DOTP 2013 New Gameplay Trailer

92 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is the new trailer for DOTP 2013. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7mx2uUr6g

You guys see anything interesting?
I saw a massive amount of tokens (0:38) with what appears to be the exact same selection system.  Hopefully I am wrong but it looks like the mass attacker issue will still cause problem when selecting appropriate blockers.
That trailer was amazing. It looked as if the overhauled a lot. Blocking seems easier to see as it looks like the broadened the playing field. Music was great. I like the CG and I hope the tell a story this time. Bottom line is I am more pumped for this game than before. Kudos to the producers of that trailer!

It begins !!!

Must... search... for cards....

forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t...

Some cards like Chandra & the Gorgon already detailed in here. 
I saw a Mox Opal on Nicol Bolas' board...
Nice video!
I'm hoping the Nicol Bolas deck is playable this time.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I find it slightly amusing there was an overwhelming amount of monocolored decks being shown in this trailer, when we're getting manual land tapping by the way. I wonder if some of these decks "unlock" extra colors or something.
Yeah I saw two mono green decks, I hope they differ enough to actually warrant using both. 40 card unlocks is really nice and that will help.

I saw a R/W deck, I hope the 3 other decks are multicolored, I wouldnt mind that at all. Plus there will be dlc obv.

Maybe they consider a deck "green" but it has a few cards like Simic Sky Swallower etc, not enough to warrant calling it G/U.

Kinda like how I use Delver Spirits irl, and use lingering souls, my only card that uses black mana. They may not consider that as a big enough deal etc.

Or Brodo can simply be right which is also nice.
I find it slightly amusing there was an overwhelming amount of monocolored decks being shown in this trailer, when we're getting manual land tapping by the way. I wonder if some of these decks "unlock" extra colors or something.

I think that's the case, because I already saw people talking about 4 variations of white decks (2 monowhites, a BW and a WR), for example.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I think that's the case, because I already saw people talking about 4 variations of white decks (2 monowhites, a BW and a WR), for example.

Same here, theres enough cards in the decks to run them dual or mono, if every deck was like that, that would be amazing.

Imagine March to War with 20 more unlockable cards, the possibilities.
Yeah, with 40 unlocks and cores that aren't built "sucky" initially, you could easily hide another color in the unlocks if you wanted to. Just seemed really odd to have manual land tapping be part of the "advertising" with the Duels 2013 announcement, but then show almost no multicolor deck use in this trailer.
I saw unmake at 0:36 in the trailer, which confirms cards with dual costs in them, and confirms a b/w deck.
Hmmm at 40 seconds you can see someone editing Garruks deck. It says 99 cards in deck with 14 unlocked and zero locked suggesting more cards and less unlocks. Is it stated somewhere that 40 unlocks are confirmed?
Hmmm at 40 seconds you can see someone editing Garruks deck. It says 99 cards in deck with 14 unlocked and zero locked suggesting more cards and less unlocks. Is it stated somewhere that 40 unlocks are confirmed?

Well if you subtract the 37 lands from the 99 cards, and assume a 36 core deck (24 lands) and add the extra 14 unlocks, you get a total of 40 unlocks.
At 0:24 when it shows Dragon Mage, the card itself is red, and there is a green land on the side untapped, plus what looks to be a plains on the right of it tapped. G/R/W deck?

If so that confirms R/W, B/W, G/R/W, at least. All we need to do is tie one of these decks to a deck we thought was a mono color deck and we know the decks types on the selection screen change.
Don't forget the possibility of screens being taken from Challenges. That threw us a curveball for some of the 2012 screenshots last year if I rememeber correctly. It's also interesting because Dragon Mage doesn't have the usual Duels rarity symbol, but it's actually using the symbol used for a lot of promo cards.
Yeah true, I guess the only official info we have is 3 deck names, some planeswalker names, and cards we will see in game.
This trailer looks almost like the trailer for D12 last year. I was so excited for duels2012, but I couldn't be any less excited about this. It seems to me they are selling the exact same game with exact same problems again. Even the decks seem to be the same monocolor aggro decks we've had in every duels now.

I beg you, please someone name something new that's in the game that will get me excited about it ?
IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)
Was just reading the youtube comments and one said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... Seriously?!
Was just reading the youtube comments and one said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... Seriously?!

Is he talking about their game or their business plan?
So...got some screenshots here.

IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/DotP131.jpg)
40 unlocks per deck confirmed
Looks like 2 new Planeswalkers/playable characters.
VERY interesting Deck breakdown: Speed, creature size, flexibility and synergy

IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/DotP133.jpg)
Xathrid Gorgon.
IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/XathridGorgon.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/DotP13.jpg)
That does look ilke Bolas is packing a Mox Jet in the top left corner there.

IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/DotP134.jpg)
99 cards in deck, and there's a new-art Emerald Medallion there.

IMAGE(http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/Splattercat/DotP135.jpg)
Astral Arena
only 1 creature can attack
Only one creature can block
Also looks like Odric and Kienza are new Planeswalkers.
Nice work, thanks

That looks like Siege-Gang Commander in the first screenie. Nasty card!
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
This trailer looks almost like the trailer for D12 last year. I was so excited for duels2012, but I couldn't be any less excited about this. It seems to me they are selling the exact same game with exact same problems again. Even the decks seem to be the same monocolor aggro decks we've had in every duels now.

I beg you, please someone name something new that's in the game that will get me excited about it ?

Planechase? It's Magic, what really changes besides new cards and decks?

I want to disagree with your opinion of the decks, at least off the information we've seen. I feel like this game could answer what '09 advocates complained about the 2012 decks. Although, the amount of information we received is small, but there actually seems like there are distinct identity differences between these decks. BW built around the exalted mechanic? Monoblue mill? Garruk's deck actually looking like a decent monogreen midrange build? Sure, maybe things like this have been done before, but they look like they could be done right this time around. New and better cards with possibly proper builds from the start. Card-wise, I really like what I'm seeing. Maybe I'll change my tune when full decklists are spoiled, but we'll see.
Don't forget that 40 unlocks allow multiple deck builds and variatons. And yeah, I agree. From what we have already seen the decks look quite different. Mono :U: mill will have a lot of fans, finally Garruk's deck seems actually good this time and hybrid mana allows a wider card pool.

I guess mono :B: vampires and maybe even :G: elves will miss this time?

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Don't forget that 40 unlocks allow multiple deck builds and variatons. And yeah, I agree. From what we have already seen the decks look quite different. Mono :U: mill will have a lot of fans, finally Garruk's deck seems actually good this time and hybrid mana allows a wider card pool.

I hope you are right, there is a confirmed goblin tribal, which I am happy about. But I don't want to see too many more tribal aggro decks.. especially more elves / vamps.
And I might be in the minority here, but I am hoping liliana is still a discard deck, I find that mechanic a lot of fun.

I hope you are right, there is a confirmed goblin tribal, which I am happy about. But I don't want to see too many more tribal aggro decks.. especially more elves / vamps.
And I might be in the minority here, but I am hoping liliana is still a discard deck, I find that mechanic a lot of fun.

I wouldn't mind another Liliana discard deck - would love to see cards like [C]Black Cat[/C], [C]Appetite for Brains[/C] and more.

By the way I like the Emerald in Garruk's deck which is some kind of ramp.

By the way I like the Emerald in Garruk's deck which is some kind of ramp.

I heard talk that Garruk's deck is now rampy Green.

What I find interesting is the "Deck Flexibility" entry. I'm assuming that means "how easily you can deviate from the core deck design".

So I imagine a deck, say Garruk's Green, would have a low flexibility score because it's designed to ramp and spew huge creatures and that's pretty much all.
Whereas a more flexible deck might be a Liliana Discard which might include (made up example) enough discard cards and enough Reanimator cards to make the deck full discard, full reanimator or a combination of the two.

If I'm right in that assumption, that's very awesome.
Yeah thats what I took Deck flexibility to mean aswell which sounds like it should be great, 40 unlocks per deck really means there can be some versatility between builds.

I'm just hoping the screenshots don't include expansions, as that will mean we will get less than 40 unlocks in the core game game and some of the cards we've seen might not be in the core game aswell.
@Splattercat

Yeah, I had the same thoughts. Like you said, how much does the deck rely on a single strategy (mill for example) and can it win the game even if that strategy has failed during the match (opponent uses [C]Elixir of Immortality[/C] for example).

'Card Synergy' entry also screams "Combo" as well.

I agree, but it would be great to know the scale of this. Like how many stars is Primeval Titan granting Pack Instincts when it "combos" with Rampaging Baloths and Howl of the Night Pack? And I'm sure tribal decks or decks potentially built around a mechanic (exalted) are  considered highly synergistic.

