You might be playing DnD wrong if...

233 posts / 0 new
Last post
You took social skills in a party with none so you could be the party 'face'

I would add to that " ... and Charisma is not one of your key stats."

I was kinda aiming for the fact that in 4e, being the party face means that you roll and succeed massively on a social challenge, then the next 3 guys fail because they have no social skills, which auto fails the challenge (or alternately gives you a big penalty to your roll if they were smart and just tried to aid the next roll). You can't be the party face because the challenge rules say everyone must participate.
You use all your daily powers in the first encounter of the day to prove to the rest of the group how awesome you are.

I was kinda aiming for the fact that in 4e, being the party face means that you roll and succeed massively on a social challenge, then the next 3 guys fail because they have no social skills, which auto fails the challenge (or alternately gives you a big penalty to your roll if they were smart and just tried to aid the next roll). You can't be the party face because the challenge rules say everyone must participate.

Hate to say it, but you might be playing DnD wrong if you think that's how Skill Challenges should work, entirely likely it's your DMs fault for making a skill challenge be "roll diplomacy, now bluff, now diplomacy, now streetwise" or some other such nonsense and not allow 1 PC to make all the checks. SCs are supposed to be used for more complex goals than "convince X people of Y"
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
You might be playing D&D wrong if:

You are playing a Hybrid Assassin and choose to be Hybrid Binder instead of Hybrid Warlock because "Shadow walk as my hybrid talent, duh!"

You are attempting to play a snapping testudo.

You are riding a griffon mount indoors, and then say, incredulously, "What do you mean it suffers penalties?"

You get upset when your DM tells you that intimidating a god probably wont work... when you are level 3 (True story)

You get upset that your level 10 warlock can't hit anything with a 16 charisma and 16 dex. (also true story.)
I've removed content from this thread because trolling is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here.

I find that 4e kinda sucked for social compared to 3e. I've seen awesome social rogues and some geat roleplay made with characters who put skill points in some social skills.

On the the topic at hand:
You decide to use a sickly looking unidentified potion found in a necromancer's lair on a dying comrade seirously exclaiming"It could be a healing potion, we won't know unless we try" despite the other players looking at you as if you were an idiot.

I find that line of thinking to be rather faulty. 4e social skills still work the same as in 3e, you would just need to not make social interactions be "skill challenges". Just train your Rogue or other class in Bluff or Diplomacy. Just because some of these skills don't start out on your list they are relatively easy to pick-up.
There is some validity to that sentiment. In 3e, the DC for any given skill check is usually hard coded/set. In 4e it scales with your level. This means that skill investment is basically permanent in 3e, once you pass a threshhold, you are basically assured of success during your career. But due to that level scaling, some of you skill investment can become eroded over time.

3e's hardcoded DCs for a wide array of things also meant being a diplomancer was a legitimate option. When the rules say passing the check shifts the target from hostile to neutral or even friendly, the DM has less wiggle room short of rule 0. 4e is much more abstract and let's the DM decide up front what is possible and how hard it is.
There is some validity to that sentiment. In 3e, the DC for any given skill check is usually hard coded/set. In 4e it scales with your level. This means that skill investment is basically permanent in 3e, once you pass a threshhold, you are basically assured of success during your career. But due to that level scaling, some of you skill investment can become eroded over time. 3e's hardcoded DCs for a wide array of things also meant being a diplomancer was a legitimate option. When the rules say passing the check shifts the target from hostile to neutral or even friendly, the DM has less wiggle room short of rule 0. 4e is much more abstract and let's the DM decide up front what is possible and how hard it is.

My opinion is based around 100% Home games. I have never, ever played LFR or at GEN Con and such so my DM's have always played somewhat loose with these rule sets. So i guess i differ from alot of the posters to these forums. I've always labored under the opinion that as long as the core mechanics of the game are intact the extraneous rules could be worked around, like the skill challenge system. DM's should always be willing to work with their players to an extent as long as it;s not breaking or hindering the game for anyone.

