Hit Points

Good starting value and I really like the way Con modifier is used when advancing - a clever compromise, imo.
Negative hit-point max also levels.
I was a bit worried about the "hit dice" mechanic from L&L, but I really like the way it looks in the playtest.  Since you gain 1/2 hit dice as hit points, when you roll for healing you've got much better chances of getting most (if not all) your health back.

Actually like this more than 4e healing surges now.
I was a bit worried about the "hit dice" mechanic from L&L, but I really like the way it looks in the playtest.  Since you gain 1/2 hit dice as hit points, when you roll for healing you've got much better chances of getting most (if not all) your health back.

The new system has the advantage of keeping hit point totals lower throughout the game, as well, which should go a long way toward shortening combat length, which is something that improves on both 3.x and 4E.

I'm slightly confused as to whether you roll for hit points at each level after 1st, though. The section on Constitution (How to Play) indicates that you do, but the character sheets provide a flat number.

The new system has the advantage of keeping hit point totals lower throughout the game, as well, which should go a long way toward shortening combat length, which is something that improves on both 3.x and 4E.

I'm slightly confused as to whether you roll for hit points at each level after 1st, though. The section on Constitution (How to Play) indicates that you do, but the character sheets provide a flat number.

Huh, I missed that.  I wonder why the pregens just automatically get 1/2 hit die.  Maybe that's a module/alternate option?
I think that's just so they get a common experience from all playtesters. Makes sense to go the middle route. Otherwise they'll hear complaints about the fighter with 24 hit points at lvl 3 instead of actual feedback on the play feel.

But while we're on that note, that is EXACTLY my problem with hit die...
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.
Yeah I would like to know how this is assigned as well. I am especially confused with the Wizards 16 hp at lvl 1
@Vash108 - Con score + 1d4 (in this case 2) = 16 for the wizard makes sense to me.

From the document you gain Con Score at 1st level plus your hit die (1D?).
    When you level up you gain the higher of your Hit die roll or con mod.
Thus the wizard as presented can't get 1 hp per level due to the Con score of 14 (+2). Seems simple.

Yeah I would like to know how this is assigned as well. I am especially confused with the Wizards 16 hp at lvl 1

Starting HP is CON SCORE + 1/2 hit die.

So 14 (con) + 1/2 (1d4) = 16.
Hit Dice mundane healing is Hit Die + Con... that's cool.

Long Rest replenishes all your HP and all your HD... I think the full HP is too much. 

Wasn't a fan of full HP sleep in 4e.  I would be happy with all that Level amount of HD + Con compared to 1 HP of pre4e.  I feel there should be some hangover to a day of adventuring.  Maybe:

Wake up with 1/2 your HPs or in other words you wake up no longer Bloodied.

Wake up with 1/2 your HPs restored.

Why even present d4/d6/d8 if you just get half of it?  Might as well just present the actual number instead.
Because there are two ways of doing it.  Roll the die, or take the average/half.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
@Vash108 - Con score + 1d4 (in this case 2) = 16 for the wizard makes sense to me.

From the document you gain Con Score at 1st level plus your hit die (1D?).
    When you level up you gain the higher of your Hit die roll or con mod.
Thus the wizard as presented can't get 1 hp per level due to the Con score of 14 (+2). Seems simple.

Ok, I was thinking it was just dice + con mod 

The only real problem I see is the fact that no matter how hurt you are, as long as you have 1 hit point, you can just go to sleep for 8 hours and be fully healed and have all your hit dice back. An extended rest just needs to give a certain number of hit dice back, which then could be used to heal (some) after a rest, but could take a while to fully recover if you were previously on Death's door.

Just the first problematic item I happened to notice as I was perusing the packet.

The only real problem I see is the fact that no matter how hurt you are, as long as you have 1 hit point, you can just go to sleep for 8 hours and be fully healed and have all your hit dice back. An extended rest just needs to give a certain number of hit dice back, which then could be used to heal (some) after a rest, but could take a while to fully recover if you were previously on Death's door.

Just the first problematic item I happened to notice as I was perusing the packet.

It's up to the DM when extended rests are possible though. It's not really a problem.

D&D Encounters takes care of that issue by only giving extended rests every 3 sessions or so. 
Wizard's first rule: People are stupid.
Long Rest replenishes all your HP and all your HD... I think the full HP is too much. 

Wasn't a fan of full HP sleep in 4e.  I would be happy with all that Level amount of HD + Con compared to 1 HP of pre4e. 

Ditto.
Why even present d4/d6/d8 if you just get half of it?  Might as well just present the actual number instead.

I think you get to roll, and that half-maximum value is a static advancement option.  They probably just wanted HPs to be stable among the different playtest groups to avoid biased feeback like "the fighter is too squishy because he only has 15 HP" (meaning that the player rolled a 1 on their HP).

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

My issue with not giving full HP on a 'long rest' is that it marganilizes the advantages of a larger HP Pool

Example

32HP Figther, 16HP Wizard
Fighter takes 24 damage (3/4)
Wizard takes 12 damage (3/4)
Since HP is abstract; the actual level healthiness in them is the same (1/4 their hp total, aka not good)

Rest restores 1d6+level (as a randomish example) HP.
Wizard heals 6 hp, fighter heals 8

Wizard is at 10/16 (or roughly 5/8's their total)
Fighter is at 16/32 (or roughly 1/2 of their total)

Despite having a better roll, the fighter Effectively healed less on the same time frame. 
Mearls had mentioned in L&L that if a character is dropped to negative hit points, he might be out of commission for a few days while he heals. I really wanted to see that represented in the extended rest mechanics -- not the full rest crud.