Pixie who doesn't want to be a pixie idea

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am in a Dark Sun realm campaign at the moment and we may end up doing a reboot of the story, as some people are getting bored with their characters. I know that you don't normally think Pixie when you think of Dark Sun but I like the race idea. My character concept isn't exactly min/max stuff but I am bringing here to the Character Op boards to hopefully get some help as to how I can turn it into a character that can survive the harsh world of Dark Sun. 

My inital concern, and the DM's concerns as well, is of course how does one add a pixie to Dark Sun? Well, the idea hit me in the last few days that there is a class option that you don't have to remain your own self at any point in the game; and that's of course a Druid. Wild Shape is a singular awesome power. I know pixie's don't get a +2 to Wis so they really aren't optimal for a druid build but I was thinking that it would be fun to play one. How a pixie got there in the first place is a whole other story concept that I am working on.

Another thing that struck me while I was reading up on the Wild Shape power is that a pixie can still fly when they change into a bird. Am I right when I think that if a human were to turn into a bird, they wouldn't be able to fly, because they lacked the inital fly speed?

I have googlefu-ed pixie druids here on the forums but I only got one or two threads and they weren't really helpful. I have been playing with the builder but I can't seem to get a build I like. I have heard of charging druid but I am not sure how to make one work with a pixie? Would a flying, charging primal pixie druid even be a viable option? 

The character would stay in wild shape all the time that it possbily could. It would probably sit on someone's shoulders and pretend to be a pet of some sort. Can a wild shaped druid speak common/the languages it would know?

Would a basic Druid be best, or would a Protector, with the feat to pick up Wild Shape, work better? Feat selection is mind boggling to me at the moment, what are some of the better feats a wild shapping druid should take?

I really have no base to show here, I am starting from the starting floor of character building and was hoping that some druid experts here could help. I am open to just about anything, with the exception of that it has to be a pixie and of couse a druid Smile We're at level 8 with the standard magic item selections. We don't play with the rarity rules, just the one level above, below and current level.

Edit - Thank you for any help you guys can give me! 
The pixie druid should be able to fly. 

With the feat streak of light they get automatic CA for charges and you probably want to go predator druid anyway because of the dex bonus.  You might want starting stats like 10 11 16 8 18 12.

You can make pretty much any race and class combo into a viable build in 4E and pixie druid has some good options.
This is probably going to sound like a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway:

What happens to a charger after they have charged one person and did their attack? How would this pixie druid be able to get itself back into position to charge again? I can see charging another piece on the board, but what if there are no other enemies?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but I haven't played a charging character before. What's the simplest way to avoid the opportunity attack and not waste a round trying to get back that 10ft needed to charge again?

Thanks for the stats suggestion, those look like what I was thinking of doing. Once I get a basic form down, I'll post it so you guys can get an idea of where I am going and to check to see if I have any mistakes.
Just want to point out that pixies are specifically called out as one of the races annihilated during the clensing wars. Make sure your DM is ok with ignoring that.
You also could have been turned into something pixie-like. A curse perhaps? Perhaps you look a little impish?
Play it as an offshoot of thri-kreen.  Larval stage, or something.

I suggest this because while pixies are the most awesome race in the game, the second most awesome is thri-kreen.  This is best of both worlds:  you get the little flitting annoying thing, and also get all the coolness that comes from being thri-kreen.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
keep in mind that just adventuring gear and hide armor weighs 58lb so sitting on someones shoulder can easly overburden them.
You could avoid druid all together by getting one of the new lycanthrope theams, but you would be pritty bad until lv 10.
^lol

But yes. Refluff to a not pixie. I am personal to a sentient elemental spirit/mote.
The thri-kreen off shoot is a neat idea. I may have to bring that up with the DM.

I was thinking that, since there are still tiny pockets of the fey wild in Dark Sun (cant remember where I read that but I remember it), the pixie was kicked out/imprisoned on the planet. For what I am not sure yet.  

But the whole pixie-not-pixie thing with the druid would help solve the issues of a pixie being in Dark Sun. 

I am just not sure of the build. I will post what I have in a bit, have to run some errands. 
To answer the OP's earlier question, as a druid you'll likely end up using savage rend as your attack and the end of your charge.  Savage rend includes a slide, which I'm sure the evil geniuses here can easily use as the linchpin for all sorts of nifty tricks.  At the very least it gives you a little breathing room to hopefully set up your next charge.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

I pointed this out in another thread.  If you could refluff a pixie, refluff a blink dog and take fey beast tamer.

XXX
TXBP
  XXX

T=target of charge
B=blink dog(refluffed)
P=pixie(refluffed)
X=blink dog aura1

Arange that set up.  You can teleport to another square in the blink dog aura1 as a move action.  You start behind the blink dog then charge.  You an either slide the target or just let it stay there.  On the next turn, you teleport back to the start, then charge again.  Rinse, repeat.  The thing about this set up is that you can use some of the teleport trigger items and still charge.
Yes I had noticed that litte Fey Beast tactic and was considering using it. I can refluff the companion to be something Dark Sun. It seemed to be the most DM friendly, rather than relying on a certain set of equips that can be easily taken away and then the character is screwed. I like that you can use teleport items now and the charge stuff, gives you more options.  
My inital concern, and the DM's concerns as well, is of course how does one add a pixie to Dark Sun?

There is a big dangerous forest, the Forest Ridge, from where the halflings come from in Dark Sun.

The feywild is weak in Athas, but the Forest Ridge is one of the location where the Feywild persists.

You could describe the pixies as predators of the Forest Ridge, generaly more interested in the striker role. You could be an exception.
But if Pixies are considered as having abandoned the Feywild to survive, then Halfling would be more logic than elven as a second language in the Forest Ridge.