I wonder which attribute is better to have, card syngery or deck flexibility? Deck flexibility sounds like you're more open in deck editing because cards are more likely good in a vacuum, but having cards that work with each other sounds really good as well. I guess I'll have to hope for a deck to have a high stat in both categories and I will be unstoppable!

I agree, but it would be great to know the scale of this. Like how many stars is Primeval Titan granting Pack Instincts when it "combos" with Rampaging Baloths and Howl of the Night Pack? And I'm sure tribal decks or decks potentially built around a mechanic (exalted) are  considered highly synergistic.

I wonder which attribute is better to have, card syngery or deck flexibility? Deck flexibility sounds like you're more open in deck editing because cards are more likely good in a vacuum, but having cards that work with each other sounds really good as well. I guess I'll have to hope for a deck to have a high stat in both categories and I will be unstoppable!

Well, so far what we have is three decks (out of a possible 5 stars):

Celestial Light:
Creature Size: **
Deck Speed: ***
Deck Flexibility: *
Card Synergy: ****

Born of Flame:
Creature Size: ****
Deck Speed: **
Deck Flexibility: ****
Card Synergy: *

And a (presumably) Goblin Deck:
Creature Size: *
Deck Speed: *****
Deck Flexibility: **
Card Synergy: ****

Just those three decks alone are very diverse.
Celestial Lght: Small creatures, fairly quick, linear stategy, lots of combos
Born of Flame: meaty creatures, slow to start, very versatile, but cards are seemingly "one-shots" (Presuming there's not a lot of synergy to be had with burn).
Goblins: weenie extreme, stupidly fast, fairly linear design, combo-rific.

Goblins and Celestial do seem to have overall design similarities of course. Even so, with just this kind of thought going in, I like 2013 better than 2012 already.

Planechase? It's Magic, what really changes besides new cards and decks?

I want to disagree with your opinion of the decks, at least off the information we've seen. I feel like this game could answer what '09 advocates complained about the 2012 decks. Although, the amount of information we received is small, but there actually seems like there are distinct identity differences between these decks. BW built around the exalted mechanic? Monoblue mill? Garruk's deck actually looking like a decent monogreen midrange build? Sure, maybe things like this have been done before, but they look like they could be done right this time around. New and better cards with possibly proper builds from the start. Card-wise, I really like what I'm seeing. Maybe I'll change my tune when full decklists are spoiled, but we'll see.

Well if nothing changes, then why couldn't this be a DLC? If they aren't going to change the mechanics. There's plenty of bugs because of the engine and the gameplay is far from perfect. Introducing free cursor select for consoles would alone improve it a lot, it's a pain to try and browse through the cards in the table, and when someone plays a spell or something happens the cursor jumps back to beginning. There are tons off things like that listed on the bugs and improvements threads.

If the decks are all new then great! But I can guarantee that if not included on the release they'll sell as vampires, elves, apex/teethofpredator, black discard, zombies, white kor/soldier deck, U/B artifact deck, red burn deck and all the other decks we've bought twice already once again as dlc. Since we've already bought those, couldn't they just add these new decks as DLC and new cards for the old decks, I would have paid double to amount for that.

Also what about other features we've asked for? Random Deck mode, Attack Left mode, Draft mode? How about constructing your own deck from the pool of cards in the game?

I don't know anything about Planechase mode, so maybe it's what makes me wanna buy this, but as of now, this series seems to take the bloodsucking EA sports road, releasing the same game with something small added and something small removed every year.
IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)IMAGE(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/images/smilies/manab.gif)
people were amazed by this trailer? it had the exact opposite effect on me.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Well if nothing changes, then why couldn't this be a DLC? IT could, but probably it wouldn't give 40 cards unlock, so I'm for a new game.
 If they aren't going to change the mechanics. WE don't know what they'll change. We know they added Planechase, probably difficult as DLC.
There's plenty of bugs because of the engine and the gameplay is far from perfect. True, some hope tyey'll fix some of them, maybe they'll somehow change the engine

Also what about other features we've asked for? Random Deck mode, Attack Left mode, Draft mode? How about constructing your own deck from the pool of cards in the game? I'd hate it and I know many players would. I'm happy that now we'll have 40 unlocks, but on the other hand it could also alter the experience. Now you have decks that you can tweak - you know what to expect, even if there can be suprises, it's a kind of limited/restricted environmentthat works great. Now if you had the pool od hundreds of cards that's the different story - play MTGO for this, which engine is beeing refreshed. I tried MTGO, didn't like it, restricted is what I like with DOTP.

