05/10/2012 FtL: "Common Nonsense"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Too bad it's not blue or black, but Kruin Striker seems like it could have a place in that last deck.
Well Regarding deadeye navy~ could play around with it pairing with any titans would be extra sick since titans is already powerful in standard...frost titan can lockdown almost every creature of your opponents just for multiple times of 1U mana...two times same as every turn frost breath~ and attack with deadeye navy himself and deadeye navy himself is a five power is quite a large chump of your opponents life...plus the activated ability is not pay and tap to activate...so other surprise defender will just get tapped with another flicker of frost titan...but everything will be solved as long as it doesn't get paired...so it is another creature to protect with all cost...plus solving the mana problem...like playing UG ramp? will be fine i guess...O.O is the most basic use of him anyway =w= haha~ cont thinking of other interesting stuff...
Morselhoarder + Essence Warden?

(Or replace Morselhoarder with the individually cheaper pieces Priest of Gix or Urabrask + Gemstone Array, but that's more colors for the deck to take on.)
this is my Deadeye Navigator Deck

4#Cloudshift
2#Goldnight Redeemer
4#Restoration Angel
4#Deadeye Navigator
4#Ghostly Flicker
4#Mist Raven
4#Nephalia Smuggler
2#Conjurer’s Closet
1#Geralf’s Mindcrusher
3#Pierce Strider
2#Glimmerpoint Stag
1#Precursor Golem
1#Venser, the Sojourner
4#Seachrome Coast
9#Plains
11#Island

What this deck does:
Spam Golems
Enemy life loss
Life gain
Milling
Send back creatures
Save your own creatures

I am still working on the sideboard and it really needs a Frost Titan or two, or maybe a splash of black with skinrender ;) ...Maybe you can help me with that..

Greetings Wesley
Here are some good cardswith Deadeye. (no particular format)

Prime Time+Amulet of Vigor
Mystic Snake
Draining Whelk (The snake is generally better because it's cheaper, and counters on a body you're flickering all the time are almost useless.) 
Coiling Oracle
Nevermaker
Dominus of Fealty (Flicker the Deadeye, bond it to the stolen creature, then flicker the new creature to keep it permanently.)

Mana base should include as many duels as possible, to maximize the Amulet. The best land would be Breeding Pool. Seaside Citadel should also be in there. Remember that multiple Amulets mean you can tap your land more than once when they ETB.

Putting this together into a decklist...

4 Amulet of Vigor
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Deadeye Navigator
4 Dominus of Fealty
4 Mystic Snake
4 Nevermaker
4 Primeval Titan
4 Rampant Growth
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Seaside Citadel
5 Forest
7 Island.
Deadeye Navigator, Primeval Titan and Amulet of Vigor gets all the land in your deck into play. Then you can just cast some X spell for the win next turn.

The Navigator costs 6 and to use him in a deck, you'd want the mana to flicker him the turn he comes out to protect him, which means quite a bit of mana, which means playing green (or infinite mana shenanigans like mentioned above). There's the aforementioned Titan for mana, and the usual elves and stuff, and land tutoring.

What to flicker? Acidic Slime becomes ": destroy target artifact, enchantment, or land." See also Mist Raven and Phyrexian Ingester. Gryff Vanguard becomes ": draw a card." Soul of the Harvest works well with all of these. You could make a golem deck by flickering Splicers.

Rules question: If you flicker Dungeon Geists repeatedly in response to its ETB trigger, what happens? Do you get to tap-and-keep-tapped one creature for each time you flickered it, or just once, or what?
Deadeye Navigator, Primeval Titan and Amulet of Vigor gets all the land in your deck into play. Then you can just cast some X spell for the win next turn.

The Navigator costs 6 and to use him in a deck, you'd want the mana to flicker him the turn he comes out to protect him, which means quite a bit of mana, which means playing green (or infinite mana shenanigans like mentioned above). There's the aforementioned Titan for mana, and the usual elves and stuff, and land tutoring.

What to flicker? Acidic Slime becomes ": destroy target artifact, enchantment, or land." See also Mist Raven and Phyrexian Ingester. Gryff Vanguard becomes ": draw a card." Soul of the Harvest works well with all of these. You could make a golem deck by flickering Splicers.

Rules question: If you flicker Dungeon Geists repeatedly in response to its ETB trigger, what happens? Do you get to tap-and-keep-tapped one creature for each time you flickered it, or just once, or what?

if you flicker at opponents turn...tap one each flicker...so kinda defensive tapping but you can swing with mostly no opposition on your turn...i think as far as i know bout the rules~ if wrong do correct me...

Every creature you target with the ability will tap, but only the final instance of the ability (IE: the one that resolves first off the stack) will keep the creature locked down.  Every other instance of the ability on the stack is referencing a version of Dungeon Geists that no longer is on the battlefield, since each time you flicker it a "new" Dungeon Geists is showing up.  The "Keep this tapped until" duration will already have passed because the Geists left the field before the duration even started.

Example: You flicker the Geists to tap down 4 copies of Mons Goblin Raiders and a Goblin Hero, in that order.  All 5 creatures will tap, but only the Hero will stay tapped while the Geists stay in play, since the "version" of the Geists that tapped the Raiders will have already left the battlefield, fulfilling the end condition of the Geist's lockdown duration.
Shouldn't the tragic slips be bone splinters?  Then that would allow the sacrifice of Phantasmal image.
Also, I might go mortar pods instead of Typhoid Rats.
How about pairing it with a Stonehorn Dignitary? Basically spending 2 mana every turn to skip your opponents combat phase. 

