(Contest - 1 round) Shot of Ed #4

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yep, that's right, only fresh for 48-60 hours. Get it while it's hot!

Basic Rules
1) Only one card per person, unless the criteria specifically asks for multiple cards.
2) Anybody may post a card as long as the contest has not been officially closed.
2a) Official contest closing text, if it appears in a post by me by itself: CONTEST CLOSED
3) No Un-cards, unless the criteria has specifically stated "Un-cards allowed."
4) With exception to specific criterias asking for a color pie break, don't break the color pie. Stretching the pie is okay if you can give a valid arguement or if you know I'm in support of such a stretch. (lifelink in green; only one I'm giving out for free)
5) Try to keep your wording as accurate and up-to-date as possible, preferably in English (Actually, I believe the forum rules state that you must post in English only...).
6) I think any other rules I could come up with are already in the Code of Conduct and Terms of Use stuff, so...read those if you haven't already.

Evergreen Grading Categories
Wording - Does it use proper game terms and is it clear what the card is trying to do?
Power Level/Balance - Are you sure this card can't be considered overpowered or underpowered?
Flavor - Everybody has a different idea of good flavor, and I'm terrible at explaining my thoughts, so...you're on your own here.
Fits Criteria - Did you stick to it?
Proper Card Elements - Does your card have all the necessary elements for its card type?

Your criteria for this round/contest: Make a card with any ONE (1) nonevergreen keyword or ability word from the original Ravnica block and ONE (1) nonevergreen keyword or ability word of your choice from outside of Ravnica block. Evergreen keywords are allowed to be used (just in case it wasn't clear). No Un-set keywords and ability words please.

Reference
Ravnica Keywords and Ability Words (in no particular order)
Hellbent (ability word)
Forecast (looks like an ability word BUT: it's not)
Graft
Radiance (ability word)
Bloodthirst*
Haunt
Convoke
Transmute
Replicate
Dredge

*Special Ruling for Bloodthirst X (as defined in the Comp Rules and by the card Petrified Wood-Kin)--"Bloodthirst X" means "This permanent enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the total damage your opponents have been dealt this turn."
Comp Rules entry 702.52b

{I was going to put a list of all the other nonevergreen keywords and ability words here, but then I figured everyone would know what exactly they've always wanted to pair with their favorite Ravnica keyword so there'd be no real need to post them}

Optional Reading
What can I say? I really liked the Ravnica keywords and ability words and enjoy seeing what crazy combinations people can come up with.

Posting may commence.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Quetharid -
Creature - Horror
Haste
Dredge 4
Delve 4
4/1
They feast on the forgotten, then they feast on the living.
Show
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Infectious Agent
Creature - Human Mutant [Rare]
Graft 2
Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it deals combat damage to a player, proliferate.
After the Simic fell to Phyrexian forces, the spread of the contagion grew exponentially.
0/0
Infectious Agent
Graft 2
Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it deals combat damage to a player, proliferate.
After the Simic fell to Phyrexian forces, the spread of the contagion grew exponentially.
0/0

LOL! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I built a budget Graft Proliferate deck that owned face for awhile before I ruined it. Still trying to fix it
Beautiful lol. 
Show
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Infectious Agent
Graft 2
0/0

LOL! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I built a budget Graft Proliferate deck that owned face for awhile before I ruined it. Still trying to fix it
Beautiful lol. 

D'aaaaw, you're making me blush! A girl just tries her best, y'know.
Creeping Terror
Land
Creeping Terror enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
:Creeping Terror becomes a 2/2 black and green Zombie creature with undying and deathtouch until end of turn. It is still a land.
Dredge 3
Time Spiral block has some good examples of this, like Gibbering Descent and Sprout Swarm.

Omniscience
Enchantment

You may look at the top card of your library. (You may do this at any time.)

Forecast - , Reveal Omniscience from your hand: Scry X. Spend only blue mana this way.
Time Spiral block has some good examples of this, like Gibbering Descent and Sprout Swarm.

Yes it does. But there have been new keywords added to the game since then, so there's bound to be some pretty sick combinations out there. And also some that would seem sick, but in actual practice aren't.

