List of character names in the Forgotten Realms novel Bury Elminster Deep by Ed Greenwood

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I created a wiki page on this site listing all the names of NPCs in Ed Greenwood's novel Bury Elminster Deep that I could find (through page 148--still reading and editing the list).

I also created a home page for Realms names with 754 names collected from Realms sources so far. If anyone wants to add to the list by researching other products, I strongly encourage you to do so.

Hope you find the list of some use for your D&D games. 
Great stuff, Mr_M. Thanks for posting these... and for keeping these boards alive.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
You're welcome Imrurphel!

Hey...what have you been up to lately? Don't think I've seen you around in awhile.
Good stuff. Is there any way that you can correct the spelling "engraged" to "enraged"? I tried, but found that I can't change the name of an article.
Oops!

I'll get to work on that right now. Thank you for seeing that, Keith.

EDIT: done with the list by the way.
You're welcome Imrurphel!

Hey...what have you been up to lately? Don't think I've seen you around in awhile.

Yes, it has been a while but I've got a new baby so most of my D&Ding takes place on my blog (which really exists for me as I don't have followers!). If you're interested it's at my-realms.blogspot.com. I just post ideas about campaign arcs and typically go back and edit them later when I have new ideas.  

And now it is time to play with my son....

Great work Kudos to Mr_Miscellany and thanks for sharing!
Yes, it has been a while but I've got a new baby so most of my D&Ding takes place on my blog (which really exists for me as I don't have followers!).  

Congratulations!

If you're interested it's at my-realms.blogspot.com. I just post ideas about campaign arcs and typically go back and edit them later when I have new ideas.   

I'll check it out.
erdana,Arial,Helvetica">erdana,Arial,Helvetica; font-size:small">Ed rarely has hard and fast "rules" for naming, just sounds that recur often, across the names of a particular Realmsian culture. Which is an element of his writing that I particularly enjoy.

I've yet to read Bury Elminster Deep, but I suspect that I'll again find much in Ed's naming conventions, that I can borrow for my own games.
I just created a page of names from Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms articles. There are about 200 names, from the 31 extant articles.

This list ought to come in handy for making up NPC or character names.

It just blows me away how Ed can create so many names without repeating himself. Totally awesome.
maybe he uses a name generator or has a list of midevil names....
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I just created a page of names from Ed Greenwood's Eye on the Realms articles. There are about 200 names, from the 31 extant articles. (snip)

(snip) It just blows me away how Ed can create so many names without repeating himself. Totally awesome.

I agree. And his names always seem --right--. I often wish that he had the right to veto character names for anyone writing for the Realms, whether for tabletop or novels.

maybe he uses a name generator or has a list of (medieval) names....

He explains his way of making up names over at Candlekeep, I just can't recall how to find the post.

Mr_M,

In case you're interested, I pulled a list of over 300 names out of three RPG products authored by Ed. They are Endless Stair, The Five Shires and The Halls of the High King.

my-realms.blogspot.com/2012/07/forgotten...

Feel free to add them to your blog if you so wish.

Cheers
You guys should read his non-realms fiction...

HAND OF KARSUS!

Very awesome list, Imruphel!  I'll see what I can do about adding it to the wiki.

Now if we can just get one person to do what you did for every Ed Greenwood novel, adventure or sourcebook, we can get pretty much all the fantasy names Ed's ever written and collect them in one place, in no time.
I've added 18 more names from Endless Stair that I missed on the first read through.

Would you believe that there are now 339 names from just three sources?

Castlemourn is next.

(By the way, I'm going for these lesser known/older sources because they are names that I believe can be used again without feeling that you've stolen the name of a well-used and well-known NPC.)
I'm just over halfway through Castlemourn and I'm at about 1,000 names. Amazing!
Castlemourn is a GREAT setting!

HAND OF KARSUS!

save the glow in the dark elves, yes it is.
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....

I really want to like it... but I just can't get into it (and not just because I'm very much a 4E man now). That said, it's a tremendous source of ideas - my list of names is just scratching the surface - particularly if you like the way Ed writes NPCs, cities and nations... which I most definitely do.

Imruphel I've posted some of the names you collected (for Halls of the High King).

Apologies for taking so long to get'er done.
Finally finished collecting names and bits of Realmslore from Elminster Must Die.

204 names total, all posted to the wiki page (linked at the top of this thread).

Have a look. Lots of juicy Cormyr names (and wider Realms names) to be had.
A handy list of names from Ed Greenwood's short story The Grinning Ghost of Taverton Hall (from the collection of stories Realms of Mystery) can now be found on the names wiki.

An entertaining story, that.

By chance does anyone know if that's the first story featuring Glarasteer Rhauligan?
Sign In to post comments