05/23/2012 BoaB: "A New Pod"

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
nothing in the deck besides Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, and Birthing Pod should be difficult to acquire

Really, what about the 3x Cavern of Souls at $30 a piece?!?!?!
nothing in the deck besides Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messenger, and Birthing Pod should be difficult to acquire

Really, what about the 3x Cavern of Souls at $30 a piece?!?!?!

I'm sure he was talking about his revamped budget version of the deck, which only uses 24 swamps for land.
"Entomber Exarch can be searched up the turn before our ramp opponent has access to six mana, hopefully plucking the only Primeval Titan out of his or her hand."

Entomber Exarch specifically says "noncreature card"

P.S. @AngelDeath82, he made the deck mono black so there's no rare lands.
Fair enough, however, he put that line 2 paragraphs below the original list, well before he made the mono-black list without the Caverns...
Fair enough, however, he put that line 2 paragraphs below the original list, well before he made the mono-black list without the Caverns...

So it's his fault you didn't read the article before jumping all over the guy?
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.
I would say Gloom Surgeon would also get in against Wurmcoil Engines. After all, a single Surgeon deals very efficiently with a single Engine, forcing the opponent to overextend and letting Sever the Bloodline have value.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

To be fair, Van Lunen didn't read the Entomber Exarch before putting it in his deck.

To be fair, Van Lunen didn't read the Entomber Exarch before putting it in his deck.

Oh, it's not like I'm accusing JvL of being a terribly good builder. I'm just saying tht people should read the articles before they go about being all shouty and mad.
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.
Not an phyrexian obliterator in sight? Im dissapointed..

And for god sake read the cards. Everyone makes mistakes but dont you guys kinda get paid to write stuff like this? Shouldnt you TEST stuff like this?
still trying to understand gloom surgeons role here... is it just because of the strangleroot geists that he's in there?

cemetary reaper's would have been better to up your zombie's and to create more chump blockers...
"Entomber Exarch can be searched up the turn before our ramp opponent has access to six mana, hopefully plucking the only Primeval Titan out of his or her hand."

Entomber Exarch specifically says "noncreature card"

The article reads GSZenith by my eyes.

Not an phyrexian obliterator in sight? Im dissapointed..

Check the price sometime :P.

still trying to understand gloom surgeons role here....

I would say Gloom Surgeon would also get in against Wurmcoil Engines. After all, a single Surgeon deals very efficiently with a single Engine, forcing the opponent to overextend and letting Sever the Bloodline have value.

Quite sick, sir, quite sick. It's true any pure aggro deck needs a way to deal with WEngine. But besides that, such a solid aggro card.

I've loved BArtist since it came out, and have already been using it to success, so it excites me to see somebody else catching on that it's constructed playable. Right now it's only recognized in draft, probably just because players have had plenty of time to realize how awesome FNoble and RThrower are.

But anyway, the verdict. I like it, but I personally don't want to see it expanded. I hate phyrexian mana, and refuse to use it outside of a deck that isn't that card's color. I similarly hate decks that splash Blue to run MHaunt. I hate when color doesn't matter in MtG. But my bias aside, I don't even think the deck needs much expansion... it seems straightforward in what it does, no suggestions.
still trying to understand gloom surgeons role here....

Quite sick, sir, quite sick. It's true any pure aggro deck needs a way to deal with WEngine. But besides that, such a solid aggro card.

How does the gloom surgeon deal with the Wurmcoil Engine. From what I see outside of being able to block it (which would make you exile 6 cards from your deck each turn it attacks. After a turn or two I would see it as a deficit more than a benefit. Since it has no way of actually taking the wurmcoil engine out of play and is not themed with the deck very well I'd still say another creature, even Onyx Mage or the humble Typhoid Rats
Yes, but mostly it is solid. It is a 2/1 that can't be traded with. Period. And yes, 8 turns against WEngine is more than enough time to win the game. And if you have multiple you have the leniency to go on the assault. Definitely better than the sideboard CCreepers
Using the prices at bidwicket.com, assuming $5 shipping and free basic lands:

Estimated total cost: 72.55
2 Bloodline Keeper: 2 @ 2.75; total 5.5
4 Diregraf Ghoul: 4 @ 0.25; total 1.0
4 Sever the Bloodline: 4 @ 0.25; total 1.0
3 Black Cat: 3 @ 0.02; total 0.06
4 Geralf's Messenger: 4 @ 4.99; total 19.96
3 Tragic Slip: 3 @ 0.1; total 0.3
4 Gravecrawler: 4 @ 4.99; total 19.96
4 Blood Artist: 4 @ 0.06; total 0.24
4 Gloom Surgeon: 4 @ 0.15; total 0.6
2 Entomber Exarch: 2 @ 0.03; total 0.06
4 Birthing Pod: 4 @ 2.65; total 10.6
1 Fume Spitter: 1 @ 0.02; total 0.02
1 Perilous Myr: 1 @ 0.04; total 0.04
1 Precursor Golem: 1 @ 0.44; total 0.44
1 Skinrender: 1 @ 0.08; total 0.08
2 Nihil Spellbomb: 2 @ 0.08; total 0.16
1 Pierce Strider: 1 @ 0.03; total 0.03
2 Go for the Throat: 2 @ 1.19; total 2.38
4 Distress: 4 @ 0.03; total 0.12

