Mono White: Let's Assess Some Options

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so I'm challenging myself to make a half-decent Mono White in standard. I don't need anything hyper competitive for tournaments or anything, just something that can hold its own in casual standard games; for both one on one and multiplayer.

So here's what I was originally thinking:

4xDoomed Traveler 
4xChampion of The Parish  
4xMikaeus, the Lunarch  
4xMirran Crusader  
4xRiders of Gavony

4xFaith's Shield
4xSilver-Inlaid Dagger   
4xGather the Townsfolk  
4xHonor of the Pure  
4xDivine Deflection 

20xplains

As far as I'm concerned it looks good on paper, but I can already see several problems. I'm extremely concerned with the land base. A 3 cost, a 4 cost, and two (X) costs with only 20 lands? I can see problems already. But whenever I try to bump up to 24 I seem to only draw lands. Any number in between makes me uncomfortable, I prefer to have an even number of lands to make an easy pattern when I mana weave.

Other than that I'm conflicted on several options. silverblade paladin or mirran crusader? Crusader is better by itself, but the Paladin has potential for massive damage. Crusader's protection is potientially a game winner, but only against the right colors.

That and what about removal? oblivion Ring seems to be my best option but another 3 cost with 20 lands? What do I take out?

Then there's Riders of Gavony vs Restoration Angel. Riders are only real human synergy here - potentially devastating if they remain on the field, depending on the opponent. The Angel is much more well rounded though, offering air support and potentially saving a creature, making an opponent waste a spell.

Those are just my initial thoughts.

Ok, so with all than in mind, round two: 

4xDoomed Traveler 
4xChampion of The Parish  
4xMikaeus, the Lunarch  
4xSilverblade Paladin  
4xRestoration Angel

4xFaith's Shield
4xSilver-Inlaid Dagger   
4xGather the Townsfolk    
4xDivine Deflection 

4xGhost Quarter
20xplains

So let's see. This is if we were to drop the crusaders for the Paladins and the Riders for the Angels. Took out Honor of the pure for a playset of Ghost Quarter, because I prefer Mikaeus much over Honor of the pure and I'm not sure if I'm using enough creatures/tokens to justify both of them.

So, the obvious issue the deck still has is no removal. Other than that I may be swamped with too much land which will only be beinficial for Mikaeus and Divine Deflection. What should I take out for the O-ring? What about fiend hunter

------------------------------------

So, of the two, which do you like better? What would you do differently? What other cards should I seriously consider? Do you have a better mono-white decklist you'd like to share? What do you think about my thoughts/comments above?

Please, I want to hear all thoughts on this. I know it's just mono white but for the first time since Soul Sisters rolled out of standard I feel like I have the cards to make a half decent white deck that's well-rounded.
Mostly human mono-white decks should include at least one Angel of Glory's Rise at least on a sidebar.  Incase you run into a pesky zombie sac and/or mill deck.  Getting all those weak humans back on the battlefield will win games.   Also Grand Abolisher is not only stupid cheap (in terms of mana cost) but also stupidly awesome.

-NW
-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
Try this:

19 Plains
3 Cavern of Souls

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Doomed Traveller
2 Elite Vanguard
3 Thalia, Hero of Thraben (Important!)
3 Elite Inquisitor
4 Mirran Crusader/Silverblade Paladin
1 Fiend Hunter
4 Hero of Bladehold

4 Gather the Townsfolk
4 Honor of the Pure
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Angelic Destiny
I like indy's list, but need to say two things:

First,  that slot needs to be Silverblade.  He just does too much for the strategy to be avoided.

Second, Fiend Hunter is really good against so many things.  I'd definitely consider trying to squeeze one or two more in there. 
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.
I like indy's list, but need to say two things:

First,  that slot needs to be Silverblade.  He just does too much for the strategy to be avoided.

Second, Fiend Hunter is really good against so many things.  I'd definitely consider trying to squeeze one or two more in there. 

I would lean to Silverblade Paladin too, but he's not as good by himself; in a red-heavy metagame, for instance, burning the Silverblade in mid-combat can just be totally devastating. A format full of Strangleroots and Huntmasters might favour Mirran Crusader too.

Fiend Hunter is not as good in Standard as in block. He tends to just die at inopportune times or when a Day of Judgment resolves, which can brutalise you. I wouldn't be opposed to SBing a couple more for Aggro matchups, though. 
I started running mono-white humans (light splash of red for Slayers Stronghold) and it has run well. Here is the list:
4 Honor the Pure
2 Day of Judgment
2 Oblivion Ring
4 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Sword of Body and Mind
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
4 Mirran Cruaader
4 Doomed Traveler
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Elite Inquisitor
3 Grand Abolisher
2 Fiend Hunter
2 Hero of Bladehold
2 Mountain
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Slayer's Stronghold
16 Plains

