Planeswalker Creation Contest 3: Third times the charm

487 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello and welcome.

For those of you who have been here before you now how this goes. For those who don't:

Each round I will post a challenge. The challenge could be a race, a class, or a concept. ANyone who want may submit a planes walker that fits the challenge. The following round, while the next challenge is ongoing, we will vote for the previous challenge. The winner for each challenge will be added to the Hall of Fame. 

The deadline starts at a week from the begining of the challenge. As interest wanes the deadline can be moved up, but always with 24 hours notice at least. This is to keep momentum and interest.

There can be only one entry per person per week. If you change your mind later, remove your old walker and add your new one (or just edit the post so that the new walker is there). 

You are free, for now, to build off of M:EM work. However this privilage can be revoked if material is winning votes simply because of the M:EM. Nothing here is added into M:EM, unless you meet the requirements for entry over there and make the submission. This includes anything based off of M:EM material. If you don't know about the M:EM, check the link!

And so we begin a new.

Round 1: Out of the Mouths of Babes- Children
Round 2: Take the Bull by the Horns- Minotaurs
Round 3: Feme Fatales- Female Villans
Round 4: What Measure is a Monster- Non-Humanoids
Round 5: We Were Gods Once- Old Walkers

Round 6: Double Trouble- Teams
Round 7: By your Powers Combined- Elementalists
Round 8: Big Damn Heroes- Non White Heroes
Round 9: instant Classic- Traditional Fantasy Races

HALL OF FAME:
Round 1: Matal, the God Child - jedi123
Round 2: Keridor- Barinellos and Huudran the Living Maze- Keeperofmanynames
Round 3: Mirel Aegis- by Chronego
Round 4: Vikterys- by Barinellos and Mari Gwyn- by Tevish Szat
Round 5: Ilyria the Accursed- by TevishSzat
Round 6: Larasa Farleth and Morgan Voor- by Tevish Szat
Round 7: Kannak, the Frostborn- by hairlessThoctar and Olympia the Outcast - by Chronego 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Week One Challenge: Out of the Mouths of Babes

We have discussed this a few times, and batted it around. 

A Child/tennager Planeswalker. 

How do the young and wide innocents (or not so innocent) view the multiverse differently than others?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Yeeees, so glad this is back again. We usually get a handful of really solid characters/planes/whatever when we run these contests, so I'm excited to see what people do...

Maybe work (and my latest hideous illness) will ease up and I can participate in this round. Fingers crossed.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Lourima Viiran

Physical Description
A girl on her way to womanhood, Lourima is not what most people would expect from an experienced Planeswalker and decently powerful mage aside.  She's of average height, and if she continues to grow will be a somewhat tall woman.  Customarily her skin is tanned and weathered, her lips pale and chapped, red-orange hair in gritty disarray, grey eyes heavy with pain and rage that should not burden one so young -- She might be pretty if she took care of herself and smiled more, but she's more than likely to look the part of a haggared urchin
Lourima has one other notable feature, though it is unlikely to be seen: Her back is marked by several long scars that must have been from deep wounds -- children, after all, do not scar easily.  What little remains after the interveening years looks bad enough to make one shudder.  How many more scars have faded away, and how many wounds didn't scar?

History
Lourima grew up, until her spark flared, on a backwater plane: a place of no great importance, whose name she cannot remember (or at least will not admit to remembering).  It's clear she had an unhappy childhood in some rural place, though she is quite tight-lipped about the exact details before her ascension.

"When I left home for the last time, It was the sound of screams and shouts I put to my back
. My mother begged me to come back, while my father roared that if I didn't that instant, I had better not ever.  What can I say?  I ran.  I ran so far, blindly, not looking ahead of myself because I did not care, not looking back because I was too scared to see what might be there.  I ran blindly until I tripped and fell, fell into what I've heard called the Blind Eternities.  I screamed and I cried, but no one and nothing could hear me, until finally I reached a far away place.

I was eight years old."

Lourima is now 14.  For the last six years she has traveled the planes, never stopping in any place for long, keeping to the roads and the byways, or else the blind eternities that ever beckon.

Philosophy & Psychology

"Humans are disgusting creatures.  If this is not so, then tell me why a father may bring pain and sorrow to his children.  Tell me why priests steal from those who praise their gods and make the flock feel hope even as all they really do is take it away.  Tell me why men would murder the helpless for the coins in their pockets.  Tell me why leaders would war with one another and sacrifice lives for their own vanity and arrogance.  Men speak of honor, but on the whole they have none at all.

And it is not just humans.  Do you think elves are less corrupt, hiding in their forests?  They are more arrogant yet, by in large.  Not goblins, not vedalken, not even angels can you trust.  Every world is cruel and wicked, and the only way to live in such a world is to be as cold and as cruel as it is.  You must take what you need, take what you want, and hang on to it so no one else can take it from you.  Power is the only law of the Multiverse."

Lourima believes two basic precepts.  First is that humans (and other sapients) are, in a general sense, beyond any hope of redemption.  She trusts no one, nor does she want to.  People are guilty until proven innocent in Lourima's mind, and it is an extraordinary claim that requres, then, extraordinary evidence.  It would take quite an act (or series of acts) from anyone to make Lourima believe a person above humanity's 'inherant evil'.

Second is that might makes right, even if it is wrong for it to do so.  In essence a warped concept of meritocracy, only power and the willingness to sieze it matter to Lourima.  With power comes no responsibility, and in fact nearly an imperitave to abuse that power for all that it's worth.  Like many young people, Lourima has yet to learn that just because you can doesn't mean you should, and given her personal power and her take on life, it's something she may never learn.

As a result of this, Lourima is utterly ruthless.  She sees nothing wrong about hurting or killing to get what she wants, and will often take the violent approach as her first resort if she thinks it will get her what she wants.

Powers
Lourima is a weilder of black magic, first and foremost.  She has a lot of raw strength, but despite getting an early start on magecraft, the self-taught planeswalker has absolutley no finesse or technique.  Simply throwing mana at the problem is usually enough to get her through whatever she needs to use magic on, and her obsession with grasping for further power leaves her blind to more efficent applications of force.  She is many things, but particularly cunning is not one of them.  Additionally, Lourima often fails to think ahead, and is liable to burn herself out if she underestimates her foe (In game terms, she'd use a lot of fast mana and 'X' Spells).  Lourima is capable of summoning -- whether the creatures she manifests are really her defeated and enslaved foes past, or simply her dreams thereof, it's unnerving to see broken hopelessness in the eyes of a vampire as a child commands it.

