A decent Vampire deck, now that AR is out?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I want to add a few cards from Avacyn Restored to my vamps, but... I can't seem to find a spot for them! Help me out here?

I'd like it if I could run:
Blood Artist
Falkenrath Exterminator
Havengul Vampire

So...any ideas? Are any of those completely useless? And so on.

Here's the current decklist I have:

Creatures 20

2 Olivia Voldaren
2 Bloodline Keeper
4 Stromkirk Captain
4 Stromkirk Noble
2 Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
4 Rakish Heir
2 Markov Blademaster

Noncreature Spells: 18
2 Sphere of the Suns
1 Brimstone Volley
4 Volt Charge
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
2 Furor of the Bitten
4 Tragic Slip
3 Tezzeret's Gambit

Lands 22
4 Clifftop Retreat
9 Swamp
Mountain
I wouldn't put in havangul vampire
I wouldn't put in havangul vampire

Fair enough, any other ideas? The only one I'm really concerned with is Blood Artist, honestly. The other two simply seemed fun, you know?
Fix your curve.

Vampires is meant to be an aggressive to midrange deck.

You probably want:
4 x 1 drop [Stromkirk Noble]
8 x 2 drop [Blood Artist, Falkenrath Exterminator]
8 x 3 drop [Markov Blademaster, Stromkirk Captain]
3 x 4 drop [Olivia Voldaren]

This will make your turns really smooth.

In terms of the burn suite.
you want Pillar of Flame.
Volt Charge is powerful with Exterminator/Blademaster/Noble

In the sideboard I suggest putting Bloodline Keeper for control.
Photobucket
Fix your curve.

Vampires is meant to be an aggressive to midrange deck.

You probably want:
4 x 1 drop [Stromkirk Noble]
8 x 2 drop [Blood Artist, Falkenrath Exterminator]
8 x 3 drop [Markov Blademaster, Stromkirk Captain]
3 x 4 drop [Olivia Voldaren]

This will make your turns really smooth.

In terms of the burn suite.
you want Pillar of Flame.
Volt Charge is powerful with Exterminator/Blademaster/Noble

In the sideboard I suggest putting Bloodline Keeper for control.

OK, I'm not sure I have 4 Falkenrath, and I know I don't have 3 Olivia. Any ideas for subs?

Also, what to do about Bloodlord? He's great, I thought...?
Look at the other relevant turn 4's in the format:
Wolf Run Ramp : Primeval Titan
Delver : Equip Runechanter's Pike, stab you. alternately, Lingering Souls flash back, Pike.

These are much more powerful plays then your turn 5 play in Bloodlord.
Photobucket
Delver : Equip Runechanter's Pike, stab you. alternately, Lingering Souls flash back, Pike.

Only problem with the ones you've given (And I know not where to go to research relevant 4's, I'm fairly new) is that they use off color mana. I only have 2 Sphere of the Suns, you think that'll be enough help?

EDIT:

And by enough help, I mean enough off color mana to reliably play those creatures?

Also, here's what I'm thinking now:

4 Noble
4 Blood Artist
4 Exterminator (if I have them.)
4 Blademaster
4 Captain
2 Olivia
1 ?

Drop Brimstone volley for Pillar.

Sound alright so far?

Thanks for all the help, as well.

Only problem with the ones you've given (And I know not where to go to research relevant 4's, I'm fairly new) is that they use off color mana. I only have 2 Sphere of the Suns, you think that'll be enough help?

Mud isnt suggesting you run those cards, he is just using them to give a comparison on the relative power level of 4 and 5 drops in the format.

My suggestion would be.

-2 Furor of the Bitten
-2 Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
-2 Sphere of the Suns
-2 Markov Blademaster
-2 Bloodline Keeper
-2 Swamp
-2 Mountain

+4 Blood Artist
+2 Falkenrath Exterminator
+2 Pillar of Flame
+2 Isolated Chapel
+4 Blackcleave Cliffs

The 2 Bloodline Keeper should be moved to the SB for the Control matchup (as Mud already mentioned).
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

Mud isnt suggesting you run those cards, he is just using them to give a comparison on the relative power level of 4 and 5 drops in the format.

My suggestion would be.

-2 Furor of the Bitten
-2 Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
-2 Sphere of the Suns
-2 Markov Blademaster
-2 Bloodline Keeper
-2 Swamp
-2 Mountain

+4 Blood Artist
+2 Falkenrath Exterminator
+2 Pillar of Flame
+2 Isolated Chapel
+4 Blackcleave Cliffs

The 2 Bloodline Keeper should be moved to the SB for the Control matchup (as Mud already mentioned).

I see. Well, then, my (not really asked) question stands: where do I find examples of relevant 4 drops? The only vampire 4 drops I know of are Olivia, Falkenrath Aristocrat, and Heirs of Stromkirk, unless I'm missing something...?

Also, why cut all that stuff you mentioned? There's no way in the world I could add the Blackcleave Cliffs or the Chapels, for starters. I know I didn't mention it, but I am on a tight budget. Further suggestion?

Thanks in advance~!
Olivia, Bloodline Keeper, and Falkenrath Aristocrat are the only playable 4 mana vampires in the format. The rest are all pretty sub-par.

As I said before, Mud wasn't suggesting you run those cards in your deck, he was using them as a comparison to show you how the vampire 4 drops stack up to the 4 drops being run in other popular archetypes.

