Phyrexian Metamorph ETB and killing an undying creature in response

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my opponent resolves a Phyrexian Metamorph and targets his counter-less Strangleroot Geist, can I, in response, Shock his Geist so when it resolves, the metamorph will be unable to target the Geist and be put in the graveyard as a 0/0 artifact creature?
Metamorph doesn't target.  By the time it's on the battlefield and you could cast shock, it's already a copy of Strangleroot Geist.
No.

First, Phyrexian Metamorph's transformation is chosen upon resolution. Second, Phyrexian Metamorph does not target. In order to Shock the Strangleroot Geist, you would have to do so before resolution, but it would still come back and be a legal selection for the Phyrexian Metamorph.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
This is kind of different from the original question, but if the Geist was the only creature in play (and had a +1/+1 counter already) You could respond to the metamorph by shocking the geist, this would cause the metamorph to enter as a 0/0 and go to the graveyard as soon as SBA are checked.
MTG Rules Advisor
This is kind of different from the original question, but if the Geist was the only creature in play (and had a +1/+1 counter already) You could respond to the metamorph by shocking the geist, this would cause the metamorph to enter as a 0/0 and go to the graveyard as soon as SBA are checked.

I know what you mean, but in this case that's not true(unless you shock it twice of course).  Strangleroot Geist would need to be killed twice to keep the Metamorph from having something to copy.
Ok, here's the deal.

The permanent that Metamorph copies isn't chosen until the Metamorph spell resolves and enters the field.

You can respond to the Metamorph spell, but you can not respond to the Metamorph entering the field.

Technically, your opponent isn't supposed to declare what he is going to have the Metamorph copy until it resolves.

He can do so before though. This just means he's announcing a shortcut saying "Cast Metamorph, it resolves and copies X"

Of course, you are always able to respond to his spell (say by Canceling it) and interrupt his shortcut.

So depending on how your opponent played it, yes you can Shock the creature he chose, but he can then choose to copy another creature (or an artifact) assuming one is available.

If he plays it properly, he should say "Casting Metamorph." or "Casting metamorph, any response?" and then you can respond with Shock (or whatever) but you won't know what he's planning to copy.
Note: If you ask him "what is it copying?", you are assumed to pass priority and let it resolve without a response.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I know what you mean, but in this case that's not true(unless you shock it twice of course).  Strangleroot Geist would need to be killed twice to keep the Metamorph from having something to copy.

I bolded the relevant part. A single kill is needed because it already has a +1/+1 counter.
[<o>]