Cards

Building a deck to represent Lourima would start with a backbone of Dark Ritual and a smattering of black X-spells like Drain Life and Death Wind for various purposes.  She should probably also include Culling the Weak, Enslave, and Heartless Summoning.  Lourima is about brute force and domination, and would play to classic black tactics of paying long term resources for short term gains.

YMTC Planeswalker Card

Lourima Viiran

Planeswalker - Lourima
As an additional cost to cast Lourima, sacrifice X creatures and pay X life.
[+2]: Destroy target nonblack creature. It can't be regenerated. You lose life equal to that creature's toughness.
[-7]: Gain control of all permanents (This effect lasts indefinatley)
[X]

EDIT: Some small edits have been made to Lourima's voice in "Philosophy & Psychology"
EDIT 5/11: Another edit made

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Jedi, not that I don't support this and all, but you think maybe you should have shot a message my way before you set this up?

I mean come on, I'm the one that started this back in the day, I would have liked to have known it was coming. Particularly given the M:EM is probably going to be bound up in this in at least parts.
Concidering I'm reletively new to these forums, what do you want to see out of these contest? Do you want backstory? Abilities? Both? I'm just asking because this seems like something I'll be a part of very often. Hopefully one day I'll get my lovely werewolves/wolfir or avens in. >.>

You can go as in depth or not as you want. Usual entries have an ascension story and/or a blurb like from the website. Many will also include cards.

Jedi, not that I don't support this and all, but you think maybe you should have shot a message my way before you set this up?

I mean come on, I'm the one that started this back in the day, I would have liked to have known it was coming. Particularly given the M:EM is probably going to be bound up in this in at least parts.

Honestly I was inspired by Yanmoto's post in the planeswalker you want thread and just did it. Spur of the moment no thinking. One of my red moments. Sorry. But honestly given your reaction to the last 2 attempts I wouldn't think you would want to run it again.

M:EM has no obligation at this point. Especially given the decree of stories needed for characters to join. Moving anything to the M:EM still requires the normal means. Unless we want to open something up, but I am not going to obligate the M:EM. Them being added or used will be a per entry case.

Also this is an attempt to get me focused on Magic again (been looking at DnD and league of Legends recently) and finally fulfilling some of my story obligations now that I have time.

I am sorry if I offended you barinellos, it was me being reckless. 
You are Red/Blue!
Honestly I was inspired by Yanmoto's post in the planeswalker you want thread and just did it. Spur of the moment no thinking. One of my red moments. Sorry. But honestly given your reaction to the last 2 attempts I wouldn't think you would want to run it again.

M:EM has no obligation at this point. Especially given the decree of stories needed for characters to join. Moving anything to the M:EM still requires the normal means. Unless we want to open something up, but I am not going to obligate the M:EM. Them being added or used will be a per entry case.

Also this is an attempt to get me focused on Magic again (been looking at DnD and league of Legends recently) and finally fulfilling some of my story obligations now that I have time.

I am sorry if I offended you barinellos, it was me being reckless. 

See, that's part of it though, some people might try to build off of M:EM material and I want to make sure that the flow of ideas doesn't get muddled. Like I said, I'm not discouraging this, I just... want to make sure things are clear all around.
If anybody uses M:EM materials, it will be strictly a one way thing. Of course, that doesn't prevent anybody from trying to get their stuff plugged into the group either.

See, that's part of it though, some people might try to build off of M:EM material and I want to make sure that the flow of ideas doesn't get muddled. Like I said, I'm not discouraging this, I just... want to make sure things are clear all around.
If anybody uses M:EM materials, it will be strictly a one way thing. Of course, that doesn't prevent anybody from trying to get their stuff plugged into the group either.

I think we are in aggreeance. We can build from the M:EM (adding a link here shortly. But nothing here is cannon until added later. Although i may disallow M:EM if we have the old plane creation crossover problem.
You are Red/Blue!
I guess it can't hurt to copy the dossier I wrote up that encouraged Jedi in the first place. It's eligible for this round.

Reana, the Crushing Ivy

Female Kithkin
Colors: Green/White
Specialty: Floromancy

Backstory

After the twin aspects of Lorwyn merged after so many centuries under Oona's machinations, the initial changes were jarring for every race, but the kithkin were almost entirely unscathed next to what the other races were made to face. Even though the two kithkin societies were very different in some ways, the thoughtweft connected them in a way that let them understand one another as old friends in a world suddenly filled with unusual strangers. Their societies became almost totally homogenous within years.

This only helped to make young Reana feel even more an outcast than she would have otherwise.

Reana was born with the Spark, and even as it lay totally dormant it made its mark on her soul. She was tethered to the Blind Eternities, however subtly, and couldn't connect to the world around her deeply enough to feel the thoughtweft; since the day of her birth, Reana felt no connection to the thoughtweft whatsoever. Even kith infants can instinctively tap into the more basic emotional currents of their families, but Reana was as silent to her parents as a stone, and they to her. Their cenn assured them her mind would open up within the first two years of her life, but it never did. As she grew up, her village treated her as a stranger, some openly distrusting her, and until she was twelve years old she had no idea why. No one dared to reveal the thoughtweft to her, for fear of harming her.

Feeling disconnected from her own people, Reana spent more and more time in the forests of Wren's Run as she got older, wandering alone through the trees. She would often speak to the trees around her for company, and on occasion, they would whisper back. From the treefolk and lesser elementals of the woods she learned several simple spells, and eventually graduated to more and more complex magic. For the most part she taught herself with only subtle guidance from the forest. She was naturally gifted as a nature mage and by her eleventh birthday she was an accomplished floromancer, though she wouldn't have known how impressive her skills were, not having shared her hobbies with any of her friends or family.

