So....am I in the beta, or not?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've not been a part of the beta so far, but about two hours ago I recieved an email thanking me for my help, and inviting me to some "things" happening over the weekend.

Also in the email was a link to the beta boards, but when I click on that link it says "Sorry, these are private" and I can't view them.

Soooo.....was this sent to me in error?  Is it a fishing scam?

It does link to an executable file that is supposedly the beta client, but considering I'm not a part of the beta this has me a bit worried.  Can someone confirm if this is real or a scam?
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Legit*. Additional information in PM.

* As far as I can tell. Headers look correct, and the links given are all legitimate links.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
If you never applied to the beta, this seems very strange.

I can't remember if my invite was accompanied by a link pointing straight to an executable file, or simply a HTML file that displayed that actual exe link. I think it's odd to get a URL pointing straight to an exe. Does the URL point somewhere within hasbro/wotc/wizards.com when you view its properties (not just the displayed text in the email)?

It's normal to not have access to the beta boards at first, I had to send an email request to get access initially.
If you never applied to the beta, this seems very strange.

I can't remember if my invite was accompanied by a link pointing straight to an executable file, or simply a HTML file that displayed that actual exe link. I think it's odd to get a URL pointing straight to an exe. Does the URL point somewhere within hasbro/wotc/wizards.com when you view its properties (not just the displayed text in the email)?

It's normal to not have access to the beta boards at first, I had to send an email request to get access initially.

I've got the same e-mail; it is the correct link to the client download.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
We did send out an email this evening to players on our beta list.  This list included players who applied for beta and are receiving the beta communication for the first time.    

If you received an invitation and have not yet been on the beta, we are keenly interested in your feedback and look forward to seeing you on the Beta this weekend. 
OK, well thank you then.  I'll see you on the beta some time this weekend!
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Interstingly enough, I have received this email as well. I am glad that you verified that it was real. I may log on this weekend to see what I have been missing. I have beta tested in the past so I'll dust off my old routines an dsee if I can find some bugs while playing... I am somewhat OCD about fulfilling responsibilities even if this is not neccessarily what is expected.

Thanks
This email is legitimate! See you on the beta!
Magic Online Beta Coordinator href="http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2217/kw/beta">How to submit a MTGO Closed Beta bug
I am confused because I received an email telling me about the Magic Online Beta Weekend Event and Survey, which I would love to participate in, but before this I've never received any response or feedback from my Beta Applications.  Does this mean I am allowed to participate, and if so how can I do so?  

I downloaded the Magic Online UI Redesign Client from the email, but when I try to sign in, it just says my account is no longer active, and to access Magic Online I need to create a new account.  Do I need a separate Magic Online account for the Beta, apart from my regular Magic Online account that works in the normal client?  I also tried to sign up for the Beta Forums, but it just says it's a private group.  It seems I'm not allowed to participate, despite what the email says, which is unfortunate because I am interested in participating in the Beta testing. 
Hey tcclemson,

If you received an email, it does mean that you are in the beta!  

The email has a ton of info, so I suggest reviewing it again.  If you cannot log into the beta or the beta forums, you will need to email the QA team (their email address is in the email) and let the know what is happening. 

Your beta login will be the same as your live account one.  Your beta forum login will be the same as your regular forum login.  This assumes that there were no typos/mispellings in your application (which can happen from time to time).  

Hope that helps,
Chris
I just sent an email to the QA team and am just waiting on a response, but it seems that there are a number of people with my same problem and asking the normal client's ORC's questions about why when they try to login to the Beta they get a "Your account is no longer active" error message.  

Anyways, thanks for the help, and I hope I get to participate in the Beta.   
I was able to download the client and could log in earlier but as I am attempting to log on now, I am getting the same error. Account no longer active. I cannot access the beta boards either...

Edit: correction I now can access the beta board... The irony lol
Im guessing my absentia has caused me to be disinvited. *sadface* I did participate in the last beta - survey effort and I think I added some good feedback. C'est La Vie.

Winter.Wolf

Im guessing my absentia has caused me to be disinvited. *sadface* I did participate in the last beta - survey effort and I think I added some good feedback. C'est La Vie.

The UI beta hasn't actually been closed in MANY months, so I'm not sure what you mean by "last beta".

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

The UI beta hasn't actually been closed in MANY months, so I'm not sure what you mean by "last beta".

No doubt your confusion stems from my own. 2 hours sleep + game that turns the caps lock on = Winter not understanding why he can't login. Though I didn't get the email this time around. But I meant "last beta survey effort" not last beta. Hope that makes more sense.

Ok now back to cruelly addictive game that turns the caps lock on.

Winter.Wolf

I just sent an email to the QA team and am just waiting on a response, but it seems that there are a number of people with my same problem and asking the normal client's ORC's questions about why when they try to login to the Beta they get a "Your account is no longer active" error message.  

Anyways, thanks for the help, and I hope I get to participate in the Beta.   

Yeah same here, looks like a botched beta. I could login yesterday around 14 gmt but then when it really started I got the account no longer active too.
Yep, exactly the same with me. It let me log on yesterday morning at 10am GMT but  not now. Sent an email but no response. Will see what happens...
Same problem here it's saying that my account is no longer active. Since you guys already mailed customer support I won't do it.
You have to email cs yourself or you won't get your account fixed. If you don't tell them noone will know there is an issue with your account.
So not everyone is having this problem ? Alright then, guess I will mail them even though I couldn't stand the BETA visuals and gameplay.
Anyone who received the beta e-mail but is unable to login to the client and/or the beta group should send an e-mail as directed to the Online Games QA listed in the e-mail under the heading "Beta Boards" (do not reply to the address the e-mail was sent from). State you received the e-mail but are unable to login in one/both places and be sure to include ALL of the following:

MTGO user name
MTGO e-mail
Boards user name
Boards e-mail

I do not know when the last snapshot was taken, so if you have changed your password in the last several weeks, you may want to try your previous password to login to the beta client.

Please note that since it is the weekend and this is beta, your account may not be activated before Monday. Even if you miss the current weekend event, there will be others in the future, and you'll still be able to check out the new client and provide feedback in the meantime.

There's nothing more to be served by twenty more posts from people who can't login, so I am closing this thread. If anyone has any further questions, please sent me a direct message.

Remember, if you are not already in beta and wish to apply, you can apply here

Thread closed.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show