R/G Werewolf/wolf deck - Need advice!

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
I didn't get much advice in the casual decks forum and this is standard deck anyway so I'm going to post this one here in hope of some help.

I want to create a deck that focuses on werewolves and wolves supported with +counters and trample buffs. I really don't care if my deck isn't the best of the best, I only care that I can play decent deck that I like. I'm only planning to go FNM nothing higher than that really.

So my plan is to go for something like this:

Lands: 23

Creatures:18

Instants: 13

Enchantments: 4

Sorcery: 2

That's what I've planned so far.. The reason why I stuck revenge of the hunted in is because I really like the massive buff on it and the miracle. Also it may be great way to turn the tide of the game. Also triumph of ferocity for extra cards. I hate games when I just can't get enough card draws. 2x mayor of avabrucks because I can't get anymore of them at this time. This includes almost every one of my favourite cards but still I had to take out a lot of them just to keep in the consistency.. What do you think? 

the deck seems slow.  you have too many creatures who cost too much and not enough cheap dudes (aka 1cmc).  where are you duals?  play all 8, no reason not to.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Prehaps a play set of Scorned Villager to have a creature to add mana to your pool for your high cost creatures
the deck seems slow.  you have too many creatures who cost too much and not enough cheap dudes (aka 1cmc).  where are you duals?  play all 8, no reason not to.

Is 4 mana cost really that high? O_o What do you mean by "(aka 1cmc).  where are you duals?  play all 8, no reason not to." I'm sorry but I don't understand your terms.

Prehaps a play set of Scorned Villager to have a creature to add mana to your pool for your high cost creatures

I didn't know that 4 mana creatures are really that high cost .__. Scorned Villager sounds a nice choice to keep up mana going. Which should I replace then? I guess Briarpack Alpha would be the one to go I guess... I really like that one though since it's flash and gives +2/+2.
Any ideas?

CMC just stands for converted mana cost. Take Immerwolf for example its total cost is 3 so in term 3cmc. Also, duals are just dual lands such as Copperline Gorge and Rootbound Crag

Personally i like Wolfbitten captive over the waif because even in human form you can pump him to a 3/3.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
CMC just stands for converted mana cost. Take Immerwolf for example its total cost is 3 so in term 3cmc. Also, duals are just dual lands such as Copperline Gorge and Rootbound Crag

Personally i like Wolfbitten captive over the waif because even in human form you can pump him to a 3/3.

Thanks for the clarification!

I see your point on Waif. Wolfbitten captive actually looks better than waif also!

The reason I'm not going with duals is that they cost a fortune and I just simply can't affrod to buy them Maybe I'll find someone to trade with perhaps.

So.. should I add more cheap dudes or just replace Waifs? And what about scorned villager? Should I add some of them too?
Replace the waifs and i would definitly go up to 4 mayors. having him flipped with an immerwolf on the field is brutal because he wont flip back and you will get a token at each of your end steps and each wolf gets a bonus from Howlpack Alpha and immerwolf.

Im a little hesitant on the villager. If you find games where tyou just need extra mana then you can include it. When it flips the vigilance isnt bad especially if it is getting boosted, so thats something to consider. 
I'm really overwhelmed by the choices I want :s 
Should I replace briarpack alpha and take wolfbitten captive instead? Or should I replace something else and take in scorned villager too? Everything seem to work so well with each other, I can't decide :D
I'm really overwhelmed by the choices I want :s 
Should I replace briarpack alpha and take wolfbitten captive instead? Or should I replace something else and take in scorned villager too? Everything seem to work so well with each other, I can't decide :D

I feel that Briarpack Alpha is just mediocre so you could replace it with Kruin Outlaw which is a solid card to play on turn 3. Put the captives in over the waifs and seeing as slots are filling up im not sure scorned villager should be added, and im not sure its nesessary.
I see.. I thought scorned villager would be a tad bit useless here (not entirely though) since my highest creature cost is only 4. I didn't think that's too high to put in mana boosters.

I think I can get another 2x mayor of avabruck there so should I remove increasing savagery since additional mayors do the power boost? Or do you have other ideas?

