Genasi Wind Elementalist

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay:

We use inherent bonuses in our world. I was given the parameters of making a genasi elementalist at level 7. The items were also assigned by the DM, so I couldn't choose them. Here's what I came up with. I'm not really interested in totally optimizing him, but I'm curious if I missed anything glaring (specifically with regards to his ability scores).

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Vanri, level 7
Genasi, Sorcerer (Elementalist)
Elemental Specialty Option: Air Elementalist
Elemental Manifestation Option: Stormsoul
Inherent Bonuses
Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)
Theme: Windlord

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 19, DEX 10, INT 12, WIS 8, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 17

AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 15 Will: 20
HP: 61 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Bluff +12, Endurance +14, Intimidate +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Athletics +5, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +4, Insight +2, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +4, Stealth +3, Streetwise +7, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Windlord Attack: Wind Fury Assault
Genasi Racial Power: Promise of Storm
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Bolt
Sorcerer Attack: Static Charge
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Air)
Sorcerer Utility 2: Deep Shroud
Sorcerer Utility 6: Sudden Scales

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Mark of Storm
Level 4: Arcane Spellfury
Level 6: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
Staff of the War Mage +2 x1
Chromatic Robe Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
====== End ======

Hmm... can you change this to a Revenant Genasi, or switch over to a Wizard or standard Sorcerer? Either would be a notable improvement.

The Elementalist just lacks punch.

I can switch to a standard sorcerer, though I'm trying to keep it simple due to the fact that it's a relatively new player playing it. 

I made a storm sorcerer genasi as well, but it didn't seem any better (in fact a little worse) than the air elementalist. Maybe I was missing something, though.

I don't think Revenant will fly (har har), unfortunately.
You were missing the importance of having striker encounter powers. The Elementalist doesn't get any, so they have no nova capability.

A Sorcerer Genasi with Elemental Echo and Flame Spiral's already better than this character on that alone.

Okay. I'll have to look at it again. I thought that Elemental Bolt with escalation (using the slide from the Dragonmark to move enemies together and putting the vulnerable 3 on those enemies), move close, daily with staff of the war mage to extend the blast, promise of storm, action point then static charge blast wouldn't be a bad "nova." I do realize that static charge's damage is pretty meh, though.

I should add (and I know this is venturing outside the real purpose of charop) that we don't have a controller in this group, but we do have another striker (rogue).
Static Charge is more effective the more you hit with it and if the enemies are clustered together.

For example:
4 enemies in a box like below

XX
X{X}

You hit all 4 and decide to add the extra to the one in {}. 
That one would take 1d8+cha+cha+cha+riders.
If you hit it with the air elemental bolt first, then it would do 1d8+3+cha+3+cha+3+cha+3+riders.
One would take 1d8+cha+riders and the rest would be 1d8+riders.

Each hit generates splash damage and each splash damage is a separate damage instance.
Static Charge is more effective the more you hit with it and if the enemies are clustered together.

For example:
4 enemies in a box like below

XX
X{X}

You hit all 4 and decide to add the extra to the one in {}. 
That one would take 1d8+cha+cha+cha+riders.
If you hit it with the air elemental bolt first, then it would do 1d8+3+cha+3+cha+3+cha+3+riders.
One would take 1d8+cha+riders and the rest would be 1d8+riders.

Each hit generates splash damage and each splash damage is a separate damage instance.

Thanks, Koshinuke. That was sort of what I had envisioned. I realize it's a little more controllerish, but that damage output doesn't look that bad to me.

1d8+3+8+3+8+3+8+3+1d8 (promise of storm)=53 max

plus, it would have already hit with escalated elemental bolt for 34 max.

That's an 87 hp nova round on one target, plus others would have taken lesser damage (possibly popped a ton of minions).

Am I overestimating something here? Once again, I know it's situational because I probably won't have enemies clustered together quite that well (though the dragonmark with the slide 1 on hit with the first attack will make it a little more possible). 
That's where teamwork comes in. If you can convince someone to cluster a lot of enemies around him (preferably the defender), then Static Charge obviously works a lot better. 

Too bad it's impossible for a Genasi Elementalist to get Polearm Momentum. Would've worked really well with Rushing Cleats, Mark of Storm and Static Charge. 
Hmm... can you change this to a Revenant Genasi, or switch over to a Wizard or standard Sorcerer? Either would be a notable improvement.

The Elementalist just lacks punch.

I can switch to a standard sorcerer, though I'm trying to keep it simple due to the fact that it's a relatively new player playing it.

Actually, the base Sorcerer isn't all that difficult to grasp, either. Most of the feats you're going to get are going to revolve around accuracy, damage, and defense boosts, and you don't have the focus on Control like your Warlock brethren do. Take powers that fit with your strategies and deal as much damage as possible to as many enemies as possible, and have him go to town with it. He'll get used to it quick enough. :3
In terms of complexity, how Elemental Escalation works is probably more complex than anything the Sorcerer has.

