Encounter healing

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking for any encounter-based healing that is reasonably easy to add via either item or feat. Melee-touch only in particular is potentially extremely useful for my character(Dreamwalker)

The basic issue is that I'd like my LFR character to be able to either:
Heal more than a surge
Have some consistent surgeless healing option(theme is locked into Elemental Initiate and Knight Hospitaler is not the right kind of consistent)

At the moment, there are plenty of 2 feat options, but I'd like to cut it down to 1 or have some item option.

Any ideas? Yes, this is for a controller, but I've been in enough parties where I'm the only person who has any healing in combat.

Thanks!
What level and do you have a multiclass yet?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
What level and do you have a multiclass yet?

Here's the build - the Symbol of Turning+the illegal 2nd Cleric MC represent that she has a +3 Orb of Light, a non-scaling artifact in regular D&D, but an auto-scaling relic in LFR. But human, 12th level, MC'd into Shaman, and picked up Mending Spirit.

The major problem is that I'm very feat constrained and the two feats spent to get Mending Spirit are expensive. Race, Paragon Path, Theme, Stats, and Classes are locked(either by choice or by LFR rules), but almost anything else can change.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Aya Lunaari, level 12
Human, Psion/Avenger, Dreamwalker
Discipline Focus (Hybrid) Option: Telekinesis Focus (Hybrid)
Hybrid Avenger Option: Hybrid Avenger Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Armor of Faith
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Encounter Power
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Child of Fate (+2 to Insight)
Theme: Elemental Initiate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 13, DEX 11, INT 21, WIS 19, CHA 13

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 12

AC: 27 Fort: 22 Ref: 28 Will: 27
HP: 81 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Dungeoneering +15, Nature +15, Perception +15, Religion +16, Stealth +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Athletics +5, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Endurance +7, Heal +10, History +11, Insight +12, Intimidate +7, Streetwise +7, Thievery +6

POWERS
Cleric Feature: Turn Undead
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elemental Initiate Attack: Disciplined Counter
Psion Feature: Far Hand
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Spirit's Wrath
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Shaman Feature: Healing Spirit
Dreamwalker Feature: Manifest Dream Form
Avenger Attack 1: Bond of Retribution
Avenger Attack 1: Raging Tempest
Avenger Attack 1: Bond of Censure
Psion Attack 1: Dimensional Scramble
Avenger Attack 1: Thunder and Echo
Psion Utility 2: Mind Shroud
Psion Attack 5: Force Spheres
Avenger Utility 6: Aspect of Agility
Psion Attack 7: Kinetic Buffer
Psion Attack 9: Mind Blast
Psion Utility 10: Mind over Flesh
Dreamwalker Attack 11: Dream Blade
Dreamwalker Utility 12: Dream Stride

FEATS
Level 1: Mighty Crusader Expertise
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate symbol)
Level 4: Silvery Glow
Level 6: Spirit Talker
Level 8: Battlewise
Level 10: Mending Spirit
Level 11: Improved Defenses
Level 12: Divine Channeler (Cleric)(this feat is not really here)
Level 12: Painful Oath

ITEMS
Raven Cloak +2 x1
Accurate staff of Ruin +2
Cloth Armor of Sudden Recovery +2 x1
Feystep Lacings x1
Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier)
Boots of Stealth (heroic tier)
Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier)
Jagged Falchion +3 x1
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Pure Spirit Totem +1
Defensive Accurate staff +1
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Everburning Torch
Accurate symbol of Turning +3 x1
====== End ======
I assume it's for healing allies? Have you checked skill powers yet?
If you change one of your skills to heal, I know there is an encounter minor action ally uses second wind as free action that is a heal skill power. I can't think of any surgeless healing options that are encounter.

Dan
Aha, took some searching but I found a healing power.

It requires wis to make the attack so I might suggest being 20/20 rather than 21/19, as this is lfr.

Spring Renewal Strike (shaman e3):  Hit: 2d8 + Wisdom modifier damage, and one ally adjacent to your spirit companion can spend a healing surge.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Physician's Care is a L6U Melee 1 heal a surge Heal Skill Power, but you don't have that trained ATM. Only gives a surge with no bonuses.

Your theme gives you access to Restoring Touch at 6, adds a d6, and lets you remove a poison, dazing, or stunning effect on the creature healed. It's actually a pretty awesome power.

Those are probably your two easiest choices, but either takes up something you don't want to lose.
I think Dungeon Survival Handbook has a Heal Skill Utility at level 2 that fits the bill.  Minor Action, Melee 1 range, Encounter use.  I gotta grab my book and check again.

If its there, its just either a feat away for an extra Skill Utility power or swapping a Utility power.
That would still require a second feat, so I don't think it is what MwaO is after.

