New DM seeking wilderness ideas

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi All

I am DMing for a group who are very wilderness orientated and the love encounters and adventures that are non dungeon based. But I am running out of ideas for maps, quests and adventures in the wilderness. Our group is Ranger and Druid heavy and they just love messing around in the wilds. 

If anyone has interesting ideas to help me out I would be grateful

Thanks
Magic forest.  They can basicly be dungeons.

A really big tree.  Also a dungeon (except up).

Protect the forest.  Say... kruthic's, dire badgers, fire breathing dragon, overly industrious gnomes, or something get out of hand and start destryoing the woods.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Ask your players the following questions and use what they give you:

What is the purpose of your adventuring group?
What do you as a group do in the context of the larger world?
What interesting things are going on in the region in which you find yourselves?
What's the most dangerous monster known to exist in the area?
Tell me about the last time you visited the nearest mountains, desert, ocean or forest.
What's the name of the wild space you fear the most?
What makes the immediate environs so treacherous for travellers?
Tell me something fantastic you can find in the Dark Forest.
What's the name of a faraway place that folks talk about, dream about or mutter under their breath about?
Who are your hated antagonists? Who is opposing your goals?

As they answer, ask follow-up questions to bring the picture more into focus. By the time you've spent a good 20-30 minutes on Q&A like this, you should have a ton of material to work with, most of which was player-generated (buy-in!), more fleshed out characters and group most likely, and a good feel for what's going on in the world or what might happen soon.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Thanks for the advice. I will raid the minds of my players
You're welcome. You can create your whole campaign world this way and every adventure in it. The fun part about that is you can get to see how things turn out rather than simply running characters through predetermined stories with minor variations based on their choices along the way.

Please let us know what they come up with. I'd be curious to see what sort of response you get.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

...Please let us know what they come up with. I'd be curious to see what sort of response you get.

Same here - sounds like a great idea, and I'd be interested in hearing soe of the responses.

And I'll also second what mellored said:  almost any adventure can be "reskinned" from a literal Dungeon Crawl.  Have a generic dungeon adventure involving a Goblin Necromancer sending skeletons and zombies after the PCs as they stomp from room to room in an underground tomb?  Reskin it into a wilderness adventure:  a evil fey necromancer protects a sacred fairy circle in the swamp by reanimating skeletons and zombies from an abandoned Elven Burial Ground, as PCs navigate from island to island in the dangerouns swamp.  Or, reskin it so that a mysterious carnivorous plant reanimates its victims as vine-wrapped plant-zombies as the PCs make their way from location to location in a lost city in the jungle.  (Or, there's the old stand-by:  as the PCs travel through the wilderness, they come across the entrance of the generic tomb adventure, with half-eaten corpse at the entrance with convenient adventurer bait a few gold coins grasped in its cold, dead hand...)

[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
The options are pretty broad for Wilderness adventures really, things I can think up initially are:-

Dealing with goblins and wargs who have moved into a section of the forest and are hunting and ravaging the area. This could lead to a short campaign of taking out the goblins lairs (classic dungeon crawl with goblins traps, pits, door traps). They are lead by a goblin chieftain.

A human warlord is cutting into the syvan realms, they have captured centuars and elves and are using them as slave labour to mine for iron, gold or similar (maybe use Avatar story with a blessed grove, tree etc where the humans are trying to control the sylvan). The human Warlords ultimate plans are to take on a neighbouring kingdom but needs wood, gold and weapons to do so.
The group may even have to help the neighbouring lord against the warlord.

Various monsters move into forest area's from manticores, chimera, dragons etc. Dragons could be hunting in the area so could be a white, black, red or green (blues not impossible but a little lost).

The druids could need an ancient set of elven weapons, items or other that were locked into protected vaults where only those that prove worthy can take them (puzzles,traps, animated statues).

Sign In to post comments