I just won a FNM with this "fun" werewolf deck, and finished 2nd two weeks in a row with a similar build:

Part of the fun of playing with werewolves is that there are so many to choose from, and each seems to play well against different types of decks.  I won two different games by bonding a Wolfir Silverheart with an Immerwolf an intimidating, won a few games with burn damage, trampled for lots of damage, and never had a land draw that didn't work out.  I have experimented with several builds of this, but this one was by far the most fun to play mainly because of the diversity of creatures that still maintain synergy.

Wolfir Avenger is much better than Briarpack Alpha.  The burn tends to be more useful than individual pump in most cases.  Llanowere Riding Hood is deceptively powerful with this deck, especially with her ability to cast a moonmist singlehandedly, or to attack and pump the Wolf Run on the same turn.  At worst, she helps this deck to do the one thing it does poorly without her...which is ramp. 

Your deck looks awesome! I would also go with Huntmaster and Silverheart but they are too big for my budget I'm afraid.. Have you had any problems with card draws? Can you tell if triumph of ferocity is useful or not? I'm not sure about that. And according to you, scorned villager is "must" for werewolf deck right? :D 

Could you give more tips if you can? I wouldn't want to copy your deck identically.. I want to create my own kind of deck which includes revenge of the hunted :D

I just won a FNM with this "fun" werewolf deck, and finished 2nd two weeks in a row with a similar build:

Part of the fun of playing with werewolves is that there are so many to choose from, and each seems to play well against different types of decks.  I won two different games by bonding a Wolfir Silverheart with an Immerwolf an intimidating, won a few games with burn damage, trampled for lots of damage, and never had a land draw that didn't work out.  I have experimented with several builds of this, but this one was by far the most fun to play mainly because of the diversity of creatures that still maintain synergy.

Wolfir Avenger is much better than Briarpack Alpha.  The burn tends to be more useful than individual pump in most cases.  Llanowere Riding Hood is deceptively powerful with this deck, especially with her ability to cast a moonmist singlehandedly, or to attack and pump the Wolf Run on the same turn.  At worst, she helps this deck to do the one thing it does poorly without her...which is ramp. 

Out of plain curiosity what did you go up against at  your FNM?
I admit I live in a smaller town, so my local scene doesn't have any of the cookie cutter copycat decks like "Delver version 142.0" or "$Titan wolf run to the ATM", but I have beaten a full array of UW Tokens, Green stompy, GW Humans, and RW Hellrider burn.  My loss in the final 2 weeks ago was to a Mono Black Control that I still almost beat with burn.  I feel very bad for everyone who has to play in a scene that has even a single player who plays decks that they play just so they can win.  Each deck took a different strategy to beat, and I am honestly surprised at how resilient this werewolf deck is.  I would never take this to a PTQ, but for a consistently strong showing at a FNM, it's a lot of fun to play.

The Silverheart and HMotF are great cards, but are easily replaced with other strong werewolves like Ulvenwald Mystics.  I even board them out in favor of the faster wolves when I play against fast decks or decks that use a lot of removal, as my opponent tends to hold on to their removal for too long waiting for my big monsters to appear.  Scorned Villager is not a "must" card, but it has a lot of synergy and is a solid 2 drop in a deck that lacks them (no other werewolf besides the mayor is very effective for 2).  Ultimately, I think the key to a good wolf deck is to know when to play moonmist

As for cards like triumph of ferocity and wild defiance I feel they are better in a less rounded build.  I devote a lot of space to burn to take away opponents options, and I like the option of subbing in more to provide a secondary victory option.  Card draw can be a problem, but wolves tend to have enough staying power (along with not playing cards so I can flip them), so I never play out too quickly.  If you used revenge of the hunted or increasing savagery in place of burn or a couple of the 4 drop wolves it would definitely not hurt too much.

Before I go on I just have to thank you all. You guys have been great help! :D

Okay, just to keep this a little bit more clear I'm gonna update my deck for now. Bear in mind that this is still not final and changes will happen

Here we go:

Creatures:18

Instants: 12

Enchantments: 2

Sorcery: 2

So what I'm missing is 3 more cards.. I'm hovering between adding 3 more instants or 3 more creatures. More removal or more passive buffs like blessings of nature and hunger of the howlpack? Perhaps more 1cmc creatures? I could also prepare a sideboard for faster games with low cost spells. 
What do you think guys? 

here's what I'd do homie;
+1 Mayor
+1 Captive
+1 Immerwolf
(there's your three slots)

