05/17/2012 FtL: "Deadeye Decks"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Yay! He ran my deck!

He left out my favorite part of the deck, though: Standard legal. 
My deck is on there too :]. Which is also standard legal. I think I had 4 ponders and less witches though, but I might be wrong.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Yay, mine got posted too!  You guys had some fun ideas.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

What, no Evil Twin in there?

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

. . . wait. Sundial doesn't work the way he thinks it does . . .

"Basic idea is to pair the Navigator with the Flickerwisp or Glimmerpoint Stag, activate the newly gained ability as many times as possible before ending the turn with Sundial of the Infinite, leaving all creatures waiting to return in exile... forever."

Effects which say "At end of turn" still go off. Glimmerpoint Stag will work, Flickerwisp will not. And the current "Flicker-like" effects won't either unless they specifically come back at the end step.
"At end of turn" (not to be confused with the still-present "until end of turn") is no longer a meaningful game term; all cards it once appeared on have replaced it with "at the beginning of [some] end step." The key is to wait for the end step to roll around and all the delayed triggers from Flickerwisp or Glimmerpoint Stag will go on the stack, then you can Sundial (skipping forward just one step, from end step to cleanup), casting off all those triggers for good and leaving the affected cards in exile.

Note that if you activate Sundial before the end step here, the delayed triggers still haven't been satisfied and they still await the opportunity to trigger, which they'll do during the opponent's end step (when you don't have an opportunity to respond with a Sundial activation). It's important to actually wait for the triggers that would return them to go on the stack before ending the turn.
Noel, we <3 you. You listen to your community, write amazing articles full or personality and awesome interactions...

Wanna take over and write BoaB? Cause frankly I just find myself coming to your articles now and editing the decks to fit my budget.

JVL could learn from you.
Noel, we <3 you="" listen="" to="" your="" community="" write="" amazing="" articles="" full="" or="" personality="" and="" awesome="" interactions="" br="">
Wanna take over and write BoaB? Cause frankly I just find myself coming to your articles now and editing the decks to fit my budget.

something i do for some time now, and some decks are realy good. that surprised me in a good way
Noel, we <3 you="" listen="" to="" your="" community="" write="" amazing="" articles="" full="" or="" personality="" and="" awesome="" interactions="" br="">

So you are happily willing to make "budget cuts" to decks taht regularaly run 4-of Shocklands and other expensive rares, but can't give the BoaB writer any slack for running a $5 rare occassionally?

I don't think the problem here is with the writer.
So you are happily willing to make "budget cuts" to decks taht regularaly run 4-of Shocklands and other expensive rares, but can't give the BoaB writer any slack for running a $5 rare occassionally?

From the Lab decks are quirky, which usually means they use cards that aren't as mainstream, and thus are easier to acquire. The money comes from the lands, which is much easier to budgetize (hint: replace with basics or cheaper duals).

A $5 rare is harder to replace, especially if it's the backbone of the deck.

And it's not 'occasionally'. If it were occasional, people would cut JVL slack when he did it. But his idea of budget is frequently around (or over) $100; this is a problem for a column titled "Building on a Budget".
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Are $5 rares not budget anymore?  That's certainly news to me.
Are $5 rares not budget anymore?  That's certainly news to me.

The occasional $5 rare is fine. Multiple full playsets of $5 rares, not so much. Playsets of even more expensive cards, definitely not.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

From the Lab decks are quirky, which usually means they use cards that aren't as mainstream, and thus are easier to acquire. The money comes from the lands, which is much easier to budgetize (hint: replace with basics or cheaper duals).

A $5 rare is harder to replace, especially if it's the backbone of the deck.

And it's not 'occasionally'. If it were occasional, people would cut JVL slack when he did it. But his idea of budget is frequently around (or over) $100; this is a problem for a column titled "Building on a Budget".

Thanks, well said.
@Nestomato, it's not just me "that is the problem here". Have you even visited the forums for BoaB? You should take a closer look and see the kind of crap JVL pulls on a weekly basis. It's also quite an assumption to think that the only thing I do when I alter a deck is cut out a bunch of rares for cheaper versions, or for that matter, assuming that I don't give JVL slack when he runs "an occasional $5 rare". You sound like an idiot when you say stuff like that. BoaB, for as long as JVL has been writing it, has rarely respected the main word in it's title: Budget.

At least do a little bit of research before you go jumping on  a white horse defending JVL. He's pissed of way more people than just me, and for more valid reasons than what you alluded to.