5e PHB1 Goals

So I apologize in advance if this has already been asked, but my forum search-fu is rather lacking.  I was going through the chat log from some of the old semiars and I one quote really caught my attention.  In the Class Design Chat Archieve at 12:47 we have this:

Monte: To start with we kind of shot at the moon, and said everything that's been in a Player's handbook 1, we want to potentially have in our new player's book. That
includes things like the warlock and the warlord from 4th edition, but also includes the classes from other editions like the ranger, the wizard, the cleric.

If I'm reading that correctly, they want to have every class that was in any editions PHB1 to be in the 5e PHB? While I feel like that would be awesome, and less people would feel left out, I just am not sure if that is feasible for one PHB.  How many classes do you think would be reasonable for a first PHB?  Which classes should be included?
I don't think having all the classes would take up too much room if they presented it in the right way.  Group them together by archtype and give us the basic information for each class.  Now if we're talking a full page spread with art for each class, that would be too much.

PC races are what I feel needs to be reigned in more than class options.  All but the most basic should be taken out and moved to rules supliments.  It's not that I dislike exotic races; I just feel that they aren't right for every game so shouldn't be included in the PHB.
What kind of archetype groupings do you mean?  Something like power source?  Or more like warriors vs. magic users?

I think the full page spread with artwork for each class is what I would be looking for in a hardcover book that I'm going to buy.
What kind of archetype groupings do you mean?  Something like power source?  Or more like warriors vs. magic users?

I think the full page spread with artwork for each class is what I would be looking for in a hardcover book that I'm going to buy.

The archetypes are Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, and Wizard.  Every D&D class fits in to one of those categories with some variation.  As an example; Paladins, Warlords, Rangers, Barbarians, ect are all "Fighters" with some class variations.  The same is true for Mages, Warlocks, Sorcerors, ect.

They'll most likely have to include all the classes from the PHB from 3.5 + the Warlock. Personally, I don't think the warlord needs to be in there and could wait for a module. But even if they exclude some of the classes other than the iconic four (fighter, wizard, rogue and cleric), I'd be fine with it. I wouldn't like it, but I would be okay withit.

I'd say it's way more important to include all the races. So that means including Gnomes, Half-orc and maybe also Tiefling and Dragonborn. Even if many old school people don't like those, I think they can't exclude them without alianating part of the 4e crowd.

Final list (15):

Assassin, Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Illusionist, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue (Thief), Sorcerer, Warlock, Warlord, Wizard (Magic User).

IIRC, they confirmed Psion too.  So, 16 classes? Possibly Heroes of the Fallen Lands count too. So plus Knight, Slayer, Mage?

Just out of curiosity, wanted to see how these classes might organize:

Martial
• Fighter (Slayer)
• Rogue (Thief)
• Assassin
• Ranger (Hunter, Scout)
• Archer (Ranger)
• Brawler (Martial Monk)
• Warlord

Divine
• Cleric (Warpriest)
• Mystic (Priest)
• Paladin (Knight)

Arcane
• Wizard (Vancian)
• Mage (Powers)
• Warlock (Powers)
• Sorcerer (Spellpoints)

Primal (Elemental)
• Druid
• Barbarian
• ? (Primal Ranger)

Mind (Psionic, Enchantment, Illusion, Telepathy) (Telekinesis, Force, Radiant)
• Psion
• Bard
• Illusionist
• Monk (Mystic Monk)

Heh, Im thinking the classes wont be as straighforward as I thought they would at first glance.

It isnt just the classes themselves, but the many iterations of each of them that might come into play.             

Well, we have to keep in mind that classes will likely take up less space than they did in 4e. Likely, each class will take up no more than 1-3 pages (that's with fluff and some images). Spell lists and suchs will of course take up more space, but don't have to be class specific (just like sorcerers and wizards share much of the same spells). 

I find it hard to believe they would add Psion too (although I would love it, personally).