W/G Human Token Overrun

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my first attempt to make a standard deck, and it seems to work pretty well! Laughing 

W/G Human Spirit Token Deck (61):

Creatures(8)
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Birds of Paradise 

Sorceries(19)
4 Increasing Devotion 
3 Lingering Souls 
4 Gather the Townsfolk 
4 Overrun  
4 Rampant Growth 

Enchantments(10)
4 Parallel Lives
4 Honor of the Pure 
2 Intangible Virtue 

Lands(24)
4 Sunpetal Grove
10 Forest
10 Plains

The goal is to as quickly as possible get a couple tokens out and overrun. I have plenty of mana ramp, such as Rampant Growth and Birds of Paradise, so the high mana cost of cards like Overrun and Increasing Devotion have never been a problem for me. I win on turn 4 or 5 about 50% of the time, while ultimately winning about 80-90% of the time. 

Any suggestions/variations that might work well with this build? How does it look? What do you think?

Thanks! 
Man this is brutal.  I was trying to do a White Blue deck somewhat like this one.  But the mana from the green you have in here makes it so much more effective.  I like it.  I dont really have any suggestions, just wanted to give you my feedback haha.

I was gonna use Runic Repetition and Snapcaster Mage to abuse Increasing Devotion, but your Green makes it happen faster and gives the tokens the power they need to do some real damage, and the mana cards makes it happen so much faster than what I had planned.  Gonna retool my deck with Green instead of Blue, I think.
With this build you still could add a Runic Repitition, because of the Birds of Paradise.

Thanks! It does get pretty silly when I have 3 Parallel Lives out and a Champion of the Parish and I flashback Increasing Devotion to get 80 human tokens and 80 counters on champion. Haha
You want to watch out for Ratchet Bomb as it pretty much ruins your game plan because they will just play it and sac it for 0 destroying all of your tokens.

I know the birds produce mana of any color, however they are very easily removed. What you want is a more solid way of producing the black mana needed to flashback lingering souls (land). OR you could go for Midnight Haunting. While it does not have Flashback, it is instant speed.

Since your GW you are able to use Gavony Township to buff your tokens. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
So do you have any suggestions for ways in which to protect from Ratchet Bomb?

Thanks for the suggestion of the Gavony Township! I'll definitely keep an eye out for that card!
I have Stony Silence in the SB of my B/W tokens deck to protect against Ratchet Bomb
EDH Decks Omnath Rubinia Flicker Rhys Tokens Thromok Mono-White Rebel Skullbriar +1/+1 token
So having multiples of Parallel Lives doesn't make it stack does it?  If I have two of em out and I cast Increasing Devotion for 5 tokens, it still just brings out 10 instead right?  Or would it bring out 20?
yeah it stacks homie. if you click the card and go to the bottom of the gatherer page it has all the rulings for the card you're looking at.
oh and i dig this deck a lot too! i wana build it to be real
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to enter this deck in a tournament soon, with a few modification. I'm going to see how it plays when I remove 2 Intangible Virtue, 1 Plains and 1 Forest to add in 4 Hero of Bladehold. What do you guys think?
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to enter this deck in a tournament soon, with a few modification. I'm going to see how it plays when I remove 2 Intangible Virtue, 1 Plains and 1 Forest to add in 4 Hero of Bladehold. What do you guys think?

Hero is a great addition. I would actually keep the two Intangible Virtue because the vigilance will be very beneficial to you and allow you to beat down the opponent without tapping out. What i would remove instead is 1 Parallel lives and 1 Overrun. These two are costly but other than that you wont really need more than two Parallel Lives to get ahead( unless one is somehow destroyed). Overrun is just too expensive so you dont want to be drawing it early game as it will be a dead card in your hand for a while.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
I entered this deck in a tournament today. I won the first two rounds. But on the third, ran into a problem. The person I was playing had a white red. It was centered around Ratchet Bomb and Day of Judgement. He also ran a few Sun Titans, which would bring back Ratchet Bomb every time it attacked. I had 3 Stony Silence in my sideboard and switched then in for the 2nd and 3rd game.

What other cards would be a good counter to a build like this? Would Silence work well?
Correction: Silence is not currently standard. Anything like it that might help me?
Grand Abolisher is the only card I can think of but it's a creature not an instant

live on

can't think of any silence type spell's at the moment but maybe phyrexian revoker
or nevermore for the sb?
I am White/Green
Grand Abolisher only protects me on my turn, while my opponent could, and would not hesitate to, use Ratchet Bomb or Day of Judgment. Phyrexian Revoker looks fun, could be used in place of stony silence, but stony silence will sop the abilities of any and all artifacts. But that nevermore, not that looks like it would be useful in this situation. I've seen it before but I completely for got about it! I'll definitely need 4 of those for my sideboard. 