Not sure if this counts, but:

Having a Bard stride into the middle of a cave that holds an Elite/Solo Troll warpriest, and telling him (with Bluff) that he is behind on his rent and to leave.  Surprisingly, this didn't work. 

This was the same character, who tried to Bluff his way past the Troll doorman earlier in the adventure by saying he was delivering pizza.

~Rhistele 
You might be playing D&D right if you try to Bluff past a Troll doorman while in the Form of the Primeval Bulette!
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
-You're a fighter wielding orbs or cookware.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with refluffing a mordenkrad as a giant cast iron skillet.

Samwise Gamgee was actually better in a fight with a club (cooking skillet) than he was with a sword.  He didn't get good with the sword until he put on the Ring necklace.  Inspired this:

Sam's Cookware.  Can be used in combat as a club.  Can also be used in a skill challenge: if the PC offers to cook food as part of a skill challenge, get a +2 to any one CHR-based skill check.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

...if you have to ask whether your 1st level fighter uses Strength to attack.
...if your 1st level Ranger's first action is an RBA, and you're not a Hunter.
...if you believe a player has to AP to attack twice.
...if the other players are wondering whether you've even read the PHB.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
You spend a Daily attack power only to find out that you just wasted it on a minion. (True Story)

I once watched another Warlock unload Contagion (d1) on a minion, unknowing.  The disease killed the minion before it could spread.
This was before minion-tests had been developed and became common knowledge.

You might be playing DnD wrong if you move next to two melee minions and use a ranged attack on one of them because "they're minions, they won't hurt me much."

Show

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

variation on the "move move charge" theme:
You might be playing DnD wrong if you check the initiative order, see it reads "you, ALL the enemies, your friends", and charge into a crowd of enemies anyways.

You might be playing DnD wrong if initiative ALWAYS ends up as "all the enemies, all the party".  (Because your DM and your party need a math check.)

Show

Prepped ahead of time:

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

Character Ready-to-go:

You use a weapon that lets you MBA from 5 squares away, because you don't want to get close if you don't have to, with a class that only has 1 melee at-will. And dilettante Sword Burst instead of Booming Blade because as a striker you want to deal good damage to swarms and insubstantial creatures.
...if you have to ask whether your 1st level fighter uses Strength to attack.
...if your 1st level Ranger's first action is an RBA, and you're not a Hunter.
...if you believe a player has to AP to attack twice.
...if the other players are wondering whether you've even read the PHB.

...if you have to ask which die you need to roll for damage, using your trusty same-as-always short sword. And what to add to the attack roll.
...if you spend the majority of your encounters without having CA for even a single round. As a rogue.
...if you still have to ask what an AP does. If you even remember that there is something called "Action Point".
...if the other players know you haven't even read the PHB. Well, most of them haven't either.
In response to: "You're a member of a class where a non-attack stat that is not boosted by your race is higher than your primary attack stat that is boosted by your race."

You are playing D&D wrong if you think that a race/class combo *have* to share the bump stats of the race with the primary stats of the class and/or you chide or berate someone for making a character where these don't match up (ie, "You're not playing it how I want you to play it, so you are doing it wrong!")
I think that comment was more "Why are you playing a Drow Rogue with an 18 Int and 16 Dex?" than "Why are you playing a Shadar-Kai Fighter?" The former is intentionally or ignorantly creating a bad character whose presence is going to force the DM to softball encounters, the later is just a non-optimal race/class combination which these boards would probably go "why aren't you playing a (Str Race)?" we won't skip to "lol u r dum adn bad!" unless the person is also taking burst powers with feats/items that boost melee attacks.
Playing a fox hengeyoukai protector druid, because you thought it would be cool to play as a god of harvest???
Playing a fox hengeyoukai protector druid, because you thought it would be cool to play as a god of harvest???

And exactly how is that wrong? Hengeyokai even get a bonus to the primary stat. The reason is perfectly fine, too.
^ Oinari-sama!
In response to: "You're a member of a class where a non-attack stat that is not boosted by your race is higher than your primary attack stat that is boosted by your race."

