Playtest

So today is may 24, I have been eagerly anticipating new D&D... But whee is it? I expected some fanfare on the website or at least an email with some info about what's going on.
So what's the deal guys?
It will simply be raleased later in the day.
"Later today, we will be making the materials available to all playtesters."
I've just had my email
I just got the playtest email, too.
Some have been sent an email already, others will have to wait until later today.
I got my email, just waiting the 30-60 mins for the follow-up, can't wait!!!!!

Seuss (lordseussmd on YM) 
Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
I got the early email, but the link to the packet just sends me to the sign-up link.
I just got the playtest email, but I can't log in on the link it gives. I'm sure I have the password right (I can log in here just fine), but I also can't log in to email customer service. Has anyone else had this problem?
I've received the email linking to the playtest materials, but when I click the link, it just takes me to the Wizard's Customer Support homepage. (The link resolves to the root address of wizards.custhelp.com.)

Is anyone else having this problem? I am logged in to that site.
Same here. The link I've got from the playtest e-mail redirects me to Wizards Customer Service page...
The link to the packet is being 302 redirected to wizards.custhelp.com/ yes.

It's not just thee.

I had the same link on work and home email addresses so it's not personalised.

Broken for all.

Ooops.

Some poor buggers running around now trying to fix I'm sure. 
So....5e...failure right out of the gate.

+1 for Customer Service Page. I will grab a coffee in the meantime and hope it will pass some time. Then I will log back in and see.
So I signed in no problem and waiting for my email. Can not really say it is a failure since I had no problems and I am sure most people did not. It is kind of intresting how many people want them to fail with this. Can not even wait to see what it is before attacking it.
I too am getting sent to a customer service page when trying to click the download link. Woe is me.
Role Play Craft : Crafting Ideas, Modules, and Options for your Role Playing Game.
The problem is not with the first email, it's the second one, the important one with the links to download the materials. Those links don't work as of now.
I keep getting the redirect too, I'm wondering if the page crashed from too much server load and so it's directing people to Cust Service by default

Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

This is not helping your cause, Wizards. 
The link is of the http://wizards.custhelp.com/rd?1=xxx&2=xxx variety. This is a redirect script. It looks like it's got no where to redirect, one or both of the ids are wrong I guess, and so it's just bouncing back to the root of the link when it fails.

So it's not that it's going to customer service site for any reason other than that's where the redirect script is.

Let's all freak out now! People made it through the D3 launch, we can get through this.
Come on people, this is no computer game, none of us will be able to play before actually reading the files. What's a few technological hiccups now... We know the files exists, it just a little technical problem, probably due to some people at wotc not that computer savy.

Wait for a bit, you'll have the files soon enough... (and no , I don't have the files yet, I have yet to recieve second email...)

Patience is a virtue... and apparently virtue is overrated nowadays....
Come on people, this is no computer game, none of us will be able to play before actually reading the files. What's a few technological hiccups now... We know the files exists, it just a little technical problem, probably due to some people at wotc not that computer savy.

Wait for a bit, you'll have the files soon enough... (and no , I don't have the files yet, I have yet to recieve second email...)

Patience is a virtue... and apparently virtue is overrated nowadays....

Amen brother Cool 

It's about professionalism, or a lack thereof. If I dealt with my customers this way I would be in a lot of trouble.
Worked for me...  at least step 1.

Congratulations! You are officially signed up to participate in the D&D Next Playtest. You should receive an email within the next 30-60 minutes with instructions on how to download the playtest materials. If you do not see the email in that timeframe, make sure to check your spam folders in case the instructions were accidentally moved there

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It's about professionalism, or a lack thereof. If I dealt with my customers this way I would be in a lot of trouble.

You're not exactly a customer of a free test packet for an alpha ruleset of a game that's going to be released in a year or two, though.

Quibbling will get us no where. These things happen, and we're all adult enough (hopefully) to give them some time. If this were the 5e release then you could pontificate about customer service. Now, however, is not the time. 
Role Play Craft : Crafting Ideas, Modules, and Options for your Role Playing Game.
According to Twitter it looks like they're on the case ... remember to use the link in your email though, it probably won't appear on the page you're getting redirected to just now.
This thread is just full of shenanigans and hooliganism.

/grabs a bucket of popcorn 
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

Good, I now have a reason to come back to work... :D

P.S. It's 3 PM where I live...

Tech guys have been informed.

twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/205649020... 
Professionalism you say ? Which professionalism, in fact. Wotc is in the buisness of making game, and publishing books and cards. Where is it required to know everything there is to know about computers, emails, redirecting, and so on and so forth. If you want to blame somebody, blame the tech division of wotc, not the designers. The game won't be better or worse because of this technical problem

(btw got the second email, same as you, can't get the file, now I'll rage for a bit.... not.)
Is it possible to get set up without having signed up for the e-mail? I was under the impression it's just a "reminder", so I know a number of folks who hadn't bothered. I'm assuming/hoping there will be a link from the homepage or somesuch?
Considering the majority of the 4e rules updates involved WotC posting a link but missing the underlying files being linked to, I am unsurprised by this turn of events.  (A little disappointed they still haven't sorted this kind of release out yet, but not surprised.)

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Hey all. I'm defintely aware of the issue and I've done all the appropriate notifying. Hoping the problems will be fixed very, very shortly. I'll make a blanket post when I have more info.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Thanks for the update Trevor.
Hey all. I'm defintely aware of the issue and I've done all the appropriate notifying. Hoping the problems will be fixed very, very shortly. I'll make a blanket post when I have more info.

Thanks Trevorr! We eagerly await news.
Thank you as well Trevor. I, like many here, are extremely excited to check this out. And soon, we shall!
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
Didn't got the e-mail yet, lets hope they won't forget me ! 
Didn't got the e-mail yet, lets hope they won't forget me ! 

The emails are going out in batches, and there's still plenty of batches left, so I'm almost certain you'll be good to go. And hopefully we'll have this issue fixed by then too!

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

The issues actually make me feel ... kinda good.  See, I got the email but can't download the stuff from where I am.  So knowing the rest of ya'all have to wait with me is pretty friggin' cool. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

You're not exactly a customer of a free test packet for an alpha ruleset of a game that's going to be released in a year or two, though.

Quibbling will get us no where. These things happen, and we're all adult enough (hopefully) to give them some time. If this were the 5e release then you could pontificate about customer service. Now, however, is not the time. 

I've been a customer of D&D products for 33 years at the last count.

I'm also a professional IT manager.

You test links before they go live. It's that simple.