Best bet is get the heal skill and then one of the heal utilities. There are several that allows someone to either freebie second wind or spend a surge.
I assume it's for healing allies? Have you checked skill powers yet?

Yes, Swift Recovery is interesting, but it has the problem of using up a combat resource. If I'm the leader and we're having a dying problem, I don't significantly increase the odds of us not dying.

Melee touch and close burst are very interesting options btw as I can make the power appear where my dream form is rather than I actually needing to be there. I've kind of considered Word of Vigor as a power swap for that reason. 
Physician's Care is a L6U Melee 1 heal a surge Heal Skill Power, but you don't have that trained ATM. Only gives a surge with no bonuses.

Your theme gives you access to Restoring Touch at 6, adds a d6, and lets you remove a poison, dazing, or stunning effect on the creature healed. It's actually a pretty awesome power.

Those are probably your two easiest choices, but either takes up something you don't want to lose.

Right - Restoring Touch is another one - though if no one is dazed/poisoned/stunned, yet someone is dying, then I, the controller, am using up a standard action.
If you were an elf and made it to 16, you could pick up Communion.

But like other people are saying take a look at the heal, endurance, and religion skill utilities.

Of note:
Iron Resurgence
Deliverance of Faith
Assurance of Prophecy
Reactive Surge

Sadly, Deliverance of Faith and Reactive Surge are self-only, but Iron Resurgence is pretty amazing (even if it's opportunity cost is expensive).  Assurance of Prophecy requires someone else to initiate the heal, but allows you to boost it with THP on top. 

Right - Restoring Touch is another one - though if no one is dazed/poisoned/stunned, yet someone is dying, then I, the controller, am using up a standard action.

Grr. Missed that it was a standard action. How annoying is that? If you are a Tiefling, this would be so much easier (and wouldn't make any sense at all for your build, of course).

I'm not sold on Iron Resurgence. The target loses 1 healing surge to spend one or two. So if he's really down, he's spending three surges to get two surges worth of HP and half a surge worth of temps. When no other option is available, that is pretty good, but I could never see anyone willing to use it unless they needed the target to heal up two surges (near unconscious). Of course, that isn't at all uncommon. It is an interesting power and easy to pick up.
You could change themes to knight hospitaliter.

Granted 4 HP isn't a huge amount, but using it after someone drops below 1 and they basicly avoid any damage by dropping prone.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Warlord 2 melée one (name escapes me)
revalising incanation (bard 6)
Anstruth Harp looks like a nice healing option that anyone can take. Level 23 and can only be used during a short rest, but can provide some massive surge efficiency if you use it on someone who came out of an encounter with most of their hit points depleted.

Of course, it's best in the hands of a bard.
Knight Hospitaler - I just really dislike the way the fluff inserts itself into the mechanics of the 5th level slot. And Elemental Initiate really fits the character - if I had to say who her spiritual counterpart is, it would be Lin Beifang from Legend of Korra. i.e. super-competent, tough as nails, no nonsense personality, leads by example.

Grr. Missed that it was a standard action. How annoying is that? If you are a Tiefling, this would be so much easier (and wouldn't make any sense at all for your build, of course).

I'm not sold on Iron Resurgence. The target loses 1 healing surge to spend one or two. So if he's really down, he's spending three surges to get two surges worth of HP and half a surge worth of temps. When no other option is available, that is pretty good, but I could never see anyone willing to use it unless they needed the target to heal up two surges (near unconscious). Of course, that isn't at all uncommon. It is an interesting power and easy to pick up.

Yes, if Restoring Touch were a minor action, I'd be done. It really is the weird universe where a touch, minor action, heal a surge + a little + something cool shouldn't be too unbalanced in any game, yet there's nothing that quite does it at the cost of a utility or feat. At least apparently. 
Healer's Gift is another skill utility, level 2 melee touch, of course it has the aforementioned dying problem.
I think the skill power for Physician's Care is going to be your only option for an encounter heal. I'm running into similar problems with a build plan for a wizard/bard. I really want to have Mantle of Unity at 10, and I'm already thinking to Skill Power for Stall Tactics Epiphany amd I was going to use Secrets of Belial but then realized I can't because I can't swap PP path powers.

I'm still somewhat annoyed about Master of Stores being 1/d instead of 1/e, but I understand why they did it.
I think the skill power for Physician's Care is going to be your only option for an encounter heal.

That's a standard action...in that scenario, the level 6 option from Elemental Initiate is strictly better.

I think Swift Recovery(uses 2nd wind, which is both good and bad) and Mending Spirit(use up MC and feat) seem to be the best options.

Fortunately, someone is done with college for the term and can play his leader. 
I think the skill power for Physician's Care is going to be your only option for an encounter heal.

That's a standard action...in that scenario, the level 6 option from Elemental Initiate is strictly better.