That's a valid point. I suppose I was thrown off by the complete lack of ability synergy between a genasi and sorcerer. Though I suppose a genasi dragon sorcerer has as much synergy as a genasi elementalist. Just dislike the flavor, but I know that's not what charop is about.
Okay. Worked up a firesoul genasi dragon sorc. I'm really not impressed with it, though. Maybe I'm just missing something, but its damage just looks meh.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Jett, level 7
Genasi, Sorcerer
Build: Dragon Sorcerer
Spell Source Option: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul Option: Dragon Soul Fire
Elemental Manifestation Option: Firesoul
Firepulse Option: Firepulse Strength
Inherent Bonuses
Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)
Theme: Firecrafter

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 12, WIS 8, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 17

AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 17 Will: 21
HP: 52 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Athletics +12, Endurance +10, Intimidate +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +4, Insight +2, Nature +4, Perception +2, Religion +4, Stealth +4, Streetwise +7, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Firecrafter Attack: Blazing Corona
Genasi Racial Power: Firepulse
Sorcerer Attack 1: Acid Orb
Sorcerer Attack 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer Attack 1: Explosive Pyre
Sorcerer Attack 1: Howling Tempest
Sorcerer Utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer Attack 5: Glacial Armor
Sorcerer Utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer Attack 7: Spark Form

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 6: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Chromatic Robe Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Accurate staff of the War Mage +2 x1
====== End ======

2d6+10 on daily (yes I know there are some ongoings as well)?
2d8+10 on Explosive Pyre.

The damage just doens't seem that impressive. Maybe my abilities are off or I'm missing out on some synergy somewhere?
Static charge, unfortunately, has to wait until paragon to really come into its own and you have to spend too many feats to make it good.

Feats
Arcane Admixture Thunder(Static Charge)
Resounding Thunder(+1 Burst/Blast with Thunder powers)
Superior Implement Resonating Dagger(Engergized Thunder - +2/3/4 Thunder damage, Forceful - +1 forced movement)
Mark of Storm

Unfortunately, since AA thunder and Resounding Thunder are paragon, this does not kick in until then.  But, you would have it be blast 4 and you would be able to slide the targets inside it 2 which would make positioning easier.  If you want, you could even add Rushing Cleats and be able to slide 3 and therefore as long as they are hit by it, you could clump them up.

Unfortunately, that is 3 feats for one spell which you may or may not use a lot though it is friendly.
If you go Lyander wind-rider, you can really add some damage.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Static charge, unfortunately, has to wait until paragon to really come into its own and you have to spend too many feats to make it good.

Feats
Arcane Admixture Thunder(Static Charge)
Resounding Thunder(+1 Burst/Blast with Thunder powers)
Superior Implement Resonating Dagger(Engergized Thunder - +2/3/4 Thunder damage, Forceful - +1 forced movement)
Mark of Storm

Unfortunately, since AA thunder and Resounding Thunder are paragon, this does not kick in until then.  But, you would have it be blast 4 and you would be able to slide the targets inside it 2 which would make positioning easier.  If you want, you could even add Rushing Cleats and be able to slide 3 and therefore as long as they are hit by it, you could clump them up.

Unfortunately, that is 3 feats for one spell which you may or may not use a lot though it is friendly.

The good news is that I can make it burst 4 once per day with the robe's daily. But yeah, that's a lot of expense for just a decent return.

I've already started eyeing the Lyrandar Wind-Rider PP, though.

The worst thing about this PC will be restraining myself from telling the (relatively) newbie player how to play it. His last PC (that died in our last session) was a ridiculous longtooth chargarian with a vanguard axe that the rest of the table started saying was just an extension of my frustrated striker fantasies (I play a runepriest in this campaign) due to my constant coaching of the player.
If you take Wind-Rider, then it gets even more insane as the splash damage goes to Cha+Con per. 

So in the previous example it would be 1d8+Cha*3+Con*4+riders.  If you had hit with elemental bolt it would be the addition 9 from vulnerability.  If you can add any lightning or thunder vulnerability, say from an elemental warlock, then it can easily shoot up there adding 10 per hit at paragon.
We played last night, and the player had a good time. He only got to play a single encounter. Sadly, for him, it was a wind elemental themed encounter, so all the creatures had super high reflexes (24+). With his +11 to hit reflex, he was missing quite a bit. However, he also hit quite a few and did nice damage (I think he hit for like 35 once) on those hits. 

Distant advantage or something of that nature may be coming into play for his level 8 feat (though I should probably stick with the spellfury feats).

This build is still holding its own. We just leveled to 8. Our DM is allowing us to take some specific elemental companions in place of a feat at level 8. This guy can take the Storm Talon elemental companion which grants a +2 power bonus to lightning/thunder attack rolls against enemies in its aura. This is a no-brainer to take, right? Or am I missing something?
The lack of ability synergy between the Genasi and the Sorcerer has always been a bit of a system flaw. Blame whoever decided CON/INT was better than STR/CHA for the secondary array, I suppose.

That would be the Swordmages.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Storm Talon's absolutely a no-brainer. As long as he's careful with it (since it's a minion) it's an easy way to drastically increase accuracy, especially if he's not required to grab Born of the Elements first.
Sign In to post comments