If Standard Pauper were a format would you play?

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just trying to get an idea about the size of the standard pauper community.  If it were a recognized format on mtgo would you play regularly? 
When it fit into my schedule, I used to play MPDC (a player-run Standard Pauper event occuring on Mondays) almost every week.  If it were an official format such that I could play "real" events in it, I'd likely play on at least a semi-regular basis.
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
No. I'm happy with the current Pauer format. one of the 'Posts could go, but the format is pretty healthy
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
The PDC tourneys are obviously the best asset for standard pauper players, but I don't think the casual pauper player knows about them or if they do they may feel intimidated by the level of competition.  I think if a format were offered in mtgo more casual players would get into it. I actually think the number of regular players would skyrocket just due to the addition of the format. Like, "look, this is a thing."  kind of attitude.

No. I'm happy with the current Pauer format. one of the 'Posts could go, but the format is pretty healthy

Is it?  The top 5 decks from when I played classic pauper two years ago are still the top 5 decks today. I don't see that as being healthy for any format. 
Delver of Secrets, Glimmerpost and anything with Infect are all less than 2 years old, I think a few things have changed ;)

As far as if I would play Standard Pauper events, sure I would atleast try them out.  If the format turned into a huge amount of mirror matches I would probably be out though.  The problem with Standard Pauper is always the same though, what is in it for WOTC?  Classic Pauper helps sell classic sets such as MVW and TSE (get Crypt Rats, Fireblasts, Lotus Petals) and it helped sell duel decks (only way to get Invigorate and Daze for a while.)  What would Standard Pauper help sell?  Most dedicated drafters have a hundred of most of the common staples, I don't think it would push people to draft anymore.
Forget the formats where official events are run, I think there's a horrible lack of options for casual play. A very frequent problem standard paupers players have is opponents joining with classic decks. It's frustrating for both players. I'd love for better casual play options where you could pick from whatever combination of formats you liked. Ideally you could union or intersection each format, e.g.

pauper intersection standard for pauper standard
pauper intersection prismatic intersection highlander for pauper prismatic singleton
etc.
My guess is that a standard pauper format wouldn't be that interesting.  There isn't enough variety of cards to make it interesting.  I would be much more interested in some sort of silver/black or peasant variant than a standard pauper format.
ArchGenius, while there have been times when Standard Pauper has been more or less interesting than the average, the card pool is usually (just) large enough to keep a variety of decks viable, at least in my experience with PDC tourneys using the format.  I will admit to having gotten tired of seeing tons of Squadron Hawks and Kor Skyfishers for a while there, but that sort of thing can and does happen in any format.
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
First the quick answer: Yes, I would play regularly.

I'd say pauper is definitely a format and there are various player organized events that run them. It can feel a bit like playing awesome limited decks sometimes, but playing an awesome draft deck is actually quite cool.  There are  even a few sites that run articles on the changing state of standard pauper, so yeah, I think there is definitely enough depth in it for it to be supported by MTGO.

The only issue I see is that adding formats dilutes existing formats, so its possible that if standard pauper was became a supported format it would steal players from classic pauper. Having said that, Classic Pauper is getting more and more popular every day from what I can see and I see Standard Pauper as a way to have a rotating version of it.

Other than the diluting effect, I don't see it as being a bad business move to support it in MTGO with a formal format filter and even with dailies, 2-men queues and perhaps some premier events or TNMO appearances (and I would love 8 man queues for at least Classic Pauper). Standard Pauper is almost free to play in terms of building a deck (and there are many ways to play free MTGO like this), but having sanctioned events creates another venue for absorbing tickets. 

The top 5 decks from when I played classic pauper two years ago are still the top 5 decks today. I don't see that as being healthy for any forma

Since classic pauper is an eternal format, I don't expect it to change much in general but I do expect there to be a number of strategies that can win. In this format there are about 10 decks that 4-0 the dailies consistently and another 20 different "roguish" decks which take them down now and then, and I would say that is plenty of variety.