As for where to find what cards are relevant in the meta at the moment, my suggestion would be to look into some recent tournament results for as many different archetypes as you can. This should give you some sort of basis for what is being played in the current meta. After awhile of playing, card evaluation skills begin to really develop and you can start to determine what cards are relevant in the meta and which ones aren't by yourself (although one should never stop paying attention to tournament results if one wishes to keep their finger on the pulse of the meta).

As for what I suggested cutting.

Furor of the Bitten is just a terrible card. It is not really that great to begin with, but being an Aura, it tends to set you up to get 2 for 1'd.

Sphere of the Suns isn't really doing much for you in this list outside of mana fixing. It allows you to get out your 4 drops a turn sooner, but in an agressive deck such as this, in most cases you are just better off running more "gas"

Bloodlord of Vaasgoth isn't really worth it for its mana cost. It just doesn't do enough to be worth running.

Markov Blademaster while potentially powerful, is very weak to removal at the moment, and its low toughness means most of the time it is just going to get eaten by most things when you send it into the red zone.

Bloodline Keeper is better suited to the SB. It is a very powerful card, but it is often too slow to do much of anything outside of matchups against Control.

As for inclusions.

Pillar of Flame is one of the best burn spells in the meta at the moment. It has a surprisingly large number of targets in the meta, and effectively shuts off Undying/LTB effects.

Blood Artist is surprisingly good as well. Not as good here as it is in the zombie decks running around, but still a pretty solid 2 drop.

Falkenrath Exterminator honestly isn't really that good of a card, but it helps out your curve(being that it is a 2 drop). The 2 drop vampires are pretty slim pickings. Of the six 2 drop vampires currently legal in Standard, only Blood Artist is actually considered playable. Vampire Interloper may actually be a better option here.

As for the mana, having those extra duals will help quite a bit in fixing your mana. I can understand not wanting to spend the money on them though, and can't blame you there. That being said, duals are one of the few things that are really worth the money, since they can be used in multiple decks easily enough and tend to retain a decent amount of value even after they rotate out of Standard.

Duals or not, you should probably bump the land count up to 24 if you plan on playing 4 drops consistently on turn 4.

Edit: Honestly Rakish Heir really isn't that great of a card either. Much like the 2 drops though, basically all of the 3 drop vampires outside of Captain Kirk are pretty terrible, and even he isn't really that great. Out of all of them though, Rakish Heir is probably the best outside of Stromkirk Captain, at least in terms of a deck running all vamps.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Wow, that was a bit of a lecture~!

Thanks for the insight, man. It helps, truly.

Now, I seem to be lacking in 3 drop vamps at the moment. I thought I had 4 Blademasters, but I don't. Would 4 Rakish Heir work, you reckon?

I'm also short on Falkenrath Exterminator, but I have some Interlopers, so I can throw those in.

As for not wanting to spend the money on the duals, believe me, I would if I could. Times are tough, you know? I'll get them sometime, somehow.

So, let me see if I read you right:

No Spheres, 4 Pillars instead.
Fix the curve.
Drop Bloodlord, Bloodline, and Blademaster (Though since I only have one, I may keep her, and drop three Heirs to fill it out.)
Add Blood Artist, Interloper/Exterminator.

About correct here?
Sorry, I tend to be pretty long winded. Just ask some of the other users around these forums! Tongue Out

Rakish Heir should work fine, and will actually probably do better for you than the Blademasters would anyways.

Vampire Interloper could work in place of Exterminator. It may actually be better here due to it having evasion.

None of the above cards are really that good though, which is the main reason why Vampires isn't really a deck at the moment. The lack of good 2 and 3 drops hurts its viability pretty bad.

As for the duals, like I said, I understand, competitive magic can get pretty expensive. No one can blame you for not having the money to spend on a card game. If you can manage to pick them up though they should help quite a bit.

Sounds about right...you may not be able to fit all 4 Pillars in, but having at least 2 is definitely worth it. You could also drop the single Brimstone Volley to make room for another Pillar, but that really comes down to your preference for more viable removal vs more reach for the late game.

Glad I could help.
Indeed you have helped, and thanks again for it~! I went with 2 and 2 on Exterminators and Interlopers, and the single Blademaster.

I also did drop the Brimstone Volley for a second Pillar, but I seem to be at a loss for what else to drop.
Furor of the Bitten should probably be the first thing to go if it is still in your deck. It is probably the worst card out of all of the cards we have talked about up until this point.

I have to be honest with you here, this deck probably wont match up very well against most of the popular archetypes being run. Like I said, vamps just aren't really viable as a stand alone creature type in the current format.

If you are just looking to have some fun at the kitchen table or at a local FNM you should be fine. I would not suggest trying to take this into a tournament though, as you wont get very far.

Vampires just do not have the support needed to be a really viable deck in the current meta. If you are looking to win consistently, I would have to suggest scrapping the whole idea and playing a different deck entirely.

Best of luck!
Nah, I dropped Furor first. And as far as tourneys go, FNM is about as competitive as I'm aiming with this one. My friend has a Modern format Reanimator that's just brutal, I'm just trying to build something that can put up a fight. Not even win, just...have a shot, you know? :p

Thanks again~! I know I sound like a broken record, but hey, gratitude never hurt anybody~!

EDIT: Oh, and if I was trying to go full on competitive, do you think a werewolf or a zombie deck would be better?
Sign In to post comments