I'm just going to put out there that there are three combinations I can think of that, should anybody else realize them, will blow everybody's mind. If and only if they can truly comprehend what exactly those combinations entail. I'm sure there's more, but my mind can only handle three mindblows in a row. If I realize that fourth one, I might go into a coma.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)

After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Workspace

Sorcery [MR]
Each player exiles all creature cards from his or her graveyard, then sacrifices all creatures he or she controls, then puts all cards he or she exiled this way onto the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters.
Dredge 3
Miracle
"This doesn't work how I thought it would... "
-- DaytimeLantern

Everdying Fern
Creature - Plant Horror
Graft 1
Persist
0/0

Sorcery
Shuffle target card in your graveyard into it's owner's library.
Cycling
Dredge 2

Sorcery
Creatures you control get +x/+x and gain trample until end of turn, where x is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
Cycling
Dredge 3 

Cadaverous Might
Sorcery [R]
Creatures you control get +X/+X and gain trample until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
Cycling
Dredge 3
Secret's of a Demon |
Sorcery (Mythic Rare)
You may play up to three cards from your hand this turn by paying life equal to thier converted mana cost without paying thier mana costs.
Transmute (, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as this card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Transmute only as a sorcery.)
Madness (If you discard this card, you may cast it for its madness cost instead of putting it into your graveyard.)
"Give me a favour, and I will give you knowledge. Give me your life, and I will give you power..." -  Rahment, Demon Lord

Cheers, vlord.
Mutaratis

Creature – Insect Horror
5/3

Transmute
Transfigure

It takes the form of your worst fear.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Dimir Æthermorph 
Creature - Shapeshifter
You may have Dimir Æthermorph enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield except it gains "Transfigure (, Sacrifice this creature: Search your library for a creature card with the same converted mana cost as this creature and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library. Transfigure only as a sorcery.)"
Transmute (, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as this card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Transmute only as a sorcery.)
Versatility in its purest form.
0/0

Edit:  Wow, I totally got ninja'd while working on mine off-screen.....

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Rix Soulwalker
Creature - Human Spirit
Haunt, Transfigure
Creatures haunted by ~ have Transfigure X where X is equal to their mana cost.
When a creature haunted by ~ dies, put ~ onto the battlefield under your control.
2/2
No soul of his own, he was forced to try on others.

EDIT: Transfigure apparently is yearning for some design space! 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Devourer of Consciousness -
Creature - Horror
Madness
Hellbent-  If you have no cards in your hand, Devourer of Consciousness gets +4/+4 and has flying and trample.
Exile a card from your graveyard: regenerate Devourer of Consciousness.
3/3

One With Nothing tech.  :3
Critical Reinforcement 
Sorcery
Search your library for a green creature card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't cast spells. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability.)
Replicate (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
''Wars are won with dedication, discipline, strategy.. and brawn''

I think if this was ever printed, reminder texts would be dropped.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Critical Reinforcement 
Sorcery
Search your library for a green creature card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't cast spells. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability.)
Replicate (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

....You are my new god.
@Sebanovich: In my head, I keep thinking that your card can't possible work.  But every time I work it through, I can't seem to find any reason why it can't.  Masterful job.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Tendrils of Tormenting Time
Sorcery (U)
Suspend 3 - 
Target player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
Whenever Tendrils of Tormenting Time is exiled from your graveyard, put three time counters on it.
Haunt (When this spell card is put into a graveyard after resolving, exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature Tendrils of Torment Time haunts dies, target player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life. 
Critical Reinforcement 
Sorcery

....You are my new god.

oh my.. thanks

I'm fixing the replicate cost right now as I think I can take it down by one mana (for further fun).
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Fist of Boros -

Artifact - Equipment
Sunburst - (This enters the battlefield with 
a charge counter for each color of mana
spent to cast it.)
Radiance - (Each other creature that shares
a color with Equipped creature gets +X/+X,
where X is the number of charge counters
on Fist of Boros)

Equip  

"Feather herself was not a warrior, but
those who fought for her found themselves
capable of great things." 
Legion Of Selesnya:gwm::gwm::gwm::gwm::gwm:
Creature — Human Beast  (0/0)
Trample,convoke (Each creature you tap while casting this spell reduces its cost by 1 or by one mana of that creature's color.)
Devour 3 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with three times that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
Remove three +1/+1 counters from ~ :Choose one — Regenerate ~ ;or until end of turn,~ gains hexproof.