You are playing D&D wrong if you think that a race/class combo *have* to share the bump stats of the race with the primary stats of the class and/or you chide or berate someone for making a character where these don't match up (ie, "You're not playing it how I want you to play it, so you are doing it wrong!")

I'm referring to characters whose race does bump their primary attack stat, yet have a stat higher than that. Example: Halfling Rogue with a starting 17 Str/16 Dex to take advantage of Nasty Backswing's bonus Str damage. True story.

And exactly how is that wrong? Hengeyokai even get a bonus to the primary stat. The reason is perfectly fine, too.

Lol, it is a joke aimed at one of recent character concepts, had to do it since protector druids get verdant touch, anyway the only problem with it is that nearly all the feat support for druids is for wildshape rather than a caster druid, though that does mean i can take the wildshape feat but i kind of want to be a caster druid. Also other players in your group may not take best to it if you make a character who promotes himself as a deity, couple people in my group have hinted at the idea of taking care of my character so i wondering whether it is bothering them too much.
Lol, it is a joke aimed at one of recent character concepts, had to do it since protector druids get verdant touch, anyway the only problem with it is that nearly all the feat support for druids is for wildshape rather than a caster druid, though that does mean i can take the wildshape feat but i kind of want to be a caster druid. Also other players in your group may not take best to it if you make a character who promotes himself as a deity, couple people in my group have hinted at the idea of taking care of my character so i wondering whether it is bothering them too much.

A caster druid is perfectly viable. Aspirations to become a deity are normal in D&D 4e. Already posing as one might be frowned upon by particularly pious characters, but isn't exactly wrong.
This is more a case of "You might be playing your personal campaign/in your personal group wrong..." than anything else.

A caster druid is perfectly viable. Aspirations to become a deity are normal in D&D 4e. Already posing as one might be frowned upon by particularly pious characters, but isn't exactly wrong.
This is more a case of "You might be playing your personal campaign/in your personal group wrong..." than anything else.

Hmmm i think you may be right.
You might be playing D&D wrong if...

...you as DM hopelessly look at your dice for the d7 to determine the day of the week.
...you as a player actually have a d7. (I swear they actually make them.)

...you build a character by randomly determining race and class and then get upset that it isn't what you wanted. (Our response, "It was your idea, idiot.)

...you throw your dice off the table at least 5 times each evening. ("That is it, you now have to use a Trouble gameboard for your d6 rolls.")

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

...you throw your dice off the table at least 5 times each evening. ("That is it, you now have to use a Trouble gameboard for your d6 rolls.")

I don't know which would be more annoying to be honest.  Watching the person fumble while they recover their dice...or that infernal Click Pop! for every die roll on the Pop-O-Matic Bubble.

I don't know which would be more annoying to be honest.  Watching the person fumble while they recover their dice...or that infernal Click Pop! for every die roll on the Pop-O-Matic Bubble.

We eventually made our point. He brought a box to roll into. Stupid lvl1 sorcerers and their 6d6 on a miss for a daily...

We eventually made our point. He brought a box to roll into. Stupid lvl1 sorcerers and their 6d6 on a miss for a daily...

what about the stupid level 2 paladins and their 9d6b1 dailies?
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

You might be playing wrong if you're doing 6d6+cha on a miss with a daily as a Sorcerer, because that's not what the power does, it does half damage on a miss. You're also playing wrong if you chose that power to begin with, Shocking Magnetism and Howling Tempest are flat out better if you're Dex based, and Lightning Breath if you're Dragon Magic (never play Cosmic)
You might be playing wrong if you're doing 6d6+cha on a miss with a daily as a Sorcerer, because that's not what the power does, it does half damage on a miss. You're also playing wrong if you chose that power to begin with, Shocking Magnetism and Howling Tempest are flat out better if you're Dex based, and Lightning Breath if you're Dragon Magic (never play Cosmic)

Half damage doesn't mean he won't get to roll all those d6. Btw, Dazzling Ray is dark blue or sky blue for Wild Sorcerers, so that's still viable and not wrong.