2 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Celestial Purge
2 Torpor Orb
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Witchbane Orb
2 Stony Silence
2 Revoke Existence
I started running mono-white humans (light splash of red for Slayers Stronghold) and it has run well. Here is the list:
4 Honor the Pure
2 Day of Judgment
2 Oblivion Ring
4 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Sword of Body and Mind
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
4 Mirran Cruaader
4 Doomed Traveler
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Elite Inquisitor
3 Grand Abolisher
2 Fiend Hunter
2 Hero of Bladehold
2 Mountain
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Slayer's Stronghold
16 Plains

2 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Celestial Purge
2 Torpor Orb
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Witchbane Orb
2 Stony Silence
2 Revoke Existence

I have beaten G/R aggro, Wolf Run, Bant Pod, and Esper Control with this list. My only match losses were close games to U/B control and Naya Pod where if I saw a single one of my board cards I would have won.
There is essentially no card in the format worse for you to run than Day of Judgment.
The Days usually get boarded out, but they have come in handy before. I've been wanting to put lightning maulers in, but I'm iffy with the mana base since I only have 1 Cavern of Souls.
Ok, so no one likes Mikaeus, the lunarch? Lots of suggested lists with Honor of the Pure and not him. I guess I was thinking that he's slower (by a turn) but more versitile. But I guess he's no good for creatures that come into play after he's put counter(s) on creatures already.

So scratch Mikaeus, use Honor. Done.

Grand Abolisher eh? I just played a game where my opponent had him out and it completely foobed me over. I'm sold. ? Not so much. Comparing the two together the Abolisher is much better rounded for what I want/need. I'm not debating how good Thalia is in a competitive setting. But for casual one on one and multiplayer games I don't think she'll acomplish anything other than pissing my opponents off.

silverblade paladin vs mirran crusader. For now I'm going to try out the paladin. The potential to strike with a double-strike creature the turn he comes out interests me. More vunerable? Yes. But potentially more damage.

No one interested in restoration angel? No, she's not a human - but the only synergy I got going here is champion of the parish. And if I flicker another human that'll trigger anyways. 

As far as oblivion ring and fiend hunter I choose oblivion anyday. I've tried the hunter and hunter over and over but he's just too damned vunerable. Protecting their creature and giving it back to them from a day of judgment is devastating.

Hero of Bladehold is an obvious improvement. I wanted to try [c]Riders of Gavony[c] instead for the time being - just to see how it plays out. For the same reason I'm interested in the silverblade paladin over mirran crusader. If I drop Riders they can potentially give me an advantage the turn they come out, not later.

22 lands seems to be the consensus. Done.

What do people think about the silver-inlaid dagger? No comments to far so I'll take it out for now.

I can run some angelic destiny if I have abolishers in the deck - makes me feel like it's less vunerable.

4x[c]Doomed Traveler[/c]
4xChampion of the Parish 
4xGrand Abolisher  
4xSilverblade Paladin (or mirran crusader if they don't work out)
4x[c]Riders of Gavony[/c] (or Hero of Bladehold if they don't work out)

4xGather the Townsfolk 
4x[c]Honor of the Pure[/c] 
4xOblivion Ring 
4xDivine Deflection
2xAngelic Destiny 

4xGhost Quarter
18xplains

Alriight, so how is this looking? Any better than what I had up before atleast?

EDIT: Sorry my decklist looks like swiss cheese. I've tried editing to fix the links and what not but they all stay the same. I don't know what's wrong.
Honor the Pure is definitely the must for mono-white since all your creatures get a boost. I prefer to keep my mana-curve lower, so I'm not sure you need 4 Heroes if Bladehold/Riders of Gavony. I like Mirran Crusader over Silverblade just because of all the green prevalent in my meta. It looks like Silverblade could only give a Champion, Abolisher (dont do this), or a smaller guy double strike amd an opponent could easily chump-block them or burn down the Silverblade, leaving your other creature vulnerable. As for the dagger, I'm not the biggest fan. +3/+0 doesnt matter if he's not getting through. Angel is a bit slow for the deck. Angelic Destiny is pretty amazing though so definitely go with that. I'd use them if I had them.
I prefer Silverblade Paladin over Mirrin Crusader.  Crusader has protection from black and green, not red.  He is burnt away just as easy as the Paladin.  I'd keep him in the sideboard, since obviously he is better if you are playing green or black.
I've tested this one a lot and found it to be very effective.

4x Cavern of Souls (the deck is mostly human with a couple angels)
13x Plains
4x Isolated Chapel
2x Vault of the Archangel

4x Champion of the Parish
1x Grand Abolisher
4x Thraben Doomsayer
3x Silverblade Paladin
2x Fiend Hunter
1x Mikeus the Lunarch
1x Goldknight Commander
1x Angelic Overseer
1x Angel of Glorys Rise

4x Honor of the Pure
4x Gather the Townfolk
2x Oblivion Ring
2x Cloudshift
2x Angelic Destiny
2x Spirit Mantle
1x increasing Devotion
1x Entreat the Angels
1x Terminus

that comes to 60 cards. sUbstitute 2 spirit mantle for the Mikeus and the Overseer if you want more evasion. Sideboard as needed for you local meta. Ratchet Bomb, Timely Reinforcements, Swords of ...... , Grafdiggers would be some likely candidates in any.

try it youwill see what I mean