Angthar Stonehold, Master of grappling PEACH

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I've had this character floating around for a while and decided to put it out for critique. It had originally started with me trying to dual wield Monk Unarmed strikes which I later found out you couldn't. I then was going for a double unarmed brawler but then I found several items that made that changed the build into this:

Show

Angthar Stonehold, level 30
Half-Orc, Fighter, Gladiator Champion, Ceaseless Guardian
Build: Brawling Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Guardian Mindfulness: Guardian Mindfulness Strength

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 28, Con 13, Dex 26, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 45 Fort: 53 Reflex: 43 Will: 41
HP: 202 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +29, Heal +22, Athletics +29

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +23, Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +17, History +16, Insight +17, Intimidate +17, Nature +17, Perception +17, Religion +16, Stealth +23, Streetwise +15, Thievery +23

FEATS
Level 1: Master at Arms
Level 2: Improved Grab
Level 4: Inescapable Hold
Level 6: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 8: Agile Superiority
Level 10: Pin Down
Level 11: Crushing Pin
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Daunting Challenge
Level 16: Defensive Advantage
Level 18: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 20: Blade Opportunist
Level 21: Uncanny Dodge
Level 22: Crushing Grab
Level 24: Rapid Combat Challenge
Level 26: Epic Fortitude
Level 28: Epic Will
Level 30: Light Blade Mastery

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Threatening Rush
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Tempest Dance
Fighter utility 2: Who's Next?
Fighter encounter 3: Parry and Riposte
Fighter daily 5: Dervish's Challenge
Fighter utility 6: Makeshift Shield
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Jackal Strike
Fighter utility 10: Body Shield (Fighter)
Fighter encounter 13: Stranglehold (replaces Steel Serpent Strike)
Fighter daily 15: Relentless Headlock (replaces Tempest Dance)
Fighter utility 16: Painful Drag
Fighter encounter 17: Vicious Uppercut (replaces Parry and Riposte)
Fighter daily 19: Smash and Grab (replaces Dervish's Challenge)
Fighter utility 22: Surprising Finish
Fighter encounter 23: Trollclaw Grip (replaces Come and Get It)
Fighter daily 25: Hammering Pommel (replaces Relentless Headlock)
Fighter encounter 27: Wrenching Assault (replaces Vicious Uppercut)
Fighter daily 29: Sudden Onslaught (replaces Jackal Strike)

ITEMS
Golden Ring of Teros (epic tier), Helm of Able Defense (paragon tier), Sash of Ensnarement (heroic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Resplendent Cloak +6, Dwarven Titanscale Armor +6, Grizzly Gauntlets (heroic tier), Dimensional Anchor (paragon tier), Bracers of Tactical Blows (paragon tier), Boots of Dancing (paragon tier), Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier), Goliath's Belt (heroic tier), Ebon Gauntlets (paragon tier), Graceful Rapier +6, Hestavar Dueling Blade Rapier +6

First thing to notice is the two swords. Both are uncommon but I'm sure you could wrangle one of them from your DM. Anyways there are two main equipment sets to adjust how you grapple.

• Ebon Gauntlets and Grizzly Gauntlets give you a choice between +3 to grabs and a drain effect when an opponent breaks a grab.

• Sash of Entanglement and the Goliaths Belt give you a choice between +2 to grabs and you can grab 2 sizes bigger than you and having Reach 2 and no longer needing a free hand for grab attacks.

So the idea is to either prepare to restrain one huge enemy or lots of enemies assuming you have the Minor actions to sustain them.

So any thoughts?

Attack powers that grab are not Grab Attacks. Things like the Goliath's Belt and the Grizzly Gauntlets aren't necessary for the Brawler Fighter (because Brawlers don't make grab attacks).

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Who said I'm only using attacks that grab?
I'm aware of the difference. However if the choice is guaranteeing the grab with a +43 strength check check or hitting with an attack at +36 vs AC, I think Im gonna want to make sure I get the grab first.
Beowolf called - he said you breached his trademark.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Beowolf called - he said you breached his trademark.

Not really, Grappling and Grabbing are two different things. And Beowulf indeed is the master of grabs, reaching a... well if he took the belt and gauntlets he'd be at +44. Clearly superior at grabbing.

I made a horrible grabbing monster a while back, very similar. Here's the level 30 version. It's working towards a different theme (formless druid), but still has almost as high accuracy with basic grabs as your own.
Well basic grabs aren't hard to optimize. +8 From improved Grabs, +6 from class feature, and +5 from the two items. The idea I started going for this build with was actually Wuxia, specifically the tales of people who threw around slik cloths like weighted rope and made them as hard as iron. The idea of my character whipping that sash around and ensnaring everything while he picked at them with his sword (Since we didn't get a Kara-tur book Ill have to make due with a Rapier and Broadsword early on instead of a Jian and Dao) was really appealing to me.

Also, I'll have post my Miasmic Breath build some day, maybe tomorrow. That thing is hideously broken.
Sign In to post comments