Izzet Evercast
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.) (Color Indicator: )
Instant
Splice onto Instant or Sorcery (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
"You can never have too much of a good thing...or a bad thing...or anything." -Izzet philosophy
Izzet Evercast (Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.) (Color Indicator: ) Instant Splice onto Instant or Sorcery (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.) Replicate (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.) "You can never have too much of a good thing...or a bad thing...or anything." -Izzet philosophy

Very cool. they should do as you have and reintroduce Splice onto other types. Maybe Splice spells that add counters, or splice spells that put on an enchantment or... or... other cool stuff.
Show
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Obligatory warning of impending end of contest/round. If you haven't figured it out yet, this serves as giving everybody a second chance to double check your cards if for some reason you're not happy with it or if you think the wording needs some fixing.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Simic Ghoul
Creature - Zombie Mutant

Undying, Graft 2

2/2

Many Simic experiments kill their subjects, unfortunately, not all of them stay dead. 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Scrap Chimera
Artifact Creature - Chimera

Graft X.
Modular X.

-1/-1

Cobbled together they live only to be scavenged.
CONTEST CLOSED

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Vlad, Count of Slaughter -
Legendary Creature - Vampire
Bloodthirst 3
Undying
When ~ dies, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
"Seeking blood it fell, and from blood, he will rise again."
2/2

Edit: ack, 2 minutes too late D:

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Screenshots taken. I'll have grades up when they're done.

@Fenix: Sorry I sarnath'd you. D:

{edit} Twas a busier night of work than usual (yay for living in a college town; graduation was apparently last night), so I was not able to focus on grading as much as I would have liked. And I unfortunately made plans for later today, so I have no idea when I'll get back to grading. It might be Monday before I can post them.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

GRADES

blurrymadness
Well, at first glance this looks like it'd be ridiculously overpowered. A 4/1 haste for 1? That fuels itself? But, the longer I look at this, the more it seems to be balanced enough. Because, yeah, it fuels its own Delve...hey wait, why do you have a number next to Delve? :/ Delve doesn't use numbers...dangit, I missed that on my first glance...that better not be indicative that one exiled card makes this cost less to cast. Cause if it does, then the first impression sticks. Anyways...trying to get back to my original train of thought: Dredge 4 isn't that bad on this card if you're exiling those cards to get a 4/1 with Haste for 1. You're milling yourself irreparably to get a cheap beater. So not as overpowered as it first looks, but still pushing at that boundary.
First Impression - .5/1
Second Take - .5/1
Flavor - 1.4/2
Power Level/Balance - 1.7/2
Wording - 1.8/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Proper card elements - 1/1
Total - 7.9/10

Jessica_Morgan
Definitely looks and feels like a rare, but being a rare...I would expect this to cost a little less. Especially with that much weight in blue. I could see this being fairly costed at as low as , but would definitely prefer to see it at first. When compared to Cytoplast Manipulator, which gains control of creatures, I honestly don't see how proliferate is worse/more powerful. I also don't see how only Phyrexia gets access to proliferation, but since they've been the only ones so far who've had access to it...eh *shrugs*.
First Impression - .8/1
Second Take - .7/1
Flavor - 1.7/2
Power Level/Balance - 1.5/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 8.7/10

SimonGlume
I like that you made a manland in an enemy pair. It's doubly impressive to see a land with undying. And dredge. Shall be hard to keep this land in a graveyard, short of destroying it and promptly exiling it. I'm a bit iffy on the Dredge 3 (as higher numbers tend to allow more breakable interactions), but given that this is more likely to die as a creature (and thus give you fewer chances to dredge it back), I'm not greatly worried.
First Impression - 1/1
Second Take - 1/1
Flavor - 1.7/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.4/10

Grumman
Fair cost for the enchantment part, but the forecast cost...kind of warrants a double take. Because at first, Scry X for X seems pretty darn powerful. Even if you are only allowed to spend blue on it. But then, you are only allowed to activate this ability during your upkeep, which makes the likelihood of activating the ability with a large value for X very low until late game situations, at which point a player should be entitled to such large X costs.
First Impression - .7/1
Second Take - 1/1
Flavor - 1.8/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.2/10