I'm still trying to get the particulars to mesh right, but I am working on an Infinite Reflection deck using mana dorks to accelerate out the enchantment and some BArtist as the creature to copy for an instant kill. Of course Reflection is good to put on their titans too.

The deck is looking like it will be GU right now and run counters to stop sweep effects from clearing away the mana dorks.

Just a thought
The fact that it doesn't trade is kinda the point. This deck wants to trade creatures so that with gravecrawler and blood artist out you'll eventually see a creature advantage all while whittling their life away and getting larger yourself.

With wurmcoil engine if it plays competely(The engine and the two subcreatures) you'll still have a 3 life advantage with 1 blood artist in play(+9 opponents life with lifelink, -6 opponents life due to blood artist, and +6 life to yourself). Creature advantage should be offset due to gravecrawler. 

On the otherhand for 2 turns with the gloom surgeon your exiling 12 cards from your library.  With so many 1 ofs in this deck it'd be mighty risky. lets look at it this way with you drawing first:
t3 pod
t4 podded a creature
t5 podded a creature
t6 This turn they hardcast an engine so you pod a surgeon
t7 Attack with engine

At this point you're down to 43 cards with the ability to lose 8 more each turn from your library(6 from surgeon, draw 1, pod another). That's a little more than 5 turns there. And while yes you should have an answer to that creature. There's no gaurantee that the answer won't be exiled.

Now if you pod for say an Onyx Mage, it can almost gaurantee the creature's death and the subsequent creatures it creates (not blocking with mage at first). Btw any removal done to onyx mage can also be done to surgeon.
We of course can't ignore pulling the red card: it practically has protection from: Whipflare, Slagstorm, GBlast, ITitan, BVolley, and blocks Hellrider.
still trying to understand gloom surgeons role here... is it just because of the strangleroot geists that he's in there?

How does the gloom surgeon deal with the Wurmcoil Engine. From what I see outside of being able to block it (which would make you exile 6 cards from your deck each turn it attacks. After a turn or two I would see it as a deficit more than a benefit.

Yes, but mostly it is solid. It is a 2/1 that can't be traded with. Period. And yes, 8 turns against WEngine is more than enough time to win the game.

Gloom Surgeon's strength against Wurmcoil Engine is the line "if combat damage would be dealt... prevent that damage...". This allows you to race the wurmcoils since as no damage was dealt, the opponent didn't gain any life. As the deck is essentially an aggro-combo deck, the Surgeon gives you a little extra wiggle room to not auto-lose when they play the wurm. Your deck can get ahead on life through it's aggressive start and when the wurm comes down finish with the combo win. Since you don't have to attack to win you don't care if a wurm stays back and defends and if it attacks you trade cards on the top of your deck for the extra turns to finish them off.

It is true that the longer you rely on the Surgeon to keep you in the game, the more likely it is you'll deck yourself but the aim here is not to be blocking for too long. 6 cards a turn probably translates to another 5 or 6 turns. You should be able to win from there.

Against aggro the fact that Gloom Surgeon can't be removed through combat makes him a very good road block against 3+ toughness dorks and lets you play the war of attrition vs. strangleroot geists and other 2-toughness guys as well. Then, as with the Wurmcoil engine scenario above, you can race the aggro deck, once again trading cards of the top for extra turns to combo out

Finally, Gloom Surgeon is still a 2-power attacker for 2 mana making him efficient enough against Control decks.

Hope that helps!
We of course can't ignore pulling the red card: it practically has protection from: Whipflare, Slagstorm, GBlast, ITitan, BVolley, and blocks Hellrider.

Is the "it" you're referring to the Surgeon?  Because I don't see how it has protection from those things you listed as they don't deal combat damage.

Is the "it" you're referring to the Surgeon?  Because I don't see how it has protection from those things you listed as they don't deal combat damage.

I thought he was talking about removing the red splash and therefore the Falkenrath Aristocrat (which if any other critter is around on your side does have protection against the named spells).
Again. Not an amazing deck, but I MUCH prefer this at budget than him trying to justify putting in 8 mythics and a dozen rares, trying to justify how cheap they are on Magic Online. Yes, there are a bunch of rares here, but Gravecrawler and Messenger have gone down a lot since the event decks have them.

