Favorite: Broken card

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
For this weeks favorite I want to ask...

What is your favorite broken card?

Me, I gotta go with Skullclamp.  That card is just nuts and I love using it whenever I can.

Discuss! 
Balance. Pretty much no card generates card advantage in so many diverse ways with a single casting. I have seen it devastate a six-way game when the caster was drawing badly; everyone sac'd down to no creatures and one land (someone had a Helm of Awakening on the board), and the caster only had to discard two additional cards. All in all, at least 35 permanents (probably more) left the board. It was glorious... Or at least, it was from where I sat, seeing as I was the one who dropped it. I'm pretty sure everyone else was slightly taken aback, at the least.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I also would say Balance I've made people rage quit over it.

<----- Loser.

None.
I like to break cards, not use the ones that are already broken. That's boring.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I'm fond of Timetwistering over and over again.  Drives them nuts I tell ya.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
Totally Broken: Tolarian Academy
Mostly Broken: Necropotence
Only somewhat Broken: Dismember

- Cheers, - Dan R. (lv1 magic judge, Advanced organizer) http://butlerwpn.blogspot.com, my rather basic event blog.

Can't go wrong with a good Yawgmoth's Will.  It's got "win" right there in the nickname.
I cannot differentiate between Tolarian Academy, Survival of the Fittest and Recurring Nightmare. All three have brought me bucketloads of awesome (and in SotF and Nightmare's cases, often together at the same time).
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Got to be YawgWin for me.  out of all the legendarily broken cards, it's the one that leads to the most options itself -- many broken cards are broken due to simply generating massive mana or easily going infinite (Academy, all the nonblue entries on the p9) but Yawgwin actually does something, and a something that I can use in ways that aren't too horrible for my firends to ever play the deck including them again.  Though, looking at the other suggestions, Survival and Nightmare seem fun too.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
In theory, my favorite borken card should probably be [C]Tinker[/C], because I just loves me some artifacts so much. However, 'tis sadly banned in my favorite format, EDH, so my lone copy doesn't see much use these days. 

For reals, it's probably [C]Phyrexian Altar[/C], although I don't know whether or not many people truly consider this a broken card. I found one copy of this  for not too steep a price tage at a local shop, and put it into my [C]Ghave, Guru of Spores[/C] deck, where it has become one of the prime sac outlets / combo enablers.  
Arcbound Ravager

I wasn't playing during Mirrodin block, and stumbled across this in the search for "What fun things can I do with Minion Reflector?" 
For reals, it's probably [C]Phyrexian Altar[/C], although I don't know whether or not many people truly consider this a broken card. I found one copy of this  for not too steep a price tage at a local shop, and put it into my [C]Ghave, Guru of Spores[/C] deck, where it has become one of the prime sac outlets / combo enablers.  

Unless you need it for color fixing, you're probably better off with Ashnod's Altar.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

There have been so many of my favorite cards mentioned here, it brings a tear of joy to my eyes.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
what exactly causes a card to be considered broken?

Unless you need it for color fixing, you're probably better off with Ashnod's Altar.

The color fixing has been helpful in the past; however  now that I have been made aware of the existance of this card I see no reason why I shouldn't run both...
what exactly causes a card to be considered broken?

A card is broken if it is game-warpingly powerful. In competitive circles, this means that to be truly competitive, you must either use it, or your deck must be able to stop it.

If Necropotence is allowed to resolve, and you do not destroy it or kill them on your next turn, they will draw upwards of 10 or 12 cards and win the game.

If Tinker is allowed to resolve, you will have been hit in the face with a Blightsteel Colossus, for 3 mana. 

Basically, when a card wins the game at virtually no cost (little mana, time, and/or card investment), or enables other cards to do so easily, it is broken. 

As for my favorite broken card, even though it isn't the most broken card there is, I have to say Necro. It's my favorite card in the game, and I think my next closest contenders in terms of TEHSUPERBORKEN would be Hermit Druid, Balance, and Trinisphere.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Day of Judgment / Wrath of God / et cetera.

The entire game is warped around the fact that you CANNOT have three or more creatures in play IF your opponent can cast it -- unless you have multiple counterspells in hand (blue) or the creatures can be regenerated easily (black and green).

I generally despise all the (...) "Destroy all [insert card type here]" cards.
For many of the decks running the "Wraths", they basicly read:
: Destroy all creatures target player controls.

For decks built around Day of Judgment / Wrath of God, a " : Destroy two target creatures" would be inferior.

Where is the "All player discards all the cards in his or her hand" card costing ?
Where is the "~ deals damage to all players equal to half of that player's life total" costing ?
And the "Return all creatures to their owners hands" costing :2:?