The fact that she was almost never in town didn't help her peers feel less distant frm her. But the rest of her village, even her own parents, didn't mind that she was absent for so long at a time; it made their own deception easier. They had needed to go to more and more outlandish lengths to hide the truth from her as she got older, but by keeping her far from the village they were able to avoid any unpleasant questions. It would take an irritated and cruel-hearted child as young as herself to show her what had been kept from her for so long.

For most kithkin, romance is a much less elaborate, yet more subtle ritual than for for humans. The thoughtweft makes feelings of affection almost impossible to hide, and because of this it's generally the responsibility of the object of the suitor's affections to approach the suitor themselves. Reana may have known this rule, but without understanding the meaning behind it it seemed absurd. So when she approached her friend and schoolmate Teysa with her feelings, she did not expect the reaction she recieved.

For Teysa, an ordinary kithkin connected to the thoughtweft, Reana was already disconcerting. She was unpredictable and often did strange or suprising things, and even being around her was disquieting. She walked and talked like a kithkin but her mind was eerily silent, and Teysa wasn't the only one who couldn't get used to it. So when this strange mindmute girl approached her without warning or preamble spouting confessions of infatiation, it wasn't just a breach of social mores. She was more than startled, and she reacted strongly. She was naturally a cold girl, and her frustration manifested itself as cold, hard malice. She berated Reana for her foolishness, calling her stupid and unlovable, and went on to call her a freak, not for falling in love with another girl but for her total deafness to something "even babies know how to hear."

The moment Reana's expression of hurt and distress gave way to sudden confusion, Teysa recognized what she had done. Before she could take it back, Reana was already pelting her with questions. As sharp as her tongue was, Teysa wasn't quick-witted, and she confessed everything, albeit with vagueries and unsatisfying words Reana didn't understand.

She burst through the door of her family's hut, tears in her eyes, demanding to know what a "thoughtweft" was, and her parent's hearts broke. The game was up. They spent the next hour explaining everything to their daughter. When she finally had no more questions, she squirmed out of her parents' grasp and left, headed back toward the woods and ingnoring their calls. They didn't notice the grass and flowers that wilted and died in her wake.

For hours she communed with the forest, desperate for some familiar source of comfort. The forest was more than happy to offer it, and for the first time the trees around her reached out on their own, lifting her into their boughs and cradling her while she wept. Eventually night came and rather than returning home, she slept in the trees.

In her dreams they spoke to her. They reminded her that she was an outsider among her people. She was different. And they had lied to her for her entire life. Her parents didn't care about her enough to tell her the truth. Teysa obviously hated her. There was no one in the village that was there for her. But the forest was there for her. It always had been. The forest taught listened to her and cared for her and taught her amazing magic. The forest loved her even when her own kind never would.

It will never be clear why the treefolk from Shadowmoor continued to feel such malice toward everything around them, let alone why this particular group of treefolk had devoted so much energy toward playing with poor Reana's mind. But they did so remarkably well. By morning the entire village had been engulfed by the forest, in vengeance for taking away Reana's childhood.

She left Lorwyn altogether shortly thereafter.

Now Reana wanders the multiverse looking for other planes where kithkin dwell, on a genocidal quest conceived by her adoptive family. It's likely she has no idea the thoughtweft is unique to Lorwyn, that the kithkin she already slaughtered on Dominaria, Moag, and Oupora were really just like her. It's possible she doesn't care. But what those who cross her often don't realize is that for all her destructive power and all the passion in her hatred, she's just a little girl. She's the emotional puppet of the treefolk in Wren's Run. When she's older, she may realize what she's done, and what's been done to her. Or she may die on her bloody crusade. Ultimately it will likely depend on whether anyone can get close to her, whether anyone can show her love.

Hypothetical Card

Reana, the Crushing Ivy
+2: Untap target forest.
+1: Put a 0/1 green saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
-7: Choose any number of target noncreature nonland permanents and destroy them all.
-7: Choose any number of target tapped creatures and destroy them all.
Loyalty: 2
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Hnnng why are you people so awesome

Barinellos, chill, man, don't worry about it. We've always figured things out in the past in our haphazard way, we'll always figure it out in the future. I mean, I know this is sort of your thing and all, but look! New characters!
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Tvesh, I like your system. So I'm stealin' it. Gracias.
Also, so sorry if this is terrible or filled with typos. It is very late for me here. 

Aadicta Zon
:W::U:
Physical Description
     A Vedalken child of roughly 10 (he doesn't exactly understand the concept of attaching a number to time), only standing about 3'9, he has large, dark eyes that assume very little while observing much. He is bald and waif-thin, anywhere that Vedalkin are common, he's considered nondescript to the point of being hard to notice.
He favors the cloathing of the very poor wherever he is, which means in most places the same thing. Lots of brown, uncomfortable cloth.

History
     Adacta's locational origen and how he might return there are forgotten, fear of some unremembered monster igniting his spark when he was only five years old. Lost and frightened, he survived an unknown world for a year by the charity of a tribe of Nactal who took him in. One day another tribe arrived to declare war. Of this he only remembers clanging metal and fire. He tried to run, and when he realized for the second time he was somewhere new he realized he could control this at will. From then on he moved often, always seeking cities and safe villages. He prefers to beg, but to steal is not unknown to him, he learned the art of theft before he even understood the concept.
     Only rarely has he effectivly called upon manna, having only his intuition to tell him how it works. Appart from healing a few wounds he once found himself cornered by bandits with a fat man. He created a defensive wall which burst when struck. The attackers believed the older man was the mage and fled. In thanks before leaving, the man gave Adacta a round device containing many moving gears and springs. The device facinates him, and is the only object he considers to be of particular value. He has no idea what it's for or understanding of it's material value.

Philosophy & Psychology
     Either by magical manipulation from his home or by genetic chance, his mind works in very strange ways. Being Vedalken his memory, intelect and purely mechanichal outlook make him potentially very clever some day. But he hasn't yet found a catalyst to turn that potential into any sort of meaningful power.
     Having spent so long almost entirely alone he has very poor social skills, and is uncomfortable in crowds or when expected to speak. He's learned enough words in enough languages to usually be able to beg for food, but little else. 
     Dispite seeing many horrible things in his short time, he retains a kind of benevolent ignorance that is impervious to bitterness the same way a warship is immune to waterguns. And while sentients are mystifying and mildly frightening to him, when he comes across a need he will go to great (and usually jaw droppingly inneficient) leangths to help however he can.