DaytimeLantern
This is interesting because the Cycling ability can be used to instead fuel the spell's effect. Because when you would draw a card, this card is in your graveyard and you can replace the draw with putting the top 3 of your library into your graveyard and returning this to your hand. Certainly an interesting take on the Overrun variety of spells. At first glance, it looks like you could drop the cost to cast a little, but then on second thought it makes sense that you'd cost it that high and have the cycling cost so low. In fact, you could probably increment the cycling cost up by and the casting cost down by and this card would still be perfectly balanced. Well, so long as the casting cost remained at or above 4 cmc.
First Impression - .8/1
Second Take - .9/1
Flavor - 1.9/2
Power Level/Balance - 1.8/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.4/10

vlord
The very first thing I think when I see this is "No." For an extra black, you should not be able to search your library for a 7 cost card with which to spend life on to cast for free. If the effect didn't leave it open for the turn (as in, made you choose whether or not to cast during the resolution of the spell), then the card would be okay. Because if you Transmute this and choose to cast for its Madness, you'd cast the spell before getting your 7 cmc card. Now, why else do I not like the idea of fetching a 7 cost card to pay 7 life to cast later? Because I know of two cards from recent sets which would either break even or net you a gain immediately: Pelakka Wurm and Sorin's Vengeance. Now, if you were to put a lot more color weight on this card's Madness and/or Transmute cost (I'm pretty sure there's a reason none of the the Transmute cards cost less than 1CC or 1CD to activate so far), it'd be more balanced. Still powerful (and definitely worthy of Mythic Rare), but even Mythics can't get away with being totally broken (for long). Slight wording issue: Should be "instead of paying their mana costs" instead of "without paying." Also, but this doesn't count against the card, "play up to three cards" encompasses land cards, of which you'd still be restricted to one per turn unless the choice to play these cards was made as part of the resolution of the spell. You'd probably be best making this card say "You may cast up to three spells from your hand..."
First Impression - .2/1
Second Take - .4/1
Flavor - 1.9/2
Power Level/Balance - .9/2
Wording - 1.9/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 7.3/10

CKY
Simple and to the point. Interesting flavor. Really not much to say. Good EDH card.
First Impression - .6/1
Second Take - .6/1
Flavor - 1.8/2
Power Level/Balance - 1.9/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 8.9/10

AzureShade
Less simple than CKY's card (which, if I had to assign/guess a rarity for, would be common or uncommon), but your card has the look and feel of a rare so that's to be expected. I like that it can fetch another creature of whatever cmc you happen to need, provided there's a creature with that cmc on the battlefield already. Pushing the pwer level a bit at 3 cmc to cast, but they've been doing that lately for Clones so...at least it isn't as bad (read: overpowered) as Phantasmal Image.
First Impression - .8/1
Second Take - .8/1
Flavor - 1.8/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.1/10

Dudibus
This is an interesting card. With some unnecessary wording (maybe--is it supposed to be Transfigure or, if haunting a creature with mana cost , would that be the transfigure cost? If the situation is true, then you should lop off the "X where X is"; if the situation is true, you need to have it say "converted mana cost"), but interesting nonetheless. Of course, you realize, if you activate this guy's Transfigure, you have to haunt something before you get the new creature, right? So, if you don't control any other creatures and your opponent controls a few, you've just given your opponent a Transfigure ability. And if nobody has any creatures, he just dies. And sits in your graveyard for all eternity.
First Impression - .9/1
Second Take - .7/1
Flavor - 1.8/2
Wording - 1.9/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 8.9/10

SleetFox
Madness + Hellbent, pretty obvious pairing. I like how this creature gets bigger as long as you have no hand, but I'm surprised it's not a Demon. But then again...there was a time in Magic's history when they got rid of the Demon type altogether and replaced it with Horror, so...I suppose it is a Demon without being a Demon? Eh, either way, awesome card.
First Impression - .9/1
Second Take - .9/1
Flavor - 1.9/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.4/10

Sebanovich
Well, at first glance, I didn't see what the point of this combination was. "You're not casting the copies, so you can't replicate when it gets put on the stack..." But then, I saw why everybody else was making such a big todo about it. And for anybody else who was missing the point, here it is: You replicate it when you cast it the first time, each copy from Replicate also has Epic, so for the rest of the game you get however many copies you made through Replicate at the beginning of each upkeep. I did not see this coming at all. As such, this is definitely something that would require a LOT of mana invested into it to make it fair. And I think you did a good job of picking a fair Replicate cost.
First Impression - .6/1
Second Take - 1/1
Flavor - 2/2
Power Level/Balance - 2/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.6/10

ulyth
A lot of interesting combinations have been put forward this round. I like how this pretty much gives you a countdown to kill the creature you've haunted. I'd argue that you could bring down the color weight on this while keeping the same cmc. I'm also sure a lot of people would complain about how much room the text would take up on a card, but frankly I don't care. It'd be worth it for this kind of spell.
First Impression - .8/1
Second Take - .8/1
Flavor - 1.9/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.4/10

