Sun Never Rises Reward

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
My LGS has not yet received its pack of Encounters for this season.

I managed to get a copy of the adventure from another store, so we will still be playing, but I have no idea what the special reward is. Can someone fill me in on what the SNR players should get?
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

It's a Treasure Card, which gives a benefit to the PC:
Show
If I recall correctly, it negates the effect of Cloud of Darkness for that character. I do not know its limitations, and don't have it on hand right now.

Ruby Medallion of Lathander
Lvl 3 Uncommon

The gem glows with its own light, and confers the blessing of Lathander to its holder.

Neck Slot, 680 gp

Enchancement Bonus: +1 FORT, REF, WILL

Property
When the "darkfire" power is used on you, it has no effect.

Utility Power - Daily (Minor Action)
Effect: The gem emits a bright light out to a radius of 5 squares until the end of the encounter. If this light would illuminate a sqaure that is part of a zone created by "cloud of darkness," that zone ends immediately, and this power's effect ends.

58286228 wrote:
As a DM, I find it easier to just punish the players no matter what they pick, as I assume they will pick stuff that is broken. I mean, fight after fight they kill all the monsters without getting killed themselves! What sort of a game is this, anyway?

An insightful observation about the nature of 4e, and why it hasn't succeeded as well as other editions. (from the DDN General Discussions, 2014-05-07)

Rundell wrote:

Emerikol wrote:

Foxface wrote:

4e was the "modern" D&D, right?  The one that had design notes that drew from more modern games, and generally appealed to those who preferred the design priorities of modern games.  I'm only speculating, but I'd hazard a guess that those same 4e players are the ones running the wide gamut of other games at Origins.

D&D 4e players are pretty much by definition the players who didn't mind, and often embraced, D&D being "different".  That willingness to embrace the different might also mean they are less attached to 4e itself, and are willing to go elsewhere.

This is a brilliant insight.  I was thinking along those lines myself.  

There are so many tiny indie games that if you added them all together they would definitely rival Pathfinder.   If there were a dominant game for those people it would do better but there is no dominant game.  Until 4e, the indie people were ignored by the makers of D&D.

Yep. 4E was embraced by the 'system matters' crowd who love analyzing and innovating systems. That crowd had turned its back on D&D as a clunky anachronism. But with 4E, their design values were embraced and validated. 4E was D&D for system-wonks. And with support for 4E pulled, the system-wonks have moved on to other systems. The tropes and traditions of D&D never had much appeal for them anyway. Now there are other systems to learn and study. It's like boardgamegeeks - always a new system on the horizon. Why play an ancient games that's seven years old?

Of course, not all people who play and enjoy 4E fit that mould. I'm running a 4E campaign right now, and my long-time D&D players are enjoying it fine. But with the system-wonks decamping, the 4E players-base lost the wind in its sails.

Has anyone been able to get their hands on SNR? I've messaged Tulach twice for it, and still not received any reply to my inbox here on the Forums.

58286228 wrote:
As a DM, I find it easier to just punish the players no matter what they pick, as I assume they will pick stuff that is broken. I mean, fight after fight they kill all the monsters without getting killed themselves! What sort of a game is this, anyway?

An insightful observation about the nature of 4e, and why it hasn't succeeded as well as other editions. (from the DDN General Discussions, 2014-05-07)

Rundell wrote:

Emerikol wrote:

Foxface wrote:

4e was the "modern" D&D, right?  The one that had design notes that drew from more modern games, and generally appealed to those who preferred the design priorities of modern games.  I'm only speculating, but I'd hazard a guess that those same 4e players are the ones running the wide gamut of other games at Origins.

D&D 4e players are pretty much by definition the players who didn't mind, and often embraced, D&D being "different".  That willingness to embrace the different might also mean they are less attached to 4e itself, and are willing to go elsewhere.

This is a brilliant insight.  I was thinking along those lines myself.  

There are so many tiny indie games that if you added them all together they would definitely rival Pathfinder.   If there were a dominant game for those people it would do better but there is no dominant game.  Until 4e, the indie people were ignored by the makers of D&D.

Yep. 4E was embraced by the 'system matters' crowd who love analyzing and innovating systems. That crowd had turned its back on D&D as a clunky anachronism. But with 4E, their design values were embraced and validated. 4E was D&D for system-wonks. And with support for 4E pulled, the system-wonks have moved on to other systems. The tropes and traditions of D&D never had much appeal for them anyway. Now there are other systems to learn and study. It's like boardgamegeeks - always a new system on the horizon. Why play an ancient games that's seven years old?

Of course, not all people who play and enjoy 4E fit that mould. I'm running a 4E campaign right now, and my long-time D&D players are enjoying it fine. But with the system-wonks decamping, the 4E players-base lost the wind in its sails.

Thanks, rood.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

In the D&D Encounters: Web of the Spider Queen – Preview at Dungeon's Master.com we talk about the special rewards including the three new Fortune Cards and the Treasure Card.

Here's a direct link to a scan of the Ruby Medallion of Lathander card.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

At the location where I DM, we did not have any players who played the intro adventure to gain the item. So I awarded it to any player who brought a PC that was one of the new races, used one of the Underdark themes and backgrounds. Which was only one of the attendees. Now, I and my fellow DMs, will hand out the treasure card to the players who earn a "moment of greatness" during that session. That way the item will slowly leak out over the course of the season instead of swamping the tables and making the drow innate powers somewhat useless.
That way the item will slowly leak out over the course of the season instead of swamping the tables and making the drow innate powers somewhat useless.

Yea, I'm really regretting handing it out to all of my regulars the first session...

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Some of my players were lucky enough to play SNR at the UK Drowathon event so half the players in our late session had the reward.

None of the early session players took part but in the session 0 encounter that we ran I placed one as a treasure item (when the late session played the same encounter I planned if it was a player that hadnt already received one they would find it, otherwise a normal roll on the treasure table - which resulted in a pair of healing potions, very useful as that group had no healers).

I plan on giving more out as special rewards to players that have yet to receive them throughout the season for moments of greatness and excellent RPing in the sessions.

"Well that encounter was easy....er, guys, why is the DM grinning?" (party members last words)

It's not a party till the screaming starts!

Follow me on Twitter @Vobeskhan or check out my blog http://vobeskhan.wordpress.com/