Powers
     Not powerful so much as clever, Adacta has few manna ties and no training in any school of magic. What he does have are memories from before he first walked detailing what would for most worlds be considered cutting edge biology and mathmatics (roughly what we might expect of a high school senior). Where these came from are an uninteresting mystery to him. He also has patience enough to contenue at a task indeffinatly without becoming distracted or bored.
     Being a plainswalker, and very inteligent even for a Vedalken, he has incredible potential. But for now that's all he has. 

Cards
Note that since he doesn't have much real power now I'm skipping ahead in his life to areas he might have skills in if he ever gets a chance to develop them.
Incrimental healing, stealth, and basic artiface are areas he's naturally inclined but by no means tied to.

YMTC Planeswalker Card
Again, potential future version or else you'd have an expensive Ajani's Mantra 
Adacta Zon
:W:U:
+1 Gain 2 life
 -X Add X colorless manna to your manna pool. Spend this only to cast Artifact spells
-7 Get an emblem with "Creatures you control are unblockable and noncreature spells you cast can't be countered.
[1]  
Bah I'm going to skip this one a pre-write a bunch of them, post any that qualify in the future. Well that and I don't know any of the codes other than the autocard (hence the long signature, I'd hide it if I knew how).  I want to make sure everything is up to par, even formating. 

Show
I think this is what you're looking for:

[ sblock ] Your info [ /sblock ]
Just remove the spaces.

Erran Klow

Human Male, 7
years 

:W::R:

Physical Appearance

Show

Short brown hair, blue eyes.  Erran wears an outfit of cheap, rough-spun clothing that he has styled to resemble the tunic, breeches and cloak of a noble, including a roughly carved wooden sword made for him by his father from a piece of scrap wood. He stands 4’2 by common measurements.

History

Show

Erran Klow was born onto the slums of a large city.  His mother was devout to the extreme, believing their poverty was punishment for some sin that she could not figure out but that through commitment and worship she would atone for it and they would live a comfortable life. His father worked where he could to bring money into the family, however these opportunities were scarce and barely left them enough money for food. Erran’s father kept a strict household, for though he was not as devout as his wife he maintained a firm belief in the morals it taught and in the justice of the law and this passed on to his young son who idolised his father in the way that only a young boy can.

Erran’s spark ignited when during a violent storm a flood swept through the low town of their city, killing many when the river burst its banks and managed to overturn a section of the aqueduct system.  The small shamble housing area was no match for the wall of water and both of Erran’s parents were swept away. The then 6 year old felt a bolt of fear run through him as he cling desperately to a jut of wood that was caught on something below the surface, the current straining his arms as it tried to drag him away, then an odd sensation mingled with the fear and he was somewhere warm, dry and quiet. Opening his eyes, his vision was blurry from the water still but as it cleared he saw that the stone city walls and surging torrents had been replaced by . . . well he wasn’t sure what it was, though the locals would later tell him that it was called sand. After the cramped, crowded and busy world inside a city the wide spaces of the desert seemed like a paradise, and there was no water to threaten him.

He walked for what seemed like days, though the movement of the sun suggested to him that it was probably only a few hours. With no way to tell how far he had walked but the line of footprints behind him he lost track of much until he saw trees up ahead.  Running happily he didn’t notice a large strange animal come at him, razor sharp teeth bared and a vicious roar tearing through the still air.  Spinning round in terror he cried out before the creature seemed to vanish into thin air, causing a stir from the tribe of nomads who had stopped at the oasis and saw the attack.

The nomads had a shaman with them by the name of I’nidi, and after talking with Erran for a while she told him that she had heard of people who had shown similar capabilities, called planeswalkers.  While she had dismissed the tales as mere gossip, they might be able to help him get back to his home and find his parents.  Until then, she offered to teach him what she could of magic, to help him control his other emerging powers. Erran has been travelling with the nomads for a year now and is growing quickly in magic, and soon hopes to learn to use a sword as well, though he strives to learn how to travel back to his home, yet he has not worked out that side to his abilities yet with no-one to help.

Philosophy and Psychology

Show

Erran displays a sense of justice that is as firm as steel.  He believes that everything in the world should be right and just, but will fly into violent tantrums and rages when it doesn’t turn out that way.

He adores the idea of being a knight in shining armour defending the weak, though when asked how he feels about the fact he would have to kill people he replies that they will get better and learn from their mistake.

When confronted with any choice, Erran will choose the option that seems most like the tales of chivalry his father told him, believing that the gods will look after someone pure of heart.  This is a belief embedded so deeply into him that nothing any of the nomads say can change his mind, and they gave up trying months ago

Powers

Show

Erran’s powers lean heavily on the white side of his personality, with a small smattering of healing that he has learned from his time with I’nidi and his own, abeit still unpredictable, defensive spells. Slowly he is managing to learn how to control these, but they are still heavily tied to his emotions and more than once he as accidentally ‘exiled’ something he doesn’t like through fear.  This has lead the nomads to be cautious around him and treat him with a respect beyond that shown to the other children, who seem to view him as a deity in his own right.

100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
Emma
Human Female 
Age 16

Physical Description
Show
Girl in her late teens with short redish hair.  Dresses in a simple white dress.

History

Show
Hailing from a simple plane, where those who can wield magic are few and far between and those with such power are the stuff of legends, Emma grew up on a small farm bordering the Reflecting Sea.  As her brother read her the stories of the great mages, she would imagine their mighty battles play out over the glimmering waves.  All was peaceful yet exciting in her little world of calm farm life and keen imagination.....until the mages came. 

It was a large explosion that woke her in the night, followed by the screaming of people outside.  As she ran from her home in wide-eyed terror, she witnessed the destruction of her village.  Two rival mages had begun to duel over her town.  Creatures beyond her nightmares did battle in the streets.  Friends and family lay dead in the gutters.  As she ran for the cliff looking out on the moonlit waves of the Reflecting Sea, a large explosion sent her flailing over the edge.  There was only blackness after that. 

