Creating a Deck

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm new to Magic: The Gathering. I was brought into the game casually with a group of friends. I decided one day to buy my own Deckbuilder's Toolkit and build my own deck. I ended up creating a semi-descent deck, but I know it can be better. I know building a deck can be very advanced, and I want to take it to the next level. So please give me any advice to building a deck, wether it's choosing a color or deciding the theme of the deck. Thank you.
You'd have better luck in casual part of the forum and giving us a starting deck to tweak would be great as well. Telling you how to build a deck from scrap isnt easy. Choosing the color is also up to you, all colors are good, some colors will simply suit you better, I'm very good with blue (more than half my decks run blue) and I dislike red (got no decks out of 12 with red) each time I make a red deck, I end up changing red for another color lol
I'm new myself. What I did, was think about an ability such as deathtouch, first strike etc and build an entire deck around it. It's a simple idea but seemed to work well for my deck which was based around flying.
New as well. Actually I played in '93/'94. Got back in when I saw they introduced Werewolves. So I'm trying my hand at Lycanthrope decks. Also trying to get back into the hang of Black since that was my main color.
ZERODEGREES:

Do what CONANTHEKING and BUBASTI did. Base your deck on a theme to keep your focus.
Start out with one color and have 22-24 lands (25-26 lands if you play with castingcosts above 3)

That should be the absolute basics.

You will have to play with or against counterspells one day so either make your deck blue or play against someone with blue to learn about that aspect of magic.

CONANTHEKING:

I have had some success in playing with a black deck with deathtouchers only, and it was all made out of commoncards and was played against legacyplayers. You should search through all black deathtouchers to get a better deck than mine. Sideboard should contain a lot of discard. Best creature is stinkweed imp. You may consider adding creatures like carrion feeder and or thoughtpicker witch to respon to cards that attempt to exile the imp. 
definitely pick a theme
but also find a deck/color that fits your playing style.

----------------------- I’m going to TRANSFORM him, and unleash the savage instincts that lie hidden within… . [

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/images/banners/Avenger.jpg)

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

When I first started playing on the tail end of Kamigawa, we had something called theme decks. Theme decks where great as they where pretty good out of the box and provided new players with a good, soild starting point to build off of. My first good deck started out being built from several coppies of the same theme deck + some extra cards. Theme decks where great. Now a days, wizards gives us Intro packs instead of theme decks, which really, really sucks. Intro pack decks, unlike theme decks, are very weak, very vannella and follow the same, creature-focused formula 99% of the time, and are less deck-inspiring as a result. Intro packs are great for obtaining cards, don't get me wrong, but the decks they give you are not good as a whole and the main reason I buy intro packs is to canabalize their parts for my own decks rather then build on the(rather crappy) decks that come in the intro pack.

As for what kind of deck you should build, that is not an easy question to answer. First, you should ask yourself how do you want to play? Do you enjoy summoning big, impressive creatures and overpowring your opponent with them? Perhaps you want to beat down your opponent, but with quick, fast creatures and spells that deal direct damage instead of giant monsters? Mayble you don't want to beatdown at all but instead want to gain control of the game and the board by removing, countering or directly discarding from the hand your opponent's biggest threats so you can finish them off with something nasty? Before you make a deck you should figure out generally how you like to play, and what you enjoy about the game. This will help you pick out what kind of deck you with to play and what colors to choose.

Once you figure that out, you should choose the color or color(s) that best fits that playstyle. While some people here have recomended that you start with a mono-color deck I will advise against that. 2 color decks are better to start off with simply because one color fills in for the weaknesses of the others. Thats not to say that if you really want to play a mono-colored deck that you should not. However, 2-color decks allow you to learn about two different colors at once as well as the importance of your manabase and are generally considered the best starting point for new players. Most important in all of this, however, is that you make a deck that you will have fun playing. This is a game after all, so your deck should be something you like abobe all else.  Anyway, thats just my two cents, take it for what you will.
I've always wanted to build a deck around 1 creature type.
Also, I'm interested in having a card to build around that would either A) utterly destroy, or B) help the rest of my creatures with synergy.
Now if these two strategies could work hand in hand that would be awesome, but I'm not sure if they can. 
I've always wanted to build a deck around 1 creature type.
Also, I'm interested in having a card to build around that would either A) utterly destroy, or B) help the rest of my creatures with synergy.
Now if these two strategies could work hand in hand that would be awesome, but I'm not sure if they can. 

I just finished doing that, I made a vampire deck, it only has 16 spells that aren't creatures and 24 mana. Now I'm working on a zombie deck :D

Vampires are pretty good for BOTH of those. Cards like Rakish Heir, Markov Blademaster and bloodline keeper/lord of lineage go well together while also doing pretty good on their own. Stromkirk Captain also gives them first strike and yet another +1/+1 to make them even stronger, Blood seeker to make the other player lose life without having to risk him attacking, then guul draz vampire once they get less then 10 health gets intimidate so they're good finishers for very low mana.

you are talking about tribal. you can probably google tribal mtg standard.

ones off the top of my head: human, werewolves, angels, there is a red one i don't remember

----------------------- I’m going to TRANSFORM him, and unleash the savage instincts that lie hidden within… . [

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

ones off the top of my head: human, werewolves, angels, there is a red one i don't remember

Are you thinking of Goblins?
i think so

I am White/Green
I am White/Green