Recurring Monsters?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i am writing up my first campaign today and I have it so the PC's are in a old abandoned sewer system in one of the major towns. So I thought to myself, "What could make this more of an important goal to get to the boss instead of recovering a buch of the villagers stolen stuff. So I thought of monsters that would be fought over to build up suspence to the final battle.

How would I go about doing that? 
I think it would probably work well, so long as you provide the monsters with a lot of character.

There are precedents in TV series - for example, Doctor Who's Daleks have endured as extremely popular recurring monsters since the 1960's!

I suppose that what would make a recurring monster work well would be many of the same things that would make any other good recurring villain work out: a good motive, a little depth, tragic flaws that drive them to acts of villainy in spite of themselves, even a little humanity - just enough to drive home the fact that the only real difference between the heroes and the villains is that the heroes are willing to try just a little harder to make the typically difficult choice of doing the right thing:  the recurring monsters might serve as slightly darker reflections of the PCs.

[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
I thought up of the monster. It is going to be a were-rat named moden. He was in the service of the master criminal, holek (the main villian) until he got greedy. He is leading an expidition to kill his former master to take complete control of the criminal underworld. So I think that he would be a great add-on to the story because the adventures will have to compete with the were-rats or risk failing the king. 
Let the players hear the name a couple times over the first 2 or three adventures before they first run into him. Better yet, have their NPC ally/supporter/sidekick/page/erand boy/whatever accidentally provide information on the party to the agents of Moden after the party foils the first of his plots. Maybe they'll even meet Moden while he is undercover as a beggar, testing them out. Have a group of ambushers strike in the middle of the street, and one lone beggar watching, crying for alms. Another is acting as a bookie, taking bets from the bystanders who haven't fled the scene and are in to a little blood sport.
Once the players start to really hate him, then Moden can spring this trap. Then let them go after Moden in his lair. And of course, during the fight, let Moden monologue. Have a couple of notes for choice tidbits he can spray out revealing his actions to the party, how and when he outsmarted them, etc.

You know, a basic class in corny comic book villainy. Or watch THE Incredibles again.