When she awoke, she found herself on the beach curled up against a large white beast.  She felt it odd that comfort was foremost in her mind instead of fear.  The more the lost herself in the creature's fur, the cares of her life seemed to melt away.  Wasn't she supposed to be afraid?  Wasn't there some pain that she felt, dull within her?  What was that smoke that rose from the cliff above?  All these questions seemed irrelevant to Emma as she basked in the comfort of her beast.

As she closed her eyes, Emma began to dream of new places, fantastical places.  When she awoke, she found herself meeting those dreams...

Philosophy and Psychology
Show
Emma is emotionally damaged and has retreated into the comfort of an imaginary friend given life through the power of the Spark.  She has forgotten her past and spends her new life blissfully traversing the mutliverse through dreamwalking.  Her condition allows her a form of selective amnesia; forgetting any bad things that she comes across in her travels and only remembering the good times.  Her stalwart protector, who she has named Bubalas, is ever present to protect her from danger.  One day she may be confronted by the memories of her past.  On that day, terrible things are bound to unfold.

Powers
Show
Emma has the ever-present power to live a charmed existence.  Her power is pure and gentle, eliciting confidence and the urge to protect in those around her.  The great bear that follows her around is a construct of her imagination, one of the keys to her innocence and her protector from harm.

Emma, the Innocent 
Planeswalker - Emma
As long as there is a creature named Bubalas on the battlefield, redirect all damage that would be dealt to Emma to that creature.
{+1}:  Target creature you control gains vigilance until end of turn.  Gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
{-2}:   Put a legendary 3/3 blue and white Bear Illusion creature token named Bubalas onto the battlefield.
{-7}:   You get an emblem with "Damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead."
[4]

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

5 entries already. I'm hoping that we don't peter out towards the end of the week. i'm gonna save my own entry until later in the contest to try and spark interest later.
You are Red/Blue!
Bah I'm going to skip this one a pre-write a bunch of them, post any that qualify in the future. Well that and I don't know any of the codes other than the autocard (hence the long signature, I'd hide it if I knew how).  I want to make sure everything is up to par, even formating. 

That's probably not a great strategy, actually... and it kind of misses some of the fun of the game, so to speak. This is a challenge to see if you can come up with someone cool given the constraints of a time limit and a particular requirement that Jedi randomly comes up with. It's really fun if you play it that way, actually, because it's a huge spur to creative thought. Seriously, none of this is professional, so just toss up whatever comes to you and have fun with it! We're all pretty much the opposite of Spikes here :P
We're seeing a lot of :W: child planeswalkers, I think I'm gonna have to make someone else just so its not too monochrome.

Am I ok to enter more than once? 
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
History
Show

When Angesy was 6 her everything but her body was taken over by Vampires. The Vampires Clans discovered Angesies hiding place when she was 8 and started pummuling her. An Angel came and bound herself to her and her Spark ignited and she has Several Powerful spells that Wiped the Vampires out.

Powers
Show

Angesy has Light Spells that Slaughter the undead, Weild Light, Summon Angels, and Shift Game Tides.

Angesy Lightmaster
Planeswalker - Angesy
Creatures can not Attack Angesy.
+2: Target Creature gains Flying, First Strike and Vigilance and +1/+1 until end of turn.
0: ~ Deals 3 Damage to up to 2 Target Creatures.
-4: Put a 5/5 White and Red Legendary Angel Creature Token named Unbound Archangel with Flying, First Strike and Vigilance into play then Transform ~.
<1>

Angesy Unbound (**)
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
If ~ or Unbound Archangle Dies then they both Die.
Double Strike, Vigilance, Protection from Black.
3/3

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

It's interesting so many of us pick :W: when children are often tiny, spiteful horrors. I think one really good one is all there's really room for in MEM or the main contenuity. If they're going to be a child there are new restrictions, and to make up for those you need to do something thematically unique or they could just be adults. And there's not much a kid can do with :G:, :U:, and to a lesser extent :B: themes an adult couldn't (certainly no insult to anyone using them).
Therefore I think we've intuited more or less the easiest way to do this is with :W: representing an idea of childish innocence and :R: representing their impulsive, impatient, emotional nature.
Thoughts?
I think it boils down to the fact that most people associate children with some faux innocence, and they want to build from that conception. That kids are pure by merit of not having been poisoned by the world yet.
If I were to play my hand with this, I think my character would end up a horrible little delightfully malicious entity like Klarion the Witch Boy from DC comics. A spiteful child that does what he wants because A) There's nobody to stop him and B) children are ruled by their id, just big balls of wants and desires unfiltered by social framework.

... if it's no surprise, I don't like children.
Nato, The Shattered.
Human Male
12 years old

Backstory
Show
Nato comes from a plane on the brink of destruction by a seemingly unstoppable plague. The disease attacks the spirit as well as the body, transforming the afflicted into inhuman monsters. These monsters, which were given the name Souldrinkers, consume the souls of the living, draining it from them as they draw closer to death. Most die from the process, but the few that survive become Souldrinkers themselves, their hollow shells desperately driving them to kill and consume to fill the emptiness inside them so they can once again be complete. Nato was ambushed by such a monster. He was easily overpowered and as it wrapped it's hand around his throat he could feel the life being drained out of him. Right before he blacked out his spark ignited, sending him to safety. While he still retained part of his soul, what was left was fractured, a growing brokeness threatening to collapse and make his transformation complete. He now needs to drain the souls from others to keep his own intact, at least until he can find a cure to save himself and his home.

Physical
Show
A small boy with moderate length brown hair. His left eye is green, his right eye is devoid of colour. His right arm is blackened, looking almost necrotic, with fingers ending in claws. He does his best to keep his face and arm covered at all times, usually with a brown cloak.

Personality
Show
He feels great remorse for the lives he has to take, and is sure to only take as much as he needs, going so far as to give back when possible. His driving force is to find a cure, a cause for which he would gladly give his life for. He does his best not to socialize on the planes he does visit, partially so his condition isn't discovered, partially because he didn't want to have to kill a friend.

Powers
Show
He has the ability to drain and return souls, consuming as much as needs and passing on the excess whenever possible.

