Plan to Playtest?

So how many people will be running a playtest for the upcoming playtest release on the 24th?

Will you be looking for players or do you have a set group ready to go? 
What city do you live in? 

I plan on DMing the playtest with my group. 4 confirmed players. I might pick up another player or 2. I could use some players with more experience. Especially experience beyond 2nd. 
I live in Surrey BC 
I will be running public Playtest sessions on the D&D VT with anyone who wants to join my table. I have 2 short oneshot adventures (4 hours max) prepped and ready to roll !

You'll be able to find them here once its posted up: community.wizards.com/dndbeta/go/forum/v...
Any free passes for non-DDi members? I'll give it a shot...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I am definitely looking forward to helping out. I have a group ready to go as soon as the green light flashes.
1 square =1 yard = 1 meter. "Fits all playstyles" the obvious choice Orzel is the mayor of Ranger-town. Favored enemies for Rangers
58033128 wrote:
Seems like community isn't going to give up calling mapless "Theatre of the Mind".  In the interest of equal pretentiousness, I'd like to start a motion to refer to map combat as "Tableau Vivant".  

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Any free passes for non-DDi members? I'll give it a shot...

No i don't, i've used the last Passes when i ran a game for non-DDi community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Where do you sign up for the playtest?
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
You can sign up for the Open Playtest here:  www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDNext.aspx

I bet its going to be an event only playtest...

Hopefully they will make it available over the VTT for non-DDi members...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

seriously read the articles.  On the 24th it opens up for everyone to test.

My plan for that weekend is to have saturday be repetetive games.  I will have so many players that want to check it out that 1 game won't be enough considering there are only 4 pre-gen characters available.  I will likely run three thre hour adventures.  Sunday will more than likely be system delving with my roomates to investigate everything we are given with a fine tooth comb.

My plan for that weekend is to have saturday be repetetive games.  I will have so many players that want to check it out that 1 game won't be enough considering there are only 4 pre-gen characters available.  I will likely run three thre hour adventures.  Sunday will more than likely be system delving with my roomates to investigate everything we are given with a fine tooth comb.

Can you link some of those articles. I can't seem to find them...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
I don't think they confirmed there would only be 4 Pregens.

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

in there it says they will roll out 4 races and 4 classes and that they will be handing us pregens.  However you are correct I may have misinterpreted the text.  They may give us those four classes and races in full as well as a few pregens.  Now I hope to be pleasantly surprised by my own misinterpretations. 

I pulled together a group of play testers from various groups I know and my members of my old D&D group as well and we're ready to go.

I think I've got a great diversity of D&D players. One player has been there from the very beginning (playing chainmail and the first box set), another (our alternate DM) has 34 years (starting from Basic and 1e), I've got 28 (Basic and 1e), another (my wife) has 23 (2e), another 10 (3e), the new gal has about 3 (4e) and we even picked up a non-D&D player. All but the oldest of us (D&D players) tried 4e but gave up after a year for probably the same reasons that most people did, some went back to 3.5 or Pathfinder and others decided to play different systems, however regardless of our individual feelings towards D&D we are all looking forward to play testing to a successful 5e!

Much like SleepsInTraffic we'll probably run in sessions switching between DMs (as our alternate said he might have a few of his Pathfinder group interested as well). Afterward we'll probably hit up the local bar to roundtable and then (when they kick us out) head over to Denny's to sober up and roundtable some more ;D.

"We are men of action, lies do not become us" ~ D.P.R.

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd%2...

then legends and lore since then has had info.

From that article they just say they are going to have a playtest, they don't explain how it will happen. Personally I hope they don't do an event only where you have to go somewhere. Hopefully they will provide enough info to do a playtest at home or through the VTT...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

From that article they just say they are going to have a playtest, they don't explain how it will happen. Personally I hope they don't do an event only where you have to go somewhere. Hopefully they will provide enough info to do a playtest at home or through the VTT...

