The "Why Don't We Have A Planechase Thread?" Thread

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
So. Planechase.

Dicuss.

Ok, fine, here's some specific things to discuss:

We have a Kephalai card!

We have a demon ninja!

And... we have a card for the Talon Gates, of all things. Huh.

I'm liking the set so far, although it doesn't have as many old planes as I would like. The Talon Gates and Aretopolis are pretty sweet though.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I am of the opposite opinion on the Talon Gates.
I think the art is bland and the card itself clunky. I mean... suspend? Really!?
Additionally, I really hate that Akoum deals with enchantments of all things.

Aretopolis is a home run, and I'm liking a lot of other things too.
Not a big fan of the legends though. Cool concepts but small things just throw the rest of it off.
Show

Grove of the Dream Pods
Plane - Fabacin

When you planswalk to Grove of the Dream Pods or at beginning of your upkeep, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of your deck in any order.
:chaos:: Whenever you roll :chaos:, return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

I want to learn more about this strange land of pea-pod dream cocoons.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

The phenomenon cards are amazing.

The random nature of Planechase certainly conveyed that the multiverse was a strange, unpredictable place. But I didn't notice until it was changed how safe it was to planeswalk in this format. The worst that can happen is you end up in a plane you're not fond of, and then you can just keep walking. But the Blind Eternities are scary. Very scary. The horrific screaming non-space between planes has always been characterized as not a fun place to be, even for planeswalkers. And now, when you and your opponents are hopping between planes, there's a chance that the rules of reality will slip and causality will vomit some unexpected paradox all over you.

Not only is the destination uncertain but planeswalking is itself an uncertain act now. I didn't know the flavor was broken until they fixed it.

I like the phenomena we've already seen and I can't wait to see what more they'll do with the card type.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
I like the legends, but want story for them. ALl of them make me happy for EDH.
The Demon Ninja is interesting to me for all the wrong reason. I find the concept hilariously absurd, and amusing, but has no business actually exsisting.
I'm neutral on talon gates: I like the mechanics, but I have no attachment to the location itself.
I agree with barinellos on Akoum...why is that the area that cares about enchantments?
Felidar Umbra is an awesome nod to Zendikar
The original cards are all interesting in various ways. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
The demon ninja bothers me considerably, not because of the lolwutness, but because it's not a demon spirit.

Maybe if they suggested it was possessing an ogre or some such, but I'd like to think they'd make that more apparent.
Akoum is a flavor disaster, no argument there.

I think I just like any sight of our old familiar planes, even if it is a place like the Talon Gates that I had no particular connection with. The card itself... yeah, it's odd. But I personally enjoy the art. I just hope we get more than that as far as older planes go...

@Yanmato:

I like that way of looking at the Phenomena. I mean, they don't all express the danger of the Multiverse, but something like Planar Tunneling... man, that really drives home that Dominia is a weird and unpredictable place. You know, this actually also opens flavorful space up for things like the Eldrazi or the Timmerian Fiends (I WON'T LET THIS DIE) or even something like the portal to Phyrexia being encountered by the players. I can imagine phenomena where the players have to briefly team up against one of the larger threats lurking within the chaos of the Blind Eternities.

Really hoping Brady does another column about the different planes...

I also love that they had artists just create landscapes this time around that they built cards off of. That's really cool design.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...
Last one wasn't done by Brady. That said, I'mma shank somebody if we don't get another one of these articles.

And yeah, it's interesting that some of these arose from an art first situation... though Lair of the Ashen Idol doesn't feel right to me for that landscape. Wouldn't have done zombies. Like the sacrifice thing though. Very sacrifice to the volcano god... Wish the chaos would have been some sort of eruption rather.

And it really really does run too closely to Phyrexia for my taste.

And the Talon Gates art really isn't that good. The colors are very pretty, with the teal and blue, but the rift looks awful and the Gates themselves probably needed to be better worked (seriously, nothing about that screams "remains of a dead leviathan"). I do like the desaturation as they move further back into the storms, but the centerpiece just... utterly fails to impress.
Honestly sort of wish it had just been an ocean and bore the name Vodalia or something.

