05/14/2012 Draft Simulator

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Hard to argue against P1P1 Grave Titan, even with a fireball in the pack.

UB is probably the correct color combination but I think there was enough reason to stay in monoblack (albeit I might have been tempted to splash the Mind Control):

And this is the monoblack deck I would have run based on my picks:

Creatures (14)
1 x Grave Titan
1 x Adaptive Automaton
1 x Onyx Mage
2 x Blood Seeker
2 x Drifting Shade
1 x Gravedigger
1 x Child of Night
2 x Sengir Vampire
2 x Warpath Ghoul
1 x Zombie Goliath

Spells (8):
2 x Wring Flesh
1 x Consume Spirit
1 x Disentomb
1 x Diabolic Tutor
1 x Sorin's Thirst
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Brink of Disaster

18 x swamp

Notable Sideboard Cards
1 x Distress
2 x Dark Favor
1 x Deathmark
1 x Duskhunter Bat
1 x Visions of Beyond
2 x Tormented Soul
1 x Drowned Catacomb
1 x Aven Fleetwing
1 x Mind Control
1 x Brink of Disaster
1 x Mind Rot
1 x Hideous Visage
1 x Zombie Infestation

[sblock Draft]Round 1:
Grave Titan
Adaptive Automaton
Onyx Mage
Blood Seeker
Wring Flesh
Consume Spirit
Drifting Shade
Wring Flesh
Devouring Swarm
Rampant Growth
Blood Seeker
Gladecover Scout
Dark Favor
Taste of Blood
Forest

Round 2:
Bloodrage Vampire
Tormented Soul
Diabolic Tutor
Sengir Vampire
Duskhunter Bat
Blood Seeker
Scepter of Empires
Sorin's Thirst
Titanic Growth
Plummet
Drowned Catacomb
Aven Fleetwing
Jace's Erasure
Taste of Blood
Forest

Round 3:
Greatsword
Swiftfoot Boots
Tormented Soul
Doom Blade
Carnage Wurm
Llanowar Elves
Zombie Goliath
Blood Ogre
Mind Rot
Hideous Visage
Brink of Disaster
Dark Favor
Dragonskull Summit
Flight
Mountain
[/sblock]

DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (17)
3 x Forest
14 x Swamp

CREATURES (13)
2 x Tormented Soul
3 x Blood Seeker
1 x Onyx Mage
1 x Duskhunter Bat
1 x Bloodrage Vampire
1 x Devouring Swarm
1 x Drifting Shade
1 x Sengir Vampire
1 x Grave Titan
1 x Carnage Wurm

OTHER SPELLS (10)
1 x Wring Flesh
2 x Dark Favor
1 x Doom Blade
1 x Sorin's Thirst
1 x Consume Spirit
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Greatsword
1 x Scepter of Empires
1 x Diabolic Tutor

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
1 x Wring Flesh
1 x Mind Rot
1 x Plummet
1 x Titanic Growth
1 x Hideous Visage

[sblock Mana Curve]Creatures
1cc - 2
2cc - 5
3cc - 2
4cc - 1
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 1

Other Spells
1cc - 1
2cc - 6
3cc - 2
4cc - 1
5cc - 0
6cc - 0
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 3
2cc - 11
3cc - 4
4cc - 2
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 1[/sblock]

It was tough to pull Doom Blade of a Sengir, but I already had 1 Sengir and needed more removal.  I pulled Adaptive Automaton early hoping I could make a zombie deck, with the Titan, but that didn't work out.  I was originally thinking of BG, but didn't see enough good green.  I almost went mono-black, but decided the Wurm was worth putting in, and it also allows me to use Plummet and Titanic Growth if needed.  The curve has a low peak, but should be effective enough to last late game if it goes that far.  Should win most matchup.
Griffyn, a few thoughts.

Scepter of Empires is pretty much unplayable (outside of the dream of all 3 empire cards).  It might, just, have a home in an all out bloodthirst deck but even then I wouldn't play it.

I think the inclusion of the Green here is unnecessary, you have 3 black finishers (Shade, Sengir and Titan) and I think the cost of the 3 land slots for one green card is not right (don't get me wrong, Carnage Wurm is good but it is not so good as to have to include - if this was a Fireball or something then I would agree with including it).

Generally, when you first pick a bomb creature like Titan you want some way to get it back if it goes into the graveyard (dispelled, discarded or just plain killed).  There were a lot of Gravediggers running around and you should have prioritised picking these even over cards that might be stronger in a vacuum.  Also, after second picking the automaton, zombies (the most prevalent black card especially when you make two with the Titan) should have been rated higher.  Neither Warpath Ghoul or Zombie Goliath are great cards (nothing wrong with them) but if you suddenly have Warpath's as 4/3's for 3 mana then that is something pretty good.  Incidentally with 5 vampires and 3 spirits I may have included it anyway.

I guess there are two drafting points to note from this (sorry if this sounds condescending it is not meant to be and is designed to be helpful).

1) The strength of some cards will vary quite dramatically depending on what you have picked before.  Gravediggers are a good example of this.  In a deck with a bomb creature, you want to pick these early to get back the bomb.  You also want to do this when you have any creature that has a useful ETB (enters the battlefield) ability.  For example, gravedigging a Borderland Ranger is generally going to be much better for you than digging up a Gray Ogre

2) Work out what type of deck you are drafting.  Without being too general, there are: aggro (lots of 2 and 3 mana aggressive creatures), mid-range (lots of efficient 3-5 mana creatures), bomb decks (decks that tend to win when playing their signature card), combo decks (decks that win when pulling out their combo).  Cards that are good in aggro (tormented soul for example) are not necessarily good in a combo deck. 

Your deck is a mid-range/bomb deck, it has amazing late game finishers in Drifting Shade and Grave Titan (and to a lesser extent Sengir), it has a way to find those creatures (Diabolic Tutor) and enough removal and cheap creatures to keep you alive until you hit those finishers.  However, your deck also runs 4 cards that are specifically geared towards aggro (two tormented souls and two dark favors).  Dark favor is great when you want to kill your opponent before he lands a great card.  In a bloodthirst deck I think there is definately a place for these cards but in your deck it may not help too much.

Let's take the following example:

Opening Hand 3xSwamps, Tormented Soul, Dark Favour, Great Sword and Sengir Vampire

Turn 1 Swamp - Tormented Soul
Turn 2 Swamp - Dark Favour (hit for 4)
Turn 3 Swamp - Great Sword (hit for 4)
Turn 4 your opponent removes Tormented Sould (not difficult for a card with only 2 toughness)

Although you have your opponent down to 12, you now have zero board position (depending on what you drew of course).  If instead the Dark Favour had been, say, a Warpath Ghoul (or other vanilla creature) you have got in 2 damage instead of 8 but have two creatures to wield the greatsword so if your opponent removes one (lets say the Ghoul) you have a 4/1 wielding Tormented Soul and your opponent needs another removal spell.

Compare to an aggro deck of 2xSwamps, 1 Mountain, Dark Favour, Tormented Soul, Blood Ogre, Great Sword (so I've just changed a mid range creature for aggro).

Turn 3 your opponent is on 12 and you a 3/3 first striking ogre.  Whichever one your opponent kills you are still probably taking them to 8/9 next turn with the potential to take them to 3 the turn after.  Given that aggro decks run lots of burn to do the last points of damage this should be enough to sit back and wait for your incinerate,outrage etc.
Falcon_Uk, I also got something out of your post, keep it up and thanks =p
Mono-B baby!  P3p4 was sooooo hard Sengir Vampire vs. Doom Blade.  In the end I took the vampire b/c at the very least the doom blade is a dead card against me.

Man am I glad I wasn't fighting for red.  5 red drafters at the table. XD  And only 1 other Black drafter =D

Thought about B/g for a while then decided I was getting so much good black that I'd just stick mono-B.

Round 1:
Grave Titan guess I'm playing black.  Hard to pass that fireball and dragon, but you gotta take the titan. Almost didn't even notice the Gideon's Lawkeeper here too.  Obscenely powerful pack.
Goblin Arsonist As far as I know I'm only going to be cut off from red in one direction.  In the end I don't think it matters, the rest was "meh" too.  I suppose I could have rare drafted.
Onyx Mage not a too difficult choice between the mage and the blood seeker.  drifting shade wasn't on my radar yet...not enough black to guarantee usefulness.
Lure hm...B/G perhaps?
Wring Flesh removal (and the green wasn't that great)
Sorin's Thirst I decided to play it safe here and not take the Consume Spirit b/c I didn't know at this point if I'd have enough black to play it.  If I'd had this choice in pack 2 or 3 I'd have taken the X-cost card.
Drifting Shade better than the green
Wring Flesh removal
Devouring Swarm ooh, flying
Rampant Growthcolor fixins
Blood Seeker from the pack with the onyx mage
Gladecover Scout whatevs
Dark Favor whatevs (I think this might actually get used with the amount of evasion I have though...)
Taste of Blood whatevs
Forest whatevs

Round 2:
Sacred Wolf meh pack.
Child of Night i'm not playing bloodthirst so this beat out the Tormented Soul.
Vastwood Gorger splash for fatty?  I don't have any bombs outside of titan yet (well...I didn't count the shade as a bomb yet b/c I didn't know I COULD go mono-B yet)
Sengir Vampire Why hello there. Yoink.
Duskhunter Bat Bloodthirst or no, this is very good.
Blood Seeker sure, seems decent.
Drifting Shade At the very least I know I can go heavy black so he's good.
Sorin's Thirst sweet.
Bloodrage Vampire whatevs
Tormented Soulit wheeled from the pack with the child of night.  sweet.
Diabolic Tutor find that titan!
Devouring Swarm moar black fliers
Jace's Erasure whatevs
Taste of Blood whatevs
Forest whatevs

Round 3:
Mind Control hate pick.
Overrun hate pick.  tormented soul and swiftfoot boots aren't worth denying a heavy green player their finisher.  I don't think I could splash this...
Arachnus Web oh look there goes another tormented soul...
Sengir Vampire This is the pack where I decided to go mono-B.  Tough choice but blade is blank against me and I have plenty of removal already so...
Drifting Shade awwww yeaaaah
Warpath Ghoul not bad, but not great either
Zombie Goliath see above
Brink of Disaster looking over my other non-creature cards this would actually go in.  And the Thran Golem wouldn't.  I only have 1 aura so far...
Cancel nothing for me so hate pick.
Frost Breath see above
Tormented Soul from the pack with the arachnus web earlier
Dark Favor the funny thing is this might actually make it into the deck...
Dragonskull Summit dual land vs. crap uncommon?  decisions decisions.
Flight whatevs.
Mountain whatevs

Creatures (15+1)

Non-Creatures (7)
[deck]
2x Wring Flesh
1x Dark Favor
2x Sorin's Thirst
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Brink of Disaster
[/deck]

Lands
[deck]
17x Swamp
[/deck]

Creatures 16
1-2
2-5
3-2
4-3
5-3
6-1

Non-Creatures 7
1-2
2-3
3-0
4-2
5-0
6-0

Total 23
1-4
2-8
3-2
4-5
5-3
6-1

Beautiful curve, lots of removal, awesome bombs, absolutely no color problems.  What's not to like?

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Round 3:
Mind Control
Swiftfoot Boots
Tormented Soul
Doom Blade

Falcon_Uk, could you explain your reasoning for picking doom blade over sengir vampire?
I have in my post above listed my explanations for my cards and I'm curious what puts the doom blade over the vampire for you.

I know removal is key and that Doom Blade is considered the best common in limited, but I'd like to hear your take on it vs this evasive bomb.

Feel free to make other comments on my selections if you like, but what I'm mainly curious about is P3p4 selection.

Thanks.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

Well, somebody has to see how the draft goes if you take the Fireball:

Round 1:
Fireball
Goblin Arsonist
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Phantasmal Bear
Garruk's Companion
Stormblood Berserker
Mana Leak
Rampant Growth
Runeclaw Bear
Rampant Growth
Circle of Flame
Pride Guardian
Dark Favor
Swamp
Forest

Round 2:
Garruk's Companion
Garruk's Companion
Rampant Growth
Goblin Fireslinger
Lava Axe
Goblin Tunneler
Brindle Boar
Frost Breath
Titanic Growth
Plummet
Fling
Aven Fleetwing
Swamp
Island
Forest

Round 3:
Arachnus Web
Overrun
Arachnus Web
Doom Blade
Dragonskull Summit
Lurking Crocodile
Brindle Boar
Blood Ogre
Runeclaw Bear
Goblin Tunneler
Reclaim
Unsummon
Warpath Ghoul
Flight
Mountain

It's not great. Of course, my waffling between green and blue as my second colour didn't help anything, but I don't think there was a great deck to be had there. Was the AI hardcoded not to take black or something? Even without me cutting off the black in pack 2, I still had my choice of Doom Blade and Sengir Vampire on pick four of pack three. (Plus Sorin's Thirst in there too.)

I decided black-green ramp. A titan, three rampant growths, two lanowar elves, lots of removal, and ways to reclaim it. Early ways to cast the titan and then dominate. Carnage wurm is fun and we even have overrun and several creatures to pressure the opponent early.

Round 3:
Mind Control
Swiftfoot Boots
Tormented Soul
Doom Blade

Falcon_Uk, could you explain your reasoning for picking doom blade over sengir vampire?
I have in my post above listed my explanations for my cards and I'm curious what puts the doom blade over the vampire for you.

I know removal is key and that Doom Blade is considered the best common in limited, but I'd like to hear your take on it vs this evasive bomb.

Feel free to make other comments on my selections if you like, but what I'm mainly curious about is P3p4 selection.

Thanks.

I hope Falcon doesn't mind if I leap in here. I also drafted monoblack and had the same choice.

I instinctively took the vampire over the doom blade, but then immediately regretted it (if I could, I would have taken it back - but such is the finality of clicking). Granted the vampire is a bit of bomb sometimes, and even more playable for each wring flesh you possess (allowing you to kill, say, another sengir in combat) but I already have a sengir and a grave titan, a beefy 5 drop zombie, and two drifting shades that like to suck up mana. That diminishes the value of a second sengir and increases the value of early removal. Put it another way, if your deck doesn't get going until turn 5, you had better hope you can deal with threats turns 1-3.

Also, by being in monoblack you are less likely to encounter other black creatures, which means doom blade is almost always a "kill target creature" spell.

Falcon made the right call.

Thanks.

Of course, this is an excellent question and it was not an easy pick.  Highwayman has already summed up much of what I would say but I have set out my reasons when considering this pick.

By this stage in the draft, I have 4 finishers (2xDrifting Shade, Sengir and Titan), a way to tutor for them (which is effectively another finisher) and even ways to bring my guys back from the dead (or redead or whatever it is that dead things do).  I also have Consume Spirit as a back up plan if I end up flooding on mana (although not a plan I really want to rely on).  Generally 3-4 finishers (especially with recursion) is enough for a mid-range/bomb deck and I already have more than this

In contrast, I have very limited removal.  Consume Spirit is very good in mono black but Wring Flesh and Sorin's Thirst both only deal with small creatures (or slightly bigger creatures in conjunction with combat etc).  Doom Blade kills everything from a thirsty Blood Ogre to a mighty Sun Titan and while it doesn't deal with black, I have never ever had a draft where two people have ended up mono in the same colour (and given just how strong my black is the chances of anyone having another mono black deck anywhere near as powerful is very, very remote) so it is unlikely to be a dead draw for me.  So, again, this was about looking at my deck and seeing what I needed.  I am going to win nearly any game that goes long unless my opponent has some sort of ridiculous bomb (like a Sun Titan).  Having a way to deal with that bomb (and even a way to tutor for my removal) makes my deck much more consistent than adding a 5th (or 6th or 7th) finisher.

Hope this helps

There is a first for everything Wink

Alright well, when I saw grave titan, I said "It's gonna be a black deck.", so once I saw mana ramp opportunitiesI picked land after land. After many picks, I started taking blue and white just for tech. Many colors plus hideous visage = good since they don't want to die. In all honesty it turned out to be a B/G deck.

Round 1:
Grave Titan
Spirit Mantle
Forest
Island
Plains
Swamp
Forest
Rampant Growth
Plains
Ponder
Stonehorn Dignitary
Gladecover Scout
Hunter's Insight
Reclaim
Wurm's Tooth

Round 2:
Plains
Buried Ruin
Drowned Catacomb
Swamp
Swamp
Hideous Visage
Brindle Boar
Swamp
Titanic Growth
Doubling Chant
Rampant Growth
Stormfront Pegasus
Demystify
Island
Forest

Round 3:
Ponder
Hideous Visage
Forest
Doom Blade
Warpath Ghoul
Runeclaw Bear
Gladecover Scout
Greater Basilisk
Rootbound Crag
Fog
Tormented Soul
Swamp
Llanowar Elves
Mountain
Mountain

[sblock Falcon_UK's comments]Griffyn, a few thoughts.

Scepter of Empires is pretty much unplayable (outside of the dream of all 3 empire cards).  It might, just, have a home in an all out bloodthirst deck but even then I wouldn't play it.

I think the inclusion of the Green here is unnecessary, you have 3 black finishers (Shade, Sengir and Titan) and I think the cost of the 3 land slots for one green card is not right (don't get me wrong, Carnage Wurm is good but it is not so good as to have to include - if this was a Fireball or something then I would agree with including it).

Generally, when you first pick a bomb creature like Titan you want some way to get it back if it goes into the graveyard (dispelled, discarded or just plain killed).  There were a lot of Gravediggers running around and you should have prioritised picking these even over cards that might be stronger in a vacuum.  Also, after second picking the automaton, zombies (the most prevalent black card especially when you make two with the Titan) should have been rated higher.  Neither Warpath Ghoul or Zombie Goliath are great cards (nothing wrong with them) but if you suddenly have Warpath's as 4/3's for 3 mana then that is something pretty good.  Incidentally with 5 vampires and 3 spirits I may have included it anyway.

I guess there are two drafting points to note from this (sorry if this sounds condescending it is not meant to be and is designed to be helpful).

1) The strength of some cards will vary quite dramatically depending on what you have picked before.  Gravediggers are a good example of this.  In a deck with a bomb creature, you want to pick these early to get back the bomb.  You also want to do this when you have any creature that has a useful ETB (enters the battlefield) ability.  For example, gravedigging a Borderland Ranger is generally going to be much better for you than digging up a Gray Ogre

2) Work out what type of deck you are drafting.  Without being too general, there are: aggro (lots of 2 and 3 mana aggressive creatures), mid-range (lots of efficient 3-5 mana creatures), bomb decks (decks that tend to win when playing their signature card), combo decks (decks that win when pulling out their combo).  Cards that are good in aggro (tormented soul for example) are not necessarily good in a combo deck. 

Your deck is a mid-range/bomb deck, it has amazing late game finishers in Drifting Shade and Grave Titan (and to a lesser extent Sengir), it has a way to find those creatures (Diabolic Tutor) and enough removal and cheap creatures to keep you alive until you hit those finishers.  However, your deck also runs 4 cards that are specifically geared towards aggro (two tormented souls and two dark favors).  Dark favor is great when you want to kill your opponent before he lands a great card.  In a bloodthirst deck I think there is definately a place for these cards but in your deck it may not help too much.

Let's take the following example:

Opening Hand 3xSwamps, Tormented Soul, Dark Favour, Great Sword and Sengir Vampire

Turn 1 Swamp - Tormented Soul
Turn 2 Swamp - Dark Favour (hit for 4)
Turn 3 Swamp - Great Sword (hit for 4)
Turn 4 your opponent removes Tormented Sould (not difficult for a card with only 2 toughness)

Although you have your opponent down to 12, you now have zero board position (depending on what you drew of course).  If instead the Dark Favour had been, say, a Warpath Ghoul (or other vanilla creature) you have got in 2 damage instead of 8 but have two creatures to wield the greatsword so if your opponent removes one (lets say the Ghoul) you have a 4/1 wielding Tormented Soul and your opponent needs another removal spell.

Compare to an aggro deck of 2xSwamps, 1 Mountain, Dark Favour, Tormented Soul, Blood Ogre, Great Sword (so I've just changed a mid range creature for aggro).

Turn 3 your opponent is on 12 and you a 3/3 first striking ogre.  Whichever one your opponent kills you are still probably taking them to 8/9 next turn with the potential to take them to 3 the turn after.  Given that aggro decks run lots of burn to do the last points of damage this should be enough to sit back and wait for your incinerate,outrage etc.[/sblock]

First off, THANK YOU for such great feedback.  Nothing was condescending, it was honest and true, and I wish more people could provide quality feedback to help improve others' skills.  This is the type of input I'm looking for.

I was thinking of bloodthirsty way to much, that is why I pulled Scepter of Empires.  You are right, it isn't a great card, except in a bloodthirst deck.  I should have noticed my deck drifted away from bloodthirst and kept it out.  I did underrate Gravediggers in this type of deck.  I should have picked them over Wring Flesh, Devouring Swarm and I think a third card.  Flesh was the first removal I had pulled, not that good, but it was removal and I wasn't sure how much more I would see.  Swarm was a flier that could be difficult to get rid of, but probably not as much in this deck.  My thoughts on the Dark Favor was to put those on Tormented Soul and get in as much damage and probably drawing a removal spell.  After the opponent wastes a removal spell on the small guy it should clearing a path for my finishers to come in and finish off the opponent.  This line of thinking is a little more aggressive, and maybe weaker than using Gravediggers to return the finishers.  I don't see this line of thinking wrong, just a difference of opinion between styles.  But the Gravediggers also work into my original focus with Adaptive Automaton, so I do like this option better.  And a few changes in draft picks can strengthen the deck, making it much more consistent and stable.

I lost focus on my original concept for the deck, Zombies.  So with that in mind and some suggestions made by Falcon_UK, I redrafted.  This does have a better feel to the overall deck and the curve looks much nicer.  I still choose Doom Blade over a second Sengir, being more of a necessity with less removal overall in the deck.  P2p7 I choose a second Drifting Shade over a third Gravedigger.  I thought a second shade was a little more important for the deck.  This also lead to choose a Warpath Ghoul over a third shade P3p5.  I still pulled a few Blood Seekers for the deck, not sure if it is right for the deck, but I they will help with early damage and chump block when necessary. 

[sblock Original Draft & Decklist]Round 1:
Grave Titan
Adaptive Automaton
Onyx Mage
Blood Seeker
Wring Flesh
Consume Spirit
Drifting Shade
Wring Flesh
Devouring Swarm
Rampant Growth
Blood Seeker
Gladecover Scout
Dark Favor
Taste of Blood
Forest

Round 2:
Bloodrage Vampire
Tormented Soul
Diabolic Tutor
Sengir Vampire
Duskhunter Bat
Blood Seeker
Scepter of Empires
Sorin's Thirst
Titanic Growth
Plummet
Drowned Catacomb
Aven Fleetwing
Jace's Erasure
Taste of Blood
Forest

Round 3:
Greatsword
Swiftfoot Boots
Tormented Soul
Doom Blade
Carnage Wurm
Llanowar Elves
Zombie Goliath
Blood Ogre
Mind Rot
Hideous Visage
Brink of Disaster
Dark Favor
Dragonskull Summit
Flight
Mountain

DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (17)
3 x Forest
14 x Swamp

CREATURES (13)
2 x Tormented Soul
3 x Blood Seeker
1 x Onyx Mage
1 x Duskhunter Bat
1 x Bloodrage Vampire
1 x Devouring Swarm
1 x Drifting Shade
1 x Sengir Vampire
1 x Grave Titan
1 x Carnage Wurm

OTHER SPELLS (10)
1 x Wring Flesh
2 x Dark Favor
1 x Doom Blade
1 x Sorin's Thirst
1 x Consume Spirit
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Greatsword
1 x Scepter of Empires
1 x Diabolic Tutor

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
1 x Wring Flesh
1 x Mind Rot
1 x Plummet
1 x Titanic Growth
1 x Hideous Visage

[sblock Mana Curve]Creatures
1cc - 2
2cc - 5
3cc - 2
4cc - 1
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 1

Other Spells
1cc - 1
2cc - 6
3cc - 2
4cc - 1
5cc - 0
6cc - 0
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 3
2cc - 11
3cc - 4
4cc - 2
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 1[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock Redraft]Round 1:
Grave Titan
Adaptive Automaton
Onyx Mage
Blood Seeker
Gravedigger
Consume Spirit
Drifting Shade
Wring Flesh
Gravedigger
Disentomb
Blood Seeker
Gladecover Scout
Dark Favor
Taste of Blood
Forest

Round 2:
Deathmark
Tormented Soul
Diabolic Tutor
Sengir Vampire
Duskhunter Bat
Blood Seeker
Drifting Shade
Sorin's Thirst
Titanic Growth
Plummet
Drowned Catacomb
Aven Fleetwing
Demystify
Taste of Blood
Forest

Round 3:
Greatsword
Swiftfoot Boots
Tormented Soul
Doom Blade
Warpath Ghoul
Warpath Ghoul
Zombie Goliath
Blood Ogre
Mind Rot
Hideous Visage
Brink of Disaster
Dark Favor
Dragonskull Summit
Flight
Mountain
[/sblock]

NEW DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (17)
17 x Swamp

CREATURES (15)
2 x Tormented Soul
1 x Duskhunter Bat
1 x Onyx Mage
2 x Blood Seeker
1 x Adaptive Automaton
2 x Warpath Ghoul
2 x Gravedigger
2 x Drifting Shade
1 x Sengir Vampire
1 x Grave Titan

OTHER SPELLS (8)
1 x Wring Flesh
1 x Swiftfoot Boots
1 x Doom Blade
1 x Sorin's Thirst
1 x Consume Spirit
1 x Greatsword
1 x Hideous Visage
1 x Diabolic Tutor

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
Disentomb - Against heavy removal
Deathmark - Against white or green
Mind Rot - Against control, heavy removal or slow decks
2 x Dark Favor - Against slow decks and/or decks with limited removal
Blood Seeker - Against aggro deck and/or creature procuders

[sblock New Mana Curve]Creatures
1cc - 2
2cc - 4
3cc - 3
4cc - 4
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 0

Other Spells
1cc - 1
2cc - 4 (Including Consume Spirit)
3cc - 2
4cc - 1
5cc - 0
6cc - 0
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 3
2cc - 8
3cc - 5
4cc - 5
5cc - 1
6cc - 1
7cc - 0[/sblock]

Let me know what you think of the changes made.  Compare to the first draft or just comment on this one, but don't hold back the advice, positive or negative.

My go at this doesn't look very different from others. Mono black, with a zombie emphasis. The only contentious thing was my choice of zombie infestation over either warpath ghoul or drifting shade in p3p5. I figured it offered my deck some consistency, and would help me deal with the effects of either mana flood or mana screw, why did other people pick the other options?

Draft Picks:

and Decklist:
Show

Decklist

1x Blood Seeker

1x Child of Night

1x Duskhunter Bat

1x Onyx Mage

1x Adaptive automaton

1x Devouring Swarm

1x Warpath Ghoul

3x Gravedigger

1x Drifting Shade

2x Zombie Goliath

1x Sengir Vampire

1x Grave Titan

Other Spells (8)

1x Deathmark

1x Wring Flesh

1x Sorin’s Thirst

1x  Zombie Infestation

1x Greatsword

1x Hideous Visage

1x Diabolic Tutor

1x Consume Spirit

Round 3:
Mind Control
Swiftfoot Boots
Tormented Soul
Doom Blade

Thanks.

I hope Falcon doesn't mind if I leap in here. I also drafted monoblack and had the same choice.

I instinctively took the vampire over the doom blade, but then immediately regretted it (if I could, I would have taken it back - but such is the finality of clicking). Granted the vampire is a bit of bomb sometimes, and even more playable for each wring flesh you possess (allowing you to kill, say, another sengir in combat) but I already have a sengir and a grave titan, a beefy 5 drop zombie, and two drifting shades that like to suck up mana. That diminishes the value of a second sengir and increases the value of early removal. Put it another way, if your deck doesn't get going until turn 5, you had better hope you can deal with threats turns 1-3.

Also, by being in monoblack you are less likely to encounter other black creatures, which means doom blade is almost always a "kill target creature" spell.

Thanks.

Of course, this is an excellent question and it was not an easy pick.  Highwayman has already summed up much of what I would say but I have set out my reasons when considering this pick.

By this stage in the draft, I have 4 finishers (2xDrifting Shade, Sengir and Titan), a way to tutor for them (which is effectively another finisher) and even ways to bring my guys back from the dead (or redead or whatever it is that dead things do).  I also have Consume Spirit as a back up plan if I end up flooding on mana (although not a plan I really want to rely on).  Generally 3-4 finishers (especially with recursion) is enough for a mid-range/bomb deck and I already have more than this

In contrast, I have very limited removal.  Consume Spirit is very good in mono black but Wring Flesh and Sorin's Thirst both only deal with small creatures (or slightly bigger creatures in conjunction with combat etc).  Doom Blade kills everything from a thirsty Blood Ogre to a mighty Sun Titan and while it doesn't deal with black, I have never ever had a draft where two people have ended up mono in the same colour (and given just how strong my black is the chances of anyone having another mono black deck anywhere near as powerful is very, very remote) so it is unlikely to be a dead draw for me.  So, again, this was about looking at my deck and seeing what I needed.  I am going to win nearly any game that goes long unless my opponent has some sort of ridiculous bomb (like a Sun Titan).  Having a way to deal with that bomb (and even a way to tutor for my removal) makes my deck much more consistent than adding a 5th (or 6th or 7th) finisher.

Hope this helps

Thank you both very much for your explanations.  Your reasoning is sound and upon reading it, I agree with you.

Thanks for helping me improve my draft game.

(Lol @ wizards for FINALLY fixing the reply email notification system.  I logged in and found about 20 different emails with about 30 different replies from the past 3 weeks...XD)

Post #777

My go at this doesn't look very different from others. Mono black, with a zombie emphasis. The only contentious thing was my choice of zombie infestation over either warpath ghoul or drifting shade in p3p5. I figured it offered my deck some consistency, and would help me deal with the effects of either mana flood or mana screw, why did other people pick the other options?

Draft Picks:

and Decklist:
Show

Decklist

1x Blood Seeker

1x Child of Night

1x Duskhunter Bat

1x Onyx Mage

1x Adaptive automaton

1x Devouring Swarm

1x Warpath Ghoul

3x Gravedigger

1x Drifting Shade

2x Zombie Goliath

1x Sengir Vampire

1x Grave Titan

Other Spells (8)

1x Deathmark

1x Wring Flesh

1x Sorin’s Thirst

1x  Zombie Infestation

1x Greatsword

1x Hideous Visage

1x Diabolic Tutor

1x Consume Spirit

People picked the other options because they are better.  Warpath Ghoul is costs more than Zombie Infestation.  The Ghoul gives you one more power and only costs you 1 card, not 3 (1 card for Infestation and 2 to discard to make a creature).  Drifting Shade can be a finisher and is the best choice between the three since you only have 1 at P3p5. A creature with evasion is good, add the pumpability to it, it makes it much better.  Especially in an mono-black deck.  If they have a creature with flying they will want to block if you have a lot of mana open, pump it enough to kill their creature.  If they don't block, you have the option to pump it or keep the mana available for something else.  It could easily do 7-8 damage later in the game for the win.  If a graveyard theme was more prominent in this set, Infestation would be better.  But you only have 3 Gravediggers to get any creatures back that you pitch.  You don't want to pitch to many lands with the Shade in play, it will limit its power.
Sign In to post comments