Your DM can confirm the Feywild status in the Cosmology page of the campaign setting. So you don't have to limit you to the druid class to legitimate your pixie character Smile

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

I pointed this out in another thread.  If you could refluff a pixie, refluff a blink dog and take fey beast tamer.

XXX
TXBP
  XXX

T=target of charge
B=blink dog(refluffed)
P=pixie(refluffed)
X=blink dog aura1

Arange that set up.  You can teleport to another square in the blink dog aura1 as a move action.  You start behind the blink dog then charge.  You an either slide the target or just let it stay there.  On the next turn, you teleport back to the start, then charge again.  Rinse, repeat.  The thing about this set up is that you can use some of the teleport trigger items and still charge.

There's really no need to fuss about like this with a Pixie Druid.  You can guarantee yourself two turns of charge by charging adjacent, shifting back, charging into square, and you should be able to hit, and therefore slide and set up a new charge anyway...

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

There's really no need to fuss about like this with a Pixie Druid.  You can guarantee yourself two turns of charge by charging adjacent, shifting back, charging into square, and you should be able to hit, and therefore slide and set up a new charge anyway...

Man I am going to sound ridiciously stupid, but if you charge and hit with the druid power that slides the 1 and you use the boots of adept charging to shift back the 1, doesn't that leave room for the monster to just charge you on it's turn? It may set you up for another charge, but that's only if the bad guy doesn't come swinging at you, which knowing my DM it would. How do you set up a charge when the bad guy has taken up that room you tried to set up?

I guess that's what is confusing me about the whole charging thing.

I knew I had read somewhere that there were still bits of the FeyWild still in Dark Sun. But wouldn't a rogue pixie wandering around a sorcerer king's city draw some unwanted attention and probably get me killed? That's my problem, it's not a character that can easily just go galavanting around the world, going where ever it wants but as a crow druid it can.

I wish there was another easy way to hide a character's appearence so drastically. The few shape changing themes don't help a pixie out too much. I am missing 3ed's Hat of Disguise!
A hat of disguise keeps a pixie tiny. The wererat theme is another solution atlevel 10 and beyond, as you become small.
doesn't that leave room for the monster to just charge you on it's turn? It may set you up for another charge, but that's only if the bad guy doesn't come swinging at you, which knowing my DM it would. How do you set up a charge when the bad guy has taken up that room you tried to set up?

If you just charge a lone enemy then yes, they'll probably get in your face on their turn.  Instead, use charge, slide, shift, trick on an enemy tied down by your defender.

Badge of berserker is a single item that let you ping pong if such is your desire.  Not as good as re-charging a single target but it keeps you charging.

Boots of the Fencing Master will set you up for a re-charge for the price of a minor.

If you're not stuck on the druid idea, certain classes can do this easily.  Off the top of my head, thief and monk have no issue with it.

Regarding travelling around as a Pixie, couldn't you just hide in the cloak of another player?  I guess it would keep your social interactions / RP limited but it would let you be a Pixie.  Could also make for some pretty intense moments if you have to stealth around occasionally to avoid being found out.

And often times a good DM enjoys working character specifics into plot hooks and stories.  Having someone 'discover' a Pixie in the SKs city could be ripe story telling.
Polearm Momentum is, stat-wise, almost designed for a predruid.  Buff the slide a bit so you can send it out-and-back, leave it one square away.  It cannot charge you unless it has an AP and is willing to burn a standard to stand and move.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
As a pixie, you can stop flying, hide your wings and max your character Bluff skill to make people believe that you are farther from them than you actually are !

I just think that you will have to max your own Bluff skill to make this awesome trick pass your DM...

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

If you like the druid idea, you can also take stampede and move two squares after a charge. Just make sure you moved your target(savage rend), as it doesn't say that movement doesn't provoke. Also since you are doing savage rend, you can use an earthfall totem, +1d6 damage when you slide. Here is the link to my build, the RP idea is that it is a hawk that adventures with the party.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Play it as an offshoot of thri-kreen.  Larval stage, or something.

I suggest this because while pixies are the most awesome race in the game, the second most awesome is thri-kreen.  This is best of both worlds:  you get the little flitting annoying thing, and also get all the coolness that comes from being thri-kreen.

You sir just gave birth to a whole species in my next campaign.
Pixie executioner warlock hybrid with the level 2 encounter utility to create a humanoid illusion. Then take the feat for ghost sound at will. You can now travel around hidden and use your shadow + ghost sound to interact with others.
Personally, I like the idea of refluffing.  You can do the whole Feywild-pocket-exile thing, but for a Dark Sun campaign, it's fun to play something that really has that Dark Sun flavor.  The unknown/larval type of Thri-kreen is pretty awesome, as is the elemental mote idea, and they both are really connected to the setting.  Or you could be some kind of sorceror-king-magical-experiment-gone-wrong like the Dark Sun minotaur.  Maybe a kestrekel with human intelligence?  What it comes down to is having a full-time "beast form" without all of the mechanical restraints.

Just from my experience with DS, it's more fun to play something that belongs there - something that wouldn't necessarily work anywhere else.  You can play a pixie druid in any old campaign.  Plus, refluffing lets you play whatever you want/your party needs instead of being essentially forced into a specific build of a single class.

As for talking in beast form, I don't think it's entirely clear if you can or not.  Wild Shape doesn't say either way.  At the least, it could be a problem in social skill challenges.

As for talking in beast form, I don't think it's entirely clear if you can or not.  Wild Shape doesn't say either way.  At the least, it could be a problem in social skill challenges.

Wildshape changes none of your game statistics - therefore, if your race has the ability to talk then you can talk while wildshaped. By RAW, you can also ride a horse while shaped like one or climb a tree while shaped like a fish.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...