... We need an Etlan Shiis plane. Or SOME underwater plane.
I think my favorite thing about Planechase is that it gives us lots of cool planes to draw inspiration from.

I designed my first for realsies walker as a resident of Valla, so I'm kind of hoping they never go back there and render all my work non-canon. :P
Hm, I think I'm going to wait to judge the Talon Gates till I can see it in a larger size... there's some elements that look rather Leviathanesque but yeah, at the moment it's hard to see just what it is... Still, Chippy always makes me happy. What can I say? I just like his style.
Hm, I think I'm going to wait to judge the Talon Gates till I can see it in a larger size... there's some elements that look rather Leviathanesque but yeah, at the moment it's hard to see just what it is... Still, Chippy always makes me happy. What can I say? I just like his style.

Chippy is honestly one of my favorite artists. Easily in the top three if not my absolute favorite.
Angelheart vial and Windwright mage are amongst my all time faves.
I get a very Mirrodin-quicksilver sea vibe from Talon gates.

The mecahnics of the planes seem hit or miss most of the time. Talon's Gate is just a wall of text that has very little to do with Talon's gate (either as the remains of a leviathan, or as a place assocaited with Bolas). Some of them just feel...random. Akoum gives all enchantments flash?

I'm starting to see a pattern here. Mirrodin gets Scry, Talon's Gates gets suspend, Jund gets devour... i'm surpsied Ravnica doesn't give convoke, and Kamigawa give Ninjitsu.
… and then, the squirrels came.
Pft, the one thing more famous than Convoke that was associated with the Selesnyans was Doubling Season.
Though I sort of expected Privileged Position based on that art.

Incidentally, super excited we'll finally get ravnican saprolings come fall.
Pft, the one thing more famous than Convoke that was associated with the Selesnyans was Doubling Season.

Yeah, the whole thing feels very lazy. Pick a mechanic from the block where the Plane was last used, and slap it onto the plane card. The planes that don't try to incorperate a keyword into thier text are alot nice to read, and i think are more natural.

I understand that the Talon gates, Quicksilver seas, and other planes are difficult to make abilities for, but I think if you look into the flavor and character of the location, you'd be able to manage. And if you can't... why are you making a plane card set there?
… and then, the squirrels came.
Didn't we have this same problem the first time around? I mean, I never really noticed that much, because I always get stuck on the art and forget to read all the way to the bottom of the card, but I remember complaints at the time that the mechanics didn't make a whooole lot of sense.

I still think the mechanics for Talon Gates make sense. I mean, it's not like they're super memorable besides the fact that they are the focal point of the first Time Rift. And at least according to the description on Salvation, the art is actually accurate to how the Gates are described in the books...
Well folks if we can't return to Kamigawa, then we might as well sneak a few cards into Planechase, or M13.
Well folks if we can't return to Kamigawa, then we might as well sneak a few cards into Planechase, or M13.

Hell you got a planeswalker too. That's more than most planes get.... LIKE MERCADIA.
abloobloobloo!
Mercadia only got one plane too... as did Ulgrotha, but at least Ulgrotha is getting some significant core set love now.

Poor Mercadia... maybe it will get more attention when they reveal that it's Jace's home world.
Mercadia only got one plane too... as did Ulgrotha, but at least Ulgrotha is getting some significant core set love now.

Poor Mercadia... maybe it will get more attention when they reveal that it's Jace's home world.

It doesn't even have a feature on the site!
www.wizards.com/magic/Multiverse/Planes....

Injustice!
Incidentally, I would murder for a Kyren planeswalker, but everyone else would then murder everyone else because they'd finally have a goblin planeswalker and it wouldn't be a warty green little eyesore with the iq of a brick...

Hell you got a planeswalker too. That's more than most planes get.... LIKE MERCADIA.
abloobloobloo!

Or Homelands :3

I thought Ravnica was Jace's home plane?

