Life's Dawn: a KROND THE DAWN-CLAD deck

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Life's Dawn
- A KROND THE DAWN-CLAD DECK -

Commander
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=131264&d=1337322590

Strategy
Enchant/equip Krond to grant him trample/protection from creatures and lifelink (in order to draw cards with Keen Sense and Well of Lost Dreams).
Attack. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

1 x Krond the Dawn-Clad

1 x Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 x Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1 x Eternal Witness
1 x Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 x Baneslayer Angel
1 x Glory
1 x Exalted Angel
1 x Pentarch Paladin
1 x Adarkar Valkyrie
1 x Deathless Angel
1 x Sun Titan
1 x Sunblast Angel
1 x Novablast Wurm
1 x Battlegrace Angel

1 x Entreat the Angels

1 x Rancor
1 x Armadillo Cloak
1 x Bear Umbra
1 x Flickering Ward
1 x Eldrazi Conscription
1 x Keen Sense
1 x Daybreak Coronet
1 x Spirit Loop
1 x Unquestioned Authority
1 x Spirit Mantle
1 x Snake Umbra

1 x Behemoth Sledge
1 x Lightning Greaves
1 x Loxodon Warhammer
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Sword of Fire and Ice
1 x Whispersilk Cloak

1 x Beast Within

1 x Wrath of God
1 x Catastrophe

1 x Congregation at Dawn
1 x Enlightened Tutor
1 x Idyllic Tutor
1 x Steelshaper's Gift
1 x Sterling Grove
1 x Three Dreams

1 x Privileged Position

1 x True Conviction

1 x Greater Good
1 x Harmonize
1 x Mind's Eye
1 x Scroll Rack
1 x Sensei's Divining Top
1 x Well of Lost Dreams

1 x Tormod's Crypt

1 x Regrowth
1 x Defy Death

1 x Coalition Relic
1 x Selesnya Signet
1 x Gilded Lotus
1 x Darksteel Ingot
1 x Pristine Talisman

1 x Cultivate
1 x Explosive Vegetation
1 x Mirari's Wake
1 x Mana Reflection

1 x Vivid Grove
1 x Tranquil Thicket
9 x Forest
1 x Wooded Bastion
1 x Selesnya Sanctuary
1 x Graypelt Refuge
1 x Arctic Flats
1 x Razorverge Thicket
1 x Stirring Wildwood
Plains
1 x Mistveil Plains
1 x Kjeldoran Outpost
1 x Secluded Steppe
1 x Vivid Meadow
1 x Thawing Glaciers
1 x Kor Haven
1 x Command Tower
1 x Evolving Wilds
1 x Krosan Verge
1 x Terramorphic Expanse
1 x Strip Mine

Gisela WORLDFIREGisela W/r HUMANS
Tariel (Innistrad VAMPIRES)
Krond the Dawn-Clad
"There is neither Jew nor Greek,
there is neither bond nor free,
there is neither male nor female:
for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." -Galatians 3:28
Just a suggestion, but I think you should edit your post to remind people what Krond does.  Not everyone pays attention to spoilers or has committed this newly revealed legend to memory quite yet.  I know I don't remember exactly.  Something with auras, I think.  And it flies.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Just a suggestion, but I think you should edit your post to remind people what Krond does.  Not everyone pays attention to spoilers or has committed this newly revealed legend to memory quite yet.  I know I don't remember exactly.  Something with auras, I think.  And it flies.

Excellent suggestion!

Oh, and your sig rules. I mean, RULES! Cool
Krond the Dawn-Clad
Felidar Umbra (part of Krond's deck) and the other Umbras seem like good choices.  In particular, Snake Umbra gives the ophidian ability just like Keen Sense, and Bear Umbra untaps all your lands.

Umbra Mystic seems good in any aura-based deck.

Since you have green and white and plenty of basics, I don't think you can go wrong with Krosan Verge.  Ramp in land form.

Excellent suggestion!

Oh, and your sig rules. I mean, RULES! Cool

Oh, thank you!  I just don't think a little forward thinking is too much to ask of WotC.  I think it would be fair for the creatures and characters to somewhat reflect the diversity of the game's player base.  Anyway, on to the deck!

The first think I'm noticing is a distinct lack of auras.  Your commander craves them, and you should supply him.  Empyrial Armor, Bear Umbra, Ward of Lights, Celestial Mantle, Hero's Resolve, Favorable Destiny, Aspect of Wolf and Blanchwood Armor are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.  I'd recommend chucking some equipment in favor of more auras.

I also noticed you're running very little ramp.  One or two more pieces would probably be good.  I also like Argivian Find to get your auras back.  Green also has a multitude of recursion with stuff like Reclaim, Elven Cache and Make a Wish.  On a semi-unrelated note, your colors also give you access to one of the best pieces of creature recursion in the game: Hymn of Rebirth.  Crown of the Ages could be useful, too.

I hope this helped!

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I know I know I might be suggesting heresy however if your decks main idea is casting your general, then you might want to take out mana vault or sol ring and relace them with signets, or someother form of colored mana ramp.
Also everflowing chalice is not a good choice for most decks.
Since you have green and white and plenty of basics, I don't think you can go wrong with Krosan Verge.  Ramp in land form.

I also noticed you're running very little ramp.  One or two more pieces would probably be good.

I know I know I might be suggesting heresy however if your decks main idea is casting your general, then you might want to take out mana vault or sol ring and relace them with signets, or someother form of colored mana ramp.
Also everflowing chalice is not a good choice for most decks.

I like heresy (especially when it's logical)! Thank you for the reminder of how important colored mana is to casting Krond consistently. I've added Verge, Mirari's Wake, and Mana Reflection, and replaced Mana Vault and Sol Ring with a Signet and Darksteel Ingot.