Even better, each new set usually bring in a handful of cards that either create new archetypes (infect) or remake older archetypes (delver, glimmerpost, young wolf). We also see new interesting decks suddenly winning the dailies (red/green beats, songs of the damned) here and there, showing that there is plenty of room for new stuff. So even though I welcome getting Standard Pauper as a format, I don't believe Pauper Classic is stale in any way. 

One more thing, I actually agree with archgenius and think Standard Silver/Black (with as many uncommons as you want, not just 5 like Peasant) would be a better option as there are many uncommon cards that allow building interesting combo/control decks, while full pauper tends to be mostly aggro, yet uncommons are generally cheap enough to keep the format accessible to all.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
I would play alot more then I currently do for classic pauper. I have the cards for classic pauper but I love me some standard alot more.
- Joe

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

I've actually wanted to play a format of all commons/uncommons but didn't think there would be enough of a player base to actually get any games.  That's cool that it has a name. I've never played silver/black but would definitely put together decks if I knew I could play games.  In response to standard pauper not having enough variety of cards, I actually think it has more variety than classic pauper.  In a normal "season" of pauper, between when a new set is released and the following set is released, there will be more than a dozen viable decks that place in the top 4 of any given tournament. That's almost as many viable decks as classic has at all times.  Over the course of one block there are well over 30 unique decks that consistently place in the top 4 so if anything, standard pauper has more variety with a smaller card base. 
EDIT: Ain't quite sure why the last paragraph bolded, nor can I get rid of said bolding.  Sorry.

I don't play any constructed, except an occasional random casual game.  Coincidentally with a standard all commons deck.  Not intentionally pauper, just kinda my form of reverse griefing.  It's fun to beat random foiled out decks with green monsters and pacifisms...

But that's not why I posted today. :D

Silly question, but, IF there were a problem with a lack of variety in a Standard Pauper format, what happens if you were to change the maximum number of cradz of a type from 4 to 3 or 2?  Or heaven forbid, Pauper Highlander?  Maybe someone has tried to run such before? Yeah silly idea.

grapplingfarang asks the right question.  I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion though.  I think the benefits of adding another introductory step are there for WotC.  I think.  Maybe.
Thank you, Erik.
Are uncommons that expensive?  No, rarely do any of them become more expensive than 1-2 tickes and most of them are no more expensive than commons. 

Therefore an intro format filled with commons AND uncommons would not be significantly more expensive than a format filled with only commons. 

If WotC was going to introduce a new format, why should they make it that similar to one that already exists?  Why not create at least some variety?

I think attaching a SilverBlack format to the Modern card set would work better as an introductory (inexpensive) format with a big enough card set to be interesting and filled with a variety of decktypes.        
Are uncommons that expensive?  No, rarely do any of them become more expensive than 1-2 tickes and most of them are no more expensive than commons.

Agreed, because there's such a large supply and little demand. However, if you created a commons/uncommons-only format, prices of some uncommons would go up considerably. Perhaps this might be balanced by the prices of some commons decreasing?

Agreed, because there's such a large supply and little demand. However, if you created a commons/uncommons-only format, prices of some uncommons would go up considerably. Perhaps this might be balanced by the prices of some commons decreasing?

With a classic silver/black format prices would skyrocket on some of the older uncommons since the older classic sets were only drafted at a small fraction of the rate that modern sets are drafted.

With a standard silver/black format, no uncommon would be too expensive.  Drafters would eat up any format with expensive uncommons until the price would fall. 

With a modern silver/black format, this might be an issue with some of the older sets but this could easily be addressed by a well placed cube/under-drafted set pairing.         
Yes, I would play std pauper all the time.

