Reach; How it works.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello there!

I have a question about reach. How does this work with powers. Do all my melee powers become melee 2 powers? 

Enlighten me please!

Thank in advance,
Kees 
It depends on the course of the reach, but to avoid overcomplication, yes.

Specifically: if you're using a reach *weapon*, all your melee weapon powers gain a square of reach.  This doesn't affect powers with specified reach (melee #), close burst/blast powers, or melee touch powers.

If you're boosting reach with, for instance, a Superior Ki Focus, it affects only Implement powers (because superior implement properties only affect implement powers) and still not melee touch powers.

If you pick up an increase in your personal reach, for instance from the Eternal Defender ED, it affects your melee powers, includes melee touch powers, but still doesn't affect those with specified numeric reach.

To summarise: it depends how you got the reach, and what powers you have.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
It depends on the course of the reach, but to avoid overcomplication, yes.

Specifically: if you're using a reach *weapon*, all your melee weapon powers gain a square of reach.  This doesn't affect powers with specified reach (melee #), close burst/blast powers, or melee touch powers.

If you're boosting reach with, for instance, a Superior Ki Focus, it affects only Implement powers (because superior implement properties only affect implement powers) and still not melee touch powers.

If you pick up an increase in your personal reach, for instance from the Eternal Defender ED, it affects your melee powers, includes melee touch powers, but still doesn't affect those with specified numeric reach.

To summarise: it depends how you got the reach, and what powers you have.

Thank you very much! I will look into this matter for my next character.

That's not correct, if you have an implement power with a range of melee touch then a Transcendent Ki Focus will increase the reach, because it's a melee implement power.  This is the bulk of monk powers, for instance.  And it's not just melee touch:  if a melee implement power had a range entry of Melee 2, then you would increase that by 1.

I realize that this is a departure from the conventional wisdom about Melee # attacks and reach, so it's important to be specific.  The Warden weapon power Thorn Strike has a range entry of Melee 2.  Using a Greatspear doesn't change this number, because of how reach for weapons is defined.  No matter what the reach of your particular weapon (could be anything ranging from zero to infinity, theoretically), Thorn Strike is a weapon power with Melee 2.  If you were to use Staff Expertise, using its wording "the weapon's reach increases by 1."  But Thorn Strike doesn't use the weapon's reach, so it doesn't help.  But if you were to take a feat that had a wording like Transcendent, "the reach of your melee attacks increases by 1" then Thorn Strike would be Melee 2+1.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Wow interesting but complicated stuff. My native language is not english. So all those different ways of putting it, look all the same to me. Could someone summarize it for me, please?
Honestly, you should probably just ignore me for the time being.  This sort of thing is one of those arcane little word debates that often happen here.

Bottom line:

If you're using a weapon, and you use a power that says "Melee Weapon" then your reach is your weapon's reach.  This is most often 1, but could be 2 if you're using a reach weapon.  If you're using a power that says "Melee Touch" then your reach is your touch reach, which will be 1 for the vast majority of PCs.
If power says - weapon keyword - you can attack what your weapon can reach - that is one hex away (most simply) - or two hexes away with a weapon with reach.
If a power says melee 1 or melee 2 or melee 5 - - then any distance up to that is where the attack can be made. 

Currently all Player races (including Pixie) have a reach of one  - meaning their hands (touch attacks) or weapons can hit the adjacent square. Tiny creature have a reach of zero - meaning they can only attack the square they are in ( Tiny creatures ususally appear as swarms - [a type of monster])

It is possible to get reach higher -eg the Epic destiny Eternal defender mentioned   - but its rare.
If power says - weapon keyword - you can attack what your weapon can reach - that is one hex away (most simply) - or two hexes away with a weapon with reach.

This is incorrect.  It needs to say 'Melee weapon' for your weapon's reach to apply.  Close weapon attacks do not take account of your reach by default.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
well, if the range says "close burst weapon" then you do get reach.  The "weapon" part in the range, not the keywords, is what determines whether you get reach or not
True.  DOes such a power exist?  Cos it would be awesome with a Blade of the Eldritch Knight...
well, if the range says "close burst weapon" then you do get reach.  The "weapon" part in the range, not the keywords, is what determines whether you get reach or not

No, that's incorrect. Reach affects Melee Powers only. A range like this doesn't exist.

RC 270 Reach: With a reach weapon a creature can make melee attacks against enemies that are 2 squares away from it as well as adjacent enemies. 

RC 200 Reach: A creature's size affect its reach, which is measured in squaes. A creature's reach can influence several things in the game, such as how far the creature can reach out to touch or grab something, as well as the range of some of its melee powers. See ''Melee Powers'' page 99 for how reach can affect the range of certain melee powers.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter