BU/g control deck

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all just wanted to post up my decklist for BU/g control, I tried my hardest to make this a midrange deck but I don't think it is, the idea is to control our opponents threats through our removal spells and gain control over the course of the game.

BU/g control

Lands (26)

4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Woodland Cemetery
2 Shimmering Grotto
1 Stensia Bloodhall
1 Forest
8 Swamp
6 Island

Creatures (11)

4 Bloodgift Demon
4 Borderland Ranger
3 Lone Revenant

Spells (23)

4 Think Twice
3 Dissipate
4 Dead Weight
3 Barter in Blood
4 Forbidden Alchemy
2 Sever the Bloodline
3 Garruk Relentless

Sideboard

4 Tree of Redemption
1 Dissipate
1 Barter in Blood
2 Sever the Bloodline
3 Natural End
2 Witchbane Orb
2 Curse of Death's Hold
The Stensia Bloodhall, while a good card in and against control decks seems out of place here. Your only hope of activating it is off of the Shimmering Grottos, which means that you'll need to use 7 mana for it. Since your playing several CC spells as well, it's also going to take a toll on your mana a bit. Once removing that I'd probably exchange the Shimmering Grottos for Evolving Wilds so that you can get your spells down a turn earlier than when using the grottos and so that you can draw fewer lands in the later game.

You might also want to consider Devastation Tide. Since you're unlikely to have a lot of non-land permanents in play, it works as a nice tempo/pseudo removal card. Your deck also doesn't really have an answer to resolved planeswalkers. The Stensia Bloodhall is ok for that, but even if you kept it in, it's a bit slow. With the grottos it's way too slow. A turn 4 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad is pretty much game over for you, especially if they have any kind of removal for your Bloodgift Demon.

I'd be interested to hear how the deck plays. My comments above are just my best guess, so with testing maybe they'll be proven wrong.
I can see your point concerning Planeswalkers, and am thinking of playing Bramblecrush in the sideboard instead of Natural End, I also like the idea of Devastation Tide but am at a loss as what to take out for a "pusedo-removal" spell.