B/R Vampire bloodlust with a touch of burn.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trying to activate bloodlust for the creatures. It's a fresh deck I built just last night but didnt do very well in play testing. Got destroyed by another deck that was doing something similar.

9 Mountains
13 Swamp

~Black Creatures ~

2 Bloodline Keeper
2 Tormented Soul
3 Bloodlord Vaasgoth
4 Vampire Outcasts

~Red Creatures

4 Goblin Fireslinger
3 Rakish Heir
4 Blood Ogre
2 Stormblood Berserker

~Black Non-Creature~
2 Taste of Blood
4 Bump in the Night
2 Curse of Death's Hold
3 Grim Affliction

~Red Spells~
2 Pillar of Flame

~Artifacts~
3 Contagion Clasp 

Notes*

I have a fairly large card pool to choose from, but it's not my own. We have 6 Stormblood Berserkers, but they are in another deck.

We play mostly casual amongst ourselves, and we dont really side board, so the deck has to be somewhat versitile, which makes deck building EXTREMELY hard. I have to deal with Humans, infect, burning vengence, myrs, dragons, all kinds of stuff, because most of us have at least 3 decks. 

Cards sitting to the side I am considering rotating in-

1 Taste of Blood
1 Contagion Clasp
3 Rolling Temblor
2 Curse of Bloodletting
2 Curse of Death's Hold 
I'm far from the best deckbuilder in here, and I'm unfamiliar with several of these cards, but one issue I can see right off is a serious lack of one and two mana creatures. Like they told me in my vampire deck thread, fix your curve, and it should work a bit better.

My deck, for example, has
4 1drop
8 2drop
8 3drop
2 4 drop

and a lot of burn and proliferate stuff to pump the vamps up fast.

I'd suggest, if you are able, invest in some Stromkirk Noble. Great one mana creature, it really is.

Hope that helps a bit~!
I'm far from the best deckbuilder in here, and I'm unfamiliar with several of these cards, but one issue I can see right off is a serious lack of one and two mana creatures. Like they told me in my vampire deck thread, fix your curve, and it should work a bit better.

4 1drop
8 2drop
8 3drop
2 4 drop

I'd suggest, if you are able, invest in some Stromkirk Noble. Great one mana creature, it really is.

Hope that helps a bit~!

I see what you are saying. I'll look into some two drops. I wish I had some more Stormblood Berserkers. I have 6 1 drops though!

4 1drop
8 2drop
8 3drop
2 4 drop

Hope that helps a bit~!

I see what you are saying. I'll look into some two drops. I wish I had some more Stormblood Berserkers. I have 6 1 drops though!

6 1-drops? I must have missed some. Yeah, though, my current setup is:

4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Blood Artist
2 Falkenrath Exterminator
2 Vampire Interloper
3 Rakish Heir
1 Markov Blademaster
2 Olivia Voldaren

And that seems to work out alright. I usually draw what  I need pretty early on.
I see the idea with bloodlust, but vampires doesn't really support it too well as a theme. They do, however, have a large number of creatures with the slith mechanic.

Stromkirk noble is a good one drop for this, and the red/black 3-drop Stromkirk Captain makes all your vampires first strike, as well as pumping them with +1/+1, making something like a turn 1 noble, and a turn two bloodcrazed neonate into (potentially) a 3/3 and 3/2 first strikeing duo on turn 3. that's pretty scary to see comming towards you on the third turn.

The Neonate isn't a great card later in the game, so while something to consider if you wanted to build around this idea, it wouldn't be something I'd include without question.

Curse of Stalked Prey is also good in decks where you want to be agressive and also getting lots of counters.

Fling is also pretty good once you have a bunch of quick agressive attackers you've spent a couple of turns pumping, and it can be used to turn on bloodlust and morbid all in one little package! :D

Things you may also want to consider are: what are your removal options, your card draw/tutoring options, etc. I know I've focussed mostly on red, but you seemed to be having problems lower in your mana curve, and these were the first cards that sprung to mind.

I will say this: Taste of Blood is just not that great. you'd be better off adding something more like Tragic Slip or Dismember to get rid of more creatures. 1 point of damage and 1 life gain is a bit weak considering there are some very good options out there for black spells. Tragic Slip is brilliant, and only costs 1 mana. your mate just played an 8/8 indestructable avacyn? that's going to cause problems, but if you can activate morbid then it's a problem that goes away for the low price of 1 mana. Perhaps you could combo by flinging a guy at your opponent's head? ;)

Edit:
Blood artist is also good, and falkenrath noble, not to mention Havengul Vampire and bloodflow connisseur. lots of interesting vampires out there.