Torpor Orb vs. Undying Question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quick rules question regarding Torpor Orb and Geralf's Messenger, Treacherous Pit-Dweller, and Demonlord of Ashmouth.

If I control a Torpor Orb and my Geralf's Messenger, Treacherous Pit-Dweller, and Demonlord of Ashmouth all die without +1/+1 counters on them am I correct with the following resolution?

I believe all three would return to the battlefield under my control I would not have to sacrifice a creature from Demonlord of Ashmouth's ability, the Treacherous Pit-Dweller would not return under my opponent's control, and Geralf's Messenger would return tapped, and my opponent would not lose 2 life.

The only other question I have is after all of these creatures die and return, do they all receive the +1/+1 counters or do they not receive the counters because the Undying ability starts with the word when?

In the rules, triggered abilities refer to the wording as starting with "When"; but in this case I'm wondering if the counters go on because of replacement effects in this case.  It is tought because both situations are happening.

Please reply answering each creatures abilities individualy if possible.  Thanks for your tiem and help.

Sincerely,
Ken          
They will return with +1/+1 counters. Torpor Orb eliminates triggered abilities that would otherwise go off when they enter, it doesn't change how they enter.

Everything else, is MOSTLY accurate... Pit-Dweller will return to the battlefield under your control, and THEN its triggered ability will go on the stack which would eventually give it to an opponent.

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

Undying will trigger and resolve for all three creatures. All three creatures will enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on them. Torpor Orb does not affect undying at all.

Geralf's Messenger will enter the battlefield tapped, but its ability will not trigger.

Treacherous Pit-Dweller will enter the battlefield, but its ability will not trigger, so you will get to keep it.

Demonlord of Ashmouth will enter the battlefield, but its ability will not trigger, so you will do nothing.
Uh oh.  Two different responses for Treacherous Pit-Dweller control, which one is correct? lol
Pirate and SeaDogs are saying the same thing. I think SeaDogs was fixing your phrasing, because in yoru opening post you said that Pit-Dweller would pop back directly under your opponent's control, rather than a triggered ability transferring it.
Uh oh.  Two different responses for Treacherous Pit-Dweller control, which one is correct? lol

PirateAmmo is correct.  The ability will not trigger and you keep the Pit Dweller.

Thanks to all for the clarification, I'm testing out a new deck idea for Gameday this weekend.  Maximizing my Topor Oeb to stop snapcaster and huntmaster and hel pmy guys out.  The messenger is not in my deck, taht was a question my friend has cause he is play zomies, so it's good against them too.  It's also good against human.  This deck has potential I think   Thanks agin!
Pirate and SeaDogs are saying the same thing. I think SeaDogs was fixing your phrasing, because in yoru opening post you said that Pit-Dweller would pop back directly under your opponent's control, rather than a triggered ability transferring it.

^yep

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

Sign In to post comments