Custom Theme Design - Seeking Feedback

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've created a theme inspired by the Sword of Truth Confessors for one of my players. I have a great deal of flavor in mind, but for now I'm just hoping to get some feedback on creating a theme that is balanced. My intuition tells me that my first draft might be overpowered... but I'm hoping to get your opinions. If it is OP, do you have any suggestions to fix?

FWIW, I'm not attached to the power names, the flavor descriptions or even the name of the theme. Before focusing on those, I'd like to get the mechanics right.

Version 1: Link
Version 2: 

Clarification: I intended for the Frenzy stance to make the Silent Thunder attack an at-will (and possibly basic).

EDIT - Version 2 posted. 
Dominate at such a low level sounds bonkers overpowered.
Dominate at such a low level sounds bonkers overpowered.

I can't say I disagree. I'm not certain how to fix it though... swap with the level 6? Make the stance a daily?

I could nerf it to stunned, but that doesn't jibe with the lore I had in mind... however I can make that sacrifice it it's the difference between broken and not.
Lowest level dominate power I could find was lvl 9 daily for vampires (Domineering gaze). After that the next lowest power is a lvl 15 daily for wizards (charm of the dark dream).  If domination is key to it then it needs to kick in much later. You could add it to thunderous frenzy possibly?
Lowest level dominate power I could find was lvl 9 daily for vampires (Domineering gaze). After that the next lowest power is a lvl 15 daily for wizards (charm of the dark dream).  If domination is key to it then it needs to kick in much later. You could add it to thunderous frenzy possibly?

I like the way the Domineering Gaze is terminated when it's used to damage the creature. Maybe I could trigger the dominate to end in a similar way? (ideas?) As far as the level discrepency between DG and ST, I'd like to point out that ST causes the user to fall unconscious. In my mind, that's a very high price to pay. I think that level 6 could be appropriate for the power. Also note how inaccurate the ST attack is... Does any of that convince you? (say so if you are not swayed! I am definitely not certain that these arguments are sufficient)

On the same note, would It's Just a Dream be OP for level 2?

Regarding the idea of adding dominate to the Thunderous Frenzy... I really have to balk at that idea. It would (I think) be way too much. I deliberately setup the Frenzy and the Shocking Insight to be two different stances. 

Its just a dream sounds better for the lvl 2 utility slot. I'll need to think on your other suggestions/arguments.
^^ Version 2 posted ^^
1. You'll want to change some of the woding on Silent Thunder:

- Add an attack bonus that scales by tier (ie +3, +6 Paragon, +9 Epic). Since it's not a weapon or implement attack, it can't gain any benefits from feats or magic weapons and will steadily become unlikely to hit with at higher levels as is.
- Remove that penalty to Bluff checks from the power, and make it either it's own power or a Confessor feature.
- Change the Special clause to: "You cannot attack the same target with this power more than once in an encounter."

2. Shocking Insight should either be a property or should not be a stance. IIRC, you cannot keep a stance while unconcious, so it's probably safer not to create an exception to that rule.

3. Just a Dream doesn't work as is; you can't take Immediate Actions while unconcious. Either make it "No Action", or just make it a property that grants a save bonus against unconciousness.

4. Blood Frenzy is just way too extreme, and overall quite harmful. Remove the surge cost, remove any refrence to Shocking Insight, and add a secondary attack that knocks creatures unconcious for a round and also cannot target the same creature more than once an encounter.

1. You'll want to change some of the woding on Silent Thunder:

- Add an attack bonus that scales by tier (ie +3, +6 Paragon, +9 Epic). Since it's not a weapon or implement attack, it can't gain any benefits from feats or magic weapons and will steadily become unlikely to hit with at higher levels as is.
- Remove that penalty to Bluff checks from the power, and make it either it's own power or a Confessor feature.
- Change the Special clause to: "You cannot attack the same target with this power more than once in an encounter."

This makes sense to me, and I think I will make those changes with one exception: I was truthfully hoping that ST would really only be usable against a given target once. Ever. The confessor has already attemped (and possibly succeeded) to "mind meld" so-to-speak. The damage is either already done or the confessor wasn't able to make the connection. Additionally the lasting penalty to bluffing the confessor (as a property) is evidence of it's permanance.
2. Shocking Insight should either be a property or should not be a stance. IIRC, you cannot keep a stance while unconcious, so it's probably safer not to create an exception to that rule.

Well, I didn't mean to make a exception to the rule. My intention is that at the moment the ST attack hits, the dominate aftereffect would be applicable. There's no need to maintain the stance afterwards (and it would be impossible to do so while unconscious).
3. Just a Dream doesn't work as is; you can't take Immediate Actions while unconcious. Either make it "No Action", or just make it a property that grants a save bonus against unconciousness.

I think I might not have been clear in describing the trigger. The interrupt should activate when the confessor is falling unconscious, not after the fact.
4. Blood Frenzy is just way too extreme, and overall quite harmful. Remove the surge cost, remove any refrence to [Silent Thunder], and add a secondary attack that knocks creatures unconcious for a round and also cannot target the same creature more than once an encounter.

I'm not sure why you say it's too extreme... can you elaborate? And do you mean harmful to the PC or to RAW or to the monsters?
i can give you one option other than just a straight up dominate that i used in one of my games. at the beginning of the enemy's turn instead of being dominated it is forced to take a free action to make an at-will or charge attack of the player's choice. then it gets the rest of its turn as normal.

so you get the dominate flavor but the creature still gets its regular turn as well

still too powerful for a theme probably
Honestly I think your theme is fine power wise, anyone saying that thats too low a level to get a dominate power at, I'd like to point out that druids get charm beast as an encounter at level 7, warlocks also get an encounter dominate at level 7.  There are also 2 level 5 daily dominate powes.

I'm not sure why your level 6 utility is an encounter, it might as well be a daily since the only spell it can be used with is also a daily.  In fact personally I think you should make it a daily power free action that isn't a stance and make it trigger off hitting with ST, this way it can also be utilised with the level 10 utility.

As to the level 10 utility, I'm not sure why anyone would ever realistically take it, yes an at-will mba that knocks unconscious is pretty good, but to do so you're forcing yourself to not be able to do anything else for basically the whole encounter as you'll use all your standards and move actions doing this and then be unable to target anyone else (although the power doesn't say what happens when there are no valid tarets which you should probably clarify).  In the process you'll burn a lot of surges, grant CA nonstop, and never deal damage for the whole encounter.  Personally I find it amusing the power is called "blood frenzy" when you can't actually hurt any enemies for the whole encounter after activating the power.
Honestly I think your theme is fine power wise, anyone saying that thats too low a level to get a dominate power at, I'd like to point out that druids get charm beast as an encounter at level 7, warlocks also get an encounter dominate at level 7.  There are also 2 level 5 daily dominate powes.

yeah, NO, theme powers are not supposed to be on par with class encounter attack powers, so that isnt a good comparison
Just a Dream is nonfunctional as written - it's an immediate interrupt, to a power you use as a standard on your own turn - you can't use immediate actions on your own turn.  It would have to be a no-action to work.

In general, this feels like it would be better as a Paragon Path rather than a theme, both from a mechanical power level perspective, and from a flavour perspective, it being one of the most powerful magics of the setting and all.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

yeah, NO, theme powers are not supposed to be on par with class encounter attack powers, so that isnt a good comparison

I wouldn't say it is on par though, he has to walk up into melee and knock himself unconscious at an enemies feet.
Moved to House Rules & Homebrew per VCL request.