Taramoor
Ehhh...nice combination, but the wording needs work. First off, only reminder text goes in parenthesis. Radiance doesn't mean the same for every effect, so explaining what that does does not go in parentheses. Secondly, the only italicized words are ability words, reminder text, and flavor text. Sunburst is not an ability word, it is not italicized. And then looking at the effect of the Equipment...the flavor text kind of explains why it only buffs other creatures, but I still don't see how this fist is what's causing that buff to the other creatures. Not to mention, with a full Sunburst, this thing can get out of hand pretty quickly. The equip cost should definitely be raised to counteract this, residing at either 4 or 5 mana to equip. The last equipment to do something like this buffed the creature it was equipped to as well and had a max effect of +2/+2 to all creatures. And that equipment was Konda's Banner.
First Impression - .4/1
Second Take - .5/1
Flavor - 1.3/2
Power Level/Balance - 1.5/2
Wording - 1.7/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 7.4/10

tmich
...Failure on flavor, because the Selesnya would never devour other creatures (but the Golgari or Gruul might). And while the mana cost has never been seen done with both hybrid and nonhybrid allied colors, I would imagine that the hybrid symbols would go between the colors which it shares, in this case the nonhybrid green mana symbol goes to the far left, then your string of hybrid, and then the white nonhybrid mana symbol.
First Impression - .1/1
Second Take - .1/1
Flavor - 0/2
Power Level/Balance - 1/2
Wording - 1.9/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 5.1/10

McKinzie
Yes, this is exactly how Splice should be done. Don't put it on subtypes only, put it on card types too. But as for the added Replicate cost...I'm not sure if that would apply to the spliced spell in time to pay for it. =/ Were it an ability like...uh...hmm...actually, no other abilities from Ravnica block would really go here, except Haunt. But even then, the Haunt would just exile the card from the graveyard and not really do anything else. Of course, I could be wrong and the Replicate is added just in time to allow you to pay the additional cost. In which case, Splice and Convoke could work as well.
First Impression - 1/1
Second Take - .9/1
Flavor - 1.8/2
Power Level/Balance - 1.6/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.3/10

Morgothra
This is interesting. Simple, not much to say about it, but interesting. I could see this being printed as an uncommon card, and the ability to get rid of its +1/+1 counters makes this likely to just keep coming back for more.
First Impression - 1/1
Second Take - 1/1
Flavor - 1.7/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.5/10

Megaboarian
And another simple but interesting card. I like the revival of the Chimera creature type. Not so much that it doesn't do exactly as its predecessors did (only affected other Chimeras when they died), but I can let that slide.
First Impression - 1/1
Second Take - 1/1
Flavor - 1.8/2
Wording - 2/2
Fits Criteria - 1/1
Total - 9.7/10

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Winner
Megaboarian

Runner-Up
Sebanovich

FYI: The main "mindblow" combination I was referencing earlier was Replicate + Kicker. Which doesn't seem as much of a mindblow now that I've realized what can be done with Replicate + Epic.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Since I didnt make it in time for the contest, I'm just curious, what do you think of my card?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Since I didnt make it in time for the contest, I'm just curious, what do you think of my card?

I really don't have a large vocabulary when it comes to expressing how interesting I find something, so..."it's interesting" is about as good as I can spit out. However, I can go into detail about what I find interesting, and hopefully that will relay some of the...magnitude?...of how interesting I find the card: For four mana, you either get a 2/2 that, when it dies (and assuming you stack the triggers properly) it comes back as a 6/6, or you can deal damage to an opponent before you play it to get a 5/5 that deals 2 damage to an opponent or a creature when it dies, but most likely won't come back. There've been other creatures that cost the same and were a little more useful, but then again those creatures weren't as large-bodied or capable of becoming as large-bodied through their own power. So your card is fairly costed, and I suppose properly balanced (I could see it existing as a non-Legendary permanent, but it'd have to be a rare or mythic rare).

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Sign In to post comments