liked D&D 4e, not D&D as a whole.

And right now? OSH and Savage Worlds are looking a far bit better than 5e.

Pretty much exactly this. 4th was a revelation to me, finally the game (which I have collected for a good 20 years) was being done right!

They want to go back to the way it was? Awesome, I'll be stepping off before the 5th edition station comes along...

There is still a year before the final product will be for sale, but at this point I plan to play 4e until I can't get a game and then debate whether to switch to Pathfinder or a couple of new games that are coming out.  The 5e I playtested is not in the running.
i think regardless of how good 5th ed is, 4th ed was getting fry towards the end and i think we can all trust WotC to not release a bad game. the main thing im wonderign is how the timeline will shift. 3rd ed to 4th ed was a big shift in story and had alot of blanks and confusion. it was a perfect place for dms to decide how they wanted fate to work itself out

2e to 3e was a huge shift with blanks and confusion as well. Its the WoTC way.

As for the quality of the product, it really doesnt matter at this point. DND is a brand and whatever they make it, it will sell.
Honestly - Dungeons and Dragons was simply "my first".

I've got no loyalty to it. With D&D Next - I'm simply curious.

I dropped 4th because it was built very strongly around minis and boards. I don't play tactical war games.

Anywho - I'll lurk about - post some opinions and then go away again for a year or three.
Discussions on these forums have, multiple times, come to the conclusion that no, I apparently don't love "D&D".  I sure like fantasy adventure RPGs, and I've enjoyed me some D&D games, but I've no "allegiance" to the game, its name, or its legacy.

OSH and Savage Worlds are looking a far bit better than 5e.

Osh?  Highfive!
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
I don't care for the name or it's setting or it's history. If this edition doesn't shape up into something I want I'd gladly go elsewhere.

Then you sir, are in the wrong place.

Then you sir, are in the wrong place.

What an odd little statement. I do wonder, you honestly feel such loyalty to this brand that you would pay for supplements if you didn't like them?

A brand that has long since passed from it's creator to the same company that brought us Battleship?
I was very pleased today with the downloading of the DnD Next Playstest packet. I like the new system very much and I find it very smooth. I gave my players the 'How to Play' pdf booklet in printed form and told them to study it so we could start playing this preview of the game.

We are all so excited.

Edition wars aside, veterans vs newcomers aside and different playstyles aside, we can all safely say that we love the Dungeons and Dragons game and we all want to see it succeed!

So "Let's Go Wotc" and "Let's Go DnD Next"!

Do we have to put up with these topics every time a new edition comes out?

Maybe in 3 years when 6ed DND comes out.
I have had fun in all the edditions. And I do love D&D and all its history. And will play 5th eddition as I have had all other Eddition.

I will not threaten to quite just cause everything isn't exactly as I want it. I realize that they are trying to please as many people as they can.

And when it all comes down to it I make every eddition mine. I use only the rules I want in my game. In my 4th game I use mostly 4th rules for players and 3 ed monsters since most 4th ed monsters are high inflated hp.

I use Dragons from 3 because to me when a char in 4th get to the lvl to fight a dragon. most players are not worried about a dragon with a 4d6 breath weopon.