+0: Sacrifice a creature, ~ gains loyalty counters equal to the sacrificed creature's converted manacost
-X: Return a creature with converted manacost X or less from your graveyard to play
-7: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature you control is sacrificed, each opponent sacrifices a creature"
At the beginning of each endstep, if a creature you control wasn't sacrificed this turn, ~ loses a loyalty counter
{2}
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
and yet I made my childwalker mono-black.  Is there something wrong with me?

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Yeah they're... frustrating. I think in all actuality giving a child this kind of power would end badly more times than not. But I think that would be the case for most adults as well, even good people when all threat of punishment is removed would probably at least ocasionally lapse into jerkass.
As to the super cynicism, I'd say it's not nearly so bad. I imagine an articulate child would essentially be Chanda Nalaar. Stupid, destructive, not actually all that evil.
Huh, a decent guy suddenly being really powerful and having to deal with increasing temptation (not to mention responcibility) would be a pretty good story. Like, you wake up one day and you're Superman, how well would you handle that?

I'd say not. Creepy Child is a trope for a reason.

Yes, you made a realistic human being!! Bad Tevish!!

I think it is simply that young children do often have a very strict concept of what is right and wrong (not necessarily based on a moral compass, simply what they have been told) whilst gray areas and compromises become a lot easier to handle when you get older.

Sort of how a child believes that a pinky promise is unbreakable. 
Show
Lourima Viiran

Physical Description
A girl on her way to womanhood, Lourima is not what most people would expect from an experienced Planeswalker and decently powerful mage aside.  She's of average height, and if she continues to grow will be a somewhat tall woman.  Customarily her skin is tanned and weathered, her lips pale and chapped, red-orange hair in gritty disarray, grey eyes heavy with pain and rage that should not burden one so young -- She might be pretty if she took care of herself and smiled more, but she's more than likely to look the part of a haggared urchin
Lourima has one other notable feature, though it is unlikely to be seen: Her back is marked by several long scars that must have been from deep wounds -- children, after all, do not scar easily.  What little remains after the interveening years looks bad enough to make one shudder.  How many more scars have faded away, and how many wounds didn't scar?

History
Lourima grew up, until her spark flared, on a backwater plane: a place of no great importance, whose name she cannot remember (or at least will not admit to remembering).  It's clear she had an unhappy childhood in some rural place, though she is quite tight-lipped about the exact details before her ascension.

"When I left home for the last time, It was the sound of screams and shouts I put to my back
. My mother begged me to come back, while my father roared that if I didn't that instant, I had better not ever.  What can I say?  I ran.  I ran so far, blindly, not looking ahead of myself because I did not care, not looking back because I was too scared to see what might be there.  I ran blindly until I tripped and fell, fell into what I've heard called the Blind Eternities.  I screamed and I cried, but no one and nothing could hear me, until finally I reached a far away place.

I was eight years old."

Lourima is now 14.  For the last six years she has traveled the planes, never stopping in any place for long, keeping to the roads and the byways, or else the blind eternities that ever beckon.

Philosophy & Psychology

"Humans are disgusting creatures.  If this is not so, then tell me why a father may bring pain and sorrow to his children.  Tell me why priests steal from those who praise their gods and make the flock feel hope even as all they really do is take it away.  Tell me why men would murder the helpless for the coins in their pockets.  Tell me why leaders would war with one another and sacrifice lives for their own vanity and arrogance.  Men speak of honor, but on the whole they have none at all.

And it is not just humans.  Do you think elves are less corrupt, hiding in their forests?  They are more arrogant yet, by in large.  Not goblins, not vedalken, not even angels can you trust.  Every world is cruel and wicked, and the only way to live in such a world is to be as cold and as cruel as it is.  You must take what you need, take what you want, and hang on to it so no one else can take it from you.  Power is the only law of the Multiverse."

Lourima believes two basic precepts.  First is that humans (and other sapients) are, in a general sense, beyond any hope of redemption.  She trusts no one, nor does she want to.  People are guilty until proven innocent in Lourima's mind, and it is an extraordinary claim that requres, then, extraordinary evidence.  It would take quite an act (or series of acts) from anyone to make Lourima believe a person above humanity's 'inherant evil'.

Second is that might makes right, even if it is wrong for it to do so.  In essence a warped concept of meritocracy, only power and the willingness to sieze it matter to Lourima.  With power comes no responsibility, and in fact nearly an imperitave to abuse that power for all that it's worth.  Like many young people, Lourima has yet to learn that just because you can doesn't mean you should, and given her personal power and her take on life, it's something she may never learn.

As a result of this, Lourima is utterly ruthless.  She sees nothing wrong about hurting or killing to get what she wants, and will often take the violent approach as her first resort if she thinks it will get her what she wants.

Lourima does have something of a soft spot for children, and won't hurt those she thinks are too young to understand and be tainted by the world yet

Powers
Lourima is a weilder of black magic, first and foremost.  She has a lot of raw strength, but despite getting an early start on magecraft, the self-taught planeswalker has absolutley no finesse or technique.  Simply throwing mana at the problem is usually enough to get her through whatever she needs to use magic on, and her obsession with grasping for further power leaves her blind to more efficent applications of force.  She is many things, but particularly cunning is not one of them.  Additionally, Lourima often fails to think ahead, and is liable to burn herself out if she underestimates her foe (In game terms, she'd use a lot of fast mana and 'X' Spells).  Lourima is capable of summoning -- whether the creatures she manifests are really her defeated and enslaved foes past, or simply her dreams thereof, it's unnerving to see broken hopelessness in the eyes of a vampire as a child commands it.

Cards

Building a deck to represent Lourima would start with a backbone of Dark Ritual and a smattering of black X-spells like Drain Life and Death Wind for various purposes.  She should probably also include Culling the Weak, Enslave, and Heartless Summoning.  Lourima is about brute force and domination, and would play to classic black tactics of paying long term resources for short term gains.

