Leaf-Crowned Elder reveals a second Leaf-Crowned Elder

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a Leaf-Crowned Elder in play, and at the begining of my upkeep, I reveal another from the top of my deck and put it onto the battlefield.

Are we still at "the begining of my upkeep"?  Does this second Leaf-Crowned Elder trigger and allow me to reveal the top card and put another treefolk or shaman into play?

Faster is better. Usually..

I have a Leaf-Crowned Elder in play, and at the begining of my upkeep, I reveal another from the top of my deck and put it onto the battlefield.

Are we still at "the begining of my upkeep"?  Does this second Leaf-Crowned Elder trigger and allow me to reveal the top card and put another treefolk or shaman into play?

No.  The begininng of upkeep only happens once.  The second Elder won't trigger.

The second leaf-crowned elder does not trigger. The upkeep only begins once.
On the next upkeep phase, there will be two triggered abilities put onto the stack, one for each elder.

The card rulings seem to indicate that even though both abilities are on the stack, only one card is revealed and only one card may be put into play this way. Is that correct or am I missing something?
On the next upkeep phase, there will be two triggered abilities put onto the stack, one for each elder.

The card rulings seem to indicate that even though both abilities are on the stack, only one card is revealed and only one card may be put into play this way. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Both abilities are put onto the stack at the same time.  Assuming nothing happens in between(such as the top card of your library being cast without paying it's mana cost; fetch lands and Brainstorm are other examples) it will be the same card - because obviously if you don't move it, it will still be there when you look again.

Do you mean this ruling?
4/1/2008 If you have multiple creatures with kinship abilities, each triggers and resolves separately. You'll look at the same card for each one, unless you have some method of shuffling your library or moving that card to a different zone.

The text in bold is highly relevant to leaf-crowned elder, because leaf-crowned elder is itself a "method of moving that card to a different zone". When the first ability resolves, you look at the top card and may reveal it. If you do and you cast it, it is no longer on top of your library. When the second ability resolves, you look at the top card of your library. If you cast the first card, then you are looking at a different card than before.
Each trigger will resolve independent of the other and do so fully, before the other does. If you reveal and cast the top card with the first trigger, the top card changes and the second trigger to resolve allows you to reveal and cast the new top card as well.
Thanks. That makes sense. Given the ruling was on that specific card, I was worried that two instances of this card had to look at only one.