What is a powergamer to do...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I really don't get it. I have run into a number of situations where I would be thrown out of a group simply cause the DM didn't like my playstyle, or gives no reason at all. Honestly, Alignment, and characters, are not set in stone. I can easily just pick another character to use. I also try to avoid excessive rules lawyering. Something basic and inherant I often point out (-2 to attack while prone, saving throw to avoid damaging terrain), but something complex I wait till end of session.

What can I do in this situation? 
RPGtable username : RTiger
I don't understand the situation. You'll need to be more specific. You get kicked out of groups because of your playstyle? I'm not entirely certain what your style is.
One-half of the tabletop gaming news podcast Going Last Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.
I am not entirely sure of the issue either. I am never given any real details.
RPGtable username : RTiger
Well, if you don't know why you're being kicked out it could mean one or both of these two things:

1.  The DMs are being jerks.

2.  You're being a jerk.

If someone wasn't being annoying or a jerk, no one would get kicked out.  Kicking someone out of a group is a pretty harsh measure because most problems in a game can be solved without kicking anyone out of the group.  Sure, people will sometimes leave the group voluntarily, but most people don't usually get kicked out.

Either way, when there's a problem, the first step is to define the problem.  So if this happens again, ask the DM what the problem is in a calm, polite manner and try to get a straight answer.  Then you can move on from there.  Sometimes the solution WILL be just to leave the group.  Sometimes the problem can be fixed and you can continue to play in that group.

You mentioned in the thread title that you're a powergamer.  Do you think that perhaps your powergamer style of play doesn't fit well with the DMs or the other players you play with?  If so, maybe you need to look harder for a group that can appreciate the way you like to play.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

3) The DM needed room for someone else.

But really, from what very little i can gather, you just overshadowed everyone else. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I am not entirely sure of the issue either. I am never given any real details.

Until you are given an honest critique of your shortcomings (whether real or imagined), we really can't say much.  It's impossible to give an analysis of the situation without more information ... preferably from both sides, since only hearing your side of the story would not be unbiased information.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
3) The DM needed room for someone else. 

Which is the same thing as #1.  Kicking someone out just to make room for someone else is jerkitude.  If I were a DM and I really, really wanted to make room for someone else in the group, I would ask someone to leave voluntarily and if no one wanted to I guess there's no room for someone else.  And then I'd still feel like a jerk.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Well, if you don't know why you're being kicked out it could mean one or both of these two things:

1.  The DMs are being jerks.

2.  You're being a jerk.

Agreed; and if it's happened multiple times with different DMs, then the probability that it's #2 is fairly high.  The good news is that the fact that you've come here for advice suggests that you're open to changing the way you approach playing the game.  I'm sure that you're not intending to be a jerk either; the vast majority of players that come across as jerks are nice people that are oblivious to the negative impact they are having on their group.

Best advice that I can give you is to have a go at being the DM; pretty sure you'll be a much better player after you've run a dozen sessions or so on the other side of the screen.  Plus you won't have to worry about getting kicked out by the DM for that campaign at least ;)

Sincere apologies if in fact the reason is #1 - as a few other posters have pointed out, we don't have a lot to work with here. 
The other posters have covered about all that can be said without any kind of details or examples of what happened prior to being kicked out of any group.  That being said, there are two things that stick out at me that could have prompted you getting kicked out.  First is that your thread labels you as a powergamer.  There are a pretty large number of people out there, DMs included, that don't like powergamers.  You said that you would be open to switching characters, but it's been my experience that regardless of what character a powergamer brings to the character, they'll still overshadow the rest of the group simply by the fact that they're made and played by a powergamer.  I'm not going to say whether this is good or bad, nor am I going to turn this into a thread debating powergaming.  Each gaming group has their own opinions, and if you're the new guy to a group, it would make sense that they thought of you as being on a trial basis and just decided they didn't want a powergamer in their game.
The second thing that you brought up, which is also in a sticky area that I'm not trying to bring up an argument about, is that you said you try not to rules lawyer too much.  This implies that you do some rules lawyering, and I can sympathize with you there since it's really hard to fight the urge when you see a rule misinterpreted or missed altogether.  With that being said, there are a lot of DMs out there who hat rules lawyers with a passion, regardless of how much or how little they do it.  There are many reasons for this that I won't get to here, but that may be another reason why they decided to remove the new player.
Without any kind of specifics, I would say that you just need to find a group that doesn't mind powergamers or minor ruleslawyering.
I think you need to take a serious look at your own behavior.  From your post it seems that this has happened more than once.  You label yourself a power gamer.  You admit to rules lawyering.  You have answered your own question in you say its "about playstyle".  There is something that you are doing that caused people to not want to game with you.  Once is a bad GM or a serious mismatch to style of game.  Being thrown out of multiple games?  Its something you are doing.  You need to get honest with yourself and figure out what.
Question

How many games have you ran as a DM?  
I second what Grimli's subtext is suggesting. Try DMing for a season or two and see how that feels.

My thoughts are that there are parties that just don't like a high level of char-op (DMs especially) and theres the tension in the game and the players between D&D as a story telling tool and D&D as a tactical game. Both exist within D&D but different groups can value different things.

My thoughts are there is nothing wrong with rules laywering or rules mastery if as you say, you don't drag a half hour long rules discussion into the middle of combat. Punishing a player for maximizing his abilities within the system is a flawed approach to gaming.
Question:How many games have you ran as a DM?  

I second what Grimli's subtext is suggesting. Try DMing for a season or two and see how that feels.

Thirded. Knowing how people sit on both sides of the screen is invaluble. In my group, we've taken to celebrating birthdays by letting the Birthday Person DM. This does 3 things:
1.) It lets me off the hook of DMing for a week
2.) It lets someone else experience what its like sitting behind the screen
3.) It lets me refresh my perception of what its like to look at the person behind the screen.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Defenders: We ARE the wall!

I've replaced the previous Edition Warring line in my sig with this one, because honestly, everybody needs to work together to make the D&D they like without trampling on somebody else's D&D.

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.