Here's hoping.
Well I like the EV of DE's more than that of 2-mans and 8-mans.  So if standard pauper DE's were added to the schedule, I would try to play in one every day as long as the next 4 hours of my schedule were free.  It's even more accessible than regular pauper, there aren't any 2 ticket, 5 ticket, etc. cards, they're all like 6 cents.  So I'm down.  My only concern is whether the format is healthy, because I hate playing highly luck-intensive formats, so I would need to see how the format actually shapes up.  Obviously there's minimal manafixing (like regular pauper), but unlike regular pauper, there's not as much luck-fixing in the form of cycling, retrace, etc.
Modern Common+Uncommon (like someone has suggested in this thread) sounds far more interesting to me than STD Pauper. I'd play this one, but almost certainly not STD Pauper.

When STD rotates, the cardpool goes from 8 sets (2 core, 2 x 3 from blocks) to 5 sets (1 core, 1 x 3 from a block, 1 new large set). The common cardpool might not support a variety of decks at the low points in the release cycle.
EDIT: Ain't quite sure why the last paragraph bolded, nor can I get rid of said bolding.  Sorry.

grapplingfarang asks the right question.  I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion though. I think the benefits of adding another introductory step are there for WotC. I think. Maybe.

To fix the boldng issue, click the edit your post button and then click the [HTML] button right next to the Broom button. This will bring up the HTML Source Editor box. Then remove the following HTML formatting:
< span class=" mb_t_p_t_poster_username ">

and all instances of
" & nbsp; "

Guess what? Chicken butt.

One thing that I hope they are taking into account from a business perspective is how most online games are moving into the free to play business model. MTGO has had this model since it started (I think) but the main idea behind this model is to get large numbers of people into trying out the game and enjoying with a limited version of the game and then enticing them to spend more at their pace, with by selling the possibility of more options and depth.

Pauper certainly helps this model as its one of the best options to get into without much spending after digging around with the base cards you get and the planeswalker format and having dailies and constructed queues lets players enter the exciting world of competitive constructed without the risk of spending away a lot of money on a deck.

I actually think that officially supporting the cheap formats like Standard Pauper and modern/standard silverblack with sanctioned events would benefit the bottom line if the market looks like this:

A majority of players that use MTGO or would like to use as a place to play casually

A minority of players that use MTGO to play competitively.

If the market currently looks like that, then bringing in cheaper formats, allows casual players to take baby steps into it and as long as the cost of entry to events is within a certain threshold these people will enter just from the allure of prizes and the fact that its easy to build the decks. This generates a new market of people who spend money on many of the cards the hard core players aren't using and play in events the hard core players aren't playing in.

For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
Sorry to be the one to bring this up, but when leagues return they might work as one of the cheaper formats gabochidillo is hoping for.
Sorry to be the one to bring this up, but when leagues return they might work as one of the cheaper formats gabochidillo is hoping for.

But when leagues existed before they were always extended sealed deck tournamnets, they weren't really a constructed format.  I think we're discussing cheap constructed formats.  I don't think the desire for budget constructed formats goes away when leagues return.
I think we're discussing cheap constructed formats.

Good point, shows how little I think of Magic beyond limited formats!
I actually think that officially supporting the cheap formats like Standard Pauper and modern/standard silverblack with sanctioned events would benefit the bottom line if the market looks like this:

A majority of players that use MTGO or would like to use as a place to play casually

If the market currently looks like that, then bringing in cheaper formats...

Since I've already demonstrated my lack of awareness about constructed, let me ask this: Does Wizards support/sanction any "cheap" constructed formats in paper?

If the market currently looks like that, then bringing in cheaper formats...

Since I've already demonstrated my lack of awareness about constructed, let me ask this: Does Wizards support/sanction any "cheap" constructed formats in paper?

I'm definitely not an expert on paper so I don't know much. Take my response with a grain of salt, but with paper Magic, local game stores can run budget tournaments of any format they like with or without WotC sanctioning.  I'm guessing it's less of an issue with paper.  Players in paper are frequently coming up with new formats that WotC doesn't immediately adopt such as 5-color, pauper, peasant, and commander.  With Magic Online that becomes more difficult we can't come up with our own deck format legality filters.
Yes, I would be interested in this format. I played in a few PRE a while ago.
As the host of Monday Pauper Deck Challenge, which is a Standard Pauper PRE, I would certainly be interested. We average around 30 players a week at this event. I would hazard to guess that in the past two years in which I have been host, we easily could have seen several hundred unique users who have participated in these events.