Pairing it with a Zelous Conscript means a 2 mana Act of Treason every turn too.  

Those are the 2 I like for standard play besides the obvious Titan bombs, but for modern I like:

Bogardan Hellkite would be hard to get on the battlefield due to the two RR in it's mana cost, but bouncing that for 2 mana is pretty sick.

Here's your requested decklist for abusing Deadeye Navigator in an interesting way:

Creatures:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Cloud of Faeries
3 Coiling Oracle
4 Mystic Snake
4 Deadeye Navigator

Spells:
3 Abundant Growth
2 Silence
4 Mana Leak
4 Mana Short
4 Dire Undercurrents

Land:
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Simic Growth Chamber
6 Forest
6 Island

The plan is to get Deadeye out and paired up with Cloud of Faeries as soon as you have Dire Undercurrents in play.  Until then you can team him up with Coiling Oracle or Mystic Snake to help get you cards and get an uncounterable counterspell for Silence and Mana Short are there to make your opponent rather helpless as you make them draw up their whole deck.  Simic Growth Chamber is in the deck because it's fun to pair Cloud of Faeries up with lands that tap for more than one mana.

Hope you liked the deck.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

EDIT:  Nevermind, I'm an idiot.  I thought the Driver's ability was when it ETB, not when it dies.

Hehe, I just quoted your original text to point out that's what I was confused about; but instead your edit text became the quote xD.
This is my Deadeye Navigator deck.
3 Deadeye Navigator
3 Cloud of Faeries
3 Priest of Urabrask
2 Augury Owls
2 Chancellor of the Forge
2 Aether Adept
1 Anarchist
1 Blisterstick shaman
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Cryptic Annelid
3 Deathforge Shaman
2 Deciever Exarch

2 Banefire
2 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Comet Storm
1 Demonfire
2 Invoke the Firemind
2 Foresee
3 Ghostly Flicker

8 Mountain
6 Island
2 Steam Vents
3 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Cascade Bluffs
2 Evolving Wilds

Sideboard:
1 Blisterstick Shaman
1 Conquering Manticore
2 Skitter of Lizards
2 Braingeyser
2 Cackling Counterpart
2 Condescend
2 Dominate
1 Chancellor of the forge
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Deathforge Shaman

So, the fun begins with our friend the Augury Owl. He helps set up the library when flickered, allowing us to start the combo. It works optimally if you have 2 Izzet Boilerworks in play. 2 Deadeye Navigators, one bonded with a Cloud of Faeries and the other bonded with a Priest of Urabrask. Flicker both, the Cloud untaps the Boilerworks which will pay to flicker them again, while the Priest nets you three red mana. Flicker them a few times and suddenly you've got alot of red mana to play around with, which makes the burn spells and overpriced creatures pretty darn happy. Plus, Aether Adept is there to play the janitor and clean up, and the Anarchist gives you your sorceries back. Isn't that nice?
Peregrine Drake.  Infinite mana.

Works well with High Tide Combo.  Once you have 4 islands, cast High Tide, drop the Drake, drop the navigator, and start blinking.  Finish with a big Blue Sun's Zenith or something.
I didn't go with an infinite combo, but here was my stab at it.

Creatures: 25

4x Champion of Lambholt - Gets bigger everytime you flicker
3x Deadeye Navigator - Duh
4x Kitchen Finks - Repeatable life gain
4x Mystic Snake - No means NO!
4x Noble Hierarch - Ramp
4x Spellskite - For when you find yourself short on mana
2x Wolfir Silverheart - Makes any creature huge

Other Spells: 13
3x Aura Shards - Repeated removal
3x Mana Leak - For when you don't have the snake
4x Ponder - Filter
3x Ranger's Guile - To protect your combo

Land: 22
2x Flooded Grove
6x Forest
4x Hinterland Harbor
5x Island
1x Mystic Gate
1x Wooded Bastion
3x Breeding Pool

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Why not a  Sneak Attack deck? Cast any creature from your hand, attack with it and flicker it. This means you can cast any creature and give it haste for 1RU. This also makes all of your creatures uncounterable. With red acceleration ( Desperate RitualPyretic RitualSeething Song) you could cast sneak attack as early as turn 2 or 3. Deadeye Navigator  can sneaked in as of turn 4 with another creature to be sacrificed, sneak both in and flicker the navigator, the sacrifice can attack so it won`t be in vain.

From there it becomes what creatures to add. Being in blue and red gives a lot of big flyers to choose from and ones with abilites would be even better. Bogardan Hellkite would be one good example as both a big flier and its nice comes into play ability.

Sneak attack requires the creatures to be in hand so some card draw is needed. Mulldrifter is potenitially insane is this deck. Who could say no to drawing 4 cards for 1RU and don't forget the added ability to draw 2 for 1U at instant speed by flickering at any time.

You would probably want to add a few counters and removal. If you are woried about having open mana for them, a bonus of using sneak attack is that it's instant speed, you can wait for your opponent's turn if you wish.
Sign In to post comments