You should try playing Champions, where throwing around 12-15d6 can be commonplace.  You *need* a box to roll into.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Half damage doesn't mean he won't get to roll all those d6. Btw, Dazzling Ray is dark blue or sky blue for Wild Sorcerers, so that's still viable and not wrong.

Guides are not always accurate. Dazzling Ray is something that really only looks impressive, but mathmatically and tactically doesn't measure up to the powers I listed. It's worse for KPR, worse for DPR, worse for Control, and worse for multi-target, it really only helps your single target nova at 1st and 2nd level, after which Howling Tempest and Shocking Magnetism are automatically better due to Flame Spiral synergy. I suppose you can always retrain?

edit: Thinking back, there's a power that basically does full damage on a miss (only loses the ongoing 5), Dragonfang Bolt, which ends up above the 80% Multi-target average without any initial investment in damage. Since it gives you the same odds of killing 2 creatuers with an AP as Dazzling Ray does of killing 1 creature with an AP, it's barely a contest.

Maths
Show

20/16 build, first feat is Expertise, Second is Accurate Implement, Staff of Ruin at 3rd level
+6 Hit vs 13 NAD at 1st, +8 Hit vs 14 NAD at 2nd, +9 Hit vs 15 NAD at 3rd
+8 Damage at 1st and 2nd, +10 Damage at 3rd

Dazzling Ray: 6d6+8, 14.5 Miss, 29 Average, 44 Crit (1st and 2nd); 15.5 Miss, 31 Average, 51.5 Crit (3rd)
1st - (.3*14.5)+(.65*29)+(.05*44) = 25.4 Average Damage
2nd - (.25*14.5)+(.7*29)+(.05*44) = 26.125 Average Damage
3rd - (.25*15.5)+(.7*31)+(.05*51.5) = 28.15 Average Damage

Dragonfang Bolt: 2d8+13, 17 Miss, 22 Average, 29 Crit (1st and 2nd); 19 Miss, 24 Average, 36.5 Crit (3rd)
1st - (.3*17)+(.65*22)+(.05*29) = 20.85 x 2 = 41.7 Average Damage
2nd - (.25*17)+(.7*22)+(.05*29) = 21.1 x 2 = 42.2 Average Damage
3rd - (.25*14.5)+(.7*29)+(.05*44) = 23.375 x 2 = 46.75 Average Damage
Flame Spiral synergy.

You might be playing D&D wrong if you think it's okay that one level 3 encounter power dominates all potential discussion about the entirety of a class's builds...

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I think that's more of a "You might be designing a game wrong if you give players a fantastic power early on and then provide no valid upgrades through the rest of the game, while at the same time constantly reminding those players that they can take new powers as they level up."

The number of times I've heard "oh, I didn't take/retrained out of Flame Spiral" followed an hour later by "wow, you really do a lot of damage!"

Guides are not always accurate. Dazzling Ray is something that really only looks impressive, but mathmatically and tactically doesn't measure up to the powers I listed. It's worse for KPR, worse for DPR, worse for Control, and worse for multi-target, it really only helps your single target nova at 1st and 2nd level, after which Howling Tempest and Shocking Magnetism are automatically better due to Flame Spiral synergy. I suppose you can always retrain?

I feel that sub par choices are not "playing D&D wrong." It is simply playing it sub par. If playing the CharOpt way is the only way to play D&D, it gets pretty darn boring in my opinion.

You might be playing D&D wrong if you have if you allow your neutral Chaotic Sorcerer hold the group's money over your LG paladin.

you may be playing dnd wrong if you obey the keep out sign.
I feel that sub par choices are not "playing D&D wrong." It is simply playing it sub par. If playing the CharOpt way is the only way to play D&D, it gets pretty darn boring in my opinion.

+1.
Anything besides the best is "suboptimal".
And the best is unkillable and destroyes everything in 1 turn, which isn't fun.

You might be playing D&D wrong if you take a char-op build to a home game.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The exact opposite - don't take a char-op build to a public game (e.g. LFR). If you are playing a home game, you can bring OPd characters and the DM can adjust (this can go quite away, e.g. Shoot to Thrill would be fine, whereas the Oppenheimer would not).
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein