Is an Attack a Check?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dread Weapons have the following property:

"On a critical hit the target takes the weapon's enhancement bonus as a penalty to defense and checks until the end of your next turn."

My group, and it seems like a lot of other people's groups, would say that "checks" means skill & ability checks in this case.

However, from the Rules Compendium...

"An attack roll is a kind of check that occurs in every battle, where the target number for the check is the defense of a target."

So is the penalty to just defenses/skills/abilities, or are attacks included as well?

It's hard to find other examples since they almost never just say "checks", it usually specifies skill checks or ability checks.
I'd have said no...but it may be the case that this is another instance of the RC messing up a perfectly good thing.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Actually, now that I've looked, PHB1 also lists the 3 main kinds of checks as attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks.
Well, every time the distinction is needed, that an item does not apply to attack rolls, it clearly spells out ability checks. Since this is not the case here, one should assume, that it was intentional.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

Dread Weapons affects any checks and attack rolls and saving throws are a kind of checks, among other things. 

RC 23 Making Checks: Making checks is the core mechanic of the game. It follows a few simple steps:

1. Roll a twenty-sided die (d20). The higher the result, the better.
2. Add any relevant modifiers, wether bonuses of penalties
3. Compare to the target number. If the result equal or exceed the target number, the check succeed. Otherwise, its a failure.

This is simple gouverns most Dungeons & Dragons Play. Three types of checks come up in most sessions of the game: attack rolls, skill checks and ability checks.  No matter what type of check a creature is making, modifiers come into play: bonuses, penalties or both.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I'd have said no...but it may be the case that this is another instance of the RC messing up a perfectly good thing.

Attacking is a check according to the PHB, as well. So not the RC's fault.