UB Zombies (Innistrad block)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For now (I've yet to get a booster box of the Avacyn Restored set / see if there's anything good in it) the following deck only has Innistrad and Dark Ascension sets. Now, I don't normally play ocmpettetive or anything, but there's a few Tourns coming up (mostly for fun and what not) but the catches are, the decks must be within the block.

Anyways, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being worst, 10 being Good Job!) would you guys / gals mind giving me some feedback. Keep in mind I have a budget / not a TON of cards (this came from a booster box of both sets).

Thanks in advance / It's really appreciated;
TheUndeadDwarf

Rise of the Undead

Lands:
6x Island
11x Swamp

Total: 17

Artifacts:
2x Cellar Door

Total: 2

Creatures:
1x Geralf's Mindcrusher
1x Gravecrawler
1x Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
1x Havengul Runebinder
1x Highborn Ghoul
1x Unbreathing Horde
2x Abattoir Ghoul
3x Diegraf Ghoul
3x Sightless Ghoul
4x Black Cat
4x Diregraf Captian
4x Ghoulraiser
4x Walking Corpse

total: 30

Spells/Enchantments:
1x Moan of the Unhallowed
1x Rooftop Storm
1x Zombie Apocalypse
2x Endless Ranks of the Dead
2x Gravepurge
4x Reap the Seagraf

Total: 11

Deck Total: 60
Hi there, first thing I would suggest is adding more removal. As far as I can see your only removal spell is Zombie Apocalypse, and that is situational at best. You need to add in some spot removal like Tragic Slip, Victim of Night possibly, Dead Weight and if you can get your hands on any Sever the Bloodlines. Also i'd say Moan of the Unhallowed is better than Reap the Seagraf so I'd switch the numbers of them around. I'm also not a fan of Cellar Door or Rooftop Storm, they are a bit slow IMO. Highborn Ghoul is better than Walking Corpse aswell, so if you could add/swap more of them it would help. 1 card I don't think pulls its weight is Sightless Ghoul, I just hate this card, and if you can try and replace it with something else it would be beneficial, maybe replace them with more Abattoir Ghouls if you want to keep something elase at the 4-drop slot.

The main problem with Zombies in Block as opposed to mono is the mana base. In standard you have access to 8 copies of dual lands but in Block we're not so lucky, thats why people mainly play mono Zombies in Block. But if you want to stick with , thats fine, but i'd put in a few Evolving Wilds to help out the mana base. I've just realised that you are also only running 17 lands. That isn't nearly enough. I'd recommend running 23 minimum as you have a couple of high mana cost cards, if you cut those you could go to 22 lands i suppose, as your overall curve isn't that high.

The best card Zombies have in their arsenal i'd say is Geralf's Messenger, however he is rather expensive and hard to acquire. Same goes for Gravecrawler, I see you have 1 copy which is good but if possible I'd increase the number, but I understand if you can't because these 2 cards are tough to get your hands on. 1 rare that should't be too tough to get hold of is Skirsdag High Priest he's not a Zombie but he's an excellent 2-drop that alot of Zombie decks have had alot of success with.

I'm sure there's alot more other people could help you with, but I hope this helps.

P.S Good luck in your upcoming tourneys.
Rise of the Undead (Edit 1)

Lands:
6x Island
13x Swamp
4x Evolving Wilds

Total: 23

Creatures:
1x Geralf's Mindcrusher
1x Gravecrawler
1x Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
1x Havengul Runebinder
1x Unbreathing Horde
2x Abattoir Ghoul
3x Diegraf Ghoul
4x Diregraf Captian
4x Ghoulraiser
4x Highborn Ghoul
4x Walking Corpse

total: 26

Spells/Enchantments:
1x Zombie Apocalypse
2x Endless Ranks of the Dead
2x Gravepurge
3x Dead Weight
3x Reap the Seagraf

Total: 11

Deck Total: 60

I'm sure there's alot more other people could help you with, but I hope this helps.

P.S Good luck in your upcoming tourneys.

Thanks for the reply, I've done some edits (hopefully you can tell XD I'll likely do more).

Also, 1 out of the 5 tourns I plan on going to are finished now, and with the before editted deck, I came in 5th out of 20. Pretty happy with that result. Winner was a wellmade werewolf deck. Second place was a Black White human/vampire deck, third was a flashback deck, and fourth was a Green powerhouse.