For WotC, this would be a major win for one very good reason. Standard Pauper is the perfect gateway drug. It's cheap, it's easy to assemble a competitive deck, and it gets you extremely interested in the Standard format. Once players get hooked on this experience, it's a small step to either start playing regular Standard games in the Just for Fun room or playing in the latest Limited format. And at that point, you've got another consumer happily handing over his or her money on a regular basis.

Standard Pauper - good for you, good for Wizards.

Hmmm...that sounds like a good article title. Smile 
The ONLY thing about my current work schedule that makes me sad is that I'm no longer able to attend MPDC.  For anyone who has that time slot open in their schedule, I highly recommend it.  Gwyned does a great job as host, and the competition is friendly and fun.
As the host of Monday Pauper Deck Challenge, which is a Standard Pauper PRE, I would certainly be interested. We average around 30 players a week at this event. I would hazard to guess that in the past two years in which I have been host, we easily could have seen several hundred unique users who have participated in these events.

For WotC, this would be a major win for one very good reason. Standard Pauper is the perfect gateway drug. It's cheap, it's easy to assemble a competitive deck, and it gets you extremely interested in the Standard format. Once players get hooked on this experience, it's a small step to either start playing regular Standard games in the Just for Fun room or playing in the latest Limited format. And at that point, you've got another consumer happily handing over his or her money on a regular basis.

Standard Pauper - good for you, good for Wizards.

Hmmm...that sounds like a good article title. Smile 

I couldnt agree more with the above.
I  play a limited amount of pauper events on mtgo, but if Standard was supported I would find myself playing it alot more.
 I play MPDC almost every week. If we had in client support I would be spending more money then I currently am for sure.

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

How to apply for beta

I would love to see Constructed Standard (Pauper) as an officially supported format, with the corresponding filters available in the Deck Editor.
I would love to see Constructed Standard (Pauper) as an officially supported format, with the corresponding filters available in the Deck Editor.

You might see it as a casually supported format, but I think that the original opinions for not having tournament support are still widely held by those in charge of MTG:O.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Yeah that sounds cool. I been playing for a little while now and people are destroying me with these crazy combos from so far back it is hard to know what to defend against. Mind you I am new. This way it would benifit new players. Having a set that you can get used to and build decks accordingly. In the just starting out there is no pauper format there and it sucks because I can not afford to play standard. I can barely afford to have fun in pauper. Some of the commons are so pricey that I refuse to pay 5 tix for serrated arrows. And very few people carry them, they are 6 tix a piece?!?! Really? The way MTGO is now, is very new player unfriendly! And this is not cool at all.
Yeah that sounds cool. I been playing for a little while now and people are destroying me with these crazy combos from so far back it is hard to know what to defend against. Mind you I am new. This way it would benifit new players. Having a set that you can get used to and build decks accordingly. In the just starting out there is no pauper format there and it sucks because I can not afford to play standard. I can barely afford to have fun in pauper. Some of the commons are so pricey that I refuse to pay 5 tix for serrated arrows. And very few people carry them, they are 6 tix a piece?!?! Really? The way MTGO is now, is very new player unfriendly! And this is not cool at all.

There seems to be a misconception that Pauper is a beginners format. It's actually the lowest cost competitive constructed format.

However, I'm all for casual play options, and I'd like to have pauper as a modifier with all the formats, pauper standard, pauper modern, pauper prismatic singleton, pauper commander, pauper planechase etc.

+1 to what JMason said.

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

There seems to be a misconception that Pauper is a beginners format. It's actually the lowest cost competitive constructed format.

However, I'm all for casual play options, and I'd like to have pauper as a modifier with all the formats, pauper standard, pauper modern, pauper prismatic singleton, pauper commander, pauper planechase etc.