I don't know anything about Planechase mode, so maybe it's what makes me wanna buy this, but as of now, this series seems to take the bloodsucking EA sports road, releasing the same game with something small added and something small removed every year. That's great, I'd argue that the additions are small - even that some decks are familiar, many cards differ, and there were completely new decks/thems in DOTP 2012 as I believe will be with 2013. I wanted DLC mainly to have a little (not too much) card variety. 40 unlocks is great, so now I'm in for yearly release - couple of new DLC deck through the year and a new game in summer. Especially, that the price is a steal, I'd pay full AAA price instantly (bought arkham asylum, got bored after 15-20 hours, played DOTP 20 times that). Of course I'd complain about the bugs even more (I'm not blind DOTP worshipper, i like the game very much but am furious at how they treat customers and don't deal with bugs).

Maybe I am overly cynical, but I get the feeling we are deliberately getting drip-fed important features rather than a mass implementation of what they know everyone wants.

It took years of screaming and Wizards-denial before they finally put core deck editing into D12, which is probably the biggest/only playability improvement.

This time it's just manual mana tap, again which everyone has been screaming for since day 1.

I'm guessing D14 will have yet another one extra playability feature. I think they don't want to play all their cards at once.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Maybe I am overly cynical, but I get the feeling we are deliberately getting drip-fed important features rather than a mass implementation of what they know everyone wants.

It took years of screaming and Wizards-denial before they finally put core deck editing into D12, which is probably the biggest/only playability improvement.

This time it's just manual mana tap, again which everyone has been screaming for since day 1.

I'm guessing D14 will have yet another one extra playability feature. I think they don't want to play all their cards at once.

But it is an improvement. 09 played better, 12 looked better. Looks like 13 may play as well as 09, with the decks as well constructed as 12's DLC, while keeping a sleek finish. They can drip feed me features/decks/extras all year every year. Hopefully theyll be less bugs this time, i dont think its possible to ship a game 100% bug free.

Im optimistic about this new game. Besides, i spent 2400 MSFT points (about £20) on DOTP 2012, ive easily put in over 300 hours on the game, maybe even double that.

Yeah that's exactly the feeling I get, and that's where my EA Sports comparison comes.

And for hovercraft78, there is no argument that you would need to make a new engine or even patch the game for 40 unlocks. The engine supports unlimited unlocks. Though at start it only had like 20 unlocks or so, each DLC brough 3 cards to unlock for each deck, no new engine was required.

The reason I would rather have this as DLC, is because I already have 20 decks on my Duels2012, that I could play against these new decks. But now we get 10 "new" (they aren't really new anyway) decks and then they sell us the old decks again.

They did the same with duels2012-duels2009:
Apex Warriors - Teeth of Predator
Wielding Steel - Weapons of the Warrior
Blood Hunger - Master of Shadows
Guardians of the Wood - Ears of the Elves
Unquenchable Fire - Heat of Battle
Machinations - Relics of Doom
Grave Whispers - Eyes of Shadow
Cloudburst - Root of the Firemind

And similar themes, even though 50% cards are different
Strength of Stone - Hands of Flame
Dragon's Roar - Scales of Fury

Half of the decks in duels2012 were almost identical to the decks in duels09. I wouldn't call changing 10-15 cards in a 80 card deck a "new deck"
Drip-feeding features while making obvious improvements is smart business planning.
It's not the answer you want, but they've confirmed this to be an annual release, so you're not going to get everything you want in any iteration of DotP.

If anything, a better comparison would be to WWE games: They (attempt to) improve the overall look and gameplay experience, and they drop certain features (I'm assuming no Archenemy this time around?) in favour of new ones (Planechase).

Devil's advocate: They have an outline for 2014 penciled and have a general idea what kind of content they will include (Commander/EDH perhaps? we have 100+ card decks now).

If they give us everything they plan to in 2014 now, what do they do to sell 2014?
Maybe its nothing but DOTP pushes the 360 pretty hard with all the calculations going on, maybe theres some kind of limit on how many cards the computer can 'think' about and all those possible outcomes. Youve seen how long Archenemy can take with 3 AI opponents. The game runs through all the possibilities of what to do, and thats only with a few card. Adding in the possibility that your deck can have 200 cards out of a pool of thousands would cause my console to melt.

Maybe next gen well see larger card pools?