Spymaster Epic Destiny help

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So a friend and I have been trying to work on an epic destiny for a campaign we're running. We're both new at homebrewing things like this. The tentative name is Spymaster. The theory being that the character has risen to the level of being connected everywhere in the world, and can gain knowledge and use it against people. Fictional inspirations might be Varys from A Song of Ice and Fire or the Shadow Broker from the Mass Effect games.

Our goals are that the character:
-Have a vast network of spies, assassins, and informers on which to draw. This would be a feature similar to the Legendary Sovereign ED having lands and retainers, etc.
-Not necessarily know everything, but be able to find out nearly anything.
-Be able to use this knowledge against enemies, which could mean anything from a simple intimidation bonus to the ability to send assassins after someone, or both I suppose.

Obviously the power balance of this is one possible issue, the other is that most EDs have some sort of death reversing feature, and I cannot for the life of me think of a way to work such a feature into this.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions they would be greatly appreciated?
Obviously the power balance of this is one possible issue, the other is that most EDs have some sort of death reversing feature, and I cannot for the life of me think of a way to work such a feature into this.

Perhaps something about employing body doubles that travel around with you, and tricking your enemies into thinking they're you?

What do you think?

The Connected
"Knowledge is power, my friend.  Tell me what you want to know, and I'll get back to you on it immediately."

Prerequisites: Level 21, Charisma 21, trained in Streetwise

You are one of The Connected, a supposedly-mythical spy network that specializes in the acquisition and trading of information.  Be it for ideals, politics or fate, The Connected always seem to know what needs to be known, making them the most sought-after and feared organization.  Becoming one of The Connected is a strange ordeal, as only those of The Connected know how to enter the organization.  Nobody has been known to have left the organization or tell more than what The Connected have allowed them to divulge... nobody alive, that is.

Immortality
Your immortality as one of The Connected would involve the acquisition of information so precious and hard to find that even The Connected have trouble acquiring it.  Once your quest has been completed, The Connected will keep your name, your legacy and your secrets within its archives for future members to learn from and carry on.

The Connected Features
Legendary Spymaster (21st level):  Your Charisma increases by 2, and you gain a +2 bonus to Charisma-based skills.
Spymaster Network (21st level):  With the DM's approval, choose a region that you establish as your spy network.  You gain a +4 bonus to Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks made within your spy network.  While within that region, you have access to safehouses, contacts and even the most well-hidden information exclusive to that region automatically.
Body Double (24th level):  Once a day, when you die, another creature who has the exact same stats, memories and equipment takes your place.  In fact, the creature that died was actually your body double, while you were actually at a safe location, feeding your body double all the information he needed at the time and vice versa.
All Within My Grasp (26th level):  As a standard action once a day, you can call on the resources of The Connected to find out all the information about a particular subject.  If the information can be acquired within the same plane you are currently in, you will receive a tome or set of tomes with all the information needed after 24 hours.  If the information can be acquired on any other plane, you will receive a tome or set of tomes with all the information needed after a week.  The details pertaining to the subject will depend on how precise or how encompassing the subject is, and gleaming the information found within may take a significant amount of time.  Also note that because this is a rushed acquisition of information, there may not have been enough time to filter out what is true and what is just hearsay.  Finally, some information -- especially that which requires magical rituals to acquire -- may require the expenditure of gold, or acquisition of a magical item (upon DM discretion) to acquire.
Knowledge is Power (30th level): Once per encounter, you can spend a minor action to make a Streetwise check against a single creature's Bluff check [pitting your knowledge of the creature against his ability to "fake" his identity].  If you succeed, you have combat advantage against the target and a bonus to damage rolls against the target equal to 5 + your Charisma modifier until the end of the encounter.

Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
That's really very good. I especially appreciate the level 30 feature because it gives a practical edge to what is inevitably a fluff-heavy epic destiny. The level 24 death-reversal is very like something I had imagined for it. My own take on it was simply "Decoy: Once per day when an attack would reduce you to 0 or fewer hit points, the attack instead strikes an illusory decoy in your square, you then teleport up to your speed to the square you actually occupied all along." More of a Loki from the Avengers movie take than Nick Fury. However I like yours because it would allow for a player who didn't want to use magic to still take advantage of it. (Those players are probably not common but I have a couple in my group.) Anyway thank you very much for sharing this. I will be stealing it and showing to my co-DM to see what he thinks.