-2 Wild Hunger
-3 Daybreak Ranger

+1 Increasing Savagery
+1 Instigator Gang
+1 Scorned Villager
+2 Full Moon's Rise

I feel making those changes would make it more consistent of a beat down type build it feels like it wants to be. I like Daybreak Ranger but I think it should be a sideboard card along with two more Arc Trails and two more Pillar of flames.
here's what I'd do homie;
+1 Mayor
+1 Captive
+1 Immerwolf
(there's your three slots)

-2 Wild Hunger
-3 Daybreak Ranger

+1 Increasing Savagery
+1 Instigator Gang
+1 Scorned Villager
+2 Full Moon's Rise

I feel making those changes would make it more consistent of a beat down type build it feels like it wants to be. I like Daybreak Ranger but I think it should be a sideboard card along with two more Arc Trails and two more Pillar of flames.

Thanks for your idea. I'll consider your changes and think a little bit

I, on the other hand, think that I want Daybreak ranger there just because it's super amazing dealing with any creature (especially flying ones) when transformed and buffed by Immerwolf and Mayor of Avabruck. Even if it's alone on the battlefield it's still 4 damage to any creature with only one mountain. That's what I think though. I'd rather keep him.  Wild Hunger could be the one to go away to get some more cards.. I still put it in sideboard.

Let's give this a one more try. I think this could be my final deck. I like it

Creatures: 21

Instants: 10

Enchantments: 3

Sorcery: 3

This would be the kind of deck I like: It has awesome spells and creatures, everything I like!

I think daybreak ranger is a good pick if you plan on using increasing savagery or hunger of the howlpack.  Essentially it turns into your best blocker, as it can take on one creature and then kill another, or moonmist and kill another creature, it has good utility with a counter-based pump strategy. 

I would fill 2 slots with wolfir avenger and add another immerwolf, but young wolf is also a very useful card that doesn't lose value in the late game in this deck (you only have three 1-drops).
I tried wild hunger before but it doesn't serve much use because Kessig wolf run and full moons rise are much better at providing trample and are permanents.  Those two slots would probably be better served by more burn (especially pillar of flame), or permanent removal like naturalize, ancient grudge, or ratchet bomb.

Good luck, this is really a fun deck to play...and every game I hear someone say "moonmist is a broken card", I can't help but smile.
I think daybreak ranger is a good pick if you plan on using increasing savagery or hunger of the howlpack.  Essentially it turns into your best blocker, as it can take on one creature and then kill another, or moonmist and kill another creature, it has good utility with a counter-based pump strategy. 

I would fill 2 slots with wolfir avenger and add another immerwolf, but young wolf is also a very useful card that doesn't lose value in the late game in this deck (you only have three 1-drops).
I tried wild hunger before but it doesn't serve much use because Kessig wolf run and full moons rise are much better at providing trample and are permanents.  Those two slots would probably be better served by more burn (especially pillar of flame), or permanent removal like naturalize, ancient grudge, or ratchet bomb.

Good luck, this is really a fun deck to play...and every game I hear someone say "moonmist is a broken card", I can't help but smile.

Thanks pal! I already have 4 Immerwolves :D I'll put more cheap dudes and removal in the sideboard. I'll see if my opponents don't have that much stuff that need to be removed and then I'll adjust in the next game.. Hoping it's not too late then :D

you play in FNM last night? if so, how'd you do?
you play in FNM last night? if so, how'd you do?

I haven't tried it out yet. I haven't got the cards either :D I will try it in FNM as soon as I can but it'll take few weeks since I'm very busy with school atm. If you're interested I'll definitely post results here after I try it out
FYI,  I decided not to play my werewolf deck this week (went with what turned out to be a bad G/W humans deck), and was left shaking my head as the top two finishers at my FNM were both werewolf decks.  The winner played lots of burn (and Birds of Paradise instead of scorned villagers), the loser played lots of pump (trying a wild defiance route).  The final was pretty hilarious, with moonmists going off all over the place.
I have a similar deck that is w/g/r "humans" mostly wear wolfs but I run 4 mayors and either way I win either side he is on cavern and green sun help I run a 1 of Angel of Glory's Rise it is fun If the game runs long to tuck under a fiend hunter.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I ran into too many Ratchet Bombs to keep trying with my werewolf deck, at least for now. Looking for other things to play.
Sign In to post comments