It is implied because they have already had event based play tests  such as at DDXP or PAX East.

but I can totally get where you are comming from. 
im sure that despite my complaining ill end up running it both at home and online to test it out. if it is automatically compatible with 1e adventures i might run hommlet. im sure what we will see is pretty straightforward. it will probably be good for new players or players that have never played before so i will likely try to get some dnd virgins for the home game
I've got a group mostly lined up and ready to go, including a rampant Paizo evangelist.
Gonna run it a few times, with about half of those times while hitting the whiskey.  Then (or during), I'm gonna start in on dissasembling the system as much as possible.

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

in there it says they will roll out 4 races and 4 classes and that they will be handing us pregens.  However you are correct I may have misinterpreted the text.  They may give us those four classes and races in full as well as a few pregens.  Now I hope to be pleasantly surprised by my own misinterpretations. 

Exactly. 4 Classes doesn't necessarly mean we will have only 4 Pregens, since Classes can have multiple Builds available.

Take 4E's Classes Mightyfour. You could be a:  (up to 9 Possible Pregens)

Battle or Laser Cleric 
Sword & Board or Greatweapon Fighter
Artful or Brutal Rogue
Orb, Staff or Wand Wizard
Assuming they put up a sample adventure with four or five pregen characters on DDi my group will give it a whirl. If it's not available for download somehow we won't.
I will run it with my D&D group of varying levels of experience. I hope its not VT exclusive, I'm assuming it will be downloadable, because I have enough poeple to run 2 games. I will try to run it differently both times with both. If there are options to build a character, then one game will be pre-gen, and the other will be player built characters. Both games will have half battle map, half TotM. Also, if there are ways to have multiple paths, maybe I can have people play in more than 1 game, and have a different experience. Then, we will be entirely objective on our responses back to WotC. No, THIS SUCKS, or THIS IS AWESOME. We will explain why we like what we like, and hated what we hated.
I have my normal group on board for the play test  - cant wait, so excited!

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
The D&D Next Open Playtest has nothing to do with the D&D VT or DDi and won't require it whatsoever. At least to this date it was never even remotly hinted it would be. So its safe to assume it won't be related in any way.  

It will be either documents downloadable from their site like the last D&D Skirmish Game Open Playtest did on their D&D Playtesting Group Page, or they will directly email documents to those who signed up for the Open Playtest.
The D&D Next Open Playtest has nothing to do with the D&D VT or DDi and won't require it whatsoever. At least to this date it was never even remotly hinted it would be. So its safe to assume it won't be related in any way.  

It will be either documents downloadable from their site like the last D&D Skirmish Game Open Playtest did on their D&D Playtesting Group Page, or they will directly email documents to those who signed up for the Open Playtest.

I hope so...

I see your badges under your picture. I've been asking for a badge that has a picture of a troll on it for people that get temp banned more than 3 times per month, but they won't give it to me...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
I am going to be running the playtest more than likely.  A group of us, including MechaPilot, will be gathering on the 25th to review the rules and roll up characters.  Based upon what we see, we'll either go for it in 5E or just go 4E and save the playtesting for another group.  This is a new group that hasn't played D&D for a while, and I don't know if I should thrust the playtest rules on them.  This is all dependant on those rules, of course.

Celebrate our differences.

Some Rulesets play better than they read (just take 4E!). I really encourage anyone interested in D&D Next to give it a try if they can so they can experience it first hand and make themselves a better idea of it. Wink

(Once part of our NDA gets lifted i'll elaborate more on this if i am allowed)

I've got my regular group members, both active and inactive, and my old high school players all ready to roll. I'm gonna bully as many of them into DMing as I can, too, to create as much diversity of experience and perspective as possible.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Some Rulesets play better than they read (just take 4E!). I really encourage anyone interested in D&D Next to give it a try if they can so they can experience it first hand and make themselves a better idea of it. 

(Once part of our NDA gets lifted i'll elaborate more on this if i am allowed)

Ummmm.  EVERY ruleset plays better than it reads.  That's kind of the entire nature of playing.  

Celebrate our differences.