All are counterable in numerous ways.
Just like "Just don't play creatures unless you're sure he doesn't have day of judgment or you don't lose more from him casting it" -- you can say "just make sure you have life-gain" and "cast most of your hand before turn 4, it's not that hard!"

Oh well.
Tinker comes in third.

Island in secobnd.
Sweepers are a form of catch-up effect. They encourage good game play (and not "cast everything I can immediately"). They're not in any way broken.

Can you elaborate WHY sweepers are good for the game?

The way I see it, they allow for sloppy deckbuilding and decks entirely without creatures that don't interact with the other player at all.

People are sitting watching their own cards, giving the opponent's game a glance, sweep.
Sweep is worse than counterspell in my opinion.
Can you elaborate WHY sweepers are good for the game?

The way I see it, they allow for sloppy deckbuilding and decks entirely without creatures that don't interact with the other player at all.

People are sitting watching their own cards, giving the opponent's game a glance, sweep.

It introduces a new layer of strategy: level of committment to the board. If those "sloppy" decks are winning, it's because the opponents are overcommitting - dumping their hand on to the board as fast as possible, getting it all swept away, and then playing off the top. It's their own fault, really.

Good creature-heavy decks, especially those with higher mana curves, usually run sweepers themselves. They will lose 1-2 of their own creatures to kill 3-4 of their opponents, negating the board advantage, and then start casting the other creatures they've been holding back in their hand. It's a good cat-n-mouse game.

If you can't recover from a sweeper or two, you're playing wrong. (3 is asking a bit much.) 

They don't encourage sloppy deckbuilding, they punish sloppy play. Go ahead, drop a bunch of critters. Yeah, I take 12 damage. Yes, I'm in low single digits. WoG. Yeah, you over-extended. I just punished you for it. Cry me a river.

Sweepers and counters are both VERY interactive. If you don't understand that than my guess would be that you think all interaction must be creature based.

You want to see non-interaction? Watch a Storm deck being played.

Where is the "All player discards all the cards in his or her hand" card costing ?

Mindslicer.

Where is the "~ deals damage to all players equal to half of that player's life total" costing ?

Heartless Hidetsugu.  3RR, whatever.  It's repeatable.

And the "Return all creatures to their owners hands" costing :2:?

Evacuation.  It costs 3UU, but it's an instant, so sue me.

Wrath of God is so not broken.  Not even close.  I actually can't believe I'm seeing that phrase written down.  It's...kinda like somebody saying "Krosan Cloudscraper is so broken, he ruins the entire game just by existing in the cardpool, how do you beat a 13/13?".  It just doesn't even register in my mind.

As to the topic at hand, it's gotta be Yawgmoth's Bargain or Necropotence.  With some cards, like Tinker, you KNOW you're kinda cheating when you play it, but in the end all you're doing is slamming down some fat artifact for cheap.  When you're holding 15+ cards in your grip, you know you're cheating.

But you can use your opponents spells to up your storm count!

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I don't think Necropotence is so broken, in and of itself. In a proper deck meant to make use of it? Sure, it can really be a threat. But having a way to punish someone for filling up their hand might work . . . or simply allowing them to spend the life and then dropping an enchantment removal on Necropotence? I know that's how I'd handle it in a deck where I could do that. There's enough enchantment removal around you can probably deal with it after they pay life.

Balance, ummm, yeah that was always pretty harsh but like all sweeping cards it can be handled if you are careful. I know that's how I dealt with it back in the day. (I still have one of those cards, mind you.)

Tolarian Academy + Mirrodin = "oh god make it stop".

Skullclamp = "I draw"

I had an old Arcbound deck which used Arcbound Crusher + Cranial Plating to "excellent" effect. My brother revived it recently using Urza's Lands and Artifact Lands for mana. One Trepanation Blade later and he never plays it around me again.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Or a Limited Resources deck in Multiplayer.
Or a deck that recurses Time Stretch.

The horror... the horror...

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I don't think Necropotence is so broken, in and of itself. In a proper deck meant to make use of it? Sure, it can really be a threat. But having a way to punish someone for filling up their hand might work . . . or simply allowing them to spend the life and then dropping an enchantment removal on Necropotence? I know that's how I'd handle it in a deck where I could do that. There's enough enchantment removal around you can probably deal with it after they pay life.

That doesn't work, they still get to draw the cards.  Necropotence sets up a delayed trigger when you pay the life; if you want to stop the draws you need a bunch of Stifle effects.  Disenchanting the Necro just lets the cards I discard go to the graveyard, and lets me draw another card for free in my next turn.
My favorite broken card, got to be Time walk
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Mind Twist is fun!
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Wild Nacatl, apparently.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

There are way too many broken cards to list them all so I will list my top two non-mentioned cards relentless rats and vedalken shackles
Dream Halls is my favourite.
Black Lotus  I have used these to win so many games.  idk if I would consider it broken though because it's it great condition