I think Swift Recovery(uses 2nd wind, which is both good and bad) and Mending Spirit(use up MC and feat) seem to be the best options.

I somehow missed that it was a standard, even after not realizing the other one was a standard. /facepalm

Well, if you do still need a minor action heal, then it's going to be a two-feat process, then. While I think that's lame, I can kind of understand it. No, no I can't.
Healer's Gift is another skill utility, level 2 melee touch, of course it has the aforementioned dying problem.

That too is a standard

I somehow missed that it was a standard, even after not realizing the other one was a standard. /facepalm

Well, if you do still need a minor action heal, then it's going to be a two-feat process, then. While I think that's lame, I can kind of understand it. No, no I can't.

Half the reason I made the thread was that I was wondering if I was just missing something. Swift Recovery isn't too bad - minor action second wind on an ally.
I'm having the same problem with my healadin in a party with no leader; there aren't a ton of reasonable healing options out there.  

As is stands my healing suite is four conditional encounter powers (In Life Death, Revitalizing Incantation, Benediction, Virtue for me) and four dailies (3 uses of Lay of Hands, Majestic Word).

My least favorite power is Revitalizing Incantation; I hate taking AOO's.

On one hand I feel weird complaining about not having leader quality healing when I am not ... ya know ... a leader.  On the other hand, one of the last two rules of three hinted that they might be addressing this in 5E. 
I'm having the same problem with my healadin in a party with no leader; there aren't a ton of reasonable healing options out there.  

As is stands my healing suite is four conditional encounter powers (In Life Death, Revitalizing Incantation, Benediction, Virtue for me) and four dailies (3 uses of Lay of Hands, Majestic Word).

On one hand I feel weird complaining about not having leader quality healing when I am not ... ya know ... a leader.  On the other hand, one of the last two rules of three hinted that they might be addressing this in 5E. 

While taking that OA on Revitalizing Incantation is rough, it's such a good power. You could go Warlord instead for Rousing Words at 6, it's a burst power, you or ally spend two surges. My Tiefling Paladin will likely pick up both of them (one through Secrets of Belial, cheaty cheaty Tieflings). I think this is a ways away for both of us, but a level 16 Paladins get another Utility heal, you pull an ally 5 and then they spend a surge as a move action. Kind of cool.

While taking that OA on Revitalizing Incantation is rough, it's such a good power. You could go Warlord instead for Rousing Words at 6, it's a burst power, you or ally spend two surges. My Tiefling Paladin will likely pick up both of them (one through Secrets of Belial, cheaty cheaty Tieflings). I think this is a ways away for both of us, but a level 16 Paladins get another Utility heal, you pull an ally 5 and then they spend a surge as a move action. Kind of cool.

Wow, I totally forgot about Rousing Words!  My paladin is also a tiefling!  Cheating ... better than not cheating!  

What utility were you going to give up?  The ones we have left are so good (Virtue at 2nd, Benediction at 10th).  I was thinking of taking Secrets of Belial into something awesome and jarring for a paladin to have like Shield (Wizard Utility 2); that may actually be better than Virtue (maybe not with Virtuous Recovery)

Wow, I totally forgot about Rousing Words!  My paladin is also a tiefling!  Cheating ... better than not cheating!  

What utility were you going to give up?  The ones we have left are so good (Virtue at 2nd, Benediction at 10th).  I was thinking of taking Secrets of Belial into something awesome and jarring for a paladin to have like Shield (Wizard Utility 2); that may actually be better than Virtue (maybe not with Virtuous Recovery)

I'll probably give up the L10U and Secrets for Revitilzing Incantation in place of Deliverance of Faith (the L6 virtue).

I have Call of Challenge at 2. I cannot believe you don't have Call of Challenge. At level two you can have three encounter burst marks (minor burst 5, minor burst 3, standard on a hit burst 3). Healing is good, but keeping enemies from hiting allies can sometimes be better. This depends a little bit on your DM's playstyle. Some will always obey marks, while some will judge whether it's worth it to disobey marks. I really enjoy starting a combat and having almost everything marked (Wrath of the Crimson Legion, also gives you Cha-MBA). I understand you are focused on healing, it's definitely a build that can work. One thing that's great about D&D is people playing the same race and class but having vastly different builds.
I don't have any suggestions for your particular build, but there are options out there for others.

Blessing of corellon is good for an elf mc cleric.  Takes two feats, but your elven reroll lets an ally spend a surge as a free action.  halflings have a similar one with blessing of avandra, khalashtar have clarity of spirit, and shardminds have healing fragmants.

There are a few channel divinity options, which opens healing up for invokers, paladins, and avengers.

There are a good number of feats that let you spend a surge on yourself in common circustances like divine scoundrel, rejuvinating shardwarm, baalzebub's desperate gambit, unfailing courage, and glorious victory. 
Sign In to post comments