You Make the Basic Card

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
The flip side of the Mythic Rare land, this thread is to attempt to create "basic" (you can have any number of these in your deck) non-land cards at Common or Uncommon. Such as!

Gideon's Regulars
Basic Creature - Human Soldier [Common]
(You may have any number of cards named Gideon's Regulars in your deck)
2/2
Shy Baloth  
Basic Creature - Beast
Shy Baloth gets -1/-1 for each other creature on the battlefield named Shy Baloth.
(You may have any number of cards named Shy Baloth in your deck)
6/6

worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Spark
Basic Sorcery
(You may have any number of cards named ~ in your deck)
~ deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is 1 plus the number of cards named Spark in your graveyard.
Spark
Basic Sorcery
(You may have any number of cards named ~ in your deck)
~ deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is 1 plus the number of cards named Spark in your graveyard.

farewell kindle.  was nice to know you.
worship the horn
Huh.  Didn't know that existed.  Though it's not strictly worse, since it's an instant and is the number plus 2.  That said, I'll bump it up to 1RR, analogous to Relentless Rats.
Interdict
Basic Instant [Uncommon]
(You may have any number of cards named Interdict in your deck)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays , where X is 1 plus the number of cards named Interdict in your graveyard.
Bountiful Beebles |
Basic Creature - Beeble

(You may have any number of cards named Bountiful Beebles in your deck.)

Bountiful Beebles is can't be blocked by creatures with a power less than the number of creatures named Bountiful Beebles on the battlefield.

2/2
Interdict
Basic Instant [Uncommon]
Counter target spell unless its controller pays , where X is 1 plus the number of cards named Interdict in your graveyard.

did you just make a strictly worse cancel?
worship the horn
Interdict
Basic Instant [Uncommon]

did you just make a strictly worse cancel?

Maaaaaybe.
Faithful Disciple

Basic Creature - Human Cleric
Whenever a creature you control named Faithful Disciple deals combat damage, you gain that much life.
1/3
Ro, Everyday Hero
Basic Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
Grandeur - Discard another card named Ro, Everyday Hero: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
"If not I, then who?"
2/2

Spectral Wolf
Basic Creature - Wolf
Spectral Trihorn's power and toughness are each equal to the number of colors among permanents you control.
A heart with prejudice knows no bounds.
*/* 
Jittery Townsfolk |
Basic Creature - Human
(A deck can have any number of cards named ~.)
Whenever another creature named ~ enters the battlefield under your control and ~ has not entered the battlefield under your control this turn, exile all creatures you control named ~, then return those cards to the battlefield under your control.
"It's odd, the humans seem more scared of each other than they are of us..." - Sorin Markov
1/1

Cheers, vlord.

Edit: Ummm... changed so it isn't so broken...
Is that card supposed to do anything outside of going infinite with another copy of it?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Is that card supposed to do anything outside of going infinite with another copy of it?

Good point, I've changed the card now. Thanks, vlord.
Basic Intuition
() Basic Instant
Cycling
Sometimes the right answer is whatever comes to mind.
Ro, Everyday Hero
Grandeur - Discard another card named Ro, Everyday Hero: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
"If not I, then who?"
2/2

Spectral Wolf
Basic Creature - Wolf
Spectral Trihorn's power and toughness are each equal to the number of colors among permanents you control.
*/* 

I'm going to assume you were tired or sick when you posted this, because the first one is totally hellbroken and the second one has typos up the wazoo.

Stop thanking yourself after every post, it's weird.
Metalmonger -
Artifact Creature - Warrior

A deck may have any number of creatures
named Metalmonger.

Metalmonger's power and toughness are
each equal to the number of cards named
Metalmonger in play.

As an additional cost to play Metalmonger,
pay for each card named Metalmonger
in play.
Ro, Everyday Hero
"If not I, then who?"
2/2

Spectral Wolf
Basic Creature - Wolf
*/* 

I'm going to assume you were tired or sick when you posted this, because the first one is totally hellbroken and the second one has typos up the wazoo.

The first one might be broken. Compared to Wild Mongrel, you can only discard other copies of itself and the Legendary status makes it more difficult to ply many of these while getting other copies out. It could use an activation cost, but I think there's a ton of room for testing it's power. And the second one has a single typo, and one that obviously came from a name change.

Gosh, you're snarky today. :P

A good basic card will use its basicness to impact its play, but it's much too easy and boring to just be self-referential.

Sharpened Stick [X]
Basic Artifact
Sharpened Stick enters the battlefield with X charge counter on it.
When Sharpened Stick enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target player equal to the charge counters on it.
You can't play spells with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Sharpened Stick.
"#1: Pointy."
- Goblin weapon requirements
Metalmonger is strictly better than Memnite.

Formless Sliver

Basic Creature – Sliver
1/1 

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Steam Elemental     :ur::ur:

Creature - Elemental        {U}

Flash
Defender

Steam Elemental can block any number of non-flying creatures.

Whenever Steam Elemental blocks, it gets +X/+0, where X is the total number of creatures attacking.

Attacking creatures that are blocked by Steam Elemental get -X/-0 until end of turn, where X is the total number of creatures attacking.

0/4

no it isn't
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Everthere
Basic Creature-Elemental
When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library or graveyard for another card named Everthere, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle it.
2/2

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

no it isn't

Explain.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Propagator -
Basic Artifact Creature
(A deck may have any number of Propagators in it.)
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, search your library for a card named Propagator and put it onto the battlefield.
2/2 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

no it isn't

Explain.

two metalmonger cost .  two memnite cost .

Best thing to do with metalmonger is to start with leyline of anticipation, then drop your 4-5 metalmongers on the stack.  Fist turn 5x 5/5s isn't too bad.
worship the horn

Two metalmongers are four power worth of creature while two memnites are only two power worth of creaure.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Two metalmongers are four power worth of creature while two memnites are only two power worth of creaure.

but that's not how strictly better cards work
worship the horn
Wandering Knights |
Basic Creature - Human Knight
First Strike, Flanking
2/2
"These knights wander throughout the world searching for a kingdom to save and purpose to be had."
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck

I'm not thanking myself - I'm thanking others for whatever they have done (e.g. Posting a thread). I call it being courteous, but you can call it 'weird' if you want.

no it isn't

Explain.

Best thing to do with metalmonger is to start with leyline of anticipation, then drop your 4-5 metalmongers on the stack.  Fist turn 5x 5/5s isn't too bad.

I was actually thinking the way to go with it would be to use Infinite Reflection to cast some big creature your opponent controls for essentially or Alchemist's Refuge to drop four or five at the end of your opponent's turn.

Yeah... might be a little broken.   maybe? 

I'm sure he's using it like a closing of a letter.

no it isn't

Explain.

memnite 2 costs 0, metalmonger 2 costs 1
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.