You might be playing DnD wrong if...

233 posts / 0 new
Last post
You think that a Paladin with decent fortitude is "lame" and too much like a Paladin, so you tank it. (True story)
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
You use Ulban's Shining Cloak (or similar powers) and aren't missed.

You use Kelwyn's Final Devastation with the Robe of the Archmage unironically as your first attack of the day.

You use 
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
BUT BUT BUT, I can use powerstrike and Masterstroke TOGETHER
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
You don't bother healing during a short rest because, as a dragonborn, you're "stronger when you're bloodied!"

(True story...and on a defender)
You don't bother healing during a short rest because, as a dragonborn, you're "stronger when you're bloodied!"

You had one of those too, huh?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
You play a rogue and never get your sneak attack off........at Paragon.  (True Story)

Infernis
You're playing a Defender class and think the best way to make yourself a target is to intentionally tank your defenses.
You're playing a Controller and think you are being helpful by sliding/pushing/pulling/teleporting the Swordmage's marked target adjacent to him every time the Swordmage gets some distance.  Especially when you think the swordmage doesn't know what he is doing by leaving his marked because he keeps doing that and asking you to stop, repeatedly.  (True and very annoying story).

You attack after the Warlord sets up a painful set of conditions on the Elite/Solo target supplying +Attack and +Dmg, BUT you NOVA on any target other then the Elite/Solo with the debuffs.

You see a floating treasure chest in a dungeon hallway, and immediately rush fowards to open it despite everyone else's facepalm and the DM asking "Are you sure?".  (My first ever DnD game ... dang Gelatinous Cube.  I was young and stupid.)
Your Barbarian misses one of the endlessly-spawning minions, and spends an Action Point to try and kill it (true story, even the DM facepalmed on that one). 
Your next character is going to be a Minotaur Psion.

Granted we do play a bit differently. That's why we will also have a Mino Seeker and a Duergar Bard all on the table at once. Hurray for rolling random race/class!
ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE THE HYPNOCOW
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Well, at least the extra healing surge is going to come in handy ^__^

Bloodied Ferocity and Vicious Ferocity have some synergy with psionic classes. Perhaps in conjunction with Predictive Defense and close bursts and blasts like Kinetic Buffer, Kinetic Wave and Telekinetic Haze to make a minotaur battle psion? 
Hypnocow sounds utterly fantastic.

I still think its BS that they didn't make minotaurs str/int.  They could have milked the whole good at mazes thing for a lot more than they did.
And to be fair there is also a good halfling templar cleric/small warriors defense build that can use 3 16s at start.  You end up with super high defenses and all your powers have good effect lines or autohit.
I think one of the things to be careful about is that there's a difference between:
Choosing a sub-optimal initial choice that you then optimize around.
Choosing a sub-optimal initial choice because you think you're being optimal.

The 1st is fine, the 2nd is bad, bad, bad.

Someone choosing to play a Minotaur Psion because they think the idea of the Hypnocow would be cool, seems perfectly awesome to me. Hey, and look at that Vicious Ferocity feat - an interrupt for a free at-will.

Now compare it to someone who decides to play a Psion, sees the Vicious Ferocity feat, and then decides to play a Minotaur Psion because that's the 'optimal choice'

In my halfling Rogue example, where the character started off with a 17 Str, 16 Con, and 16 Dex - they did that for two reasons:
To optimize Brutal Scoundrel - at 4th level, they got an additional +4 damage with sneak attack.
To optimize Nasty Backswing - at 4th level, get another additional +4 damage on top of the extra +4 damage.

i.e. when using Nasty Backswing, they'd get to do an additional 1 point of damage over a Halfling Rogue who started with a 16 Str/18 Dex. Of course, they'd get to use Nasty Backswing more often because they had a higher miss chance.

I noticed the problem when the Rogue missed on a 12... 
Hypnocow

milked

I see what you did there.
I'm glad my idea took off so well :D Thanks to Fardiz for making it happen! A few more funny stories, from experience:

- Warforged Paladin took Alchemical Blood: Necrotic to gain 1 point of extra damage on a daily. Feats are precious, my friends. I facepalmed.
- Fighter kicked open the door to the goblin torture chamber, turned around, dropped trou and mooned the goblins for his surprise round. Got a hot poker where the sun don't shine and then was shoved into an iron maiden for his efforts. Just because you've got hilariously low Int and Wis doesn't mean you have to be suicidal :P

Also, to the earlier comments, there's nothing wrong with playing on hard mode. Dying on easy mode however, and frequently at that, you're probably doing something wrong.
-You wonder what Gelatinous Cubes taste like, and decide to find out.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine

This actually came up in one of my sessions. Same fighter who mooned a goblin holding a hot poker (noticing a trend?). Turns out gelatinous cubes taste like burning, and purple.

In Soviet D&D, Jello always has room for YOU!
Have I mentioned recently how much I like your sense of humour, Salla?
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Have I mentioned recently how much I like your sense of humour, Salla?

Thank you.

That can be done...  and somewhat optimaly too.