There's the whole "plays better than it reads" argument, sure. There's also the "If it says 'sandwich made of poop' on the menu, I don't have to bite into it to know I'm not going to like it" argument, as well.
I'm sure Emerikol will run some thing and I'll be in it.   I hope people don't go into spasms when all they get is part of core to test.   There won't be a lot of stuff that they will ultimately be getting in the finished rules.   This is an early playtest.   

Folks (pounding head on wall) -  they are going to give you a rules file to download (probably a pdf).   Ok.   If you disagree just read some more and understand.

I'll be DMing the playtest material with my regular group. We only meet every other Friday and we should finish our current adventure on the 18th; so we won't be meeting with the playtest material until the 1st of June. I hope to get the material to the players as soon as I get it though, then they will have some time to look it over before arriving.

I am pretty sure that there will only be pregen characters; but, I'm hoping that there will be a variety of class/race combinations. There is the possibility that there will only be four characters; one of each class, built with an iconic race combination for that class. If that is the case, I see them as follows: dwarven fighter, human cleric, halfling rogue, and elven wizard.

Either way, we'll be playing them as much as we can in order to give as much feedback as we can. I hope the initial stage of playtesting (that with only the pregen characters) doesn't last too long though; unless the pregens are more numerous than the iconic four. With a greater number of build combinations, they can get a wider variety of feedback; but, maybe that will be stage 2 of playtesting.
I look forward to playtesting other areas of D&DNext as well; but, I think the slow pace is going to be for the best, in the long run.
One thing I hope is that people don't get locked into is thinking there are only so many characters so we should just use them. I plan to see how playing through the adventure with one of each pregen, all players playing the same Pregen and combinations works (is it easier with 2 clerics and 2 wizards than 1 wizard, thief, fighter, cleric? etc).
One thing I hope is that people don't get locked into is thinking there are only so many characters so we should just use them. I plan to see how playing through the adventure with one of each pregen, all players playing the same Pregen and combinations works (is it easier with 2 clerics and 2 wizards than 1 wizard, thief, fighter, cleric? etc).

4 wizards is the correct answer in nearly every situation.
I'm sure Emerikol will run some thing and I'll be in it.

Reallly?  The way he (content removed)quit after Cook left, I figured he'd lost all interest.

ORC_Jubjub: Edited-Harassment is against the Code of Conduct 

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

#BoobsNotBlood

I'm sure Emerikol will run some thing and I'll be in it.

Reallly?  The way he (content removed)quit after Cook left, I figured he'd lost all interest.

(content removed) Is that what happened? How do you know this?

"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
(content remved)

I think we were taught in our early years (1E, 2E 3.xE) that everything was swingy, you either dominate or die, no in between. So we either win or (content removed)quit...

1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Well prior to seeing the game we can all have a lot of impressions and theories.  I do think it would be silly to judge a game ultimately by anything other than the game.   I think losing Monte definitely made me less optimistic.   But again thats only until I see the game.  Then I'll be happy or unhappy based upon the game itself.  It may even take some playing time (as 4e did) but ultimately a game rises or falls on it's own merits.

(content removed)

Content has been removed due to violations of section 3, Harassment of the Code of Conduct.

Any sort of negative discussion of another poster is considered an attack on them.  Please try not to talk about these sort of things.  Try to keep posts polite, respectful, on topic, and refrain from attacking others.
Unfortunately going to have to wait til the 9th for my group due to scheduling conflicts. At least I should have the rules down pretty good by that time
Sorry about that.  I know him personally and perhaps spoke too familiarly.   I will try to keep in mind these things going forward.
So how many people will be running a playtest for the upcoming playtest release on the 24th? Will you be looking for players or do you have a set group ready to go?  What city do you live in?  I plan on DMing the playtest with my group. 4 confirmed players. I might pick up another player or 2. I could use some players with more experience. Especially experience beyond 2nd.  I live in Surrey BC 

I'm going to try and get some playtesting done, but it depends heavily on my groups availability. With a player or two being MIA for much of June it might be fun to do some 5e as a filler game. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Sign In to post comments