I just think it has more to do with new players not wanting to invest a lot of money you would haft to in standard until they get comfortable and know what they are doing. So new people tend to go towards Pauper. I am just saying have a place where new people can go and play like in the just starting out section but they dont do pauper there. People will get discouraged fast if they invest and additional $20 on cards and waste there money on what they think is a good deck and they get decimated by turn 3 from 100,000 1/1 goblin tokens. My point I want to make is WOTC or whoever, be more friendly to the new guy. If new players start declining so does WOTC. And i been around for a week or 2 online and already can see why people turn and run. Drop the m13 junk cards and throw more tickets at new users. Or at least give them a competition deck or something. Its digital so there is no cost to make the cards right?  I will shut up now. 

I just think it has more to do with new players not wanting to invest a lot of money you would haft to in standard until they get comfortable and know what they are doing. So new people tend to go towards Pauper. I am just saying have a place where new people can go and play like in the just starting out section but they dont do pauper there. People will get discouraged fast if they invest and additional $20 on cards and waste there money on what they think is a good deck and they get decimated by turn 3 from 100,000 1/1 goblin tokens. My point I want to make is WOTC or whoever, be more friendly to the new guy. If new players start declining so does WOTC. And i been around for a week or 2 online and already can see why people turn and run. Drop the m13 junk cards and throw more tickets at new users. Or at least give them a competition deck or something. Its digital so there is no cost to make the cards right?  I will shut up now. 

I feel I have to try and say something encouraging for you, and you're right to take more time and get comfortable. The amount of reward you get from this game isn't necessarily related to what you spend and you shouldn't expect everything to happen right away. Spend a few weeks watching games and you'll be in a better position to know what to buy and what to avoid.

I feel I have to try and say something encouraging for you, and you're right to take more time and get comfortable. The amount of reward you get from this game isn't necessarily related to what you spend and you shouldn't expect everything to happen right away. Spend a few weeks watching games and you'll be in a better position to know what to buy and what to avoid.

No worries man. I did not mean for it to come out any negative way. The first few days I watched and threw some m13 cards together and played one game of standard and did not play for a few days until I did research on Pauper and decided that was the route for me due to not having money to throw at MTGO cards. I do not mind spending money to play, if I had $100 it would be gone. But total investment with everything is around $35 - $40 area. That includes buying an account. New players should have more patience or try DoTP as online starter kit. That game is fun. The cards you use in duels would cost a lot on MTGO. Anyway I am getting beat but if you seen my deck you would wonder how I got so many wins. Playing against affinity and Delver ETC. With a custom thrown together deck. One person has taken the time to beat on me and show me how to build with what I have and stick to a strategy  which to me is hard to do. Most of the time I just want to throw all the good cards from my set color or 2 which I run now. White Blue whatever Deck. But anyway I love the game and I am not stopping playing anytime soon. To the beginners if your losing too much and not having fun look me up ( IBleedBlue ) I have a few new people I play with. I myself do not use tournament decks, so for new people with no $$$ or building skills this is the thing for you. Add Me on MTGO and we can fix these things little by little and have fun playing in the process.
I would play
WoTc, im waving a flag at you that says "we want standard pauper"!

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

What would it take to put this into MTGO? Is it a popularity thing or money thing? Anyone care to drop some knowledge on me? I am new to the online scene and have no clue how they do things. And another idea is all the people who want to play standard pauper make a CLAN: Standard Pauper. And start a official thread to get the word out until they add it. 
What would it take to put this into MTGO? Is it a popularity thing or money thing? Anyone care to drop some knowledge on me? I am new to the online scene and have no clue how they do things. And another idea is all the people who want to play standard pauper make a CLAN: Standard Pauper. And start a official thread to get the word out until they add it. 

The v4 client sneak peak (in late July) already has shown that MTGO is capable and wotc  is willing to make it a format you can filter for in both the editor and games. The difficulty now is getting them to find it profitable enough to add events for it.

Winter.Wolf