Converting PCs to NPC/villians

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone have any advice on converting retired PCs into NPC/recurring villians for a long term campaign?

Yes, leave that to the player to decide how that works out with your guidance based upon what has been already established.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Then, don't use PC stats for villains.  PCs are balanced very differently from the latter, and PC vs. PC encounters may not work as you intend.  Instead, rebuild the PC using monster or NPC stats Whichever is most appropriate. 

For NPCs that you never intend your PCs to fight, you could leave them as is or rebuild them using NPC or companion character stats if doing so would fit your needs better.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Does anyone have any advice on converting retired PCs into NPC/recurring villians for a long term campaign?

I've done this, used all the old character sheets for the NPCs and villains is very fun for a group that has played scores of games for a long time. The best approach is to decide simply on what level you wish them to be, what resources they should have etc and then treat them as DM characters (not PC characters) since they follow different rules, redo them as you normally would create a villain/npc using the old PC as a concept

It is a good idea to have the orriginal player's permission and input where appropriate, so there is no resentment or hard feelings, remember when an old PC becomes the villain it is possible for them to get killed, and some players don't like that.