YMTC Planeswalker Card

Lourima Viiran

Planeswalker - Lourima
As an additional cost to cast Lourima, sacrifice X creatures and pay X life.
[+2]: Destroy target nonblack creature. It can't be regenerated. You lose life equal to that creature's toughness.
[-7]: Gain control of all permanents (This effect lasts indefinatley)
[X]

EDIT: Some small edits have been made to Lourima's voice in "Philosophy & Psychology"

Love it, but I have one nitpick. Children do scar easily. They heal faster, but scar easier.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
They'll go through fibrosis more easily, which makes scar tissue in the first place. But those scars will fade more quickly because their whole bodies are still set on growing. Regenerating is easy for them. Leaving lasting scars is more difficult on a child than an adult.
Then again I'm only going on what I think I know from prior booklearning. Anyone with an actual citation is welcome to trump me.

And for multiple entries in a single round, I'd discourage it. That might encourage people to mass-produce characters in a category they like well enough, drowning our the round with entries of potentially questionable quality. I'm not saying you'd do that. But it could happen.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.

Drena, the Curious
Human Female, 10 years old 

History
Drena was born on the small plane of Demia, a simple, agrarian plane, where the most exciting thing that occurred was defending from the odd baloth attack. Drena was, like most children, very curious. Unlike the others in her village, however, there was literally never enough knowledge to satisfy her. She absorbed skills like a sponge, retaining facts and theorems without fully realizing the ramifications of her knowledge. Not one to be stopped when the library’s books held no more secrets, Drena began exploring the surrounding countryside, hoping that nature would reveal its deepest secrets to her.

One day, when Drena was 7, she discovered a dark cave carved into a hillside far from her village. As she delved deeper into the cavern, the small light she was able to conjure grew weaker and weaker, as though something was drawing the light from the air itself. When the light was suddenly snuffed, Drena panicked, and took off deeper into the cave. She tripped on a loose rock and tumbled into a deep chasm, blacking out.

When she came to, Drena was on a beach in a world far from home. Drena has spent the next three years wandering the Multiverse, eagerly consuming any and all information she can find.

Drena, the Curious 1

+1 Look at target player’s hand

-2 Look at the top two cards of your library, then put any number of them on the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on top in any order.

-7 You get an emblem with “Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may draw a card.”

[3]

Show
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks Gamma_Mage for the awesome banner! IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/5b6c77c9b167a1916a659c5ddb3cf613.jpg?v=90000)

If it helps, mine's only ironically white.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

As for cards, I'm not so sure about those, feel free to tell me if you have an idea. I just really like the idea of a planeswalker based on scrying.

One of the ways 'Walkers are designed, is to find about three instants or sorceries that fit your 'Walkers theme and model them into powers.  Because of the nature of scrying, your already dipping into dangerous territory, but since you're not actually drawing cards, and you can only use the ability at sorcery speed, I think you could get away with giving your 'Walker a {+1} ability that is just "Scry 2" or "Scry 3."  The minus ability should probably try to keep your walker safe since your plus ability does not.  Unfortunately, Jace has pretty much cornered the market on bouncing things and Tamiyo took the "tap things down forever" power.  Since he's an aven, you could do an Island Sanctuary-like effect similar to "until your next turn, you can't be attacked except by creatures with flying and/or islandwalk."  As for the ultimate ability, I'm not sure.  It could be bird themed, involve an emblem, or be some form of super scrying.  Unfortunately, once again, ultimate deck manipulation has been taken already by Jace several times over and Tamiyo once.  I'd suggest finding a good blue or white spell that really would swing the game in your favor and model an ultimate off of it.

See Sahoni? That wasn't so bad, was it? ;)
Man, I wish I had time to enter this.  

Just so you all know, I am putting in a placeholder for a planeswalker.  Time will tell if I get a chance to do a real writeup or not.
-------------------------------------------------------------- "TAKE EVERYONE'S KEYS. Things are about to get awesome." -Steve Argyle
Planeswalker: Billa Artoule, the Rocketeer

History
Billa is the daughter of Izzet inventors on the plane of Ravnica.  She was an exciteable child, quickly learning and running around, usually with a purpose, but sometimes just for the fun of going fast.  When she turned 8, her mother and father brought her to the new steamworks and had her tested for her aptitudes.  She never finished the test, because she saw some guildmages flying outside the window using some kind of fire.  She immediately ran out of the room and found a set of pipes that took her to the outside of the building to watch these mages using their strange contraptions.  Her parents had to go outside and find her.  When they had located the girl, she was flying with the rocketeers, and knew what she wanted to be in the guild.  Since then she has passionately persued the art of rocketeering.  She has built many contraptions since then, trying to combine her passion with the idol of all Izzet guildmages, the dragon lord Niv-Mizzet.  She even won 1st place in the Niv-Mizzet idol contest once, for her age category (12-14 years old).  

When the end of the Guildpact came, at the age of 17, the lab she was working in came under attack by Dimir infiltrators, and she would have been killed if not for a rocket malfunction and her spark igniting.  She now travels the multiverse, bringing her enthusiastic love of speed and artifice to many planes.

Physical Description
Billa stands about 5 feet 5 inches tall, with brown hair and the trademark Izzet red and blue swirled irises.  She is usually dressed in what could be considered laboratory clothing, if your lab was a rocketry lab and you were using mana-charged fuels that might explode and level the place.  Heavy leather and fireproofed padding, with lots of pockets and pouches.  She looks like she was just in a forest fire, scorch marks and grime smeared over her clothes, with black soot in most everything.  She usually has her hair blown back, and there is soot smeared on her face and hands usually.

Philosophy & Psychology
Billa loves making things go fast, and going fast on them.  She doesn't really care for the serious types, and people who are concerned for thier own safety shuold go into inventing in the first place.  She loves to tinker with things, and is always sure there is another, better way to do something just around the corner.  She doesn't like when people tell her to slow down, or be quiet, and she is neither of those things.

Cards
As a rocketeer, she loves cards that give or have haste, artifacts and equipment that give mana or protection, and blue cards that let her learn more.  Her favorite creature is Hellkite Igniter and her favorite artifact is Sembalance Anvil and her favorite enchantment is Training Grounds.

YMTC Planeswalker Card

Planeswalker - Billa [3]
[+1]: Target creature gets haste and unblockable until end of turn.
[+1]: Exile target permanent, then return that permanent to play.
[-5]: Put a 3/3 haste, unblockable red and blue drake artifact creature token into play.  You gain an emblem with "Red and blue drake creature token you control get +1/+1 for each other similar token you control on the battlefield.  Activate this ability only when ~ has 8 or more loyalty counters on it.