Felidar Umbra (part of Krond's deck) and the other Umbras seem like good choices.  In particular, Snake Umbra gives the ophidian ability just like Keen Sense, and Bear Umbra untaps all your lands.

The first think I'm noticing is a distinct lack of auras.  Your commander craves them, and you should supply him.  Empyrial Armor, Bear Umbra, Ward of Lights, Celestial Mantle, Hero's Resolve, Favorable Destiny, Aspect of Wolf and Blanchwood Armor are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.  I'd recommend chucking some equipment in favor of more auras.

I like Snake Umbra, especially since it's recursible with Sun Titan, and Bear Umbra is a great synergistic alternative to Sword of Feast and Famine. I've included both of the suggested Umbras in the deck.

Umbra Mystic seems good in any aura-based deck.

I chose to go with Privileged Position. What do you think?

I also like Argivian Find to get your auras back.  Green also has a multitude of recursion with stuff like Reclaim, Elven Cache and Make a Wish.  On a semi-unrelated note, your colors also give you access to one of the best pieces of creature recursion in the game: Hymn of Rebirth.  Crown of the Ages could be useful, too.

I prefer the versatility of Regrowth and the synergy of Defy Death, given the deck's substantial number of angels. Speaking of angels, I swapped out Stonehewer Giant and Akroma, Angel of Wrath for Exalted Angel and Battlegrace Angel. The latter two both provide opportunities for life gain, something the Well of Lost Dreams needs to work efficiently. I also added in Pristine Talisman to balance the fact that I dropped three pieces of equipment that had been providing life gain, along with Beacon of Immortality.

I hope this helped!

Y'all have been tremendously helpful. THANK YOU! Smile

Based on everyone's advice so far, I've made the following changes:

Added
Exalted Angel
Battlegrace Angel
Bear Umbra
Snake Umbra
Selesnya Signet
Darksteel Ingot
Pristine Talisman
Mirari's Wake
Mana Reflection
Privileged Position
Sterling Grove
Three Dreams
Regrowth
Defy Death
Arctic Flats
Razorverge Thicket
Krosan Verge

Removed
Stonehewer Giant
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Basilisk Collar
Sword of War and Peace
Umezawa's Jitte
Darksteel Plate
Everflowing Chalice
Mana Vault
Sol Ring
Beacon of Immortality
Banishing Stroke
Return to Dust
Swords to Plowshares
Condemn
Forest
Shimmering Grotto
Saltcrusted Steppe
Krond the Dawn-Clad
Another thought, while a bit of a cheap move might be Shield of the Oversoul it kinda fits all the stuff you'd want, and means your commander is tricker to deal with. Oversoul of Dusk might be a thought to add to your creature base as well.
My EDH deck: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26329625/Another_Ur-Dragon_deck&sort_order=ASC
Another thought, while a bit of a cheap move might be Shield of the Oversoul it kinda fits all the stuff you'd want, and means your commander is tricker to deal with. Oversoul of Dusk might be a thought to add to your creature base as well.

Shield of the Oversoul doesn't do much for my mostly white flying creature base and Oversoul of Dusk seems a little underwhelming.
Krond the Dawn-Clad

Shield of the Oversoul doesn't do much for my mostly white flying creature base and Oversoul of Dusk seems a little underwhelming.

I'll just chip in here and say Shield of the Oversoul is often a win-con in several casual decks I run (Charging Troll or Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers for preference) - it's fairly easy to underestimate, but bearing in mind you're running G/W auras and your commander wants to attack each turn (and survive, I guess?) it's worth at least giving it a try.

Out of interest, can I ask why the Exalted Angel? It seems inferior to quite a few other creatures in the deck.  Also, Behemoth Sledge? It's not an enchantment, but it hangs around gaining you life until you play your general.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's because the angel stacks with lifelink. My bad. 
Also, Behemoth Sledge? It's not an enchantment, but it hangs around gaining you life until you play your general.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I've dropped a Forest to make room.

I'll just chip in here and say Shield of the Oversoul is often a win-con in several casual decks I run (Charging Troll or Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers for preference) - it's fairly easy to underestimate, but bearing in mind you're running G/W auras and your commander wants to attack each turn (and survive, I guess?) it's worth at least giving it a try.

As a general rule (get it?), I try to maximize my deck's resiliency should my commander be tucked, stolen, or destroyed. As such, including a card like Shield that only grants indestructibility to four of my creatures—one of which is Eternal Witness, a card I want destroyed so I can recur it—doesn't seem efficient. I have several other cards in the deck, with more universal applications, that come close to the Shield's abilities, such as:

Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Deathless Angel
Bear Umbra
Snake Umbra.

This is in addition to the cards that provide my creatures with protection or hexproof/shroud, or recur them:

Glory
Adarkar Valkyrie
Flickering Ward
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Whispersilk Cloak
Privileged Position.
Krond the Dawn-Clad
what about [C]Mark of Sakiko[/C], or [C]Sakiko, Mother of Summer[/C]?  It's a bit of mana ramp that goes well with [C]well of lost dreams[/C] and lifelinkers.
what about [C]Mark of Sakiko[/C], or [C]Sakiko, Mother of Summer[/C]?  It's a bit of mana ramp that goes well with [C]well of lost dreams[/C] and lifelinkers.

The deck's existing mana ramp has been sufficient in playtesting so far. Also, once the deck gets a single creature out, there's not much use for extra mana. While the Sakiko cards have nice synergy with the Well, they're too dependent on other cards to maximize their value.
Krond the Dawn-Clad
Added
Greater Good

Removed
Forest
Krond the Dawn-Clad
Does this deck gain anything from M13?
Krond the Dawn-Clad

Does this deck gain anything from M13?

Looking at the complete reveal list vs your build I don't think so.