D&D Next Forgotten Realms

So I don't know about everyone else, but I think the Rise of the Underdark is a pretty cool storyline. Lolth attempting to fill Mystra's shoes, reweave the web of magic. Maybe dispel the spell-plague; and of course stir up lots of chaos all along the way.

My question is: if this is being released as a 4e product, is it premature to think that this may be the ground for a FR reboot for D&DNext?
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own." --Gary Gygax
So I don't know about everyone else, but I think the Rise of the Underdark is a pretty cool storyline. Lolth attempting to fill Mystra's shoes, reweave the web of magic. Maybe dispel the spell-plague; and of course stir up lots of chaos all along the way.

My question is: if this is being released as a 4e product, is it premature to think that this may be the ground for a FR reboot for D&DNext?

I am hoping this is what they are intending.  They need to bring D&D next FR in with a story, not an abrupt change like they did with 4e.  I am not a fan of 4e realms but I make due with it mostly because of the work of the fantastic authors.

I am exciting about this encounter season, and I cannot wait to DM the games.  I am anxious to see how this turns out.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!

I don't believe they will be going for a "reboot", per se. At least, I don't believe they will wipe the slate clean and no longer provide material for the post-Spellplague Realms. RSEs have always popped up when a new edition was on the horizon. The Time of Troubles ushered in 2E, the return of Shade ushered in 3E, and the Spellplague ushered in 4E. As of now, I can only see Rise of the Underdark as following in that tradition, ushering in 5E but continuing the progression of storyline in its current form. Given that people have expressed a strong interest in seeing all ages of the Realms playable with 5E, I could see RotU undoing several of the changes introduced by the Spellplague, but I don't see it undoing all, or even many, of the changes introduced with the Spellplague Years. 

Truth be told, I would be very pleased to see 5E address the Realms in all its incarnations. Whether this will actually happen is another story, and I'm not going to get my hopes up, but still, it would be nice.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Down with the #spellplague!

... a wait, this is not tweeter XD

Viva Chile mierrrr...!!!

I would like to clarify from before.  I am not hoping it a reboot, I am hoping it a good story lead to a new realms that can leave the Spellplague as a footnote.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
So far they essentially said "no reboot, but we're providing some material that allows you to play in the past along with material that is set in the unchanged present"
I'm glad others are hoping for the same. I personally like how the story is evolving. I guess I was wondering if the Drow invasion would be over by the time of the final Next release. My intuition says it would. 'Cause all comments put Next into 2013. And a years worth of D&D Encounters in 4e could move the plotline along significantly. Then when Next officially releases it would allow for a redrawing of the political FR map. And my hopes are that Lolth is left in charge of the weave. Even though having Lolth in charge of the weave is a little scary I'm kind of excited about what that means for mages. There are just all kinds of cool possibilities entering my mind.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own." --Gary Gygax
Sign In to post comments