Yes, even as a living dragonborn.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I can believe that. But in this case, the character did not remain a "living dragonborn" for very long.

It was also around level 3... 
Two Words:  Ruthless Ruffian

I can believe that. But in this case, the character did not remain a "living dragonborn" for very long.

It was also around level 3... 

Yea...

My revenant don't consider starting battles bloodied till mid-late heroic.  You'd need at least paragon for other races.

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I am amused by frequency of the "no, actually that's legit" responses...
I think its cause most of them are rather broad generalizations that can actually be legit, but then it turns out there was some specific piece to the situation that made it bad.

For example.....you might be playing DnD wrong if you are dead.
Unless you're a revenant!
I think its cause most of them are rather broad generalizations that can actually be legit, but then it turns out there was some specific piece to the situation that made it bad. For example.....you might be playing DnD wrong if you are dead.

Many of these are the other way around.

In a broad sense they are bad (16/16/16, starting bloodied)...  but in a few specific cases (builds) they work out.

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
Power
my builds

Unless you're a revenant!

The Iconic Vampire is insulted to not be included in the exception to that.

Also,

- you're playing a vampire that sparkles in the sunshine ... and unlives on. 
Signature
Stay Thirsty, My Friends: A Vampire Handbook Two healing surges? What, me worry? I don't always play strikers, but when I do, I prefer Vampire. Stay thirsty my friends. Everyone please feel free to use Iconic Vampire for CO meme jokes as you like. email: iconicvampire@yahoo.com pw: iconicvampire1337
Blood Collected
mellored lordduskblade
I think its cause most of them are rather broad generalizations that can actually be legit, but then it turns out there was some specific piece to the situation that made it bad. For example.....you might be playing DnD wrong if you are dead.

Many of these are the other way around.

In a broad sense they are bad (16/16/16, starting bloodied)...  but in a few specific cases (builds) they work out.

Or really aren't that critical to the build. Every build handbook admonishes everyone to pick a race that gives +2 to the primary stat. There's nothing that horribly wrong with a Halfling(rated red) Avenger as an example. Pick Expertise is a strong expertise choice and a Heavy War Pick is a very solid weapon. Advantageous Perspective and Small Warrior's Defense are some really great feats for a small character.

The general problem is that if some random person sits down at the table and says, "Hey, I'm a halfling avenger.", odds are you should cringe unless you know the person is an optimizer. 
The funny thing is that while poor builds and poor player frequently go together, sometimes bad players can take good bulds and just play them horribly.

Example, I played an LFR Special (mid-paragon) all Defender party with a Genasi Stormsoul Swordmage.  We were fighting some sort of Swarm creature which counted as 9 separate targets in a 3x3 area.  The creature also had resist 1/2 against melee attacks.  It was on top of the Swordmage who did very good damage with his Swordburst through Promise of Storm, etc.  When it was his turn, he wanted to mark the creature, teleport away and attack a minion, so that "his Aegis could do its job."  We were like what??!!!

I don't like telling players what to do, but was like, "You have 9 targets there with your Swordburst (and at least half the party is melee, so will have trouble hurting it).  I doubt you will have a more effective use of Swordburst virtually ever."

He relented used Swordburst, APed and did again, hit with like 16 out of 18 rolls and did about 500 damage, instead of marking the target and killing a minion!  LOL

Daren
I think the most frustrating issue I run into is knowing how to focus fire. To that, I give my true story submission:

....if 5 of the 6 enemies are bloodied and no one in the party is using aoe.
I almost didn't mention the halfling cleric thing above because of what people mentioned.  Since 99% of the time you shouldn't be ending up with a starting 16/16/16.

One thing I like about 4E is that you can make a viable combination of almost any race and class.  If its not viable its usually something inherently wrong with the race or class, not the combination.  But a lot of those viable combinations are not what charop is normally coming up with because most of the time we don't look closely at non-primary stat combinations.
I almost didn't mention the halfling cleric thing above because of what people mentioned.  Since 99% of the time you shouldn't be ending up with a starting 16/16/16.

One thing I like about 4E is that you can make a viable combination of almost any race and class.  If its not viable its usually something inherently wrong with the race or class, not the combination.  But a lot of those viable combinations are not what charop is normally coming up with because most of the time we don't look closely at non-primary stat combinations.

To that, my true story submission:

...if your rogue is a (living) half-elf Brutal Scoundrel, who tanks both Str and Dex and, rather than using his powers, insists on making melee basic attacks... with a greatsword. 
I played in a Dark Sun preview game at PAX East where the Barbarian spent the first three rounds of combat making untrained heal checks on the Shaman that got dropped in the opening round. 
You spend a Daily attack power only to find out that you just wasted it on a minion. (True Story)
You spend a Daily attack power only to find out that you just wasted it on a minion. (True Story)

Our paladin did this just last week! Tongue Out

I'd chalk that up to bad luck/mean DM, not playing the game wrong. Can happen to everyone.
Now, if you use the Daily and can't hit the minion with it...
Sign In to post comments