Anyway, I personally like having a suspend plane. I began playing during Time Spiral, so it's sort of nostalgiac. Especially since we'll likely never see Suspend return to regular Magic again
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

Anyway, I personally like having a suspend plane. I began playing during Time Spiral, so it's sort of nostalgiac. Especially since we'll likely never see Suspend return to regular Magic again

>sigh< Nobody ever keeps that straight.
No, Jace is not from Ravnica. It's where he's staying these days.
He's from the hamlet of Silmott's Crossing, which is technicallyt he name of everyplace within 50 miles of his home. We don't know what plane that is, but I lean towards Mercadia for a handful of reasons. It's not canon, but I call it fanon.

>sigh< Nobody ever keeps that straight.
No, Jace is not from Ravnica. It's where he's staying these days.
He's from the hamlet of Silmott's Crossing, which is technicallyt he name of everyplace within 50 miles of his home. We don't know what plane that is, but I lean towards Mercadia for a handful of reasons. It's not canon, but I call it fanon.

Got it. Sorry.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Got it. Sorry.

Don't be. Sorry I snapped quite so much. It's just a very very very common mistake so I've had to deal with it a lot. It just gets tiresome after a while. I didn't mean anything by it.

We got the Grand Ossuary plane aswell.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Look at the mask attached to the left sleeve of Sakashima the Impostor. Then look at the mask on Sakashima's Student.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane

abloobloobloo!

Otherwise known as Ulgrotha, yes ;)

We got the Hedron Fields today, which is cool, and really flavorful, but it's not alleviating my apprehensions about the fact that we haven't gotten much planar stuff from before 2005 or so. I mean... where are all the old planes?

abloobloobloo!

Funny story;

After the first planechase came out, I decided to go on a binge, look up a bunch of locations of import that weren't made into planes, and design some planes for them.

I made one for the Dead Zone. It was miserably unfun and made me want to kill myself in a ritualistic suicide.

Good times...

Edit: Can we talk about how perfect Hedron Fields of Agadeem is?
You get an eldrazi.

It is imprisoned.
Wait, the Dead Zone as in the region of Ulgrotha where everything dies because the ground sucks all the mana out of living beings? 0_o Wouldn't that just be "Destroy all creatures, everyone loses the game"?
Wait, the Dead Zone as in the region of Ulgrotha where everything dies because the ground sucks all the mana out of living beings? 0_o Wouldn't that just be "Destroy all creatures, everyone loses the game"?

I don't remember the exact card I made, but I think it was something like "every turn, Pox".

Needless to say, not fun.
Given how often comments like jace being from Ravnica come up, have you thought about getting a stickied thread for "Flavor Basics" or something of the like posted up here?
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
As worried as I am about lack of pre-mirrodin planes, I'm equally surprised at the lack of Innistrad as well.
And Muraganda.
Given how often comments like jace being from Ravnica come up, have you thought about getting a stickied thread for "Flavor Basics" or something of the like posted up here?

I have. I want to incorporate this, along with the Fanon Master List, into the Infinite Library soon.

@Thoctar:

Not fun, but flavorful. Just... also not fun.

@Barinellos:

Huh. Now that you mention it...

I did a wee bit of testing with it, because it stood out to me the most, and I decided to scrap it because the scenario arose on more than one occassion players would get trapped there and be unable to escape, because they lost all their lands to it, and couldn't re-roll the planar dice.

I had created a Guatemalan Prison format.

Incidentally, I'm thinking of starting a writing contest with the Phenomenons as the centerpieces.
As in, you name a phenomenon card and we create a story around it? I'm in
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
I'm hoping they put in an Innistrad plane. 

I'm not too familiar with the older planes, but I would like to see some of them, mainly to learn their names and read about them when I have free time.  
As in, you name a phenomenon card and we create a story around it? I'm in

As in, you choose which phenomenon you want to write about and do it.
HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY crap!
The Onnake are from Shandalar.

Shandelarrrrr.

OMG. Onakke. Deathstrike.