My only feedback is that I really enjoyed the earlier article format, seeing the matches played. I understand that time is a big factor there. But, for decks that have aren't just rush decks, I would ask that you explain how you actually pilot the deck more efficiently. What are some common interactions? I just started playing standard again, and have been thinking about a pod deck, but really don't know the in/outs because people don't really play them much at my FNM store.
I'm a bit surprised he took out the free sac outlet. and all the metamorphs...  one of the strongest things you can do in standard at the moment is constant messangers... pod a messenger into a metamorph as a copy, and then pod the copy into another one...

The aristocrat could have been replaced by Bloodflow connoisseur to maintain the tutorable kill condition...
No discussion about Killing Wave? It's such a great victory condition, especially when you get multiple Blood Artists in play.
My only feedback is that I really enjoyed the earlier article format, seeing the matches played. I understand that time is a big factor there. But, for decks that have aren't just rush decks, I would ask that you explain how you actually pilot the deck more efficiently. What are some common interactions? I just started playing standard again, and have been thinking about a pod deck, but really don't know the in/outs because people don't really play them much at my FNM store.

I did too. Even 1-2 matches, and then an explanation of his sideboard tech for the rest? Is AVR not online yet? I understand how hard it is to make match reports at actual cardboard tournaments; It's hard enough to even record solitaire matches.
Needs to have 1 or 2 copies of Black Sun's Zenith in the SB to deal with spirits, either that or Ratchet Bomb as in the original.
I think we can agree, this was much better than budget reanimator. Maybe he could do some more artcles like this in the future? (not to brag, but I suggested the idea)

You're right, unfortunately, that was my favorite thing about the GSurgeon.

My only feedback is that I really enjoyed the earlier article format, seeing the matches played

That was actually the biggest criticism of the old format as he listed maybe 2 games and they were riddled with gameplay errors. Nobody was liking "1) give us deck, 2) give us board, 3) show 2 bad match write-ups". In the new system, he should be taking more feedback. You can read where he asks for feedback if we want to hear more. If we do, he should further develop the deck like a real player does.

I'm a bit surprised he took out the free sac outlet. and all the metamorphs...  one of the strongest things you can do in standard at the moment is constant messangers... pod a messenger into a metamorph as a copy, and then pod the copy into another one... 

It sounds neat, but maybe it's not quite worth the large pricetag.

No discussion about Killing Wave? It's such a great victory condition, especially when you get multiple Blood Artists in play.

KWave is effectively a burn card. It's good sideboard against other decks with floods of creatures that hope to race you, but pointless against everything else.

Needs to have 1 or 2 copies of Black Sun's Zenith in the SB to deal with spirits, either that or Ratchet Bomb as in the original.

It's unfortunate how expensive those things still hit your wallet. This deck's lucky they can outrace so well, my Pod deck just ignores the card mostly, and thankfully it isn't around FNM much at all for some reason. All I've really got is CDemon, but that's been pretty damn good.

KWave is effectively a burn card. It's good sideboard against other decks with floods of creatures that hope to race you, but pointless against everything else.

First, it seems like that would be most of the field, yeah? Second, it's a sac outlet for all your guys for only B, so it's a cheap finisher if you're the aggressor, and yet it's a potent (partial) sweeper if your opponent is ahead on the board.
Not my field for sure. Mage-Blade doesn't care if it pays 2, goes to 10 for GoSTraft. FRites doesn't care if it pays 2 to go to 18 for Elesh Norn, GC. RG Ramp doesn't care if it pays 4 for PrimeTime and Thrun, tLT, meanwhile sacrificing SSimulacrum willingly. But against UB Zombies it can win a race, although it seems situational since they're just like you: they may just take free sacs on most of their creatures.

Aggro decks: many of them don't care about life, and willingly pay anything to keep board presence, because hey, if you win the game at 10 or 4 doesn't matter. Even worse, many of the decks have answers to death in the form of death being only the beginning.

Everything else: the card burns these decks for an insignificant amount of damage. 
Yeah, looking at today's TD I was really thinking more about Block.

But, the card still adds reach that this deck doesn't have. For B I can sac five creatures and drain 10 life. Or for 4B I can force you to pay 4 life for every creature you think you need to kill me with. I still think it's an oversight to not even mention in this deck that doesn't have any sac outlets but desperately wants them.
Hi guys, I'm returning from a year off from Mtg and really like the look of Birthing Pod Decks. Feels a similar vibe to Polymorph decks way back when. I really like the look of the Naya pod decks (rather than the zombies). Anyone able to help me out in building a decent (relatively budget) deck? Or point me in the right direction??

Thanks guys! 
Is this deck good?

60 Cards
23   Swamp

23   Lands

3   Skirsdag High Priest
4   Diregraf Ghoul
4   Blood Artist
2   Falkenrath Noble
3   Black Cat
1   Gloom Surgeon
1   Skinrender