05/11/2012 LD: "Nerd Gamer Christmas"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
What does this even have to do with Developing?

I enjoyed the article.  It's an interesting commentary on how formats do (and don't!) shift with the addition of one more set to the environment.  I particularly like the note about how a deck that used to be good can become good again.  A few years back, after Worlds, I decided that I liked the mono-Red Dragonstorm deck that had done well there, and since it seemed relatively cheap, I picked up the cards.  I didn't play Standard, though, so didn't think any more about it.  Meanwhile, it fell out of favor in competitive play.

A few months later, the City Championships series of store tournaments was in full swing, and I qualified for my store championship based on Limited success.  However, the store championship tournament was Standard, and I needed a deck.  I thought, "Well, I do have these cards for Dragonstorm, I guess I could build that."  I brought my Dragonstorm deck to the tournament, and behold!  Apparently the metagame had shifted to Green/Red ramp, against which combo-burn was very well suited.  After I beat them, my opponents congratulated me on my choice of deck for the event, and I made the finals and qualified for the City Championship tournament.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I'm guessing that Tribal Forcemage was actually a Primal one?
blah blah metal lyrics
Why does no one make any ramp decks? Somberwald sage is the most blisteringly fast ramp EVER!!!! My prediction: the winning deck will be something like this:

11 Forests
8 Mountains
7 plains

4 Avacyn's pilgrim
4 Somberwald Sage
3 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
3 Sigarda, host of Herons
4 Tyrant of discord
4 Craterhoof behemoth
3 Avacyn, Angel of Hope

4 Abundant Growth
3 Rush of Blood
2 revenge of the Hunted

With a perfect draw, this deck is making seven-drops hit the field on turn 3. I dare any deck on earth to go toe to toe with Gisela on turn 3 and win without sweeping their own board, particularly if Avacyn follows right behind. add sigarda and your team is absolutely unkillable. No deck should face this blistering ramp and live to tell about it.

Possible Sideboard:
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 Avacyn, Angel of hope
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Predator Ooze
2 Revenge of the Hunted
2 Naturalize

Just some alternative threats going here. If your turn three play is a huntmaster and a Predator Ooze, you are in good shape.
Why does no one make any ramp decks?

They do, it's called Wolf Run Ramp. Pretty consistant turn 4 Primeval Titan fetching Inkmoth Nexus and the deck's namesake. No god hand or flimsy creatures necessary.
Why does no one make any ramp decks?

They do, it's called Wolf Run Ramp. Pretty consistant turn 4 Primeval Titan fetching Inkmoth Nexus and the deck's namesake. No god hand or flimsy creatures necessary.

I don't think you guys are building for the same format.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Why does no one make any ramp decks? Somberwald sage is the most blisteringly fast ramp EVER!!!! My prediction: the winning deck will be something like this:

11 Forests
8 Mountains
7 plains

4 Avacyn's pilgrim
4 Somberwald Sage
4 Tyrant of discord
4 Craterhoof behemoth
3 Avacyn, Angel of Hope

4 Abundant Growth
3 Rush of Blood
2 revenge of the Hunted

With a perfect draw, this deck is making seven-drops hit the field on turn 3. I dare any deck on earth to go toe to toe with Gisela on turn 3 and win without sweeping their own board, particularly if Avacyn follows right behind. add sigarda and your team is absolutely unkillable. No deck should face this blistering ramp and live to tell about it.

Possible Sideboard:
1 Avacyn, Angel of hope
4 Predator Ooze
2 Revenge of the Hunted
2 Naturalize

Just some alternative threats going here. If your turn three play is a huntmaster and a Predator Ooze, you are in good shape.

You have seventeen cards that won't even come out if your Somberwald Sage doesn't make it onto the field, or dies.
Rush of Blood won't see play in any deck ever. Even if it does, it's completely pointless in this deck.
If you don't get a perfect draw, you're all kinds of screwed. Even if you get a perfect draw, the aggro decks this format boasts can race you. Aggro control will simply shut you down post-board.
The deck you have just proposed would get trashed in seconds. Good luck to you, though. Build it if you want. 
If Wizards put hundred dollar bills in each pack, players would complain that they weren't folded right.

11 Forests
8 Mountains
7 plains

4 Avacyn's pilgrim
4 Somberwald Sage
4 Tyrant of discord
4 Craterhoof behemoth
3 Avacyn, Angel of Hope

4 Abundant Growth
3 Rush of Blood
2 revenge of the Hunted

Possible Sideboard:
1 Avacyn, Angel of hope
4 Predator Ooze
2 Revenge of the Hunted
2 Naturalize

You have seventeen cards that won't even come out if your Somberwald Sage doesn't make it onto the field, or dies.
Rush of Blood won't see play in any deck ever. Even if it does, it's completely pointless in this deck.
If you don't get a perfect draw, you're all kinds of screwed. Even if you get a perfect draw, the aggro decks this format boasts can race you. Aggro control will simply shut you down post-board.
The deck you have just proposed would get trashed in seconds. Good luck to you, though. Build it if you want. 

This is me proposing an untested idea on my couch. Still, what is there to complain about in this deck? Flimsy creatures? Maybe. But Control can't kill us fast enough, and aggro is too preocuppied with their own casting to handle the sage yet. Once Gisela or anyone else is on the board, they are dead in a few turns. Reanimator "should" be fragile, yet lots of people play reanimator. Angels aren't humans you know, stromkirk noble can't fool em. If you want, main deck the huntmaster, add vessels of endless rest, do whatever you think would be better. And rulesinquisitor: thats standard, and i'm well aware of it. And what do you guys think mulligans are for anyway?