EDIT: I just realized that these abilities are way out of the color wheel, but it still makes sense flavorwise, so whatever.  We have 'strap a jetpack on it and make it crazy' for the first ability.  Then we have 'send a magic rocket at something and mana-bounce it out and back to reality'.  Then we have the 'magical dragon rocket R&D' which is pretty awesome. It triggers both abilities every time, so you will end up with multiple 'my tokens are awesome' emblems.  Is that a good way to show the 'research' part of the fluff on the table?  I kind of want her 'little experiments' with the jetpack and rockets to build towards her 'big experiment' of a flock of rocket drakes going ZOOM!  

I am really glad this turned out the way it did.  I just imagine this teenage girl zooming through the air, in a very un-quiet fashion, going "WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!" and the loud rocket engines and making a huge ruckus.  She builds bigger and bigger rockets with dragon motifs, or dragons with rocket motifs depending on who is looking.  When she isn't doing that, she is perfecting her prototypes with field tests to see what works and what doesn't.  Did I do a good job?  A little feedback please, dear Sirs and Madams.
-------------------------------------------------------------- "TAKE EVERYONE'S KEYS. Things are about to get awesome." -Steve Argyle

To be fair, when I write up my character within the next few days, she is going to be mono-white with a VERY black personality ;) 
"There are probably seven persons, in all, who really like my work; and they are enough. I should write even if I were the only patient reader, for my aim is merely self-expression." ~H.P. Lovecraft

My Colors Are Green and Blue I value respect, honesty, acceptance, and trust. I love to tell stories and to experience new things. At my best, I am compassionate and creative. At my worst, I am detached and submissive. My enemies are Black and White.

Wow, so much to look through over the week. Sorry I've been out guys, made the last move out of my apartment today.

Multiple entries:

There can be only one entry per person per week. If you change your mind later, remove your old walker and add your new one (or just edit the post so that the new walker is there).

I will add that to the official rules at the begining.

Wow I really need to bring it with my child walker. I may have to put my idea on a back burner and create a new one whole cloth. Glad I waited. 
You are Red/Blue!
Man, this is good stuff. And Arbitracious is throwing his hat into the ring! Awesome!

Is it just me, or did Avacyn Restored somehow totally revitalize this place? I'm super psyched about that, personally.

My entry this week probably won't actually be up for vote, but this will prompt me to put together a bio for a character that actually exists in the Expanded Multiverse that's needed some expansion for a while...
Man, this is good stuff. And Arbitracious is throwing his hat into the ring! Awesome!

Is it just me, or did Avacyn Restored somehow totally revitalize this place? I'm super psyched about that, personally.

My entry this week probably won't actually be up for vote, but this will prompt me to put together a bio for a character that actually exists in the Expanded Multiverse that's needed some expansion for a while...

I think that it is Innistrad as a whole.

I know that that is what got me interested in the overall storyline of MTG. Ive been playing since Rise/Scars but the storylines were barely there for me during that, its Innistrad that caught my attention in that regard.
Show
I wonder if this focus on card-based stories will actually increase the community here... the loss of the books over time has depleted it, but this might bring it back stronger than ever, since this storytelling reaches a wider audience. Interesting...
I will say that while I'd only call Innistrad's story highly adequit the cards did and outstanding job on conveying flavor, and if that draws people further into the story, all for it. Also, it ended.
Well we hit a lull, so heres this. Not sure if I got everything across I wanted but:

Matal, the God Child

12 year old Human

Physical Description
Matal stands slightly taller than average for a boy his age. He is of olive complexion, with short messy black hair. His eyes are a deep emerald green, showing his arrogance and power. He has the build of a well fed, yet very active, child his age.

His clothing is similar to this, save with a gold mask covering his face:

History

From the day he was born Matal was treated special. He was prophesized to be a owerful individual. And he showed early with his gift. As a young child the plants, stone, and more of his home land responded to him. Flowers bloomed when he was happy. The volcano not so distant from his village would rumble and churn with his anger, and the earth would shake with his tears. The members of the area treated him as a God given mortal form. Matal wanted for nothing, and was given everything he ever wanted.

That was true until one of his attendants turned against him. He had been poisoned. He called for help, but none came. For the first time in12 years Matal was left to fend for himself. He writhed and screamed for he didn’t know how long. He still doesn’t know how he survived the poison, but he did learn there were other worlds. And he had the ability to walk between them.

When Matal returned to his world, he found his home in ruins. The village had been consumed as the land responded to his anguish. Matal now wanders the worlds demanding tribute, and shocked by a multiverse that doesn’t acknowledge his importance.

Philosophy & Psychology

Matal is a spoiled 12 year old not used to being told no, or ignored. He is haughty and proud. He is still a child, and he pouts and rages when things don’t go his way. Matal just doesn’t understand what is like to not be worshiped.

He wants instant gratification. Whatever strikes his fancy he will go after. And he has a child’s attention span, giving something up as soon as he has it. The only thing he hasn’t given up is his desire to be worshiped again.

Powers
Matal is a geomancer. He derives his power from the land around him. He has the easiest time with mountains and jungles/forests like the world he grew up on. With more practice/experience Matal may grow more comfortable with more adept at other landscapes. He often attacks through jagged stones, poisonous plants, carnivorous plants, magma jets, and even forming elementals of his own rage.

Cards

Landfall and Domain are the best examples of Matal’s magic. Jaws of Stone and similar spells are also good examples.

Matal doesn’t have much of a knack form summoning. Instead he protects himself with elementals and walls.

Other cards: Devastating Summons, Rude Awakening  

YMTC Planeswalker Card

[-1] When ever you tap a land for mana this turn add to your manapool one mana of a color that land could produce.
[-2] Search your library for a basic land card and put it into play tapped. Then deal damage equal to target creature or player equal to the number of basic land types amongst lands you control.
[-6] Untap all lands you control. Lands you control are 2/2 creatures with haste until end of turn.

[8] 

EDIT: Added picture and fixed a card, and added the card.
You are Red/Blue!
Man those 24 hour contests in the YMtC forum have spoiled me.  Waiting for this round to end is driving me crazy!

Sign In to post comments