Thanks for the suggestion!
Current build:

Creatures(11)
3 Hero of Bladehold
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Birds of Paradise 

Sorceries(18)
4 Increasing Devotion 
3 Lingering Souls 
4 Gather the Townsfolk 
4 Overrun  
3 Rampant Growth 

Enchantments(10)
4 Parallel Lives
4 Honor of the Pure 
2 Intangible Virtue 

Lands(22)
4 Sunpetal Grove
9 Forest
9 Plains 

Sideboard(15):
4 Stony Silence
4 Nevermore
1 Rampant Growth
2 Thraben Doomsayer
2 Intangible Virtue
2 Requiem Angel

I feel that Thraben DoomsayerIntangible Virtue, and Requiem Angel are more filler that anything else. Any sideboard suggestions?
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I feel that Thraben DoomsayerIntangible Virtue, and Requiem Angel are more filler that anything else. Any sideboard suggestions?

beast within flexible removal or a beast or two for you with parallel lives.
fresh meat to punish control decks for playing sweepers (might hurt your tempo though).
divine deflection a card i am finding better and better everytime i cast it.
surgical extraction screws over so many decks right now
Current build:

Creatures(11)
3 Hero of Bladehold
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Birds of Paradise 

Sorceries(18)
4 Increasing Devotion 
3 Lingering Souls 
4 Gather the Townsfolk 
4 Overrun  
3 Rampant Growth 

Enchantments(10)
4 Parallel Lives
4 Honor of the Pure 
2 Intangible Virtue 

Lands(22)
4 Sunpetal Grove
9 Forest
9 Plains 

Sideboard(15):
4 Stony Silence
4 Nevermore
1 Rampant Growth
2 Thraben Doomsayer
2 Intangible Virtue
2 Requiem Angel

I feel that Thraben DoomsayerIntangible Virtue, and Requiem Angel are more filler that anything else. Any sideboard suggestions?

Either add some swamp basic lands or dual lands that give swamp, mainly Woodland Cemetery and Isolated Chapel or some 2012 dual lands. Besides Birds of Paradise I see no way for you to flashback Lingering Souls and the cheaper flashback is one reason it is such a valuable card.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I feel that Thraben DoomsayerIntangible Virtue, and Requiem Angel are more filler that anything else. Any sideboard suggestions?

fresh meat to punish control decks for playing sweepers (might hurt your tempo though).

So. I think that beast within would be a great addition to my sideboard. 

The problem with fresh meat is that is says all creatures put into the graveyard. I have a token deck, and when tokens die they don't go into the graveyard, they just die. 

I can definitely see the use of divine deflection. With my mana ramps I often times have extra mana. I may try to put it in somewhere and see how it works!

Now, surgical extraction. An interesting card, could be quite useful in a pinch. But the problem with it is that it would only be a sideboard card for me. And if it was a sideboard card, then by the second game I would much rather switch in nevermore so they could not even use that card once, which would fatally interrupt my gameplay.  

So. I think that beast within would be a great addition to my sideboard. 

The problem with fresh meat is that is says all creatures put into the graveyard. I have a token deck, and when tokens die they don't go into the graveyard, they just die. 

I can definitely see the use of divine deflection. With my mana ramps I often times have extra mana. I may try to put it in somewhere and see how it works!

Now, surgical extraction. An interesting card, could be quite useful in a pinch. But the problem with it is that it would only be a sideboard card for me. And if it was a sideboard card, then by the second game I would much rather switch in nevermore so they could not even use that card once, which would fatally interrupt my gameplay.  

I looked at some rulings for Fresh Meat and the overall majority concept is that tokens DO hit the graveyard but then cease to exist. Because they hit the graveyard before going "bye-bye," tokens should still be able to trigger Fresh Meat
Abundant Growth? I like it cause its as cheep as a birds plus draw a card. helps out with low amount of duel lands and different colored flashbacks. 

I like the deck idea alot. I have a B/W token deck Im getting bored of and this might be a good switch.

also with surgical extraction yeah the card gets played but it gets rid of the threat right after that. while Nevermore can stop it right away there is also the risk of them getting rid of it as well. I guess you can keep both in the sideboard and see how the game goes if they go after your other Enchantments you know which on to add in
Sign In to post comments